You are not logged in.

#76 2011-12-14 08:23:21

c00kiemon5ter
Website

Re: dminiwm snapwm & bipolarbar

hellomynameisphil wrote:
c00kiemon5ter wrote:

Hi everyone, I've been working on dminiwm lately on my own repo.

Fun! I have changed its name to monsterwm so it doesn't conflict with dminiwm.

Small typo: I think you mean 'MONOCLE' rather than 'MONOCYCLE'. Although monocycles are pretty cool:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … G_0161.JPG

oh, lol yeah tongue

also great (re)name big_smile
I changed to that name too
thnx

Last edited by c00kiemon5ter (2011-12-14 09:28:15)

.:[ git me! ] :.

#77 2011-12-14 10:34:30

moetunes

hellomynameisphil wrote:

The new switch_mode functions are crashing dminiwm for me. Here is my config.h, which is based on my config from older versions.

I've spent the last day with the new format with no problems and the last half hour with the same defines as in your config.h again with no problems so it might be a use case issue again. What are you trying to do that crashes the wm ?

edit: @ c00kiemon5ter Thanks for recognising dminiwm in your files. Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2011-12-14 10:51:35)

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#78 2011-12-14 11:43:09

hellomynameisphil
Website

When I hit any of the keybindings to switch modes using my config.h, dminiwm exits.

I'll try re-building my config.h from the new version.

EDIT: No joy.

Last edited by hellomynameisphil (2011-12-14 11:57:11)

#79 2011-12-14 12:14:30

moetunes

hellomynameisphil wrote:

When I hit any of the keybindings to switch modes using my config.h, dminiwm exits.

I'll try re-building my config.h from the new version.

EDIT: No joy.

I've rebuilt dminiwm using the same defines as in your config.h, rebooted into it and spent half an hour opening/closing apps, changing modes and desktops and I couldn't make the window manager crash. I don't know why it is a problem for you...

#80 2011-12-14 19:47:23

moetunes

@ hellomynameisphil
Comment line 686 in dminiwm.c about XFree and rebuild it and see how it goes.

#81 2011-12-15 02:15:04

mhertz

@moetunes

Do you have any plans on adding tagging support to dminiwm at some point in the future?

I'm using dwm, and the only gui app I use is my web-browser dwb, and I then do all the tiling with tmux, which I run in tag1(term) and then have the browser in tag2(web), but some times, when I need to see the web and the terms together, then I use dwm's tagging function to see tag1+2, so I have the browser and tmux open together.

Of course I could just open another term or tmux-session on the web tag, but I preffer to do it the way described above, and so wanted to hear if you where considering tagging support, as this is the only thing which keeps me to dwm and away from dminiwm I think...

#82 2011-12-15 17:12:45

hellomynameisphil
Website

@moetunes: latest pull of dminiwm plus fresh config.h fixes my issue.

#83 2011-12-19 00:53:33

c00kiemon5ter
Website

I just announced monsterwm here.
again, thanks moetunes for dminiwm and hellomynameisphil for the name smile

.:[ git me! ] :.

#84 2011-12-22 18:49:19

moetunes

Sorry for the slow response, I've been holidaying and it's been great big_smile

@ hellomynameisphil. I was experimenting and it was working fine here. Thanks for speaking up and sorry for the inconvenience.

@ mhertz. Tagging in dminiwm? Nope. If I thought tagging was a good solution I would have saved myself alot of work and stayed with dwm. With your example you could open tmux and dwb on the one desktop in fullscreen mode and switch to vertical mode to view them together. I don't see how having the same browser opened at the same page multiple times could be considered a good solution to anything.

edit: dminiwm has a client_to_desktop function which, if FOLLOW_WINDOW is set to 0 in the config, will work sorta like tagging does except it takes the focused window to another desktop and focuses that desktop so comparisons or whatever can be made then, using that function again, you go back with the window to it's original desktop. There's no crowding if multiple windows are on the desktops and no multiple instances of applications like with tagging.

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2011-12-22 19:30:58)

#85 2011-12-22 21:12:05

moetunes

I think this might make things a bit more user freindly.
I've removed the option to follow the window from the config and added keyboard shortcuts to either follow the window or not.

{  MOD1|ShiftMask,   K,        follow_client_to_desktop, {.i = N}}, \
    {  MOD4|ShiftMask,   K,        client_to_desktop, {.i = N}},

Cheers

#86 2011-12-22 21:26:37

mhertz

moetunes wrote:

I don't see how having the same browser opened at the same page multiple times could be considered a good solution to anything.

Okay, then lets agree to disagree then smile I like tagging's ability to make workspaces dynamic, so that you in addition to using them like regular workspaces, then you additionally get the option of mixing and matching apps from different tags/workspaces and into the current view... If the same app where opened multiple times, then it would be sub-optimal, but as it's just the "view" that dynamically changes, then I see no downsides and only upsides...

Anyway, thanks for your reply!

#87 2011-12-23 13:56:15

hellomynameisphil
Website

Feature request: How would you feel about giving the user the ability to toggle the status bar gap via a keyboard shortcut?

#88 2011-12-23 19:23:20

moetunes

hellomynameisphil wrote:

Feature request: How would you feel about giving the user the ability to toggle the status bar gap via a keyboard shortcut?

Sure. There's a shortcut in the config now for it .

{  MOD1,             XK_b,          toggle_panel,      {NULL}},

Cheers

#89 2011-12-24 02:43:49

hellomynameisphil
Website

moetunes wrote:

Sure. There's a shortcut in the config now for it .

Thank you sir!

Question: when I use the keyboard shortcut to quit dminiwm, it kills all windows but doesn't actually quit dminiwm. If I hit the keyboard shortcut again, then it works, but appears to complain of a forced shutdown. Is this behaviour a bug or a feature? If bug, is it just a bug for me on my Eee PC or can it be reproduced by others?

#90 2011-12-24 07:37:51

moetunes

hellomynameisphil wrote:

Question: when I use the keyboard shortcut to quit dminiwm, it kills all windows but doesn't actually quit dminiwm. If I hit the keyboard shortcut again, then it works, but appears to complain of a forced shutdown. Is this behaviour a bug or a feature? If bug, is it just a bug for me on my Eee PC or can it be reproduced by others?

It should be like that for everyone as that's how the quit function has been set up to work since, I think, the start of catwm. I just assumed it was dzen started from .xinitrc that made the second use of the quit keyboard shortcut necessary here. I could probably make it simpler easy enough.

edit: I did some experimentin' and found out it is both urxvtd and conky piped through dzen, which are started from .xinitrc here,  which don't close so the second press of the keyboard shortcut is needed.

edit2: I changed the quit function to exit on the first keypress and pushed it to git. It exits nearly as nice as before but if an app complains alot let me know.

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2011-12-24 08:59:22)

#91 2011-12-24 11:58:24

topcat-software
Website

Moe, this is a very nice (& thankfully brief) wm. Other than the odd transient window, its gave me virtually no problems, many thanks.

#92 2011-12-24 14:13:36

hellomynameisphil
Website

moetunes wrote:

edit2: I changed the quit function to exit on the first keypress and pushed it to git. It exits nearly as nice as before but if an app complains alot let me know.

Thanks again; look forward to trying it.

#93 2011-12-27 00:56:17

moetunes

Turns out what was needed was a better send_kill_signal function rather than a different quit function. I've fixed that and pushed it to git. Everything should exit nicely now.

Cheers

#94 2011-12-27 06:37:21

hellomynameisphil
Website

Hmmmm, the quit function in 0.2.6 doesn't work at all for me. But I tweaked my config.h so that I am spawning 'killall dminiwm' instead and that works fine! :-)

#95 2011-12-27 14:38:30

moetunes

hellomynameisphil wrote:

Hmmmm, the quit function in 0.2.6 doesn't work at all for me. But I tweaked my config.h so that I am spawning 'killall dminiwm' instead and that works fine! :-)

Heh, it wasn't that it didn't work, you had an open app that was slow to close. I tried different apps and found thunderbird was one that can take a while to close(up to a minute sometimes). I gave up on trying to quit the wm the nice way like catwm tried to do and changed the function to just clear the memory that was allocated when a new window was made and exit. As for complaints on the tty after quitting it is now the same as dwm and fluxbox so that should be ok. And it exits pretty much straight away, first time now.
Catwms' kill_client function did some stuff then called the send_kill_signal function which did the same stuff again. I don't know why that was but now there's just the one function to kill a window.

Cheers

#96 2011-12-27 19:54:07

hellomynameisphil
Website

Yes, it seems like there is something in my .xinitrc which keeps it open. When I comment out background processes, dminiwm closes nicely with the native quit function. But 'killall dminiwm' still works better. smile

EDIT: the 'resize master' function doesn't seem to be working for me; is it just me?

Last edited by hellomynameisphil (2011-12-27 20:43:19)

#97 2011-12-27 20:58:13

moetunes

hellomynameisphil wrote:

EDIT: the 'resize master' function doesn't seem to be working for me; is it just me?

That was my bad. I should be experimenting in a different directory to the one I push to git with. Apologies for that it's fixed now.

Cheers

#98 2011-12-29 09:14:42

moetunes

Some snapwm news.
Reading the rc file has been fixed so colours and statusbar stuff can be changed easily now. I should have keyboard shortcuts in there "soon".
Conky or a script can be shown in the statusbar now. Start them the same way as for dwm. I was suprised how few lines that took. smile
Here's a pic :
tYnlueA

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2012-02-16 19:29:20)

#99 2011-12-29 21:14:26

moetunes

Some snapwm news.

The statusbar border colour (the fourth one in the rc file) wasn't updating - I forgot a couple of lines of code... - so that's fixed now and the text in the statusbar kept growing here so I've sorted that out too.
I'm suprised how little additional memory is used in snapwm considering it is dminiwm with a clickable desktop switcher, status area to show the current windows's name, has space to show conky output and has a reloadable rc file.
Here's a pic showing ps_mem.py output before and after changing font and colours in the rc file:
tYnowMw

Cheers

Last edited by moetunes (2012-02-16 19:30:06)

#100 2011-12-30 03:08:43

moetunes

Some snapwm news.

I forgot to put braces around the lines of code ^ I added and that made the desktop switcher do interesting things if the font was changed. I've fixed that and also now it doesn't matter how long any text in the statusbar is none will be overwritten.

Cheers

Board footer