You are not logged in.

#26 2011-10-27 15:58:43

mich04

Re: Mounting and Unmounting USB drives [Solved]

Well shotwell is able to fetch and download my pictures from my camera, but how do I use udisksvm I have not seen any screen shoots to work off of. I am using lxpanel because of its ease of use. How do I incorporate udisksvm into my desktop?

I love computers, networking and Arch Linux. Sometimes I might ask a stupid question, but please have grace with me like I would with you.

#27 2011-10-27 21:04:48

berbae

mich04 wrote:

I am using lxpanel because of its ease of use. How do I incorporate udisksvm into my desktop?

You need to enable the systray in lxpanel (maybe it's default in lxpanel, but not sure).
And read /usr/share/udisksvm/README where all is explained. I will not re-write it here; post if you have a problem.

There are screenshots at https://github.com/berbae/udisksvm

#28 2011-10-27 22:46:09

mich04

#xinitrc file
if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi
udisksvm &
udiskie &
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox-session

#rc.conf
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus network crond slim)

#autostart
lxpanel &
wbar &
numlock on &
#Detection of insertion of an optical disk
if ! pgrep -lf "udisks-daemon" polling /dev/sr0"; then
     udisks --poll-for-media /dev/sr0
fi

udisksvm >/dev/null & 

So system tray is enabled for lxpanel I had downloaded a graphical clipboard and it showed up in the tray. I have traydevice and udisksvm installed. I have rebooted. All my bars and everything are running REALLY great. I am happy that I made the switch from opensuse. Any other info I am home now and can post.

I love computers, networking and Arch Linux. Sometimes I might ask a stupid question, but please have grace with me like I would with you.

#29 2011-10-27 23:11:39

mich04

Update:
So I just installed parcellite again, because that did show up on my taskbar and now everything just popped up also the removable drives showed up in thunar too. I have not rebooted yet I am backing up all the files onto this computer. With arch linux though it should not take too long.

#30 2011-10-27 23:34:54

mich04

I just did a restart things are working perfectly I love arch linux. I was trying LFS for a while because I just wanted a base system. Arch linux is so much easier and exactly what I want. I did notice one thing when mounting. If you already have your flash drive in the computer when it is booting up the drive does not show up in system tray unless you unmount and mount it. Otherwise it is GREAT!!!!!

#31 2011-10-28 09:44:56

berbae

mich04 wrote:

If you already have your flash drive in the computer when it is booting up the drive does not show up in system tray unless you unmount and mount it. Otherwise it is GREAT!!!!!

If you are speaking about udisksvm, this is the expected behavior because when the script is launched no uevent will be generated if the flash drive is already plugged in, so udisksvm will see nothing happening then; it is for automounting when the computer is running and to un-mount/re-mount using mouse click after that. It is intended for removable media and optical disks when the computer is running.

In your post #28 I see that you launched udisksvm twice: in xinitrc and autostart.
You should not launched the script twice, keep only the one in the openbox autostart:

#Detection of insertion of an optical disk
if ! pgrep -lf "udisks-daemon" polling /dev/sr0"; then
     udisks --poll-for-media /dev/sr0
fi

udisksvm >/dev/null & 

Remove the one in xinitrc, it is not the right place to start the script.

Thanks for using it and for your feedback.

#32 2011-11-01 01:27:01

mich04

I need to add one more resource to this thread. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Th … tomounting The command pacman -S gvfs, and pacman -S gvfs-gphoto2 are needed I just installed arch linux on a second pc streamlined this help. I could only get the mounting to show up on the lxpanel system tray, then I ran those two commands and it worked in thunar.

Board footer