You are not logged in.

#576 2011-09-20 04:10:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: The Official Unofficial 'Arch is Best' Thread

I'm merging this into the official 'Arch is best' thread, since it belongs there (more properly, it doesn't really belong in its own thread).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#577 2011-09-22 15:43:41

ksovi

I just couldn't have said it better my self.
those are mostly the reasons why i can't leave this distro.

MatejLach wrote:

Why I dedicated for Arch:
- Rolling Release, (I REALLY like such concept)
- Pacman, (best package manager ever!)
- The Arch Way, (KISS, BSD-style configs and ports-like ABS mainly)
- Community
- Focus only on x86 and x64, not many platforms with poor development activity as other distros.
- Because Arch is independent, community-driven distro, without large corporaion behind its development.
- It is not just another *buntu or *whateverhat.
- Because of the challenge if I could install it, (but because I successfully installed FreeBSD and OpenBSD many times, I was quite comfortable).

#578 2011-09-28 15:34:42

scjet
Banned

If it wasn't for Arch, I would definitely go back to good 'ole FreeBSD/Unix on my PC's.
No wait, since MacOSX is "really" based on FreeBSD/Unix ( aka Darwin in-breeding ), then I would just go to a Mac,
No then again, wait-a-minute, I can't afford $5K-> $12k for an Apple Mortgage !? sad

Soooo, ya, Arch is actually JUUUUUUUUSSST RIGHT !
(...but, I still love FreeBSD too)

smile
cheers',

Last edited by scjet (2011-09-28 15:43:06)

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

#579 2011-10-01 20:55:40

abtinf

I just want to say: Thank you Arch!

Years ago, I was a windows user. With Vista on the horizon, I realized that I had no viable upgrade path to continue with a usable system. So I made a hard switch to Linux and have used Ubuntu for five years. Now, Ubuntu is posing the same threat that Microsoft did - I personally *hate* unity, gnome3, and kde4+. I don't ever again want to be at the mercy of some distro gods that think they know my computing needs better than I do. Arch has given me somewhere to escape to, and I can't wait until I'm done migrating my machines over to it.

Thanks again!

#580 2011-10-12 08:36:51

Lennie

I've been running Arch for 1 week now and I just love it! big_smile
It's freedom, I can choose exactly what I want to  install and how to configure it, and the great wiki teach how to do it.  I learn to know my OS and I can get better control over it. Nothing is forced upon me against my will.

#581 2011-10-19 21:08:57

pmd

I get back to Arch after two years and I'm really happy about that. I was using mostly Debian (testing) and Ubuntu (10.04 and 10.10). Debian is fast, have nice package management etc., but it miss something like AUR. When some app is not in repo, sometimes it's a pain to compile it. Ubuntu is also nice distro, basically everything was working for me just out of the box, but it's performance compared to Arch is joke. Why I am writing this?

Screw the phoronix's test, Arch is more faster than Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10. I dont need any tests to see that. Just sayin.

#582 2011-10-20 18:29:35

maddog39
Website

I'm not particularly active around here on the forums too much. However, I've been using Arch since ~2007 (0.8 or so) and use arch on everything from my production servers, home server, all my desktops and laptops and my 2 workstations at work. Wouldn't use anything else... abandoned Debian long ago... smile

#583 2011-10-25 12:46:08

junkie

So it seems I'm much like you guys.. Been around the penguin's block for ages, tried several distros, discovered Arch, and I'm sticking to it for now. What I most like about it:

- rolling release concept
- very well maintained repos + AUR, up-to-date packages (not like Ubuntu, or Debian, some packages over there are 2 years old)
- good wiki, good forums
- very good base system from you can go anywhere, build it to your liking

Unfortunately I cannot abandon Windows totally, there are some software that don't have any OS counterparts, or need HW performance a VM or wine can't deliver.
Also, building and maintaining an Arch setup is a pain in the ass, I couldn't do it on a day-to-day basis, sometimes you just don't have the time and energy to fix something when it comes up right there. It is a good hobby, though smile

#584 2011-10-27 13:59:34

vic

Just a moment ago, I'm having a certain problem in my arch and I posted that issue here. After some discussion, I was able to fix my arch. Just saying, I appreciate the Arch Community about it's responsiveness and the effort to help other arch users. Thanks guys. big_smile

#585 2011-10-27 15:15:54

Parmazae

I've found the Arch community to be an outstanding bunch with some incredibly knowledgeable individuals.  From what I've seen, most problems get solved rather quickly smile.

Thanks,
Parmazae

archlinux x86_64

#586 2011-10-28 00:28:23

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

vic wrote:

Just a moment ago, I'm having a certain problem in my arch and I posted that issue here. After some discussion, I was able to fix my arch. Just saying, I appreciate the Arch Community about it's responsiveness and the effort to help other arch users. Thanks guys. big_smile

Just saying, there's already a thread for this, merging with "The Official Unofficial 'Arch is Best' Thread"

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#587 2011-10-28 15:27:21

mot.def

I've been using Arch for about a week now. I've been using mostly Windows, though I had a little Linux experience from using Xubuntu on my netbook, but not a fluent understanding.

The Arch community is so polite and helpful, and the documentation so comprehensive, that any hurdles along the way never took more than an hour to clear (the most challenging one being having to reconfigure xorg-server after attempting to switch from xf86 video drivers to Catalyst). The system itself is so fast and customizable that I've been mentally kicking myself for not trying this earlier. I'm running XFCE with Compiz, and it looks great and is really easy to use.

#588 2011-10-30 02:37:06

Reki

I am actually a distro-hopper, and finally stopped here in Arch. I like how you have to do everything yourself, which makes you learn more about the internal workings of Linux. The wiki is also very detailed, and the Arch community is very helpful. Many problems I've seen get solved before the next day even starts.

#589 2011-11-01 00:42:42

nomilieu

I recently had this wild idea to set up a few thin clients, but had never before done so.
Between the convenience of pacman and the Arch repos, as well as the straightforward Arch configuration, I was up and running diskless in no time!

Thanks yet again, devs and contributors.

#590 2011-11-01 13:45:02

mich04

Arch is by far the best, I ahve been struggling trying to find the right distro for years. I had been using opensuse, which is great for automagic configuration. It takes so many resources though. Virtualbox was always dragging and It always seemed kind of buggy to me. I was trying LFS, but the process was taking way too long. I got on Arch linux, It took me a couple of hours the first time just to figure things out. I installed it on my main computer, 30 minutes. My internet speed on opensuse was hitting 500-600 KB download speeds on Arch I am hitting 1500. Also It is nice only having the programs that I want. Thank you arch team I hope that things continue to go ina positive manner. Maybe after I take a few more classes and get degree I will help with Arch.

I love computers, networking and Arch Linux. Sometimes I might ask a stupid question, but please have grace with me like I would with you.

#591 2011-11-01 14:26:11

SanskritFritz
Website

mich04 wrote:

My internet speed on opensuse was hitting 500-600 KB download speeds on Arch I am hitting 1500.

I honestly don't think that is Arch specific. There must be another reason for this, unless you speak about packages download that could explain this.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#592 2011-11-04 15:17:34

wejagem

I've been using Arch Linux for a few months now and I love it! I started with a dual boot installation (Arch + Windows 7), but now I switched over to Arch Linux entirely. It is by far the best Linux distribution I worked with. I also liked the installation procedure very much. I admit it was difficult at first, but when the installation was finished and my desktop environment was set up I learned so much about linux and I liked that very much! All thanks to the best linux documentation I ever read. I want to thank all programmers responsible for this great operating system and keep up the good work!

#593 2011-11-04 16:26:01

ambientzoo

Yep. Arch has caused me the least amount of hassle of any o/s I've used (ie... none). I spent some time during the summer playing around with various windows 7 installs, but summer's over now and I'm back home :-) I missed the arch way and superior software management. And qjackctl now reports <10m latency with *no* xruns! (well, it's important to me at least)

Stephen

#594 2011-11-13 01:32:55

scottmuz

Thanks arch-linux!

I had been a ubuntu user for 5 years, but when the partition with my OS corrupted itself a couple of weeks ago I decided to opt of a change.

Installed arch with xfce and got it all going within a few hours. I love the minimalistic philosophy of arch. You install what you want and need. No bloat-ware.

I have a 4 year old desktop and with each ubuntu release it had been getting slower and slower. With arch the PC feels like it is new.

#595 2011-11-17 16:56:18

Shark

Hi all

I know this post is somewhat sentimental but i have to write it anyway smile

Now i have Arch on my system for quite a few months and i am really satisfied. Right when i started to use Arch and this forums i was somewhat "negative" about the community and "kindness" of the members because they were not holding my hands smile

Well, this "off-holding hands" contributed to the self-solving of problems and in the last resort community always helped me in positive way because i don't really have any problems with my Arch and the system never crashed - yet smile)

So, just keeping the good job and it is the first time in my history of using the GNU/Linux that i have stayed (beside Ubuntu - i  was using it for 2 years) with the distribution so long.

I found my home smile

Sentimental, right smile

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#596 2011-11-17 17:34:54

bangkok_manouel

Shark wrote:

community always helped me in positive way because i don't really have any problems

quote of the day tongue

#597 2011-11-17 17:41:27

Shark

hehehe, yeah, i just shoot sentences smile

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#598 2011-11-17 20:16:24

drcouzelis
Website

It feels like I installed Arch Linux "just yesterday". I can't believe it's already been over two years, and with no re-installations.

The Arch Way and rolling releases has definitely been the best Linux experience I've ever had.

#599 2011-11-17 20:43:47

swanson

The non bloated rolling is great.!

#600 2011-11-17 20:46:41

fsckd
Forum Fellow

mod action: Merged Shark's thread. Original title "So happy :)".

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Board footer