You are not logged in.

#976 2015-01-24 01:51:11

rklinux

Re: The Official Unofficial 'Arch is Best' Thread

THANK YOU!
For all of you who have worked on this wonderful distribution and the many more smart folks who answer all the problems - a big thank you - I am hooked (have been for the last 8 months now).
- my systems running arch - every computer I have, including several desktops and my joy - a fujitsu T904 laptop.

- Now if only I can iron out all the fun little bugs with running enlightenment (yes, this is my WM/DM of choice)

just learning, or trying to:-)

#977 2015-01-24 02:19:54

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Arch is the Best thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#978 2015-02-05 12:56:18

t0m5k1

In all my years of using linux have I had such a hassle free time installing a printer/scanner/copier!
Today I bought a Canon MG2550
Took it home plugged it in & within 10 minutes it was fully functional!
In the past I have battled for at least a day getting these infernal devices to work with linux but this is the first time in about 5 years that I have needed to use one in linux.
It is either down to the documentation on the wiki, new software or a combination of the two but lil things like this keep me using Arch.

Thanks to all the dev's that work tirelessly on all the packages we all use with no thought of you
Thanks to all the chief dev's that keep everything in check
Thanks to all who contribute to the wiki - without you it would not be what many consider the online linux bible.
Thanks to all who contribute to any part of Arch & the community be it moderation, admin whatever.

I have used many distros but Arch is my ::1

Perhaps one day when my life is not so hectic I will contribute in some way

Last edited by t0m5k1 (2015-02-05 12:56:29)

ROG Strix (GD30CI) - Intel Core i5-7400 CPU - 32Gb 2400Mhz - GTX1070 8GB - AwesomeWM (occasionally XFCE, i3)

If everything in life was easy, we would learn nothing!
Linux User: 401820  Steam-HearThis.at-Last FM-Reddit

#979 2015-02-05 13:34:07

nomorewindows

You should've went out and bought one of those 3D printers, 2D printers are getting so passe these days. 3D printers are running Linux onboard!

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#980 2015-02-05 22:55:24

t0m5k1

nomorewindows wrote:

You should've went out and bought one of those 3D printers, 2D printers are getting so passe these days. 3D printers are running Linux onboard!

LOL

ROG Strix (GD30CI) - Intel Core i5-7400 CPU - 32Gb 2400Mhz - GTX1070 8GB - AwesomeWM (occasionally XFCE, i3)

If everything in life was easy, we would learn nothing!
Linux User: 401820  Steam-HearThis.at-Last FM-Reddit

#981 2015-03-10 17:00:01

KeyKobra09

I was using windows until a year ago when i got a new computer. It came with ubuntu on it and since then, i didn't even bother booting into windows. I only played cs go anyway and i could play it very well on ubuntu. I also did some research on the tehnical side of ubuntu (learned what the heck was happening). On a forum i saw a post saying that arch linux is the heaven for anyone who likes to customize his OS to the max. I was always dissapointed because of the lack of customization options on windows and ubuntu. Now that i learned that Arch is the heaven of customization and DIY, i am really into it. I am currently dual-booting windows and ubuntu (with the grub bootloader).

My question is, will i handle arch with only 1 year of ubuntu experience or should i read some C/C++ books before( I heard that is the language that all linuxes are made of ). I thing i can handle the installation ( because of the awsome guides that you guys made ) and i think i will enjoy arch. But will i be able to triple-boot arch ubuntu and windows or can i simply "overwrite" Ubuntu and forget about it? I also thought I may have to become more familiar with the tehnical side of linux by using another distro for a time before i actually install Arch, or else i will feel like a peasant in a big city. Thanks in advance guys.

#982 2015-03-10 17:03:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Merging with the Should I go Arch thread...

#983 2015-03-10 17:09:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

KeyKobra09 wrote:

My question is, will i handle arch with only 1 year of ubuntu experience...

You absolutely could - given you have other important abilities.  Experience with other linuxes is not nearly as important as a more general ability and willingness to learn.  One of archlinux's greatest strengths is the wiki.  An ability and willingness to spend a little time learning and reading (and a bit of patience) as you run into little challenges are really the only things I see as prerequistes to using arch.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#984 2015-03-10 17:09:30

nullified

KeyKobra09 wrote:

My question is, will i handle arch with only 1 year of ubuntu experience or should i read some C/C++ books before( I heard that is the language that all linuxes are made of ). I thing i can handle the installation ( because of the awsome guides that you guys made ) and i think i will enjoy arch. But will i be able to triple-boot arch ubuntu and windows or can i simply "overwrite" Ubuntu and forget about it? I also thought I may have to become more familiar with the tehnical side of linux by using another distro for a time before i actually install Arch, or else i will feel like a peasant in a big city. Thanks in advance guys.

You certainly don't need C/C++ experience. It also depends on how much Linux experience you've had while using Ubuntu. It's pretty easy to use Ubuntu without ever really learning about Linux. You should be comfortable at the command line, at the least. Add that to a desire to learn about Linux and I'd say go for it. Any answers more specific will require specifics about your knowledge of Linux, i.e. what kind of experience you've had on Ubuntu.

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

#985 2015-03-10 17:17:04

drcouzelis
Website

KeyKobra09 wrote:

should i read some C/C++ books before( I heard that is the language that all linuxes are made of ).

Goodness, NO. Most Arch Linux users are not programmers. Don't learn C or C++ unless you want to be a C or C++ programmer. tongue

The only thing you need to install Arch Linux is the Beginner's Guide. If there's anything in it that you don't understand, then you can follow the links and learn more about it.

KeyKobra09 wrote:

But will i be able to triple-boot arch ubuntu and windows or can i simply "overwrite" Ubuntu and forget about it?

Yes and no...

Yes, because Arch Linux can replace Ubuntu.

No, because it will take time before you are finished setting up Arch Linux how you like it. This may take a couple hours, days, or even weeks. I don't think installing Arch Linux is hard, but after you finish installing it I think you will say to yourself, "WOW! This is amazing! But it's not quite the way I want it. So how do I..." and you will spend a lot of time configuring your system. Keep this in mind if you need to use your compture for work or homework or any other business.

KeyKobra09 wrote:

I also thought I may have to become more familiar with the tehnical side of linux by using another distro for a time before i actually install Arch, or else i will feel like a peasant in a big city.

The best way to become familiar with Arch Linux is to use Arch Linux. Consider installing it in VirtualBox (in Ubuntu) to learn more about it. smile

#986 2015-03-10 18:44:41

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

KeyKobra09 wrote:

My question is, will i handle arch with only 1 year of ubuntu experience

Yes.

I started using Arch as my main system three months after I started using GNU/Linux (Xubuntu was my first distribution).

As long as you like learning new skills and are not averse to reading lots of wiki & man pages, you will be fine.
smile

#987 2015-03-11 13:17:27

poiuyt23

When you are ready for Arch:
You use the Arch wiki to solve the problems and bugs you find in other distros until it dawns on you that installing Arch and having the directions that you are reading line up with what is on your current computer would be easier than translating them to your current distro.

#988 2015-03-24 01:26:07

molux

Frequent Linux.com contributor, Swapnil Bhartiya, shares 5 great reasons to choose Arch Linux as your main distro on ITWorld:

http://www.itworld.com/article/2898189/ … d-too.html

#989 2015-03-24 02:08:20

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

molux wrote:

Frequent Linux.com contributor, Swapnil Bhartiya, shares 5 great reasons to choose Arch Linux as your main distro on ITWorld:

Starts off by linking an installation "guide" (which at the end goes pacman -Sy), then quotes like:

It’s more or less like a ‘stock’ Android experience where you use what the upstream developed.

To make the process even simpler there are tools like Yaourt

etc. I don't quite get the Android thing, does he mean the Play store?

But nice sentiment, I guess. Just not something I'd link to myself.

Last edited by Alad (2015-03-24 02:13:03)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#990 2015-03-24 02:26:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

someone wrote:

Frequent Arch BBS contributor, JWR, shares five great reasons to choose Arch Linux as your main distro:

5. Endless tinkering will consume your life and make you seem "intense" and "mysterious"
4. Telling people at every opportunity that you run Arch will trigger a heady rush of pheromones
3. Only by running Arch can you unlock the easter egg to grant truly l337 haxx0rn355
2. Having the latest software bestows superiority over others
1. When LP seizes control through systemd, Arch users will be his Myrmidons...

#991 2015-04-11 04:18:35

SirMyztiq

Alad wrote:
molux wrote:

Starts off by linking an installation "guide" (which at the end goes pacman -Sy), then quotes like:

It’s more or less like a ‘stock’ Android experience where you use what the upstream developed.

To make the process even simpler there are tools like Yaourt

etc. I don't quite get the Android thing, does he mean the Play store?

But nice sentiment, I guess. Just not something I'd link to myself.

I believe the Android reference is about how few phone retailers use stock Android. Samsung for example use a tweaked version of Android like TouchWiz and their users usually have to wait to get updates.

This is not a factor if you have a device like the Nexus 6 that runs stock Android from Google devs and are the first to get updates. No tweaking by phone manufacturers.

#992 2015-04-13 13:17:27

MikeXD_123

For me it was simply the fact that I wanted to learn more about linux, and I knew Arch would force me to do that. I read (and am reading) the wiki constantly to learn the ins and outs about Arch. If not only for the reason that Arch teaches you more about linux, then switch because it is just FUN! Getting things setup the way you want it is rewarding, and I love trying something new, like a new desktop environment or display manager. I even played around with Wayland a bit. I love being able to just use my home computer as a test-bed for coming up with new ways to learn and have fun with linux. smile

I'm Mike - proud member of the open source community, a linux user, and student of information technology cool
"You have controlled your fear. Now, release your anger. Only your hatred can destroy me. Come to the dark side, Sarah. We have cookies." - Linus Torvalds

#993 2015-04-14 02:30:11

sesese9
Website

Skyxer wrote:

Computer Engineering

1. How is that type of Degree? I am looking into that degree...
2. Arch is great! Usually the issues that can happen are fixed.
3. Have fun!

Just trying to figure things out in this world

#994 2015-05-08 13:40:42

woznme

I just want to thank everyone who puts the effort in to maintaining Arch, Its really something else. Not sure what i'd do without it. big thumbs up! Since i am no package/linux guru all i can do is hit the donate button. Keep up the great work.

#995 2015-05-08 14:22:50

runical

woznme wrote:

Since i am no package/linux guru all i can do is hit the donate button.

Then become one tongue (On a serious note, packaging is not that hard for Arch)

Keep up the great work.

I wholeheartedly agree with you there smile

#996 2015-05-08 17:15:52

magnetux

Yes... I'm using Debian since almost 15 years (started with Slackware) and Arch Linux is the first distro that give me fun. I mean, I don't play video games but I like puzzle games, I'm playing with Linux like I was playing with Lego. Arch Linux "bricks" are very usable for a moderate geek like me. Not too small (like source based distros) not too big (like Ubuntu, SUSE and so on). You can create your personal dream OS with minimal packages and configure everything. Total control.

I don't know. It's the first time I think about an other distro than Debian. I'm happy and sad at the same time. Debian is in my heart, my Jessie is perfect, stable and configured with love. I can't sleep with an other girl, can I?

#997 2015-05-08 18:51:42

drcouzelis
Website

magnetux wrote:

Debian is in my heart, my Jessie is perfect, stable and configured with love. I can't sleep with an other girl, can I?

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs8/i/2005/3 … zo_kun.jpg

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs9/i/2006/0 … zo_kun.jpg

Fight! big_smile

#998 2015-05-08 19:51:54

magnetux

Seriously, it's the first time I think to quit Debian and it makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to be rude with other distros, especially Ubuntu, the philosophy of Windows with the interface of Mac OS, no I don't want to. It's not the place. Gentoo is great but I don't have the level or the will to learn more. Arch Linux is in the middle, perfect for my knowledge and my needs. I have to confess maybe I prefer Parabola because it's completely free (libre) but my Macbook Air requires closed-source drivers (for the WiFi or I missed something ?).

#999 2015-05-08 19:55:30

runical

magnetux wrote:

Seriously, it's the first time I think to quit Debian and it makes me uncomfortable.

Sometimes, you need to move on from the relationship [bla bla, relationship advice I'm not qualified to give] tongue

#1000 2015-05-08 20:30:33

magnetux

runical wrote:

Sometimes, you need to move on from the relationship

I know, I know. Arch is in the middle between Debian that I love and Gentoo that I envy. The easy way of (very recent) prebuild packages and the easy way to compile from (very recent) sources with AUR.

(V)RMS, help me!

magnetux@computer ~ % vrms
ca-certificates-cacert: ['custom:RDL']

Non-free packages: 1

However, there are 83 ambiguously licensed packages that vrms cannot certify.

With my minimalist Weston install.

That's a philosophic question. Keep it simple, stupid, but not too much.

Anyway, thank you so much Arch, you're my best Linux surprise since many many years.

Board footer