cnshzj007
Website

Re: The Official Unofficial 'Arch is Best' Thread

I can not agree with you more.

#202 2008-03-29 17:56:18

whaler

Granular Linux is fantastic! wink

Archlinux is more fun, though. A big thank you to each and every one who contributed to this fine distro!

#203 2008-03-29 23:58:48

millerl

Been using linux as my main workstation os for about 7 years.  Started with RedHat 7.3, 8 and on to Fedora.  At that point I really wanted to see what else was out there.  Tried Mandrake, SuSe, and Slackware which I stayed with few about a year.  I just found Slack to be too hard to keep up to date without breaking things (I am still learning!).  I made my way to Gentoo.  There I stayed for about 4 years.  I still love Gentoo, but Arch is stealing my heart.

And as ewl said:

ewl wrote:

Arch has the simplicity of slackware with the ease of use of debian...

And yet, with ABS and AUR, Arch also has all the power of Gentoo without the hassle!

I've already got Arch on my main workstation and my laptop.  I think I'll make myself at home and stay a while.  Thanks to all that have made Arch happen.

#204 2008-04-02 19:46:19

alkali1471

using linux from december, and started with ubuntu. great distro to learn difference between \Program Files and /usr/share...
but... i have slow celeron with tiny ram, and i hate calculattors and calendars bundeled with os-s, arch is great! ive installed what i want (even calendar big_smile), its easy to update, and it makes you think, ubuntu made me lazy and stupid. its much easyer to learn with arch, nice community and wiki!
ideal!

#205 2008-04-10 20:23:09

Cyrusm

so here is my "arch is the best distro ever" story.   It all started a year or so ago when I bought a really cheap computer from Fry's Electronics, because I was uber poor and didn't have the cash for a nice smokin machine.  It, of course, came standard with Windows Vista.  long story short, Vista doesn't run too well with a cheap Sempron processor and only 512 MB of Ram.  I could have upgraded my hardware, but that costs money, and at the time I was living off of ramen noodles and hope.  a freind of mine at work recommended Ubuntu, which I subsequently put on my machine and used for a few months, I think it was a great stepping stone into the linux world.  what I didn't like about Ubuntu is it's a lot like windows in that you rarely if ever have to open the command line and everything is done FOR you, leaving you without much control or power over your computer, my machine, although running better, was still slow. and it was difficult to get the help I was looking for in the Ubuntu Forums because I would get 27 conflicting answers for every problem, not to mention the overwhelming number of trolls!  It was actually a moderator on the Ubuntu forums that recommended Arch for me.  Arch was definitely a learning experience!  I love how simple it is, making it easy to learn and providing AMAZING amounts of power for the user! I love how small it is, combined with Fluxbox, it uses hardly any system resources, leaving processor power and memory free for what I want to do.  and probably the best part about it is, due to the small and elite number of people using arch, it's easy to get high quality answers to all of my questions here on the forum.  I just bought a laptop a couple days ago and of course arch was my first choice.  now, with 2 computers running arch I have a million more possiblities and projects that I'm free to work on. 

in summary.  Arch is the best, ever.  which I guess is the whole point of this thread.

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#206 2008-04-11 04:46:07

peets
Website

cyrusm, it's nice to have you one the forums! By the way, where I shop, buying "regular" noodles (e.g. spaghetti) is a lot cheaper by the gram than buying packs of Ramen. I live on spaghetti and a job; I just can't cook.

#207 2008-04-11 13:21:32

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Cyrusm is the author of some of my favorite posts. I remember when he first announced he would be installing Arch; it was a lot of fun to follow his progress. smile

#208 2008-04-11 16:33:01

peets
Website

yeah!

#209 2008-04-23 17:11:27

selket

My first contact with linux was when i got from a neigbour Susu 3.4(?)  i used it for quite some time but it was not really usable for daily stuff. So i stucked with windows until my system got heavyly infected by virus trojans and so on. I was PISSED so i start to use debian and then Ubuntu.

I must say that ubuntu makes some thinks so much better then debian and i enjoyed the time.

then about 3 weeks ago i buy the eeePC from asus. The Xandros on it is a joke even for me so i gave ubuntu a try again. But due the slow nature of the eee it runned kinda sluggish so i found arch.

after very much issues with the Usb install i finally installed arch (pretty fast) and i was realy positivly surprised from it. My eeePC runs great now and my workmates are jeallous on it (and they have 1200$ thinkpads^^).

after the installation was so fast and easy i switched my desktop also to arch.

Arch is not easy but after initial tweaking and "setuping" i have few to worry and it just works

btw the mirrors are FREAKING FAST!!!

Pro contra

+Very worryfree installation
+build my own system
+Good hardware detection
+FAST
+Clear design
+wiki

-There is no stable version (repository) so far i know
-i still have to cook coffee myself !!!
-no guitool for pacman (so far i know). should be not that hard to implement.

#210 2008-04-23 18:45:03

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

+ The [core] and [extra] repos are considered stable.
+ Too much coffee is bad for your health.
+ There are people developing pacman GUIs, the most outstanding one, according to public opinion, is called Shaman (don't have the link right now).

Last edited by finferflu (2008-04-23 18:46:11)

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#211 2008-04-26 23:07:32

snafle

I'm not usually one for gushing... but I do feel at home on Arch. I have it installed on my server, and it's making me doubt the XP I have installed on this laptop. Arch feels like a steam locomotive- it's clearly a beautiful feat of engineering, it smells and feels right. It wirls away and fills the heart of anyone looking on it with joy. Ubuntu- I tried it. It made me doubt linux- it ate my files and was slow, cumbersome. It was like a diesel locomotive, ugly, pungent.

Even over SSH I enjoy working with Arch. It's a temptation to install it on my desktop, even though Vista has been growing on me (enough ram for it to be happy, a fast dual core to make it more so). But I daren't, for I know if I have a desktop Arch I'll be so engrossed I'll fail my A levels for sure. Alas, such is life. Python and Linux are so much more interesting than Ligands and reptitive Trigononmetry (I'll grant you, a maths problem is an interesting excersise, but repeating them ad nauseum in order to reliably complete in a paper in the time limit gets tiresome).

And of course, I like the arch community. It's small enough not to have all the answers, or any really tiresome individuals, which is excellent because it improves my Internet Sleuthing and keeps me happy, and big and friendly enough to provide interesting ideas and help on the vast majority of problems.

#212 2008-04-29 22:09:52

Ghil

My story with Linux begins in 2000, when I installed Mandrake Linux 7.1 (Helium if I remember correctly) and fell in love with it. It was so nice, and way better than Windows...I never looked back. But then Mandrake grew, and the more it grew, the more bloated it became, eventually changing it's name and becoming quite a mess. I then distro hoped in the hope of finding something nice and found Debian, wich was really nice, but it quickly became old so I tried Ubuntu...and it reminded me of my Mandriva days. so bloated (easy to use yes, but oh so slow).

I heard many times of Arch, never gave it a shot...I should've. Arch is awesome, and it will be my distro of choice for a long time! smile

#213 2008-05-04 03:11:28

handy

As far as the topic of this thread is concerned, I find it to be somewhat elitist (no offense OPP, I know that was not your intention smile). 

Some respondents in this thread reside in the imho camp, their attitude respects & is also grateful for freedom of choice & taste, giving credence to the unimaginable plethora of possible alternate usage circumstances that other computer users may experience.  The opposing position in the extreme is held by those who sincerely believe that their current OS, or Linux distro' of choice is sanctified by the God of computing & is the holiest of holies (note the spelling wink).  Now there are those that consider Bill & Windows, Steve & Apple, Richard & GNU or Linus & Linux to fill the God & holy whatever?  Paradigm.  Which is ultimately egotistical, elitist, masturbation.  IMHO big_smile  Which can never be as satisfying as the real thing! roll lol

Different OS's & Linux distro's suit different people at different times & for different reasons.  We all have different strengths & weaknesses & usually (but not always) are attracted to things that we are capable of achieving.  So, I try to always be mindful of the fact that most computer users are not in the slightest bit interested in setting up an OS.  They just want to get done what they need to, & get on with something far more important than sitting in front of the damn computer which is stopping them from doing what they really want to be doing!

The general level of computer knowledge is growing, faster in the wealthier nations as they have had more exposure to the technology & generally have more public education systems in place, so literacy & numeracy are expected norms.  This situation I think is working against MS, in the developed world at least, as many people (who can afford it & if the applications that they need to use are supported, or they run Windows on their Mac if they need to) are leaving MS, & heading to Apple.  This is both good & bad:  The good is MS, is loosing customers & monopolies restrict freedom, development & horde wealth.  Another good thing when people leave Windows & move to OS X, is that they have usually made their first change in OS; when done from Windows to OS X, people find that they don't have a virus problem anymore, & that they have reliability, they will love or hate the OS X interface, but it is basically simple for the average user to use & they are becoming somewhat familiar albeit at a very superficial level with *nix! 
The bad:  Apple is even worse than MS, when it comes to vendor lock-in, they are a hardware manufacturer first & foremost, who happens to develop software products which they integrate with their hardware in a fashion that not only compliments it but also ensures maximum profit.  Apple's hardware is somewhat overpriced, likely a necessary requisite to pay for their marketing, which presents their often excellent products as a fashion statement for those that like to live on the cool edge of town.  If we swapped Apple with MS, the Apple monopoly would be far more limiting on the broader computing worlds freedom of choice. imho.

I don't know what proportion of the computing user population of the world uses *nix on their desktop?  If I pull a number out of the air, & say 10%, it demonstrates that I have no idea how many people in China & India are using *nix, I have heard that MS, is using a number of strategies, including the welcoming of piracy of their products in the developing world so as to increase the level of addiction to their products!  Apple computers will always be in trouble in the poorer countries, so *nix basically means free Linux/BSD, which hopefully will grow at a faster rate than the MS opposition.  Though MS, is always able to afford to make deals at the government level in countries, & push cheap products into the education system where they can create  the future addicts that will keep the pusher in funds & power, prolonging the MS monopoly. :-[

Anyway, I can't foresee the computing future of humanity, though it does look good for *nix, as general computing smarts grow, & education/experience regarding DRM also grows, these things in combination with the perpetual & rapid development of Linux/BSD (& we shouldn't forget BeOS either) will continue to see a steadily growing number of computer users participating in the free software experience - by the people for the people - as it should be. cool  So, really statements about my free OS or Linux kernel based distro' being the best is just flag waving coming from the prevalent human weakness for being chauvinistic.

Personally I have an extensive Windows background, as a self employed service tech' for 10 years.  I retired from that 2.5 years ago, dumped Windows & went straight to Debian as a complete Linux beginner, quickly thereafter to Ubuntu, have lived on the Ubuntu forums since (where contrary to a post or 2 I've seen here, the trolls are extremely well handled by the great moderating staff, & the community spirit of the Ubuntu forums sets the highest standard I have thus far seen on the net smile).  I've been a distro' whore, including other free OS's such as PC-BSD, Solaris, Nextenta.  Had a failed attempt at installing Arch about 9 months ago, which came immediately after spending 3 days on Gentoo, which would not under any circumstances install X (apparently a possible problem with my motherboards BIOS!?)  So, I coudn't be bothered battling it out with Arch that first time after the install failed at the update stage, I went on to install something easy like Ubuntu or Sabayon, I don't recall which.

Arch seems to be put together more simply than any of the other OS's I've experienced, (apart from perhaps the Amiga, which had so much of the OS in ROM anyway) it has taught me a good deal more about Linux than any of the other distro's, probably due to the simplicity of design, which makes it easier for my old brain to grasp, due to this aspect of Arch alone I will use it, as I consider Arch to be the best teaching about Linux, Linux distro' I have experienced.  Of course I like all of the other great things about Arch that have already been stated so many times in this thread.  So, I expect to be using Arch for quite some time as it will need to be quite a distro' / OS (perhaps BeOS, which is at alpha now) that can satisfy my current computing needs better.   The possibility of running both Arch & BeOS on the 2 machines in my office I find quite pleasing. smile

Currently Arch is running on my PC & on an alu' 24" iMac, the only problems on the iMac are due to ALSA's sound quality still not being as good as it could be, & video problems when playing DVD's that I expect are due to the ATI's proprietary drivers not being up to scratch.  Both of these problems will pass, though the video playback quality is bad enough to force me to boot OS X  to watch DVD's.

Arch is a great Linux distro', certainly my favorite out of all I have looked at, though none of them are perfect. wink

Last edited by handy (2008-05-04 07:34:23)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#214 2008-05-04 11:39:52

Ghil

no! it's ultimate, it can even cure cancer! perfect I say! tongue

#215 2008-05-05 16:43:52

WernerL

I tried a lot of distro's and arch satisfies me the most. smile
arch rocks !

#216 2008-05-05 17:38:04

Cippa Lippa

HELP!!!! I am forgetting the operating system!!!! big_smile

how come nothing gets screwed up anymore??? HELP!!! smile

#217 2008-05-21 08:50:02

imagelife

i love arch ............

just want to tell you!…………

#218 2008-05-23 06:49:01

my0pic

It dawned on me a couple of weekends ago that I was missing that vital masochistic streak to deal with another attempt at gentoo. More likely I was trying to bite off more than I could chew, but in my frustration I found Arch. I was hooked just a few paragraphs into its introduction and I knew I had to try it out. I'm still on that original install no thanks to the quality of the guides available and info in the forums. I've had no problems putting together my own system, the way I want it. It's stable, everything works, and I mean everything that I've thrown at it has worked It simply amazes me with its speed and frugal requirements of the systems resources. Only running a 2.4g P4 with 1g of ram and yet last night was able to watch dvb hdtv and compile firefox-spookyet 3.0rc1-2 from aur at the same time with no loss of frame rate on kaffeine. And spin compiz's cube, fire up Outlook from the vmware xp virtual machine running backgrounded...all at the same time with no hassles, no freezes. Simply amazing.
My intro to linux was with red hat 6.0 many years ago. I quickly scurried back to windows until Ubuntu came along. That's a good distro, especially as an intro to linux for people more familiar with windows. Tried many others to see what was out there but I reckon I'll settle down with Arch. It's the only one out there that seems to be able to handle this sadistic streak i've discovered!!

This is my first post on my first login as a new member. I am not and have never signed up on any other distro's forum.
I am home.

#219 2008-05-23 11:16:48

handy

Welcome MyOpic!

I'm sure you will enjoy your stay.

Being new to Arch, & coming from a Ubuntu Linux induction, I can easily relate to your post. smile

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
I'm over it!

#220 2008-05-23 14:11:07

techprophet

I agree Arch is the best!!!

It runs faster than Ubuntu by far (at least 20seconds on bootup)

#221 2008-05-24 00:36:52

handy

techprophet wrote:

I agree Arch is the best!!!

It runs faster than Ubuntu by far (at least 20seconds on bootup)

Arch may suit some of us more than any other OS or Linux distro' that we have tried, BUT there are many people that would find Arch far from best & a most unsuitable computing environment.

It all comes down to the individual's needs, taste, available time, background knowledge, aspirations...

One mans feast is another's poison... It is wonderful to have so many fantastic distro's available & all for free too! cool

I'm over it!

#222 2008-05-24 02:21:38

Redroar

Yeah...I know many people who would throw themselves off a building if they had to deal with Arch everyday.

And yet, I spent a couple of hours today learning how to manually set up iptables (well worth learning, by the way), and I only feel satisfaction. It's great when you are standing upon the conquered foe, and now stand as it's master.

Or maybe I'm just a control freak.

Regardless, I love Arch!

Stop looking at my signature. It betrays your nature.

#223 2008-05-24 03:01:33

handy

It's nice when the foe is really your friend too... smile

I'm over it!

#224 2008-05-24 15:18:17

Redroar

handy wrote:

It's nice when the foe is really your friend too... smile

Too true...

Stop looking at my signature. It betrays your nature.

#225 2008-06-12 17:05:44

sniffles

Fedora rules!!!

Board footer