You are not logged in.

#26 2014-09-21 01:35:34

farqis

Re: lightsOn.sh - stop screensaver and DPMS when watching flash vids

I have recently switched to Linux and have Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS running. I found this thread very useful.

In this version there is an additional option of "Dim Screen" (don't know if it was already there before or not). If I set this option to 2 min, the screen gets dim initially after 1 min by some %age. And after the actual 2 minutes it gets reduced to 0%. And of course, after 5 min the screen is switched off. (With my current settings it goes from a starting 86%=>40%=>0%=>off).

If I increase the dim screen time to e.g. 5 minutes, the first dim-step comes after approx 2 minutes. Is there a formula at work here?

Although the script works fine against the "Switch off" mechanism, but it doesn't stop the dimming. I thought I would get the value from xset -q and parse it to get an automatic default value, but I couldn't find the dim setting there either. So I have the following questions

1. How to determine in the script if dimming feature is active or not
2. If active then what is it's value
3. Is there a formula in play that calculates the initial dimming time based on the actual time value given by user for  dimming to 0%

Any ideas how to make this work without having to turn the Dimming feature off completely?

#27 2014-10-17 18:07:43

klenamenis

I just tried the lightson+ script, but it had no effect when watching movies on netflix using google chrome and html5. I changed all according flags in the script to 1, of course.

#28 2014-10-18 02:38:15

monodromy

@klenamenis, are you using google-chrome or chromium? The lightsonplus script appears to look for chromium. If that's the issue, just replace "chromium-browser" with "google-chrome-stable" (or whatever) in the script.

#29 2014-10-19 18:17:45

klenamenis

Thanks, that's it. I must use chrome due to drm+html5 and changed the string to "chrome".

#30 2015-01-28 18:03:47

klenamenis

I've created a AUR package in order to update LightsOn+ more easily.

Last edited by klenamenis (2015-01-28 18:07:06)

#31 2015-03-30 10:24:20

ZeroLinux

klenamenis wrote:

I've created a AUR package in order to update LightsOn+ more easily.

Thank you. How to use it. Should I just install it or should I put script in autostart also? Which one of twos?

BTW, it doesn't work:
$ lightsonplus
No screensaver detected
But screensaver is set.

P.S. I found that this fork works OK. But before you need to install qt5 (all) or should follow recommendation from this page

Last edited by ZeroLinux (2015-03-31 11:23:39)

#32 2015-12-02 17:07:40

Yusterlan

Hi All,

I'm having a problem that this great script could fix, but I can't make it work, I hope someone can help.

My problem is I need to use compton compositor but when it's activated it makes google chrome froze video when go to fullscreen. My solution now is manually stop compton when I want to watch fullscreen videos on chrome using "killall compton" and activate it again when I end watching those videos "compton -b".

I think this script could be adapted to do those two actions automatically when detects fullscreen video on chrome, but I cant make it work, even wihout making any change.

I mean, when I launch the script I get this message:

bash: ./lightsOn.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong??

Many thanks in advance

Board footer