You are not logged in.

#226 2013-11-25 13:09:16

rXy

Re: [Script] Archlinux Ultimate Install Script

Thank you very much for this install script i have a few ideas that maybe could be added

What about a way to use the lts kernel and set it up away that it excludes from update to newest kernel thanks

Last edited by rXy (2013-11-26 08:39:29)

#227 2013-12-07 17:47:57

hlavijak

Hi,

I have installed Arch with this script and first of all, great job smile. It's easy and nice smile.

I've got one problem. I'm using gnome and after install, my gnome terminal is using some wierd colors. In general, colors are great, but I'm using white background and sometimes the text is barely readable.

Any way to change colors or remove them entirely?

Thanks for help smile

Last edited by hlavijak (2013-12-07 17:48:08)

#228 2013-12-15 03:30:23

acecabana

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone's December is going well. I recently attempted to install Arch Linux using the AUI script. helmuthdu did a great job putting it together and the work definitely shows in how easy and streamlined the process has become using his script. With that said, I wanted to make you all aware of an error I came up across after running through the aui portion of the install. Once I reboot after the first half of the installation, the system chooses the correct kernel and the following error pops up:

Error: No such device
Loading Linux core repo kernel
Error: no such partition
Loading initial ramdisk
error: you need to load the kernel first
hit any key to continue...

When you hit any key it brings you back to the bootloader.

Just wanted to make you all aware of this error. If you have any idea how to fix this, I'd be interested to hear your ideas.

Thanks and take care.

#229 2013-12-15 17:00:21

codex1

acecabana wrote:

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone's December is going well. I recently attempted to install Arch Linux using the AUI script. helmuthdu did a great job putting it together and the work definitely shows in how easy and streamlined the process has become using his script. With that said, I wanted to make you all aware of an error I came up across after running through the aui portion of the install. Once I reboot after the first half of the installation, the system chooses the correct kernel and the following error pops up:

Loading initial ramdisk

Just wanted to make you all aware of this error. If you have any idea how to fix this, I'd be interested to hear your ideas.

Thanks and take care.

I have same problem.

I try install whitout AUI and I have same problem.

thinkpad x280 • arch.i3 • SRE Senior

#230 2013-12-15 17:13:48

TuxStorm
Website

acecabana wrote:

Hello everyone,

Loading initial ramdisk

Thanks and take care.

codex1 wrote:

I have same problem.

It's not an issue with the script. Read this for the solution: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=173921

Follow me on: twitter | plurk | flickr

#231 2013-12-15 19:06:52

codex1

TuxStorm wrote:

It's not an issue with the script. Read this for the solution: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=173921

Doesn't work. With iso installation, mount / partition and edit file, save and reboot system.

Need more steps?

#232 2013-12-15 21:06:56

acecabana

TuxStorm wrote:
acecabana wrote:

Hello everyone,

Loading initial ramdisk

Thanks and take care.

codex1 wrote:

I have same problem.

Hi TuxStorm,

Thanks for the response. My error isn't a syntax one though. My error seems to be a partition problem. Grub loads up and is able to choose a kernel no problem. The error occurs when the kernel is chosen and tries to boot up.

#233 2013-12-16 23:39:29

codex1

acecabana wrote:

Hello everyone,

Loading initial ramdisk

Thanks and take care.

Hey, change your /boot/grub/grub.cfg for this:

http://pastebin.com/AaPTfqCM

Change UUID - "ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467" for your UUID root, how to?

- Boot your ISO installation.
- Mount root partition on /mnt
- Execute: arch-chroot /mnt
- Check UUID with:

ls -l /dev/<disk>/by-uuid

- Modify /boot/grub/grub.cfg with your UUID
- Generate new grub.cfg

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

- Exit
- Umount /mnt

Work's correctly big_smile

pd, sorry my english.

Last edited by codex1 (2013-12-18 22:23:20)

#234 2013-12-17 00:15:01

spsf64
Website

I never used grub, only syslinux and always worked fine, no problems so far.
I did an installation today with syslinux (to root partition), also everything went ok.

Sergio S.

#235 2013-12-18 16:37:27

Jean3799

codex1 wrote:
acecabana wrote:

Hello everyone,

Loading initial ramdisk

Thanks and take care.

Hey, change your /boot/grub/grub.cfg for this:

http://pastebin.com/AaPTfqCM

Change UUID - "ad4103fa-d940-47ca-8506-301d8071d467" for your UUID root, how to?

- Boot your ISO installation.
- Mount root partition on /mnt
- Check UUID with:

ls -l /dev/<disk>/by-uuid

- Modify /boot/grub/grub.cfg with your UUID
- Generate new grub.cfg

- Umount /mnt

Work's correctly big_smile

pd, sorry my english.

I tried what you said step by step, but whenever i reboot it , the changes i have made to grub.cfg revert back to ad4103uuid , i am still stuck on this error,,,

#236 2013-12-18 17:19:06

spsf64
Website

Jean3799 wrote:

I tried what you said step by step, but whenever i reboot it , the changes i have made to grub.cfg revert back to ad4103uuid , i am still stuck on this error,,,

Why don't you try syslinux and see if it works?

Sergio S.

#237 2013-12-18 22:24:06

codex1

Jean3799 wrote:

Sorry, you need execute 'arch-chroot /mnt' to change UUID on installation.

#238 2013-12-19 01:22:49

Jean3799

codex1 wrote:
Jean3799 wrote:

So i execute 'arch-chroot /mnt' after editing grub.cfg using nano? then unmount? sorry I am a noob.

#239 2013-12-19 01:37:41

Jean3799

spsf64 wrote:
Jean3799 wrote:

Why don't you try syslinux and see if it works?

I did 5 installations apperently grub for some reason still stuck around even when i did tried syslinux so that resulted in another failer, im on windows now until i can solve this thing in vbox lol.

#240 2013-12-19 02:11:37

Jean3799

Jean3799 wrote:
codex1 wrote:
Jean3799 wrote:

So i execute 'arch-chroot /mnt' after editing grub.cfg using nano? then unmount? sorry I am a noob.

Never mind, figured it all out, summarizing all the steps for everyone who has this problem.

Stick in your USB or DVD and boot from it like normal.

Mount your root partition to /mnt by entering

mount /dev/sdaX /mnt 

find out your UUID by typing
Note: Replace X with your sda number/root partition.

blkid /dev/sdaX

Then it should list xxx-xxxx-xxxxxxx-xxxx , similar numbers. copy it down on a piece of paper.
proceed

arch-chroot /mnt

then edit the /boot/grub/grub.cfg with your UUID. Replace all ad4013-xxxx-xxx lines you find with your UUID

nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg

after your done , type exit and enter

umount /mnt

reboot.

#241 2013-12-19 03:05:07

cfr

Note that editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg and then running grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg is pointless since the latter will overwrite the former, recreating it on the basis of /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/* and what it finds on your system. So the editing step is certainly not required.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#242 2013-12-19 03:08:29

Jean3799

cfr wrote:

Note that editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg and then running grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg is pointless since the latter will overwrite the former, recreating it on the basis of /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d/* and what it finds on your system. So the editing step is certainly not required.

Do you have a fix to this? It's working for me so far so if you. Have a better reason please post.. If what you are saying is true

#243 2013-12-19 03:53:10

cfr

Jean3799 wrote:
cfr wrote:

Do you have a fix to this? It's working for me so far so if you. Have a better reason please post.. If what you are saying is true

You should just be able to skip that step - there's no point editing the grub.cfg if you are then going to overwrite it anyway.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#244 2013-12-21 14:20:48

helmuthdu

... Gee... i need check my spam box... got no email from here. sad

The way i managed to get the bootloader working was to install the syslinux.
I also have added a warning about the grub been broken. For now i think we have to wait until they fix it in the upstream.

OFFTOP: Does anyone know if the email service is working? the last email i got from this forum was from 25 november...

Last edited by helmuthdu (2013-12-21 14:27:28)

#245 2014-01-16 20:08:21

kayrune

Script is really nice, but just as a heads up. Maybe I used it wrong but I boot arch from usb, download and ran script. And it format my EFI partition automatic as EXT4.

#246 2014-01-16 23:08:21

helmuthdu

kayrune wrote:

Script is really nice, but just as a heads up. Maybe I used it wrong but I boot arch from usb, download and ran script. And it format my EFI partition automatic as EXT4.

Well, sorry for that, it's have this option to do it, but it ask if you want to format and if you are sure to format it...
at line 274 in ais:

read_input_text "Format ${partition} partition" # read OPTION
              if [[ $OPTION == y ]]; then
                format_partition "${partition}" "${MOUNTPOINT}${EFI_DISK}" "vfat" # this will ask you again if you want to format.
              else
                mkdir -p "${MOUNTPOINT}${EFI_DISK}"
                mount "${partition}" "${MOUNTPOINT}${EFI_DISK}"
                check_mountpoint "${partition}" "${MOUNTPOINT}${EFI_DISK}"
              fi

Last edited by helmuthdu (2014-01-16 23:09:55)

#247 2014-01-16 23:59:15

kayrune

If I said no to format it would not continue, it just kept asking again what my EFI partition was.

So I said yes to format it. I can't for sure say it was formated as ext4, but it refused to mount as vfat, gummiboot would not install correctly. And the fstab auto generator said it was ext4. Something did not work for sure. I actually wiped it all, started over following the beginners guide. Then when I was done and rebooted I ran your script to install/setup. Worked much better.

#248 2014-01-17 00:03:41

helmuthdu

kayrune wrote:

If I said no to format it would not continue, it just kept asking again what my EFI partition was.

So I said yes to format it. I can't for sure say it was formated as ext4, but it refused to mount as vfat, gummiboot would not install correctly. And the fstab auto generator said it was ext4. Something did not work for sure. I actually wiped it all, started over following the beginners guide. Then when I was done and rebooted I ran your script to install/setup. Worked much better.

Okay, i will check this again, this is something very problematic if happens...
EDIT: I run the ais script, and so some other ppl i know... nobody had this problem. You may have distracted yourself with something at the format option, this unfortunately can happen sad
EDIT2: Someone had reported this bug too... i'm trying to get what could be...
EDIT3: I found the error, it seems it format to the previous select filesystem when you select to format instead of mount only... Sorry for the inconvenient and thanks for the report. smile

Last edited by helmuthdu (2014-01-17 22:00:06)

#249 2014-01-18 15:40:23

kayrune

no problem, I had another issue also. It's not really related to the script, maybe more of a arch problem or noobie problem. The script gave me option to install networkmanager and I choose to do this. Upon reboot I did not have internet access anymore. I use DHCP. I restart the DHCP service and I get internet for a little while then it dies again. The only way to get permanent internet is to set fixed ip and gateway in network manager. I don't know if this is a conflict with network manager and dhcp service, user error or what. As a "noob" when internet is gone you are pretty clueless big_smile

#250 2014-05-08 18:05:29

vladinux

Am I missing the point? In your script all (but not in two cases smile) arch-chroot commands are written as arch_chroot?

Board footer