You are not logged in.

#201 2013-08-14 13:16:42

helmuthdu

Re: [Script] Archlinux Ultimate Install Script

TheLaughingMan wrote:

ok here's what the aui fail is http://puu.sh/41uOB.PNG . and here is a small one on ais which doesn't effect install much http://puu.sh/41uOb.PNG . On the aui it looks like this http://puu.sh/41uOB.PNG most if not all the way through.

Can you run the script in verbose mode? or post the log aui_error.log file? i can give us more info about what is wrong...

edit: Sometimes when you cancel or force close the script when its installing a package it may not close pacman causing a block, you may the to unblock it manual by removing the /var/lib/pacman/db.lck file.

edit2: added a new check in case the pacman is blocked to avoid this kind of problem.

edit3: i have added a security check for the package manager in case the user select the powerpill but it fails to install. Can you try again with a virtualbox and report any error? I have done a clean install again and i had no problem.

edit4: Overall i think the script now handle better with errors.

Last edited by helmuthdu (2013-08-14 15:45:23)

#202 2013-08-14 18:01:07

scjet
Banned

One thing that @TheLaughingMan mentioned was the fact/screenshot of how his "dev" choice, as opposed to "uuid" choice within fstab failed.?
I haven't tested it, 'cause I use your "ais" for a fairly automated pure arch-system-netinstall.
Nothwithstanding, I do NOT personally use your "aui" part script, instead, I build my own wm-gui(tiling or whatever...). afterwards.
I use "ais" to do the grunt-work of the official "Arch-Install-Script(s)".

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if they don't get/understand "ais", then "aui" may end up a potential nightmare for anyone fairly "new" to Arch. ? 'ya think ?

...and that's all,
but once again, thanks for the very helpful "ais" scripting.

Last edited by scjet (2013-08-14 18:03:12)

The "BSD" things in life are "Free", and "Open", and so is "Arch"

#203 2013-08-15 10:59:38

helmuthdu

scjet wrote:

One thing that @TheLaughingMan mentioned was the fact/screenshot of how his "dev" choice, as opposed to "uuid" choice within fstab failed.?
I haven't tested it, 'cause I use your "ais" for a fairly automated pure arch-system-netinstall.
Nothwithstanding, I do NOT personally use your "aui" part script, instead, I build my own wm-gui(tiling or whatever...). afterwards.
I use "ais" to do the grunt-work of the official "Arch-Install-Script(s)".

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if they don't get/understand "ais", then "aui" may end up a potential nightmare for anyone fairly "new" to Arch. ? 'ya think ?

...and that's all,
but once again, thanks for the very helpful "ais" scripting.

Indeed, this script shouldnt be used by someone new to arch... Its more to people who already know it.
I just create this because i was tired of having to install it over and over again, repeting the sames step everytime.
I stopped from learning new things and thats become realy boring for me.
The whole thing here is just to automatize the process so you dont have to spend 1 day to install everything and make it "perfect" for you. In a manual installation i always forgot something and had to install it later, the details thing.
Anyway, it shouldn't be a nightmare for any new also, i made the whole process with infos about it so the user could understand what the script is installing before you install it, always following the arch wikis. Of course, this cant be perfect or work everytime, but i try to keep this very close to the wikis, they are just AMAZING. tongue

Glad you like, and this community support and give me a great feedback to improve this little project.

#204 2013-08-15 21:25:57

TheLaughingMan

FOR THE LAST TIME IM NOT NEW TO ARCH!
I just went though another install of arch last night; which i did without any script and i partitioned my ssd in guid partition scheme.

#205 2013-08-17 21:27:26

TheLaughingMan

Yaourt was the problem. As soon as i chose pacaur it worked.

#206 2013-08-18 00:27:30

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

TheLaughingMan wrote:

FOR THE LAST TIME IM NOT NEW TO ARCH!

Please don't shout at people here; irrespective of how frustrated you get:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ther_Users

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#207 2013-08-18 00:57:59

TheLaughingMan

@ admin then what would you do if everyone was all chiming the the same lie and it irritated you? I'm aware of forum rules but it just got on my last nerve; So i wanted everyone to get there facts strait.

Last edited by TheLaughingMan (2013-08-18 00:59:17)

#208 2013-08-18 03:17:38

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

I would recognize this is the Internet and just ignore it...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#209 2013-08-19 16:47:38

helmuthdu

TheLaughingMan wrote:

Yaourt was the problem. As soon as i chose pacaur it worked.

Glad it worked smile
But i couldnt reproduce this error, i try here with yaourt and seems to work fine.

#210 2013-08-22 18:56:01

TheLaughingMan

Yeah i was grasping at straws and found out it was powerpill that was causing the problem. I just found a error on your code line 705 prnt_title "VIDEO CARD" you missed an "i" in print_tittle.

#211 2013-09-17 02:00:49

DotDev
Website

helmuthdu you should add mpd + ncmpcpp, but this is a great script used it on my friends laptop he is now enjoying linux.

#212 2013-09-30 16:59:32

scjet
Banned

Hi Helmut,
I'm sure you thought of this, but how 'bout using something like ncurses?, whiptail?, zenity?, ..., whichever is easier,  to make your bash-script a little more, well... you know.
wink
[Edit}; ...and NO, I do not mean "replace" your existing ais/aui installation scripts, ..., it's obviously nice to have those too.  I just meant, as possible optional altrenatives along "with" the existing ones,
depending on how it goes.
ok.

Thanks.

Last edited by scjet (2013-09-30 17:17:58)

#213 2013-09-30 20:21:32

spsf64
Website

helmuthdu wrote:

Can you run the script in verbose mode? or post the log aui_error.log file? i can give us more info about what is wrong...

@helmuthdu how can I run aui/ais in verbose mode?
Thanks for all your work with these scripts!

Sergio S.

#214 2013-10-04 20:43:10

TheLaughingMan

please fix the ais. f2fs doesn't use fsck.
source= https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/F2fs

#215 2013-10-06 21:12:31

blackout23

I tried these scripts in a VM. Really great work. The only thing that was kind of annoying is that ais expects you to create a swap partition, which is pointless for most modern day systems if you can live without hibernate feature. I'd much rather create a swapfile later, if I really need one.

The problem I had was that I used gdisk like I normally do and created one partition for everything. Next step wants me to select root partition and I select /dev/sda1. Next step asked for the swap partition and I couldn't just skip it.

Last edited by blackout23 (2013-10-06 21:13:40)

#216 2013-10-07 17:21:13

scjet
Banned

mmm, I think as @Helmut said (quoted): he's only "...checking github for issues." ?
He doesn't check here very often, it's been almost "4-weeks" now?

Which in itself,
is kinda sad, 'cause it defeats the purpose of even bothering to have a "dedicated" thread like this on Arch,
and most especially, with regards to "ais/aui" issues.
?

[Edit]: ,,, notwithstanding, Helmut's work is absolutely very "handy", to say the very least.
-thanks bud.
wink

Last edited by scjet (2013-10-07 17:39:28)

#217 2013-10-08 13:22:29

helmuthdu

scjet wrote:

mmm, I think as @Helmut said (quoted): he's only "...checking github for issues." ?
He doesn't check here very often, it's been almost "4-weeks" now?

Which in itself,
is kinda sad, 'cause it defeats the purpose of even bothering to have a "dedicated" thread like this on Arch,
and most especially, with regards to "ais/aui" issues.
?

[Edit]: ,,, notwithstanding, Helmut's work is absolutely very "handy", to say the very least.
-thanks bud.
wink

Yep, i forgot i could subscribe to a post, i will do that now. I think this will solve this 'checking' problem... smile

#218 2013-10-08 13:32:20

helmuthdu

spsf64 wrote:
helmuthdu wrote:

@helmuthdu how can I run aui/ais in verbose mode?
Thanks for all your work with these scripts!

There's only verbose in the aui script, it only display the package install like the pacman does instead of the simplified output from the aui, the ais already use the normal output from the pacman.
./aui --verbose or ./aui -v

#219 2013-10-08 13:46:16

helmuthdu

blackout23 wrote:

I tried these scripts in a VM. Really great work. The only thing that was kind of annoying is that ais expects you to create a swap partition, which is pointless for most modern day systems if you can live without hibernate feature. I'd much rather create a swapfile later, if I really need one.

The problem I had was that I used gdisk like I normally do and created one partition for everything. Next step wants me to select root partition and I select /dev/sda1. Next step asked for the swap partition and I couldn't just skip it.

I prefer the classic way, but this is a good option, I think have a swap still a "good practice".
Anyway, i will add and option to the user to create a swap or just simple ignore swap if the user skip this options.

EDIT: Done! \o/

Greetings,
Helmuth

Last edited by helmuthdu (2013-10-09 15:16:00)

#220 2013-11-09 20:02:40

spsf64
Website

@helmuthdu why did you remove infinality fonts from the latest code? Any problem with AUR packages?

Sergio S.

#221 2013-11-10 01:25:09

helmuthdu

spsf64 wrote:

@helmuthdu why did you remove infinality fonts from the latest code? Any problem with AUR packages?

Yep, it's broken and outdated tongue
I'm using now the ubuntu patched packages with no regrets

Last edited by helmuthdu (2013-11-10 01:27:33)

#222 2013-11-10 01:39:57

WonderWoofy

@helmutdu, have you tried bohoomil's infinality-bundle and infinality-bundle-fonts?  They are pretty incredible, and provide a complete set of free fonts that can be used to provide an alternative to the various windows font packages that can be made from the AUR.  In fact, just recently, he has started to provide every font that may be needed, and has made installation super simple with a meta package.  The best part is that these packages are all available from his unofficial repo, so four lines in pacman.conf and the addition of his gpg key is all you need.

infinality-bundle+fonts wiki page
infinality-bundle
infinality-bundle-fonts

#223 2013-11-10 19:37:21

helmuthdu

WonderWoofy wrote:

@helmutdu, have you tried bohoomil's infinality-bundle and infinality-bundle-fonts?  They are pretty incredible, and provide a complete set of free fonts that can be used to provide an alternative to the various windows font packages that can be made from the AUR.  In fact, just recently, he has started to provide every font that may be needed, and has made installation super simple with a meta package.  The best part is that these packages are all available from his unofficial repo, so four lines in pacman.conf and the addition of his gpg key is all you need.

infinality-bundle+fonts wiki page
infinality-bundle
infinality-bundle-fonts

Thanks, i will take a look.

EDIT: Done.

Last edited by helmuthdu (2013-11-11 17:18:01)

#224 2013-11-11 11:17:01

MW

There is a few broken packages:
kde-l10n-en should be kde-l10n-en_gb
aur/rosa-icons is out of date and pkbuild broken. There is a fixed one in the comments though.

There was one or more, but can't remember atm. Nothing that cannot be worked around.

#225 2013-11-11 15:05:49

helmuthdu

MW wrote:

There is a few broken packages:
kde-l10n-en should be kde-l10n-en_gb
aur/rosa-icons is out of date and pkbuild broken. There is a fixed one in the comments though.

There was one or more, but can't remember atm. Nothing that cannot be worked around.

Wich locale do you use? bc the script detects when it's en_GB or en_US and set it as en_gb.
Theres not much i can do about packages in aur, i remove infinality bc it can break the system, those packages that are only outdated or became broken (happen alot in aur) but doesnt "hurt" the system i think its fine since it will be updated soon (eventually).
I will add the AUR tag to those missing packages to make clear this kind of problem can happen.

Last edited by helmuthdu (2013-11-11 15:06:08)

Board footer