You are not logged in.

#1376 2014-06-13 17:56:52

F34R

Re: monsterwm! ~ yet another tiny wm

Hi

Sometimes drifting the window managers (herbstluftwm, bspwm) but i will return the monsterwm. How to convert my old status script into a new bar format?

Here is the script

gz

#1377 2014-07-26 20:18:09

kuraku

@cookie

I believe i discovered a weird bug but i'm not sure yet.

How to produce it:
1. open firefox and terminal (xterm in my case) on one workspace;
2. set tiling mode to `bstack`;
3. move mouse cursor to firefox area, shift focus to terminal and exec `while true; do xdotool click 1; done`;.

The terminal client breaks bstack and it goes to monocle while firefox remains in bstack (weird). Can this be investigated and fixed if issues are present?

#1378 2014-07-31 16:56:15

shoober420
Banned

Is this window manager lighter then dwm?

#1379 2014-07-31 17:14:15

kuraku

shoober420 wrote:

Yes it is. You must, however, take into account that dwm ships with panel. Read the start of the threat, we shared some nubers before.

#1380 2014-07-31 17:38:57

shoober420
Banned

Sweet! I'm going to have to check this wm out.

#1381 2014-07-31 17:57:12

shoober420
Banned

Is this wm even lighter then dminiwm and catwm?

#1382 2014-07-31 18:26:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Try it and find out.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#1383 2014-07-31 18:28:16

shoober420
Banned

I would have to download all three and compare with htop. I was just wondering if someone actually knew already.

#1384 2014-07-31 18:40:03

DoctorSamulus

shoober420 wrote:

I would have to download all three and compare with htop. I was just wondering if someone actually knew already.

monsterwm + bar uses 670 KiB of ram if you're curious, its pretty light you don't need to compare tongue

#1385 2014-08-25 09:49:37

chickenPie4tea

shoober420 wrote:

Dwm, Monster, Herbstluft etc are all light but what I would consider is which are still being developed and by more than one person. If a window manager is being made by one person and they get tired of working on it.....
Dwm has been around a while and looks like it will be for a while in the future.

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#1386 2017-07-21 13:10:24

mhertz

Been using monsterwm from the initial lunch(and before that used on/off dminiwm and the very first incarnation catwm) and it's still freakin' awesome, and like dwm with 10 of the best patches included, and no single piece of cruft amongst(so no things like e.g uselessgaps, though available however as optional patch) while running even lighter(and even more so now where dwm is XFT "enhanced", though no disrespect to dwm of course, which i'd probably use if not using monsterwm). I have no bugs found in my daily usage despite it's lack of development for years. Thanks cookie et all smile

Anyways, I have recently changed to using cookie's mstatusbar instead of a shell-script for the statusbar-output to (lemon)bar. It works great and is lighter than before of course, though one thing from it I cannot get to work and thought to see if any of you fine people here much smarter than me could possibly enlighten me on what the issue could be...

I have everything working from mstatusbar that I need, except battery status. I just wanted the battery percent shown or something alike, and previously just used to cat the capacity file from my shell-script which is a file just holding a value which is the current battery percentage. The variables in config.h of mstatusbar I have changed accordingly to match my system(double-checked!) from originally:

#define ACPI_DEV        "/dev/acpi"
#define BATT_STATE      "/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/status"
#define BATT_CAP_FULL   "/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_full"
#define BATT_CAP_CHARGE "/sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_now"

To instead:

#define ACPI_DEV        "/dev/acpi_thermal_rel"
#define BATT_STATE      "/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/status"
#define BATT_CAP_FULL   "/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/charge_full"
#define BATT_CAP_CHARGE "/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/charge_now"

I have looked through the c code of mstatusbar.c and it's hard for me in not knowing C beyond a simple "hello world" etc(never really got far enough in the beginner C guide for noobs, despite trying many times, though also a little hard to learn as first language except basic shell-scripting, lol). It seems like it checks for the BAT1 files above and if not available then prints unknown, I think? However, I never get any output, not even unknown or question mark or anything?

Again, I would much appreciate any insights possibly on this, please. Thanks in advance! smile -Martin.

Edit: I grepped the source for acpi(case-insensitive), and it wasen't used anywhere but that single line in config.h, so the acpi line I changed to match my system in config.h probably have no effect it seems, and I just changed it to make sure, even though I didn't think it was battery related(my "thermal" path, as only acpi related dir in /dev). Installing acpi doesn't have effect either. I also don't understand why to get the battery percentage that mstatusbar needs two files and calculate the percent from those, when the current percent always, at least on my system, is listed in the file "/sys/class/power_supply/BAT1/capacity" ? It lists e.g. "46", when the battery is down to 46% etc. Maybe that's a new "invention" not available at the time the project was made... Anyway, I'm pretty much always using my laptop powered from the powersupply from home, so not the end of the world not having this, but nonetheless...

Last edited by mhertz (2017-07-21 16:57:27)

#1387 2017-07-21 20:11:43

moetunes

Hi mhertz,
if you have a look in the Makefile there's a line that turns the battery output on or off

BATT	 ?= 0

Change the 0 to a 1 and the battery info should be shown. I don't know why it's in the Makefile and not cconfig.h...

Cheers

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#1388 2017-07-21 21:03:18

mhertz

Wow, moetunes, I can't thank you enough for this, you rock! smile You're so helpful mate, last time I had an issue, 5 years ago or so, none could fix it here, but then you also came to the rescue with a cool bar taking two inputs; bipolarbar, or splitterbar I believe it was called then. Thank you so much again mate smile

Last edited by mhertz (2017-07-21 21:04:31)

Board footer