You are not logged in.

#276 2012-06-23 01:01:13

IgnorantGuru
Website

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

A new temporary thread branch of spacefm is available for early testing.  Please read the notes there carefully.  Thanks for helping with testing this new code.  Due to the level of changes and areas involved, lots of testing will be needed, which is why I'm making it available so early.

#277 2012-06-23 01:05:43

IgnorantGuru
Website

Šaran wrote:

Using urxvtc will cause same issues, but with urxvt everything extracts just fine.

EDIT:
I've been playing with samba shares and can't get spacefm to ask for username and password.
After typing smb://192.168.1.100/homes into location bar, it asks for some password, but fails with same error I get if type wrong pass on mount command.

Password: 
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
[ Finished ]  Press Enter to close

noatime and utf8 should be removed from udevil.conf for cifs because it won't recognise those options on mount.

Thanks for the report.  I'll take a look at urxvtc.

For udevil, I opened an issue on this here.

#278 2012-06-24 04:33:39

ShadowKyogre
Website

For some reason, spacefm stops at 50% when I try to unmount my mp3 player. Udevil has unmounted the drive by then, but...the mountpoint still exists after it's done.

_____/[shadowkyogre@AlpheTerra|21:29:36|Sat Jun 23 2012]\______________)
(_/[locky]\_____________/(($)>--< sudo blkid
Password: 
/dev/sda1: UUID="5c57a230-4ca3-4181-8d1c-4c5ee6952844" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sda2: UUID="e0dd3595-3e7c-4fb2-81fb-e43cfee0d136" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sda3: UUID="df334c58-5aff-49dd-874b-39390ed7ad7c" TYPE="swap" 
/dev/sda4: UUID="0112ab17-930c-4e82-9f08-6592915f4f63" TYPE="ext4" 
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="KINGSTON" UUID="8D8B-718A" TYPE="vfat"  # <- somehow doesn't hang when I unmount it, even though it has the same fs type
/dev/sdc1: UUID="A497-F82E" TYPE="vfat" # <- this is the one that hangs in spacefm

However, if I use udevil to manually unmount the drive, it behaves just fine. I'm using pmount as the primary method behind udevil for mounting and unmounting drives.

For every problem, there is a solution that is:
Clean
Simple and most of all...wrong!
Github page

#279 2012-06-24 04:52:37

IgnorantGuru
Website

ShadowKyogre wrote:

I'm using pmount as the primary method behind udevil for mounting and unmounting drives.

You must mean you're using pmount as the mount command in spacefm (udevil only uses mount).  So this sounds like pmount is hanging.  Try using it in a terminal to see if there's an issue with pmount and that drive.

It doesn't sound like spacefm is stopping at 50% per say, it's just waiting for pmount.  50% progress for that kind of task means it's started and not exited.

#280 2012-06-24 05:43:47

ShadowKyogre
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

You must mean you're using pmount as the mount command in spacefm (udevil only uses mount).  So this sounds like pmount is hanging.  Try using it in a terminal to see if there's an issue with pmount and that drive.

It doesn't sound like spacefm is stopping at 50% per say, it's just waiting for pmount.  50% progress for that kind of task means it's started and not exited.

I let spacefm mount the drive, then I used pumount to unmount the drive. Here's the session with pumount after it's mounted:

_____/[shadowkyogre@AlpheTerra|22:40:10|Sat Jun 23 2012]\______________)
(_/[~]\_____________/(($)>--< pumount /dev/sdc1 
 _____/[shadowkyogre@AlpheTerra|22:40:42|Sat Jun 23 2012]\______________)
(_/[~]\_____________/(($)>--< ls /media/
KINGSTON/                  sdc1-usb-ALi_Corp._COBY_M/ 
 _____/[shadowkyogre@AlpheTerra|22:40:42|Sat Jun 23 2012]\______________)
(_/[~]\_____________/(($)>--< ls /media/sdc1-usb-ALi_Corp._COBY_M/
ls: cannot open directory /media/sdc1-usb-ALi_Corp._COBY_M/: Permission denied
 _____/[shadowkyogre@AlpheTerra|22:40:48|Sat Jun 23 2012]\______________)
(_/[~]\_____________/(($)>--< sudo ls -al /media/sdc1-usb-ALi_Corp._COBY_M/
Password: 
total 8
drwx------ 2 root shadowkyogre 4096 Jun 23 22:39 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root         4096 Jun 23 22:39 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root shadowkyogre    0 Jun 23 22:39 .udevil-mount-point
#basically the same after spacefm gets to the 50% mark
 _____/[shadowkyogre@AlpheTerra|22:40:58|Sat Jun 23 2012]\______________)
(_/[~]\_____________/(($)>--< sudo rm -rfv /media/sdc1-usb-ALi_Corp._COBY_M/
Password: 
removed ‘/media/sdc1-usb-ALi_Corp._COBY_M/.udevil-mount-point’
removed directory: ‘/media/sdc1-usb-ALi_Corp._COBY_M’

Clean
Github page

#281 2012-06-24 09:41:42

Šaran

Since you have udevil installed, why do you need pmount?
"I let spacefm mount the drive" - it's not spacefm mounting, it's pmount, udevil or udisks(2).
Try changing mount command (right click on drives section) to see which one is failing.

#282 2012-06-24 10:07:25

ShadowKyogre
Website

Šaran wrote:

Since you have udevil installed, why do you need pmount?
"I let spacefm mount the drive" - it's not spacefm mounting, it's pmount, udevil or udisks(2).
Try changing mount command (right click on drives section) to see which one is failing.

I have pmount on there probably because I misread the optdepends of udevil, which had had this in it for pmount:

pmount: devmon mount without suid udevil

[EDIT] Speaking of that, when I uninstalled pmount just now, spacefm unmounts my mp3 player just fine now.

Last edited by ShadowKyogre (2012-06-24 10:10:09)

Clean
Github page

#283 2012-06-24 13:25:43

IgnorantGuru
Website

Yeah it sounds like ShadowKyogre was using udevil to mount and then pmount to unmount (probably pmount was set as Unmount Command in spacefm, while Mount Command was empty to autodetect udevil), which won't work because of different ways they handle the mount points.  You can see what spacefm is running to mount/unmount by running it in a terminal.  Open a terminal window and run:

killall spacefm
spacefm

then observe the output in that terminal as spacefm is running.

You can right-click on a device and select Settings|Mount Command or Settings|Unmount Command to see what it's set to use.  Click the Help button in that dialog to read the details.

EDIT: Also, udevil does not use pmount in any way.  pmount is an optional dependency of devmon.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-06-24 13:26:36)

#284 2012-06-24 19:15:23

IgnorantGuru
Website

Here's some info on why spacefm behaves poorly with nfs.  Input welcome.
https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm … nt-6535491

UPDATE:  Turns out it wasn't the write call blocking causing the problem, but was stat calls in the main thread, as explained here.  gdb helped show what was going on in the threads.  But this will take some redesign to fix.  You can avoid the problem by closing the nfs directory tab while the copy is in progress.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-06-25 15:09:21)

#285 2012-06-26 21:23:59

IgnorantGuru
Website

Šaran wrote:

Using urxvtc will cause same issues, but with urxvt everything extracts just fine.

There seem to be a whole lot of these rxvt variants and I don't see the option I need.  Since you have it working, maybe you can check this...

Spacefm needs the terminal to block as long as the command in it is being run.  Some terminals talk on dbus and will open an additional window in an existing instance instead of starting a new instance (and this seems to be what urxvtc is intended for via urxvtd).  But usually they provide an option to not do this and instead create a new instance.

If you run urxvtc in a terminal to open another terminal, you shouldn't get the command prompt back until you close the new urxvtc terminal.  If you can figure out the option or method for that, that's what I need to know.

For example, with roxterm:

roxterm --disable-server

If it can't do that (lxterminal can't, for example), I can accommodate it another way, but some functionality in spacefm is lost (for example lxterminal can't use Keep Terminal Run In Terminal and Run As Task together in spacefm).

http://linux.die.net/man/1/urxvt
http://linux.die.net/man/1/urxvtc
http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/08/25 … nd-urxvtc/

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-06-28 20:40:16)

#286 2012-06-28 16:57:35

IgnorantGuru
Website

The thread branch, soon to be merged into next after more testing is complete, is now handling writing large files to nfs and sshfs reasonably well.  Long story short, spacefm was detecting changes in the directory, which triggered a call to stat() in the GUI thread, which caused unresponsiveness.

But that fix has raised a new question.  I hate to break existing functionality in accommodating nfs, etc.  Anyone have further input on this issue and how it might be handled?

#287 2012-06-28 20:23:01

IgnorantGuru
Website

Šaran wrote:

I've been playing with samba shares and can't get spacefm to ask for username and password.
After typing smb://192.168.1.100/homes into location bar, it asks for some password, but fails with same error I get if type wrong pass on mount command.

Password: 
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
[ Finished ]  Press Enter to close

spacefm won't ask for a username, and if one is not specified, cifs uses environment variable USER according to the man, which may be the source of your 'Permission denied' error.  If a username is required, include it like this in the pathbar or bookmark:  smb://USERNAME@192.168.1.100/homes

You can also include the password, although it's probably safer to enter it directly in the terminal:  smb://USERNAME:PASSWORD@192.168.1.100/homes

Does that resolve the problem?

#288 2012-07-04 20:01:04

ninian
Website

Trivial query, I'm sure:
When using 'rubber-band selection' in detailed list mode (starting the selection in the size or modified columns), the file listed at the start of the selection area never gets selected itself. This happens for selections made in both upward and downward directions. Doesn't seem consistent with what's expected (and especially compared with selecting in the other list modes).

#289 2012-07-05 07:26:19

Paramvir
Website

ninian wrote:

Trivial query, I'm sure:
When using 'rubber-band selection' in detailed list mode (starting the selection in the size or modified columns), the file listed at the start of the selection area never gets selected itself. This happens for selections made in both upward and downward directions. Doesn't seem consistent with what's expected (and especially compared with selecting in the other list modes).

It seems to be working fine - I use this feature all the time - perhaps if you test this selection in another file manager - I am using 0.7.8-1 the stock version. I tested in other modes as well though I normally use the detailed list mode.

#290 2012-07-05 23:10:39

ninian
Website

Paramvir wrote:

It seems to be working fine - I use this feature all the time - perhaps if you test this selection in another file manager - I am using 0.7.8-1 the stock version. I tested in other modes as well though I normally use the detailed list mode.

I'm using spacefm-git 20120617-1 (with double-click file opening) and here's an illustration of what I mean - seems to be different from other file managers:
zdqMT.jpg
Selecting in the Name column behaves differently and selects all of the three bottom files in the list.

Edit: typo

Last edited by ninian (2012-07-05 23:11:13)

#291 2012-07-06 05:13:21

Paramvir
Website

ninian wrote:

I'm using spacefm-git 20120617-1 (with double-click file opening) and here's an illustration of what I mean - seems to be different from other file managers:

Yes you are right - but if you do the same selection in the Name column - it should work - in thunar it works where ever you drag but in pcmanfm and spacefm you need to use the Name column.

#292 2012-07-06 07:45:06

ninian
Website

Paramvir wrote:

Yes you are right - but if you do the same selection in the Name column - it should work - in thunar it works where ever you drag but in pcmanfm and spacefm you need to use the Name column.

Aye, it's just one of those silly little things but we can live with that!
wink

#293 2012-07-12 23:07:51

IgnorantGuru
Website

ninian wrote:

Trivial query, I'm sure:

I think the underlying issue is that clicking on a file's date, for example, does not select the file.  I believe this has to do with Name being the activatable column.  I have noted the issue as something to look at but it's not high on the list (these little GTK things, while desirable to correct, can be very time consuming and often fruitless so they get limited dev time per release.)

#294 2012-07-13 16:41:27

IgnorantGuru
Website

SpaceFM 0.7.9 and udevil 0.3.0 have been released.

#295 2012-07-13 17:07:41

Paramvir
Website

Here is a Bulk Rename Tip

If you use Thunar - it has an excellent bulk rename tool Thunar -B

To use it in SpaceFM - use the Tools menu - you can right click and get the New command and enter the name Bulk Rename. You get presented with the dialog for entering the command - enter Thunar -B %F and you are done.

Select a bunch of files to rename and then use the new Tools - Bulk Rename command and voila - you have the files inside the bulk rename program.

Originally had used thunar script Bulkrename but it gives a problem with names with spaces. Using Thunar -B does the same job but handles spaces in names.

Last edited by Paramvir (2012-08-13 06:00:10)

#296 2012-07-13 17:21:00

xelados
Website

Just tried out SpaceFM. It seems pretty useful. The last FM I used was PCManFM and Space feels like a more refined, more stable version of it.

So kudos. You got me to use a GUI file manager for the first time in like 1-2 years. tongue

#297 2012-07-13 18:19:25

IgnorantGuru
Website

xelados wrote:

So kudos. You got me to use a GUI file manager for the first time in like 1-2 years. tongue

lol  That's good - one of the design goals is to make a GUI which offers some of the Linux CLI flexibility and adaptability.  We are Linux users after all, so it seems like our GUI should be more capable too.  I hope to get back to some work that will extend this - got sidetracked with udev, etc.

#298 2012-07-13 20:33:52

IgnorantGuru
Website

Announcement: udevil is now available in Arch's [community] repository (i686 and x86_64) along with spacefm.  Much thanks to Bartłomiej Piotrowski (Barthalion) for working on these!  I will also leave AUR udevil-git available for those who want to help test the next release as a work in progress.

#299 2012-07-14 02:26:59

anonymous_user

I decided to try SpaceFM again, and here's some minor feedback:

1. When sorting files/folders by Type, they will be out of order alphabetically.

2. When clicking on a device, it defaults to opening in a new tab however opening bookmarks does not. Ignoring the inconsistent behavior, I do prefer the latter (maybe add a preference for this?)

3. I would like to have custom actions like those in Thunar or qtfm. The Tools menu seems like a substitute however I have to always go to the menubar as opposed to the context menu. Is there a better option I missed?

4. When empty, the Tools menu has an item "New Command" however once an item is added, it disappears. It doesn't seem intuitive to have to right-click to further add items. I mean a right-click menu within a menu? Menuception.

5. Why does SpaceFM need to save the "root settings" to /etc/spacefm? Its not like I'm launching SpaceFM itself as root.

6. Any immediate plans for a GTK3 version of SpaceFM? wink

#300 2012-07-14 03:37:32

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

I decided to try SpaceFM again, and here's some minor feedback:

1. When sorting files/folders by Type, they will be out of order alphabetically.

Known issue.  At some point I may rework the sorting, which is underdeveloped.

2. When clicking on a device, it defaults to opening in a new tab however opening bookmarks does not. Ignoring the inconsistent behavior, I do prefer the latter (maybe add a preference for this?)

Right click and un/check New Tab or Settings|New Tab in either pane.

3. I would like to have custom actions like those in Thunar or qtfm. The Tools menu seems like a substitute however I have to always go to the menubar as opposed to the context menu. Is there a better option I missed?

You can add a custom command almost anywhere, including context menus - just right-click on an existing menu item and select New.

4. When empty, the Tools menu has an item "New Command" however once an item is added, it disappears. It doesn't seem intuitive to have to right-click to further add items. I mean a right-click menu within a menu? Menuception.

Design Mode.  SpaceFM's GUI does think outside the box, but it can accomplish a lot quickly if you get to know a few methods.  Actually right-clicking in a menu isn't new - the Firefox bookmarks menu is another example.  You can also use key shortcuts.

I find that people who review SpaceFM quickly just to check it out miss some of its best features.  I recommend using it for a bit to get a better feel for how it works overall, and while you may not usually read docs for this kind of app, you may want to at least browse them in this case.  Of course, I'm biased.  smile

5. Why does SpaceFM need to save the "root settings" to /etc/spacefm? Its not like I'm launching SpaceFM itself as root.

It doesn't need to - it will work fine if you decline.  It offers to do so to reduce the likelihood of root exploits being used.  Because SpaceFM runs some customizable commands as root via su, these settings are best protected by root.

6. Any immediate plans for a GTK3 version of SpaceFM? wink

No.  smile  That's a maybe someday, once it has settled a bit.  Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-07-14 03:55:04)

Board footer