You are not logged in.

#301 2012-07-14 05:41:43

anonymous_user

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Right click and un/check New Tab or Settings|New Tab in either pane.

Thanks.

IgnorantGuru wrote:

You can add a custom command almost anywhere, including context menus - just right-click on an existing menu item and select New.

I think I will be busy just customizing all the menus! XD

IgnorantGuru wrote:

I find that people who review SpaceFM quickly just to check it out miss some of its best features.  I recommend using it for a bit to get a better feel for how it works overall, and while you may not usually read docs for this kind of app, you may want to at least browse them in this case.

Ok I will try to make an effort then.

IgnorantGuru wrote:

It doesn't need to - it will work fine if you decline.  It offers to do so to reduce the likelihood of root exploits being used.  Because SpaceFM runs some customizable commands as root via su, these settings are best protected by root.

Makes sense.

One more question: While in details view, I cannot rubberband select in the empty space. I have to first select an item and then drag. This does not happen in compact or icon view. BTW, if this is the same issue or related issue to that reported by ninian (post 288/290), then ignore this.

#302 2012-07-14 12:50:33

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

One more question: While in details view, I cannot rubberband select in the empty space. I have to first select an item and then drag. This does not happen in compact or icon view. BTW, if this is the same issue or related issue to that reported by ninian (post 288/290), then ignore this.

I can confirm this, but I don't know off hand why the difference.  I didn't writing the rubberbanding code, just fixed a few issues in it thus far.  I've noted this as something to look over.  Some of these are quick fixes while with others one gets mired in the depths of gtk.

#303 2012-07-15 07:20:38

IgnorantGuru
Website

spacefm's next branch (spacefm-git) now has some added options for sorting the file list (eg Natural, Case Sensitive, Files Before/After Folders, Hidden Before/After Non-Hidden), and when files are sorted by another column (eg Type), the secondary sort should now be alphabetical by Name.  Thanks for testing these new options.

#304 2012-07-16 14:23:32

Lockheed

I know it has been talked about before, but I have not been able to find it: how can I make Backspace key to work as going up in folder structure?

#305 2012-07-18 17:46:20

IgnorantGuru
Website

Lockheed wrote:

I know it has been talked about before, but I have not been able to find it: how can I make Backspace key to work as going up in folder structure?

Right-click on the file list, and right-click on Go|Up, and click Key.

#306 2012-07-19 14:51:07

anonymous_user

A few more questions:

1. How do I change the order of toolbar items? For example the Home button for the left toolbar is on the right of the address bar but I'd want it to be closer to the back/forward buttons.

2. How do I change the order of panels? For example if I wanted the bookmarks to appear above devices.

3. It seems when extracting archive, SpaceFM can either always create a subfolder or not. I would like a smart behavior similar to atools'. It only creates a folder when there are multiple files or folders inside. For archives with a single folder or file, it just extracts it as is.

4. SpaceFM seems to remember to which file I selected in a directory and defaults to scrolling to it. How do I stop this behavior?

#307 2012-07-19 15:42:48

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

A few more questions:

1. How do I change the order of toolbar items? For example the Home button for the left toolbar is on the right of the address bar but I'd want it to be closer to the back/forward buttons.

http://ignorantguru.github.com/spacefm/ … e-toolbars

2. How do I change the order of panels? For example if I wanted the bookmarks to appear above devices.

As of 0.7.9, the order of the side panes cannot be changed.

3. It seems when extracting archive, SpaceFM can either always create a subfolder or not. I would like a smart behavior similar to atools'. It only creates a folder when there are multiple files or folders inside. For archives with a single folder or file, it just extracts it as is.

https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/issues/102

4. SpaceFM seems to remember to which file I selected in a directory and defaults to scrolling to it. How do I stop this behavior?

As of 0.7.9, navigation history isn't optional.

#308 2012-07-19 22:49:40

anonymous_user

IgnorantGuru wrote:
anonymous_user wrote:

A few more questions:

http://ignorantguru.github.com/spacefm/ … e-toolbars

All the built-in items have the cut, copy, paste options greyed out so I cannot move them like that. I could create custom items, but what would be the commands (for like Refresh, Home, etc)? Also it would be great if the left-most button (toolbar design button?) could be moved as well.

Finally something particular I noticed is that the right toolbar has the refresh button in between Up and Home instead of being the last item.

Last edited by anonymous_user (2012-07-19 22:56:30)

#309 2012-07-20 01:58:45

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

All the built-in items have the cut, copy, paste options greyed out so I cannot move them like that. I could create custom items, but what would be the commands (for like Refresh, Home, etc)? Also it would be great if the left-most button (toolbar design button?) could be moved as well.

Currently built-in toolbar items can be shown or not, but their order cannot be changed.  To make spacefm change to a directory (eg Home) in a custom command, just run 'spacefm -r DIR' in the command.

To create copies of built-in commands (eg Refresh), one way is to assign a key to View|Refresh (eg F5), then add a custom command that simulates that keypress, eg 'xdotool key F5'

#310 2012-07-20 12:21:09

Lockheed

Since some time now, in the Device section, I have two items even if no externals are connected. they are
sda4 1024B
sd0 [no media]

What are they, exactly?

#311 2012-07-20 12:26:10

anonymous_user

Just a guess but I think sda4 might be an extended partition and sd0 an optical drive.

#312 2012-07-22 15:11:36

anonymous_user

IgnorantGuru wrote:

5. Why does SpaceFM need to save the "root settings" to /etc/spacefm? Its not like I'm launching SpaceFM itself as root.

It doesn't need to - it will work fine if you decline.  It offers to do so to reduce the likelihood of root exploits being used.  Because SpaceFM runs some customizable commands as root via su, these settings are best protected by root.

I recently tried changing which terminal SpaceFM would use however the setting would not stick unless I entered my password to save as root. Is that normal?

#313 2012-07-22 17:04:35

Paramvir
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

I recently tried changing which terminal SpaceFM would use however the setting would not stick unless I entered my password to save as root. Is that normal?

Yes

#314 2012-07-22 18:30:14

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

On startup SpaceFM will read the terminal setting from /etc/spacefm/USER-as-root if present, ignoring the setting saved in your session file (~/.config/spacefm/session).  You can then change the setting in Preferences, but if you don't supply the root password, /etc/spacefm won't be updated, so on the next startup it will revert again to the setting saved in /etc/spacefm/USER-as-root.  This is by design - this setting now has root protection so you can't change it as a normal user.

So you must have saved the setting as root at least once to get that behavior.  Also note that when you run other commands as root, such as format, the settings saved in /etc/spacefm may be updated.

You can delete /etc/spacefm/USER-as-root for your user so only the settings saved in /home will be used on the next startup.

#315 2012-07-30 20:09:37

Viper_Scull

Love it!

But i can't see my non-mounted internal partitions as I did with udisks + PcManFM. Is there any way to achieve it?

Athlon II X4 620 + Gigabyte 785GPM-UD2H + 4GB DDR3 + SSD OCZ Vertex2 60GB

Archlinux x86_64 + Openbox

#316 2012-07-31 03:42:16

sonoran

Viper_Scull wrote:

Love it!

But i can't see my non-mounted internal partitions as I did with udisks + PcManFM. Is there any way to achieve it?

Maybe this: Right-click in the devices area then select Settings/Show in the menu.

Also check out udevil, now in the repo - very handy for accessing various partitions and drives.

#317 2012-07-31 18:40:49

Berseker

spacefm is great, but I really think that "sort" and "style" menus should be in the "main menu" shown when you right-click in a folder, instead of being placed this way (  main menu -> View -> Style -> Sort ).. is there a way to move them?
also, maybe someone already asked this... Any way to enable thumbnails also for video files?

#318 2012-08-03 05:17:02

anonymous_user

When overwriting files, it would be nice if the dialog box included details like file sizes and dates modified. Currently I have no way of knowing if the file is identical or not.

BTW I noticed that in the bookmark and devices sidepanels, when you select an item and then move to a different location, the item stays selected. It looks inaccurate especially if you are browsing folder X, have bookmark Y selected and also device Z selected.

#319 2012-08-03 14:14:31

IgnorantGuru
Website

Berseker wrote:

spacefm is great, but I really think that "sort" and "style" menus should be in the "main menu" shown when you right-click in a folder, instead of being placed this way (  main menu -> View -> Style -> Sort ).. is there a way to move them?

Seldom used options are deeper in the menus, and most users set the sort the way they want and leave it.  Note that you can also click a column header if you just want to change the sort-by column.  If you use the sort options frequently you can assign key shortcuts to them.

There is no provided method for moving built-in menu items, but you can effectively move them...  As noted above, to create copies of built-in commands (eg Refresh), one way is to assign a key to View|Refresh (eg F5), then add a custom command that simulates that keypress, eg 'xdotool key F5'.  You can also then hide the original menu item if desired by setting an impossible context for it.

also, maybe someone already asked this... Any way to enable thumbnails also for video files?

Video thumbnails are not currently supported.

#320 2012-08-03 14:17:46

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

When overwriting files, it would be nice if the dialog box included details like file sizes and dates modified. Currently I have no way of knowing if the file is identical or not.

Thanks - sounds like a good addition.

BTW I noticed that in the bookmark and devices sidepanels, when you select an item and then move to a different location, the item stays selected. It looks inaccurate especially if you are browsing folder X, have bookmark Y selected and also device Z selected.

I'm not inclined to change this behavior as the selected items in the devices and bookmarks panes are also part of command context (custom commands can use the provided bash variables to read which item is selected in which pane and take actions on it), so in some cases it may be undesirable for them to be automatically unselected.  Unlike the Tree pane, these do not automatically follow the current dir.

#321 2012-08-03 14:23:27

ninian
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:
anonymous_user wrote:

Thanks - sounds like a good addition.

+1 for me!

#322 2012-08-03 17:32:25

irtigor

Talking about that dialog... in fat32 partitions, lower/uppercase doesn't matter, foo == Foo == FOO. That's ok, but even saying "yes" the filename is not changed. This a problem to me, because things does not work in the same way on my TV. Right now, I have to name foo → foo1, and rename it Foo, for example.

(spacefm 0.7.10 - udevil 0.3.1)

#323 2012-08-03 17:54:33

IgnorantGuru
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

This feature is now in next (spacefm-git).

irtigor wrote:

Talking about that dialog... in fat32 partitions, lower/uppercase doesn't matter, foo == Foo == FOO. That's ok, but even saying "yes" the filename is not changed. This a problem to me, because things does not work in the same way on my TV. Right now, I have to name foo → foo1, and rename it Foo, for example.

I'm not following you - there is no 'yes' button in the overwrite query.  What is the filename you are copying, what is the filename being replaced, what button are you pressing, and what result do you expect?  Thanks.

When a file is overwritten, it's contents are overwritten, but the filename is not changed, regardless of fstype.

#324 2012-08-03 18:37:12

irtigor

Yes, I made things a little confusing. Let's say I wanna rename a file "mysub.srt" to "MySub.srt".

Select it → press F2 → change the letters, right?

In fat32 partitions, it does not work. On top of the rename dialog I got "Filename: * overwrite existing file", pressing the "rename" button I got the Overwrite warning, "The file path exists.  Overwrite existing file?", so I pressed the "yes" button, but the name stayed the same ("mysub.srt"). Is it clear?

Thanks.

#325 2012-08-03 19:51:57

IgnorantGuru
Website

irtigor wrote:

Yes, I made things a little confusing. Let's say I wanna rename a file "mysub.srt" to "MySub.srt".

Select it → press F2 → change the letters, right?

In fat32 partitions, it does not work. On top of the rename dialog I got "Filename: * overwrite existing file", pressing the "rename" button I got the Overwrite warning, "The file path exists.  Overwrite existing file?", so I pressed the "yes" button, but the name stayed the same ("mysub.srt"). Is it clear?

Yes, that is a different dialog.  I see what you're trying to do but I'm not sure that's possible.  I'm not used to using fat32 though.  I tried a test:

mkdosfs -F 32 -I /dev/sda3  # format erases the disk!
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/test
touch /mnt/test/new
mv /mnt/test/new /mnt/test/neW
mv: cannot move `/mnt/test/new' to `/mnt/test/neW': File exists

But I notice it was mounted as utf8, which may make it case sensitive:

/dev/sda3 on /mnt/test type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)

At any rate, you're getting the "The file path exists.  Overwrite existing file?" message because ( lstat64( full_path, &statbuf ) == 0 )  - iow according to the kernel the new filename already exists.  Oddly, I am not getting that message, nor do I see "* overwrite existing file", but when I click Rename I get a 'File exists' error.

So if you want to show me how to mount fat32 case insensitive, maybe I can reproduce what you're seeing.  Also, show me how you would rename the file in a terminal.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-08-03 19:54:19)

Board footer