You are not logged in.

#326 2012-08-03 21:07:38

irtigor

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

My drive is mounted with: rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro

I've tried combinations of "check" and "shortname" (doc: http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation … /vfat.txt), none worked. I don't use fat32 often enough, can't remember if it used to work in others fm, also it's not a big problem having to rename twice (mv /mnt/test/new /mnt/test/new1; mv /mnt/test/new1 /mnt/test/neW).

#327 2012-08-04 11:50:02

IgnorantGuru
Website

irtigor wrote:

My drive is mounted with: rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro

I've tried combinations of "check" and "shortname" (doc: http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation … /vfat.txt), none worked. I don't use fat32 often enough, can't remember if it used to work in others fm, also it's not a big problem having to rename twice (mv /mnt/test/new /mnt/test/new1; mv /mnt/test/new1 /mnt/test/neW).

SpaceFM probably won't get into the double renaming, but you could make a custom command that renames it twice in one step.

#328 2012-08-12 16:18:12

Berseker

IgnorantGuru wrote:
Berseker wrote:

spacefm is great, but I really think that "sort" and "style" menus should be in the "main menu" shown when you right-click in a folder, instead of being placed this way (  main menu -> View -> Style -> Sort ).. is there a way to move them?

Seldom used options are deeper in the menus, and most users set the sort the way they want and leave it.  Note that you can also click a column header if you just want to change the sort-by column.  If you use the sort options frequently you can assign key shortcuts to them.

There is no provided method for moving built-in menu items, but you can effectively move them...  As noted above, to create copies of built-in commands (eg Refresh), one way is to assign a key to View|Refresh (eg F5), then add a custom command that simulates that keypress, eg 'xdotool key F5'.  You can also then hide the original menu item if desired by setting an impossible context for it.

Well, sorry but I do not think that sort is a "seldom used option"in a file manager, every other single file manager around has the sort option directly in the main drop down menu for a reason.. anyway  the "sort by column header" suggestion is a nice way to get around this.

also, maybe someone already asked this... Any way to enable thumbnails also for video files?

Video thumbnails are not currently supported.

ok, but are there plans to support them? interacting with tumbler would be a nice, fast and clean solution, do you agree?

#329 2012-08-12 18:52:48

IgnorantGuru
Website

Berseker wrote:

Video thumbnails are not currently supported.

ok, but are there plans to support them? interacting with tumbler would be a nice, fast and clean solution, do you agree?

No current plans on it but I do get requests for it.  If you'd like to contribute some research you can look into what APIs support this and what effect it would have on dependencies, keeping in mind that spacefm is not a bloated gvfs app, etc.  Personally I don't see the use, but I've never tried them, and don't use tumbler.  I would need to research it before I could say how feasible it is for spacefm.  Not a priority at present, but it's on the long list of requests.

#330 2012-08-13 06:02:46

Berseker

http://git.xfce.org/xfce/tumbler/
i tought it was an indipendent project but I see that's part of XFCE..

also I'm not a developer, but this maybe acn be useful to se the dependencies

$ ldd /usr/lib/tumbler-1/tumblerd 
	linux-gate.so.1 (0xb77cb000)
	libdbus-glib-1.so.2 => /lib/libdbus-glib-1.so.2 (0xb777b000)
	libdbus-1.so.3 => /lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0xb7730000)
	libtumbler-1.so.0 => /lib/libtumbler-1.so.0 (0xb7724000)
	libgio-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libgio-2.0.so.0 (0xb75ce000)
	libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0xb757f000)
	libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xb7486000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb746b000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb72c5000)
	librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0xb72bc000)
	libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0 (0xb7296000)
	libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0xb7291000)
	libgthread-2.0.so.0 => /lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0 (0xb728e000)
	libffi.so.6 => /lib/libffi.so.6 (0xb7287000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7282000)
	libpcre.so.1 => /lib/libpcre.so.1 (0xb721d000)
	libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0xb7206000)
	libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0xb71ee000)
	/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb77cc000)
	libpng15.so.15 => /lib/libpng15.so.15 (0xb71be000)
	libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb717e000)

#331 2012-08-22 08:43:08

chickenPie4tea

Very nice file browser - using it now as my main one. However I still cant understand how to install my own plugins even after reading about it on the main wiki. I had no trouble with custom actions in Nautilus or Thunar but cant manage with Spacefm. just dont understand the way it is written  - must be in a tar file and be called plugin etc

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#332 2012-08-22 10:20:35

Paramvir
Website

chickenPie4tea wrote:

Very nice file browser - using it now as my main one. However I still cant understand how to install my own plugins even after reading about it on the main wiki. I had no trouble with custom actions in Nautilus or Thunar but cant manage with Spacefm. just dont understand the way it is written  - must be in a tar file and be called plugin etc

That is true but I found a way to use my scripts with this fantastic file manager - is to use the Tools menu.

here is my post https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 8#p1128958 - I am using the Thunar -B option - similarly you can add your own scripts wink

Edit - yes ok you will not get mouse context menu - just select the files you want and select your script from the Tools menu

cheers

Last edited by Paramvir (2012-08-22 10:22:24)

#333 2012-08-22 10:40:31

anonymous_user

chickenPie4tea wrote:

If you just want to emulate Thunar's custom actions, it is easier just to add custom entries to Spacefm's context menu.

#334 2012-08-22 12:38:59

zeltak

Hya

just disciverd spaceFM and pretty much blown away (ive been a krusader user for a very very long time)
im trying to make the switch but have a few questions:

1) Was wondering if anyone know of a way to launch bookmarks with keyboard only? i try to use the mosue as little as i can ;-)
2)how does one map 'TAB' to switch between panes
3)hoe does one map a key to "enter current dir"  (opposite of the "go up" command)? i want to try to emulate the lynx like movment of mc/krusader
4)is there a way to chain keybinds?

thx again for this incredile program

Z.

#335 2012-08-22 17:41:55

IgnorantGuru
Website

chickenPie4tea wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "install my own plugins".

If you mean add custom commands to a menu, have a look at Design Mode.  Briefly, right-click on an existing menu item and select New.  You can then right-click on the new menu item to alter it.

If you have a plugin file from the wiki that you want to install, select Plugins|Install|File.

If you want to save your custom command as a plugin, use Export.

#336 2012-08-22 17:53:25

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:

Hya

just disciverd spaceFM and pretty much blown away (ive been a krusader user for a very very long time)
im trying to make the switch but have a few questions:

1) Was wondering if anyone know of a way to launch bookmarks with keyboard only? i try to use the mosue as little as i can ;-)
2)how does one map 'TAB' to switch between panes
3)hoe does one map a key to "enter current dir"  (opposite of the "go up" command)? i want to try to emulate the lynx like movment of mc/krusader
4)is there a way to chain keybinds?

thx again for this incredile program

Z.

1) You can focus the Bookmarks list (right-click on file list and select Go|Focus|Bookmarks - no default key but you can assign one to that menu item).  Then use up/down arrow keys to move and Enter to open a bookmark.  Or, if you want to assign a key that takes you to a particular bookmark, there is no provided way to do this, but you can create a custom command that runs 'spacefm DIR' or 'spacefm -r DIR', then assign a key to that new menu item.

2) Tab moves focus to the next GUI element.  You can assign keys to focus a given side pane (see 1 above), or to focus a panel, set a key to View|Go|Panel N or Next, etc.

3) If you just want to enter the currently selected directory in the file list, just press Enter. 

4) Not sure I know what you mean, but you can make a custom command which sends several keypresses, eg executes 'xdotool key F5' then 'xdotool key F6', etc

Thanks for your feedback.

#337 2012-08-22 20:17:12

zeltak

Thank you so much for your quick reply IgnorantGuru!

If you dont mind i have some additional related questions/request

1)the go>bookmarks key works fantastically, will it be possible to ask for a way to jump to a bookmark based on the letter, IE after it in focus if i press 'd' it will auto switch dir to 'downloads' etc? also since i have a small screnn laptop could the focus+launch be done in the background/popup/autohide window so i get to save screen real-estate on my screen (i dont have to have the actual pane open?

2)i still cant seem to get the tab thing, you mentioned a "set a key to View|Go|Panel N or Next, etc." i cant seem to find a 'go' option under view or a panel option under go. also can the same key be mapped so that each press would move between the 2 panels (mimicking a traditional dual pane file manager)

3)i would much rather use mc/krusader like movement to traverse directories (left/right keys), is there a way to reassign enter to right?

thanks alot again, i dont know how to code at all but if there is any help needed with artwork, blogging etc i would be happy to help out!

best

Z.

#338 2012-08-23 01:22:00

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:

1)the go>bookmarks key works fantastically, will it be possible to ask for a way to jump to a bookmark based on the letter, IE after it in focus if i press 'd' it will auto switch dir to 'downloads' etc?

If the bookmarks pane has focus, press a key should activate the search - eg pressing d will jump to the first bookmark whose name begins with d.  (Up/down arrows or scroll wheel goes to the next/previous).  You do need to press Enter to activate it (change dir).

also since i have a small screnn laptop could the focus+launch be done in the background/popup/autohide window so i get to save screen real-estate on my screen (i dont have to have the actual pane open?

I don't understand.

2)i still cant seem to get the tab thing, you mentioned a "set a key to View|Go|Panel N or Next, etc." i cant seem to find a 'go' option under view or a panel option under go. also can the same key be mapped so that each press would move between the 2 panels (mimicking a traditional dual pane file manager)

Sorry I meant the View menu on the menu bar (along the top of the window), not on the context menu.  View|Go|Next should cycle through the open panels.  It's on the menu bar in this case because it is window-level option (whereas the file list context menu applies to the current panel).

3)i would much rather use mc/krusader like movement to traverse directories (left/right keys), is there a way to reassign enter to right?

On the context menu, Open|Default (F6) is the same as clicking on a file, except that it can also open multiple files in double-click mode.  So if you set that to right arrow that might give you what you want (although you'll lose the ability to scroll right with it).  And Go|Back could be set to left arrow.

thanks alot again, i dont know how to code at all but if there is any help needed with artwork, blogging etc i would be happy to help out!

Thanks - will keep that in mind, especially the artwork!

#339 2012-08-23 16:08:04

zeltak

Hi again,

so i have a few more questions (i did read the manual before ;-)):

btw is there a common place to place requests?

1)in the "select by pattern" it would be nice to have SpaceFM remember X last selected patters.  maybe a /up/down keycombo to scroll through them or have a user saved list on the side?

2) is it possible to toggle the sort mode? it would be nice to map one key to toggle between the asced/descd state of a sort (date,name etc)

3)does SpaceFM have a filter/quickfilter mode? i cant seem to see anything in the menu/options.

4) Select files are cleared by moving up an down with the keyboard, is that by desgin? is there anyway to make the selection static until one moves dirs/refreshes?

5) what i mean by chain commands btw is like in vim , that is press a 'leader' key (IE- '\' ) and then another key to execute a command . For example to launch a custom command i would press \+m to launch my custom command 1 etc

6)is it possible to add icons (launchers) or new menus in the same tabbar (toolbar) where the file, view etc options are?

Let me know if im asking to many question and ill "throttle" myself  ;-). i just am absolutly amazed by SpaceFM and the work you have done in such a short time. im a long time Krusader/MC/ranger/Total commander user and SpaceFM just leapfrogs them in so many aspects!

thank you again for all your hard work

Z.

Last edited by zeltak (2012-08-23 20:47:17)

#340 2012-08-24 12:18:36

IgnorantGuru
Website

zeltak wrote:

btw is there a common place to place requests?

Yes bugs and requests can be opened in SpaceFM Issues.  I appreciate suggestions and ideas even if I can't keep up with all of them - the larger the pool of feedback, the better this and future software becomes.  For example, the whole idea of plugins and a place for users to share their custom commands came from users of pcmanfm-mod (spacefm's ancestor).  And the whole flexibility thing was definitely based on feedback.  While a given request may not get implemented quickly or at all, I ignore nothing and it helps to know what's working and what's not.

2) is it possible to toggle the sort mode? it would be nice to map one key to toggle between the asced/descd state of a sort (date,name etc)

There is no toggle, but you can assign a key to any item in View|Style|Sort|...  (You could make a custom command that remembered the state and performed a toggle by using xdotool to emit the required keypresses.)  Also note that you can click on a column header to change the sort when using detailed view.

3)does SpaceFM have a filter/quickfilter mode? i cant seem to see anything in the menu/options.

No filters yet.

4) Select files are cleared by moving up an down with the keyboard, is that by design? is there anyway to make the selection static until one moves dirs/refreshes?

I've never adjusted this behavior from the original pcmanfm source that is used for this (or it may be default gtk behavior).  You can hold down Control to move without altering the selection, and to Ctrl+Space un/select individual items.  Also shift.  If you think it should work differently please open an issue detailing how you think it should work.

5) what i mean by chain commands btw is like in vim , that is press a 'leader' key (IE- '\' ) and then another key to execute a command . For example to launch a custom command i would press \+m to launch my custom command 1 etc

Only single key combinations can be set - I've noted the idea.

6)is it possible to add icons (launchers) or new menus in the same tabbar (toolbar) where the file, view etc options are?

Not sure what you're referring to.  You can add custom commands to almost any menu or context menu - anywhere right-click opens the design menu, and on the toolbars.  It is not possible to add new top-level menu's to the menu bar (File View Bookmarks Plugins ...).

Thanks for your feedback.  I formerly used Krusader for awhile, definitely an inspiration.  But your mc references are lost on me - never used that much.  If I ever have time I want to look over some more of the file managers and steal ideas.  smile

#341 2012-08-24 20:08:45

xorgx3

I'm sorry, i didn't read whole topic, and I have question:
I installed trash plugin and I want move file to them by right-click "delete" option. Can I do this?

#342 2012-08-25 02:35:04

tri1976

xorgx3 wrote:

I'm sorry, i didn't read whole topic, and I have question:
I installed trash plugin and I want move file to them by right-click "delete" option. Can I do this?

Default spacefm delete will permanently delete your file.  You have to use trash to move item to trashcan.  You can reassign delete key to trash and shift+delete or some other key spacefm default delete.

Last edited by tri1976 (2012-08-25 02:37:28)

#343 2012-08-25 02:36:55

tri1976

panel 2 doesn't have path bar, did I mess up my config or is this a bug?

#344 2012-08-25 02:41:02

anonymous_user

Have you tried a clean config? All my panels have the path bar (address bar?):

screenshot_08_24_2012_073948.jpg

#345 2012-08-25 02:51:27

tri1976

my bad...my panel was too small for address bar to show.  It's fine smile

Last edited by tri1976 (2012-08-25 02:54:34)

#346 2012-08-25 11:37:23

IgnorantGuru
Website

xorgx3 wrote:

If you're asking how to add the Trash plugin to the right-click menu, you can copy and paste it there.  You can also hide the built-in Delete command (set an impossible context for it so it will stay hidden).

#347 2012-08-25 13:22:22

xorgx3

Thanks a lot  IgnorantGuru, it is what I want big_smile

EDIT:
I have another two question: is possible search like is in Pcmanfm(only beginning of the name, not full name in file is searched)?

And second: How to change unpack archive file? Now when I double click file is unpack to the folder, and this is irritating.

Sorry about my english...

Last edited by xorgx3 (2012-08-25 16:33:26)

#348 2012-08-25 17:02:18

IgnorantGuru
Website

xorgx3 wrote:

I have another two question: is possible search like is in Pcmanfm(only beginning of the name, not full name in file is searched)?

Currently there is no option for this, but you can put a caret (^) at the start of your search key (eg ^text).  See find-as-you-type search notes (not yet documented).

And second: How to change unpack archive file? Now when I double click file is unpack to the folder, and this is irritating.

Right-click on any archive file and select option Open|Archive Default|Open With App.

#349 2012-08-25 17:13:10

xorgx3

@IgnorantGuru thanks a lot for this info, now I try solved my problem by reading documentation smile and i hope searching will be changed, but this is detail smile

#350 2012-08-27 22:38:18

Rasi
Website

I wonder if it is possible to have one toolbar only, which works for all panels, depending on focus.

Also, what exactly is the purpose of the side panel. It seems totally obsolete, since it doesnt provide any additional features to the normal panels.

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

Board footer