You are not logged in.

#101 2012-03-11 17:42:36

ninian
Website

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Unfortunately mainstream Linux has taken a very bad direction replacing a mess like hal with a mess like udisks, and now udisks is clearly going from bad to worse.  I think it's time for a simple, more Linux-like solution.

Aaaaarrgh ... what a horrible muddle, and your comments definitely seem apt. On all my - non-Gnome - lightweight systems, I use a script to wrap udisks, parsing its output to allow me to mount and unmount just about everything. That's why I was pleased to see SpaceFM (and of course your own excellent 'devmon') using udisks too; it seemed powerful and pretty logical at the time. Now where do we all go ...?

The other project which comes to mind, not using udisks as such but libudev instead (as far as I recall), is ldm - see https://github.com/LemonBoy/ldm. Is this the type of code which could be adapted for a DE-independent light solution for SpaceFM?
hmm

#102 2012-03-11 18:22:19

IgnorantGuru
Website

ninian wrote:

Aaaaarrgh ... what a horrible muddle, and your comments definitely seem apt. On all my - non-Gnome - lightweight systems, I use a script to wrap udisks, parsing its output to allow me to mount and unmount just about everything. That's why I was pleased to see SpaceFM (and of course your own excellent 'devmon') using udisks too; it seemed powerful and pretty logical at the time. Now where do we all go ...?

The other project which comes to mind, not using udisks as such but libudev instead (as far as I recall), is ldm - see https://github.com/LemonBoy/ldm. Is this the type of code which could be adapted for a DE-independent light solution for SpaceFM?
hmm

I think for the short term the crippled udisks2 command line tool can still be used for some purposes, providing you're willing to rewrite all your scripts to accommodate the pointless usage changes, and any changes the author introduces in the future to keep it unusable and breaking.  But the author, obviously a mainstream Linux (aka Windows) developer, is certainly doing what he can to reduce its usefulness.  I wrote my review: Udisks2: Another Loss For Linux

This trend is nothing new, but is increasingly affecting core Linux programs.  They're even breaking 'mount' now in ridiculous ways (bind mounts don't work as they should, etc).  Anything that has always been reliable in Linux is being undermined systemically.

Thanks for the ldm link - worth a look.  While I support such efforts, the reality is that doing hardware support in a small project isn't usually practical - there are just too many devices and setups for any small project maintainer to keep up with.  The solution needs to be a larger collaboration.  But I like his approach and might learn something there

I did look over libudev, and it doesn't look too bad for detecting device additions/removals.  But getting useful properties for a device is under-documented and non-trivial, as mounting may be.  They have made it a very complex situation, which serves the purposes of DEs looking to take over the world, but doesn't serve core Linux.  I would love for spacefm to dump udisks, though, so I'm still considering the limited options.

#103 2012-03-12 18:30:45

fabertawe

I don't know how I missed this thread until now... have just installed SpaceFM and I have to say it's wonderful! Many thanks smile

A few points if I may...

1. I agree with the earlier poster regarding moving files between drives with drag and drop. I think it should copy instead. Maybe a middle-click drag for move? Or at least an additional middle-click drag for copy? What about a middle-click drag menu with the options of 'move', 'copy' and also 'link' (very useful).

2. Would it be possible for a view -> style -> sort -> name (descending) option to sort alphabetically? i.e in reverse - ' afolder bfolder .afolder .bfolder afile bfile .afile .bfile'

3. If I symlink bookmarks to .gtk-bookmarks is there a chance of a future problem with this?

The only thing keeping me on nautilus-elementary right now is Nautilus Actions and my many, many useful filetype dependent context menu actions.

I really like SpaceFM and see this as the long term solution. Cheers!

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#104 2012-03-13 22:44:59

IgnorantGuru
Website

fabertawe wrote:

1. I agree with the earlier poster regarding moving files between drives with drag and drop. I think it should copy instead. Maybe a middle-click drag for move? Or at least an additional middle-click drag for copy? What about a middle-click drag menu with the options of 'move', 'copy' and also 'link' (very useful).

I like your idea to make copy the default - that might be the best solution since I like the consistency more than context-based drag.  You can also change the mode by holding down ctrl or shift, or both.  Not sure about the middle-click but I'll take a look.

2. Would it be possible for a view -> style -> sort -> name (descending) option to sort alphabetically? i.e in reverse - ' afolder bfolder .afolder .bfolder afile bfile .afile .bfile'

There have been a number of requests for alternate sorts - I do plan to look at this, but it won't be soon.  (Higher priority items waiting.)

3. If I symlink bookmarks to .gtk-bookmarks is there a chance of a future problem with this?

Highly likely.  If you try that make sure you keep a backup - it may get overwritten.

The only thing keeping me on nautilus-elementary right now is Nautilus Actions and my many, many useful filetype dependent context menu actions.

I'm not familiar with Nautilus Actions, but if you have that many you might consider making a script to convert them to spacefm plugins.  You could then make the script a plugin - others might find that useful.

I really like SpaceFM and see this as the long term solution. Cheers!

Thanks - I appreciate the feedback!

#105 2012-03-14 08:56:15

fabertawe

IgnorantGuru wrote:

I'm not familiar with Nautilus Actions, but if you have that many you might consider making a script to convert them to spacefm plugins.  You could then make the script a plugin - others might find that useful.

Thanks for the reply, when I get some time I'm going to have a crack at converting a few to plugins and see how that works. I look forward to contributing something to this excellent project.

#106 2012-03-14 14:55:15

hasufell

IgnorantGuru wrote:

I haven't seen this.  Is it possible to take screenshot?  Does spacefm hang or continue working normally?  Any warnings in stdout (run spacefm in a terminal)?

i can still minimize the window, but its all blank and as soon as i want to close it, my wm tells me it has crashed ( http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52044785/spacefmbug.png )

this happened under openbox and fluxbox, no warnings in stdout at all

I'm not familiar with gdb and that seems quite complex, so I'm not sure how to hunt that down (debug symbols are compiled and unstripped)

Last edited by hasufell (2012-03-14 15:15:06)

#107 2012-03-14 14:59:36

anonymous_user

#108 2012-03-16 01:16:25

anonymous_user

@IgnorantGuru - You've said that "The new SpaceFM file manager includes much of the functionality of devmon." however would devices only be mounted once SpaceFM is started?

#109 2012-03-16 13:20:51

0ddba11

IgnorantGuru wrote:

When you set a default, spacefm should update ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list.  When needed, it may also create a custom desktop file in that directory.  This code is mostly unchanged from legacy pcmanfm and pcmanfm-mod, except that those programs always create custom files when changing the default app, which made a mess of the mime folders.  spacefm just changes defaults.list when possible.  Please check those files to see what may be happening.  Feel free to submit a bug report.  Also, do other file managers see your MIME apps and change the MIME default normally on your system?

Aha! ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list was owned by root for some reason. Sorted it, thanks for the quick response, will test out v0.7.2 soon.

#110 2012-03-17 13:24:26

AndyRTR
Developer

How can I use meld for diffing 2 files? I'm trying to add "meld" as command but how to set the marked file agruments?

#111 2012-03-17 14:33:07

hasufell

AndyRTR wrote:

How can I use meld for diffing 2 files? I'm trying to add "meld" as command but how to set the marked file agruments?

use

meld --diff "${fm_files[@]}"

and you can diff 2 or more...

when you create a script instead of a "line command" there are many additional variables explained in the file

#112 2012-03-17 15:45:38

AndyRTR
Developer

meld --diff "${fm_files[@]}" > /dev/null 2>&1

That is working well in one file list (single panel) but doesn't work over two different panels.

#113 2012-03-17 15:50:17

hasufell

AndyRTR wrote:

meld --diff "${fm_files[@]}" > /dev/null 2>&1

That is working well in one file list (single panel) but doesn't work over two different panels.

something like

meld --diff "${fm_panel1_files[@]}" "${fm_panel2_files[@]}" "${fm_panel3_files[@]}" "${fm_panel4_files[@]}"

#114 2012-03-17 15:56:34

AndyRTR
Developer

Thanks, that works well with one or more panels.

#115 2012-03-20 13:24:44

tri1976

When a plugin is installed, it appears in the plugins dropdown from the menu bar.  How do I get it to appear in the right click menu?

#116 2012-03-20 14:51:16

hasufell

tri1976 wrote:

When a plugin is installed, it appears in the plugins dropdown from the menu bar.  How do I get it to appear in the right click menu?

Open the plugin archive. It should consist of the plugin file and several subdirectories where custom commands are stored (exec.sh).

You can create a new command ("script", not "line") anywhere in the right-click menu and copy/paste the _contents_ of any of the exec.sh files from the tarball into it.

Last edited by hasufell (2012-03-20 14:52:01)

#117 2012-03-20 17:11:55

tri1976

Thanks hasufell.  I realize I could do that, but it seems so "cloogy".  You can copy the plugin and paste it to right click menu, but it doesn't copy and paste the actual script (it just creates an empty script).

#118 2012-03-20 17:21:13

hasufell

tri1976 wrote:

Thanks hasufell.  I realize I could do that, but it seems so "cloogy".  You can copy the plugin and paste it to right click menu, but it doesn't copy and paste the actual script (it just creates an empty script).

I don't understand that.

If I copy a whole plugin and paste it to my right-click menu (like the trash plugin) it creates the appropriate scripts there which are not empty.

Which plugin are you talking about?

#119 2012-03-20 17:26:16

fabertawe

hasufell wrote:
tri1976 wrote:

Open the plugin archive. It should consist of the plugin file and several subdirectories where custom commands are stored (exec.sh).

You can create a new command ("script", not "line") anywhere in the right-click menu and copy/paste the _contents_ of any of the exec.sh files from the tarball into it.

@IgnorantGuru - could plugin functionality be integrated into the right-click menu? For instance, a submenu containing all the installed plugins.

Preferably, even appearing directly in the right-click menu but only showing the plugins relevant to the selected file(s). This would involve checking the mime type or file extension against a list provided by the plugin, i.e. video converter plugin only appearing when the file(s) selected are of type .mpg, .avi, whatever, etc. This is how Nautilus-Actions works.

Also, when I left click an archive, it extracts. Is there a way to have it open with its designated program instead, i.e. 'Open -> Archive Manager' ?

Many thanks.

#120 2012-03-20 19:07:17

tri1976

hasufell wrote:

I don't understand that.

If I copy a whole plugin and paste it to my right-click menu (like the trash plugin) it creates the appropriate scripts there which are not empty.

You're right....copy and paste individual command works, but it doesn't work if commands are in a submenu.  I reconfigured the Trash plugin to have all functions (trash, restore, and empty) in a submenu (this is available in the latest update.....and thanks for using my plugin by the way).  As per IgnorantGuru suggestion, I did this so user can just download and install one file.  I guess as a work around, one can create a submenu then copy and paste commands into it....it just adds a lot of work.

Last edited by tri1976 (2012-03-20 19:40:17)

#121 2012-03-20 19:46:44

hasufell

fabertawe wrote:

@IgnorantGuru - could plugin functionality be integrated into the right-click menu? For instance, a submenu containing all the installed plugins.

Preferably, even appearing directly in the right-click menu but only showing the plugins relevant to the selected file(s). This would involve checking the mime type or file extension against a list provided by the plugin, i.e. video converter plugin only appearing when the file(s) selected are of type .mpg, .avi, whatever, etc. This is how Nautilus-Actions works.

I disagree on that. You can already define for which context-types any of your scripts will be shown (Style -> Context).
If you export a plugin those settings will be saved as well.

Further on I like to have the plugins initially _not_ in my right-click menu, i.e. if I install them via a package manager and dont know how I want them integrated yet.
They are there, but dont interfere with my configuration.

fabertawe wrote:

Also, when I left click an archive, it extracts. Is there a way to have it open with its designated program instead, i.e. 'Open -> Archive Manager' ?

richt click on an archive -> Open -> Archive Default -> Open with App (which is a setting)

Last edited by hasufell (2012-03-20 20:50:02)

#122 2012-03-20 20:43:52

hasufell

tri1976 wrote:
hasufell wrote:

I don't understand that.

You're right....copy and paste individual command works, but it doesn't work if commands are in a submenu.  I reconfigured the Trash plugin to have all functions (trash, restore, and empty) in a submenu (this is available in the latest update.....and thanks for using my plugin by the way).  As per IgnorantGuru suggestion, I did this so user can just download and install one file.  I guess as a work around, one can create a submenu then copy and paste commands into it....it just adds a lot of work.

oh, I didn't realize you are the maintainer

could you upload this plugin somwhere like sourceforge and provide a COPYING file with your preferred license?
It is not possible to create a legal distribution-package from your plugin for automated installation.

and you could clean up the "plugin" file a bit, there are 3 unused/old entries like

cstm_61aa46d1-line=/home/tri/bin/trash.sh --restore %F

and about the problem: either I dont understand you or I am missing the bug. I use

Plugins -> Copy -> *select trash-tarball.tar.gz*

and paste it into any sub-menu. it works

#123 2012-03-21 09:49:06

fabertawe

hasufell wrote:

You can already define for which context-types any of your scripts will be shown (Style -> Context).
If you export a plugin those settings will be saved as well.

Further on I like to have the plugins initially _not_ in my right-click menu, i.e. if I install them via a package manager and dont know how I want them integrated yet.
They are there, but dont interfere with my configuration.

hasufell... you are absolutely correct - *slaps own face* I should actually get familiar with the software before making a fool of myself! Context works exactly as I want.

hasufell wrote:
fabertawe wrote:

richt click on an archive -> Open -> Archive Default -> Open with App (which is a setting)

As above - also, kick me! Many thanks for your help.

#124 2012-03-21 13:11:36

tri1976

hasufell wrote:

could you upload this plugin somwhere like sourceforge and provide a COPYING file with your preferred license?

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have never publicly distribute anything before, so don't know the "common practice" for doing so.  I'll include a copying notice in the scripts and upload them somewhere else (maybe google code).  I'll also try to remove unused entries in the plugin.

hasufell wrote:

Plugins -> Copy -> *select trash-tarball.tar.gz*
and paste it into any sub-menu. it works

I did not know about this method.  After installing the trash plugin, under the plugin menu, I right clicked on the trash submenu, went to edit mode, chose copy....this method did not work.  Your method works.

#125 2012-03-21 13:23:23

hasufell

tri1976 wrote:
hasufell wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have never publicly distribute anything before, so don't know the "common practice" for doing so.  I'll include a copying notice in the scripts and upload them somewhere else (maybe google code).  I'll also try to remove unused entries in the plugin.

well, even if it was just a simple plugin it would prevent packagers from distributions to include it legally.

the proper way is to include a COPYING file in the tarball. Im not sure whether a note in the script is sufficient though, but better than nothing.

I'd personally recommend sourceforge for the tarball and mirroring the scripts on github for quick access.

Board footer