You are not logged in.

#151 2012-03-29 13:25:11

tri1976

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

@IgnorantGuru: If I name the readme file README.trash, will spacefm recognize it?  I just want to add the name of plugin or script in the folder so I can tell what script is in the folder at a glance.  Alternatively, I can create an empty file with the script name.

#152 2012-03-30 01:47:40

IgnorantGuru
Website

tri1976 wrote:

@IgnorantGuru: If I name the readme file README.trash, will spacefm recognize it?

No.  You could include a relative symlink to the readme named that, or as you said an empty file.  You can include any additional files you want - the readme is the one connected to the context-sensitive help (connected to the Help item on the design menu for the command).

Also, 0.7.3 is available and should resolve the copy plugin issue and the lack of error reporting.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-03-30 01:49:03)

#153 2012-03-30 10:02:14

fabertawe

@IgnorantGuru: I've knocked up a couple of plugins and placed the README in the main archive but just discovered it needs to be in the cstm* dir. One of my plugins has many sub cstm dirs so I had to link the same README many times. Is this intentional? Isn't one README enough? I'll upload the plugins once I'm happy they're working correctly.

Many thanks for the new copy/move/link shortcuts/behaviour but I still think it would make more sense for the default behaviour to copy only between drives/partitions and to move on the same drive/partition. The link option's great. Only a minor quibble however, the more I use SpaceFM the more I love it, the configuration options are incredible! Once I've got all the plugin functionality I need it'll be perfect smile

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#154 2012-03-30 13:28:34

IgnorantGuru
Website

fabertawe wrote:

@IgnorantGuru: I've knocked up a couple of plugins and placed the README in the main archive but just discovered it needs to be in the cstm* dir. One of my plugins has many sub cstm dirs so I had to link the same README many times. Is this intentional? Isn't one README enough? I'll upload the plugins once I'm happy they're working correctly.

Each README applies to an individual command (contains the help for that command when the user presses F1), not the entire plugin submenu.  Actually the submenu itself can have a readme too (select Help on the submenu itself - submenus have command directories, but will the user think to ask for help on the submenu?).  Keep in mind that users may copy a command out of the plugin submenu and paste it elsewhere, which may break your links.  They also may uninstall the plugin after copying the command elsewhere, which will almost definitely break your link.  I think it's a better idea to give each command it's readme.  And when the user wants helps on that command, they don't have to read through the entire readme.  It's a little redundant but these are intended to be just small text files.  Plain text to avoid all the security implications of browsers.

Many thanks for the new copy/move/link shortcuts/behaviour but I still think it would make more sense for the default behaviour to copy only between drives/partitions and to move on the same drive/partition.

This probably should be an option, and may be made one at some point.  I have to be careful adding too many options to keep the UI reasonable.  Ideally I would like to redesign the preferences dialog so it can handle lots of little options efficiently, sort of like vlc does.

Thanks for the feedback and for helping track down that copy issue.

#155 2012-03-30 13:37:05

Paramvir
Website

11000ft hmmmmm - hey been looking for a Fm for quite a while - THIS IS IT !!! spacefm - wow - non-Ignorant Guru Ji he he thank you - It has everything I have been looking in a file manager - been using it since yesterday - looks good - Read the article on ur blog re udisks2 sad - now what - back to HAL???

Yes another thing - ability to rename multiple files - that would be fantastic

cheers

Last edited by Paramvir (2012-03-30 13:41:41)

#156 2012-03-30 14:20:13

fabertawe

@IgnorantGuru: Ok, fair enough, that makes sense. Back to making plugins...

@Paramvir: I have a couple of simple renaming plugins which I'm in the process of converting from Nautilus-Actions plugins.

#157 2012-03-30 14:47:31

Paramvir
Website

fabertawe wrote:

@IgnorantGuru: Ok, fair enough, that makes sense. Back to making plugins...

@Paramvir: I have a couple of simple renaming plugins which I'm in the process of converting from Nautilus-Actions plugins.

Thanks - now why did I not read that Wiki wink

#158 2012-03-30 16:40:03

IgnorantGuru
Website

Paramvir wrote:

now what - back to HAL???

Thanks - glad to hear spacefm is working well for you.  No going back to hal.  I'm testing some code that interfaces with the kernel more directly, bypassing udisks entirely, and it has been going well.  A few hurdles yet.  I may eventually distribute a little command-line replacement for udisks that will work with spacefm, devmon, and similar.  If successful, it will easily co-exist with udisks, as well as emulate the critical parts of udisks command line behavior.  (Most users only need about 2% of what's in udisks.)  I would rather spend time working on a lightweight replacement for udisks than waste time accommodating udisks random command line changes, policykit/consolekit issues, etc.  I for one would like to remove udisks as well as consolekit from my system.  They really belong to heavier desktops, and are increasingly engineered to create artificial limitations (welcome to Windows For Linux).  Yuck.

As for udisks, v2 may be supported in spacefm shortly - I need to look at some specifics yet on what they changed in v2 before I can say for sure what will be done. 

Yes another thing - ability to rename multiple files - that would be fantastic

Yeah this will probably be more of a plugin thing, or you could link your favorite rename utility to a custom menu item.  Also, you can check out my sedname script - it's a command line script but could be integrated into a custom command or plugin.

#159 2012-03-30 21:44:14

work

Is there any plan to support officially this package?

Last edited by work (2012-03-30 21:44:26)

#160 2012-03-31 13:35:17

Throne777

I can't get it to install :-(

$ sudo pacman -U ~/downloads/spacefm-0.7.3.tar.xz
Password: 
loading packages...
error: missing package metadata in /home/throne777/downloads/spacefm-0.7.3.tar.xz
error: '/home/throne777/downloads/spacefm-0.7.3.tar.xz': invalid or corrupted package
bash spacefm-0.7.3-installer.sh
spacefm-0.7.3-installer.sh: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
spacefm-0.7.3-installer.sh: line 4: `<!DOCTYPE html>'
makepkg -s
==> Making package: spacefm 0.7.3-1 (Sat Mar 31 14:29:43 BST 2012)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> Retrieving Sources...
  -> Downloading spacefm-0.7.3.tar.xz...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--     0
curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection reset by peer
==> ERROR: Failure while downloading spacefm-0.7.3.tar.xz
    Aborting...

Am I cursed or something? tongue

'All we ever were, just zeroes and ones'

#161 2012-03-31 16:09:34

fabertawe

@Throne777 - download the the source archive manually and place it in the folder with the PKGBUILD and it will work.

I've uploaded a few plugins - "Rename", "ClamAV Scan", "Video Convert to" and "GPG Tools". Feedback welcomed.

#162 2012-03-31 16:14:32

Throne777

fabertawe wrote:

@Throne777 - download the the source archive manually and place it in the folder with the PKGBUILD and it will work.

Sorry, I think I'm being a bit slow.
Which folder and where do I download the source archive from?

#163 2012-03-31 16:20:27

fabertawe

Source archive address (from PKGBUILD) - http://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/ … 7.3.tar.xz

Place it in the folder where the PKGBUILD and spacefm.install files are. The folder where you're running 'makepkg -s'. Or if you prefer, download the spacefm AUR tarball, extract it, place the above source file in the extracted folder and run makepkg from there smile

#164 2012-03-31 20:23:47

Throne777

fabertawe wrote:

Source archive address (from PKGBUILD) - http://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/ … 7.3.tar.xz

Place it in the folder where the PKGBUILD and spacefm.install files are. The folder where you're running 'makepkg -s'. Or if you prefer, download the spacefm AUR tarball, extract it, place the above source file in the extracted folder and run makepkg from there smile

Ah, got ya. All up and running. Quick query, how do you unhide hidden folders?

#165 2012-04-01 16:35:33

fabertawe

@Throne777: 'right-click -> View -> Hidden Files' or 'CTRL + H'.

#166 2012-04-03 19:57:50

fabertawe

I've updated my "Rename" plugin - if anyone's using it I'd strongly recommend an upgrade. As always feedback welcomed!

#167 2012-04-06 13:19:17

IgnorantGuru
Website

Here's some updated info on what's happening with SpaceFM and udisks2, etc.  Feedback is welcome on the 'new tool' plan - now is a good time to put in your 2 cents.

Also, I've added a spacefm-git package to the AUR, which should install the 'next' branch (the upcoming release as a work in progress).  If that requires any revisions, just let me know.  This version should now be working with both udisks1 and 2.

#168 2012-04-06 17:33:21

el mariachi

Thanks! I haaate udisks and *kits. the only way I ever got the thing to work was by disabling everything, which is kinda against it's purpose :S I'm all for UIDs

#169 2012-04-06 23:31:43

tri1976

IgnorantGuru wrote:

Here's some updated info on what's happening with SpaceFM and udisks2, etc.  Feedback is welcome on the 'new tool' plan - now is a good time to put in your 2 cents.

Also, I've added a spacefm-git package to the AUR, which should install the 'next' branch (the upcoming release as a work in progress).  If that requires any revisions, just let me know.  This version should now be working with both udisks1 and 2.

I maybe missing something but I thought udev is so easy to use.  Can you insert a udev rule to tell spacefm when a device has been inserted?  For example, here is mine (/etc/udev/rules.d/60-usbdrive.rules)

KERNEL!="sd[b-z]*", GOTO="usbmount_end"
ACTION=="add", PROGRAM!="/sbin/blkid %N", GOTO="usbmount_end"
ACTION=="add", RUN+="/bin/mediamount.sh udevmount"
ACTION=="remove", RUN+="/bin/mediamount.sh udevumount"
LABEL="usbmount_end"

and part of my mediamount.sh relating to udevmount script

function udevmount {
  [[ $DEVNAME ]] || return
  mntopt0='user,noatime'
  mount | grep -q $DEVNAME && return
  [[ $ID_FS_LABEL ]] && label=$ID_FS_LABEL || label=$ID_VENDOR
  [[ $label ]] || label=${DEVNAME##*/}
  mntpoint="/media/${label//[\\ ]/_}"
  case $ID_FS_TYPE in
    vfat|ntfs*) mntopts="$mntopt0,utf8,gid=100,umask=002" ;;
  esac
  [[ $ID_FS_TYPE = "ntfs" ]] && fs="ntfs-3g" || fs=$ID_FS_TYPE
  n=1
  while [[ -e $mntpoint ]]; do mntpoint="$mntpoint-$((n++))"; done
  mkdir -p $mntpoint
  /bin/mount -t $fs -o $mntopts "$DEVNAME" $mntpoint || rmdir -p ${mntpoint#/media/}
}
function udevumount() {
  mntpoint=`mount | grep -w $DEVNAME | grep -o on.*type | sed 's/^on //' | sed 's/ type$//'`
  if [[ $mntpoint ]]; then umount -l $mntpoint && rmdir $mntpoint; fi
  }
case $i in
  udevmount) udevmount ;;
  udevumount) udevumount ;;
esac

So the line "/bin/mediamount.sh" can be replaced by "/usr/bin/spacefm do_something".  When would this method not work?

#170 2012-04-07 02:00:45

IgnorantGuru
Website

@tri1976
That looks like it would work well for a script.  But the do-something program would then inform spacefm of the event by connecting to its socket.  So spacefm would need to monitor that socket and act on the event.  But if it's going to monitor a socket, it might as well just monitor a udev socket, which is what it does.  So it's more direct that way, doesn't involve altering the system (udev rules) config, and doesn't involve the intermediary do-something program.  The less moving parts, the less to go wrong.

#171 2012-04-07 02:24:10

tri1976

IgnorantGuru wrote:

@tri1976
That looks like it would work well for a script.  But the do-something program would then inform spacefm of the event by connecting to its socket.  So spacefm would need to monitor that socket and act on the event.  But if it's going to monitor a socket, it might as well just monitor a udev socket, which is what it does.  So it's more direct that way, doesn't involve altering the system (udev rules) config, and doesn't involve the intermediary do-something program.  The less moving parts, the less to go wrong.

I was thinking udev would tell spacefm directly when a device is connected (through udev rule) so that spacefm doesn't have to do any monitoring.  I guess you already thought about this option and it doesn't fit with spacefm implementation.  Anyway that's my 2 cents. smile

#172 2012-04-07 02:32:20

IgnorantGuru
Website

Even if the udev rule runs spacefm (or any program), it still needs a socket to talk to the currently running instance of spacefm.  Thanks for the input - you've got the right idea, but with a C program there's a more direct route - libudev.

Actually spacefm is somewhat more direct than even udisks:
udisks -> libgudev -> libudev -> udev
spacefm -> libudev -> udev

#173 2012-04-08 14:40:02

hasufell

I still have the issue with toolbar resize behavior and am not able to re-open the issue: https://github.com/IgnorantGuru/spacefm/issues/6

edit: I pulled master instead of "next"

works now, good job!

Last edited by hasufell (2012-04-08 21:53:12)

#174 2012-04-16 20:49:21

work

"Although SpaceFM has never had a strict udisks dependency, the device manager used udisks for device detection, information, and mounting. As of v0.7.5, SpaceFM can now be used without udisks. SpaceFM now uses udev directly for device detection and information. For mounting devices as a non-root user, udisks v1, udisks v2, or pmount will be automatically detected and used, or you can specify a custom command. There is also a custom mount solution currently under development. These changes do not affect the hal build of SpaceFM."
From http://ignorantguru.github.com/spacefm/news.html

Very interesting. IgnorantGuru, maybe you can tell us here when an update is available

Last edited by work (2012-04-16 20:49:54)

#175 2012-04-17 13:26:13

IgnorantGuru
Website

If you're testing spacefm without udisks installed, you may want to enable kernel polling.

Also 0.7.6 is available.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-04-19 18:13:10)

Board footer