You are not logged in.

#251 2012-11-23 20:22:48

blackout23

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

I just compared TF2 Beta in Windows and Linux. The funny thing is that on Linux I had flawless gameplay with 200-300 FPS, no menu glitches, no texture glitches. Everything smooth as silk. On Windows as I started King of the Hill Offline Practice the Mainmenu background somehow shrank and stayed in the top left corner while the new "loading map background" appeared. In game of course it was just as fast but the menu messed up one time. Linux 1 Windows 0 big_smile

#252 2012-11-24 09:35:55

akspecs

In response to those who are surprised about half decent performance under linux, take a look at an article from a few months back if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13382 … on-windows

Last edited by akspecs (2012-11-24 22:28:14)

#253 2012-11-24 11:43:54

karol
Archivist

akspecs wrote:

In response to those who are surprised about half decent performance under linux, take a look at an article from a few months back if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A … FsftYb&s=1

No idea what article is it, I don't have FB ;P
Unscrambled link: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13382 … on-windows

#254 2012-11-24 19:12:02

guisacouto

Has anyone tried TF2 with xf86-video-ati? I have a HD3650 512MB, and I get really low fps.. an average of ~10fps. Do I need to do some tweaking? If so, what? I already have the game in low specs but it doesn't get better..
My setup is a Q9450 with 4GB and I'm running awesome with two monitors. I have tried windowed mode and fullscreen mode but no luck..

best regards

#255 2012-11-24 22:31:00

akspecs

It's definately recommended that you use the proprietary blobs.  Only sandy bridge and ivy bridge integrated graphics on intel cpu's are reported to be very playable... Which are indeed open source drivers as we all know.

#256 2012-11-25 18:21:17

guisacouto

The problem is that the latest catalyst doesn't support my graphics card anymore, and with the legacy version TF2 didn't launch because some opengl implementation was missing in the driver... so I installed xf86-video-ati to give it a try...

#257 2012-11-27 09:16:41

Pad

Meyithi wrote:

Not happy about the way things are going, signs are there that Steam is going to introduce bad habits.

Nobody is going to bother with 64 bit builds of games, no point releasing outside of Steam resigning us all to multilib if we want to play modern games.
Steam is auto-updating it's client sidestepping package managers, horrible.

I have a bad feeling about this.

What bad habits? Even the Windows version is 32bits only.

In order to have access to the most recent features and games, Steam has to auto-update itself, this doesn't work exactly like any other package in our repositories.

Last edited by Pad (2012-11-27 09:17:56)

#258 2012-11-27 09:47:20

akspecs

guisacouto wrote:

The problem is that the latest catalyst doesn't support my graphics card anymore, and with the legacy version TF2 didn't launch because some opengl implementation was missing in the driver... so I installed xf86-video-ati to give it a try...

So, Valve source engine looks like it won't work with legacy catalyst.  That's a real bummer.

Are you sure you weren't missing some lame dependency??

#259 2012-11-27 21:25:41

guisacouto

akspecs wrote:

So, Valve source engine looks like it won't work with legacy catalyst.  That's a real bummer.

Are you sure you weren't missing some lame dependency??

Pretty much.. what was missing was "gl_ext_texture_srgb_decode". Correct me if I'm wrong, but the legacy drivers do not support this, at least for my HD3650. For what I know this is no dependency problem.

sad

edit: here is a link about this issue http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/di … 147764/#p1

I don't get it.. if AMD drops support on their hardware, why don't they release the code? At least someone could use it for the open drivers and everyone would be happy -.-

Last edited by guisacouto (2012-11-27 21:33:47)

#260 2012-11-27 21:37:38

alphaniner

guisacouto wrote:

I don't get it.. if AMD drops support on their hardware, why don't they release the code? ...everyone would be happy -.-

Everyone except the lawyers...

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#261 2012-11-27 21:42:22

Meyithi
Website

Pad wrote:
Meyithi wrote:

Not happy about the way things are going, signs are there that Steam is going to introduce bad habits.

Nobody is going to bother with 64 bit builds of games, no point releasing outside of Steam resigning us all to multilib if we want to play modern games.
Steam is auto-updating it's client sidestepping package managers, horrible.

I have a bad feeling about this.

What bad habits? Even the Windows version is 32bits only.

In order to have access to the most recent features and games, Steam has to auto-update itself, this doesn't work exactly like any other package in our repositories.

This isn't windows, we can run pure 64 bit systems without having to duplicate libs which have to be maintained and packaged by somebody else, it's just extra work, we should be moving forwards not backwards.  Should we just scrap 64 bit?  I do hear the odd argument that there's still some x86 only machines out there, but they are so old that you won't have much success gaming on them.

All other packages manage without sidestepping the package managers, what's so special about Steam?  Mission critical security updates have to go through the package manager but being able to play a game is more critical? rubbish and arrogant.

Plus you get posts like this where people are hardlinking libs left right and centre, it's bad practice but these bad practices don't seem to matter any more for some reason, just because it's Steam and I wan't to play me some games!

The mind roams more freely in empty rooms.
dwm - colours - ncmpcpp - system
irc://irc.freenode.net:meyithi

#262 2012-11-27 22:04:30

alphaniner

Meyithi wrote:

... rubbish and arrogant.

I don't know what Steam does during an update.  If it needs to modify stuff in root owned directories, this is certainly a problem.

But since the auto-update is central to Steam's operation but ancillary to its function, maybe we can forgive Valve's decision to not completely retool the update process during an initial-release beta...

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#263 2012-11-27 22:54:00

akspecs

Valve definately needs to fix the flash issue on 64 bit systems.

I also don't like nor agree with Valves decision to create a Steam directory in the users /home/user directory, because the same would be done for another user on the same system, thus redownloading all of the files and games another user may have already done.  But what would be a better decision?  Keep the files somewhere in a root owned directory and require root permissions to install every game via steam (or even let alone run?).  My idea is to install steam to /opt/ and have a steam group which allows access to auto updating it and doesn't run into the issue if users not having access to each others games (or the same game being downloaded for each user).

Just an idea, I think it's better than having the files in home.

It would be nice for Valve to push updates to their .deb rather than have an auto updating feature, but this IS central to how steam runs with it's very frequent updates and it's been done fine with no arguments on two other operating systems.

But this is one major flaw those other operating systems have. Individuals who operate Linux by choice usually understand and love the idea of package management.  This is a core difference that major unix based systems and Linux based systems have.  I chose Arch Linux because I want to control everything via the package manager.  But that is the issue here!  We are the 1% if not less - in the LINUX USER category!!  That means if Linux users are not plentiful, Arch Linux users are the hermits that live in the forests.

Yes we do understand the beauty of package management.  How amazing it is to install/uninstall any peace of software just via a command in the terminal.  How amazing it is to update an entire system with one command.  But the rest of the PC community doesn't realize or see this beauty.  Therefore they are left with auto updaters installed for each piece of their software which is heavily against our mentality.  We want to control the system.

But in the end, we need to accept steam's way of operating and although it could've been done better we need to understand that the rest of the world isn't ready for efficient computing.

Last edited by akspecs (2012-11-27 23:05:12)

#264 2012-11-27 23:04:23

blackout23

#265 2012-12-06 21:06:24

anonymous_user

I just got the invitation email. Didn't think I would get in due to specifying Arch Linux as my distro.

#266 2012-12-06 21:23:32

blackout23

They removed Serious Sam 3 from the Beta Phase. You can still play it if you bought it for 9 USD like i did.
I don't understand why they call it a closed beta now. Bascially being in the beta meant having SS3 and TF2 in your "Linux Games".
Now TF2 is playable for everyone even if you login with "steam steam://open/games" and SS3 isn't in the beta anymore.
The only thing you gain from the beta is posting privileges...

Last edited by blackout23 (2012-12-06 21:23:52)

#267 2012-12-06 22:30:54

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mmm, I got added to the beta today, and I'm saddened by the lack of L4D2 more than anything. Still, I have a couple of bug reports to report once I'm sober, assuming I can't find them in the mailing list.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#268 2012-12-06 23:53:14

masteryod

guisacouto wrote:

I don't get it.. if AMD drops support on their hardware, why don't they release the code? At least someone could use it for the open drivers and everyone would be happy -.-

Because proprietary drivers are pandora's boxes. Its code can't be just opened. They include: things that are patented, copyright protected, they use staff that is just licensed to them under crazy conditions, they use their own software/hardware hacks which they want to keep in secret from nVidia/Intel, they use software/hardware hacks that are made especially for particular games which might be not entirely fair and/or are build around code that is supplied by game studios/developers, they use their own fancy algorithms which are based on super fancy super patented algorithms and so on... a lot of conspiracy and black voodoo magic here. Basically every single thing you can think of about GPU, 3D, video, data transfers (and so on) is just minefield.

Last edited by masteryod (2012-12-06 23:54:05)

#269 2012-12-07 02:16:31

guisacouto

I got TF2 running on catalyst legacy! Here is the hack: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/di … 1012409765

I've been playing and it works just fine big_smile

#270 2012-12-07 02:19:27

ZekeSulastin

Meyithi wrote:

Multilib sucks

Steam is neither the first nor the last program to require it (including packages in the repos), but nice hyperbole anyways.

Meyithi wrote:

All other packages manage without sidestepping the package managers

Actually, there is plenty of commercial software that doesn't without workarounds.  It doesn't matter anyways; they've actually changed their process and are setting up a repo for distro packagers.  It's amazing what having people who actually want to cooperate can do for this sort of thing.

Meyithi wrote:

Omg linking .so files!

As many times as we have to tell people here not to symlink random .so files for random reasons, what makes you think Steam's userbase would be special in that regard?

It'll be neat to see their repo get started; apparently they're also cleaning up the scripts they're using (including proper quoting and actually using the bashisms the #!/bin/bash shebang allow).

#271 2012-12-07 04:03:38

1Samildanach

Meyithi wrote:

All other packages manage without sidestepping the package managers, what's so special about Steam?  Mission critical security updates have to go through the package manager but being able to play a game is more critical? rubbish and arrogant.

Perhaps the better argument is that it isn't a mission critical security update, and therefore it is not as important for it to go through the package manager?

Think about the main reasons to use a package manager. There's convenience, which Steam certainly has covered. There's cleanliness, which is perhaps the biggest thing, and isn't a problem as long as Steam's developers aren't stupid -- as long as the only thing they'll break is Steam, it doesn't matter too much if they do; it is only entertainment, after all.

There are certainly more pros to system-level package management, but I don't see much point in trying to work my way through them all.

#272 2012-12-07 09:50:31

akspecs

guisacouto wrote:

I got TF2 running on catalyst legacy! Here is the hack: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/di … 1012409765

I've been playing and it works just fine big_smile

How are you settings and performance?  Just curious.

#273 2012-12-07 14:13:07

Unia
Website

anonymous_user wrote:

I just got the invitation email. Didn't think I would get in due to specifying Arch Linux as my distro.

Same here! Got it late yesterday. I hope I'll be able to download TF2 now, because even when it was said to be available for non-beta it didn't work for me. Curious! big_smile

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#274 2012-12-07 15:00:31

Box0

Unia wrote:
anonymous_user wrote:

Same here! Got it late yesterday. I hope I'll be able to download TF2 now, because even when it was said to be available for non-beta it didn't work for me. Curious! big_smile

Does the email you received look similar to this?

Welcome to the Steamlinuxbeta@list.valvesoftware.com mailing list!
Welcome to the Steam for Linux limited beta!

Information about installing and getting started can be found here:
https://steamcommunity.com/login/home/?goto=app%2F221410%2Fdiscussions%2F1%2F

blabla

I've got it too, but when I launch the steam client it says that it's a closed beta and I'm not authorized...
Any idea what's going on?

#275 2012-12-07 15:14:49

Unia
Website

That's it, yep. I have no idea, I could login just fine.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

Board footer