You are not logged in.

#76 2012-07-17 15:44:59

Mountainjew

Re: Looking forward to having Steam on Linux? Read this.

Maybe you should read your first post in this thread. You come across as an elitist FSF type. Then you bitch about Valve only caring about money and customers. Then proceed to say how much steam activation (i dunno what you mean here) sucks and forces you to pirate games. You 'tested' Skyrim for 'many weeks'. Yeah. If you don't see the hypocrisy, then i can't possibly take you seriously.

See where i'm going?

You're abusing a philosophy in order to get what you want without having to pay.

And the funny thing is, you already have a steam account. Yet you say, you refuse to buy Skyrim because it's easier to pirate because of some activation? What activation? You already have a steam account. Nothing else required. I'd say that is willful ignorance.

Oh and i'm very calm, i'm just pointing out your hypocrisy and abuse of Stallman's philosophy. Sorry if you don't like that.

#77 2012-07-17 16:45:49

ewaller
Administrator

Moderator comment.  This thread is drifting towards oblivion.  If it is to stay open, or out of Topics Going Nowhere, it is going to move away from copyright debate.

Ypnose wrote:

I just played Skyrim for a test, I didn't play the entire game (I just started the story), so stop complaining about piracy or something...

You are correct, it is not an armed attack on shipping, it is a violation of copyright.

Moral company? What do you mean?
Ho yeah, they sell games with interesting prices, and they include thousands of DRM / protections to avoid second-hand sales for example.
This is not my definition of moral.

That is not amoral.  If you don't like it, don't use their products.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … e#Legality
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … cs.2FRants
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ng_Systems Not directly applicable, but it should apply to businesses as well
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … _Not_Flame
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … o_Trolling

Last edited by ewaller (2012-07-17 16:46:13)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#78 2012-07-18 19:44:42

masteryod

Guys... you're missing the point, DRM is not the topic here. It doesn't matter if you're hardcore gamer or terminal-only geek, it doesn't matter if you use steam or not - this can be major turning point in desktop Linux ecosystem and if so it will affect everyone. There was already some fixing in kernel because of this. Do you all think that graphic stack, drivers, xorg, mutlimedia.... and manufacturers support is so great right now so we don't need any attention?

#79 2012-07-18 21:00:34

Zancarius

masteryod wrote:

Guys... you're missing the point, DRM is not the topic here. It doesn't matter if you're hardcore gamer or terminal-only geek, it doesn't matter if you use steam or not - this can be major turning point in desktop Linux ecosystem and if so it will affect everyone. There was already some fixing in kernel because of this. Do you all think that graphic stack, drivers, xorg, mutlimedia.... and manufacturers support is so great right now so we don't need any attention?

I tend to agree.

The reason I like Steam is for convenience. I don't have as much time as I used to years ago, so it's nice to have a single place for the games I play--something that handles installation and setup--but the extra features are also fairly nice (like the screenshot tool). Though, some of those features are probably a moot point outside the Windows ecosystem since Windows lacks many of the utilities we're fortunate enough to have.

Personally, I don't care if Valve is motivated by profit. They're a company, after all, and devs have to eat. Even if the only reason they're working on a Linux port is because they see an untapped market ignored by the majority of other companies, this is fundamentally a Good Thing for us. But, I'm not a F/OSS purist. I consider myself pragmatic, and if a company is willing to support a platform I use, then I'm more than willing to throw them a bone.

masteryod's points are interesting, because if Valve succeeds, it's a move that will cause at least some manufacturers to realize that we are an untapped market. There's profit to be made here. The market size may not be large, but niche markets can be lucrative. Plus, if the Humble Bundle stats translate in any form to sales outside donations, we are a market that is somewhat more generous than our peers (although this point is debatable). Either way, it can't be anything but a positive move--even if it just gets us some acknowledgement from hardware vendors and the likes.

I think it's exciting.

He who has no .plan has small finger.
~Confucius on UNIX.

#80 2012-07-24 11:44:53

MisterAnderson

Yay for more linux support from big companies! I've been seeing printers and routers and components and the like with tux on the side "supported systems: crap crap crap LINUX" and it feels great!

Boo for skyrim making me make a steam account! I don't use steam for anything else, annoys me I had to install the client and keep it installed just for one game!

Yay because steam is actually a good thing, I just choose not to use it!

Yay for Humble Bundle mention!

I will install Steam. For no other reason than to be impressed it exists on Linux, and to give it some love for hopefully cause game makers to give us some lovin'. Let's hope it comes true.

D:

#81 2012-07-25 05:35:11

blackout23

Hoping that runic games will finally release a torchlight 2 client for linux trough steam...

#82 2012-07-25 07:51:52

kalle97

I've heard rumors that they'll contribute to the mesa 3D driver, is this correct?

#83 2012-07-25 08:08:42

Thom
Website

Great news!!!

I can't wait to play some L4D2, TF2, portal on Arch.

I pray for a port of dystopia too.

#84 2012-07-25 08:09:50

Awebb

kalle97: It seems to be true. A google search for "intel valve steam driver" will give you lots of sites saying so.

#85 2012-07-25 16:13:13

blackout23

http://www.l4d.com/coldstream/ Scroll to the bottom.

Last edited by blackout23 (2012-07-25 16:17:28)

#86 2012-07-25 20:14:26

Rainbow

¡Excellent! I like Tux logo big_smile .

Good news for Linux gamers.

if you can imagine it, ¡you can create it!

#87 2012-07-25 21:54:30

kalle97

Awebb wrote:

kalle97: It seems to be true. A google search for "intel valve steam driver" will give you lots of sites saying so.

Nice, hope I can run games on the Free Software drivers in the future. Finally more gaming is coming to the Free platform, I'll hope they respect our freedom and choose the right license for their code, ofc not for the whole games but the user should be able to study, redistribute and modify the source of the engine at least for non-commercial use. smile

#88 2012-07-25 22:02:42

Gusar

kalle97 wrote:

I'll hope they respect our freedom and choose the right license for their code, ofc not for the whole games but the user should be able to study, redistribute and modify the source of the engine at least for non-commercial use. smile

Don't count on it.

#89 2012-07-26 03:53:42

Zancarius

kalle97 wrote:

I'll hope they respect our freedom and choose the right license for their code, ofc not for the whole games but the user should be able to study, redistribute and modify the source of the engine at least for non-commercial use. :)

I'm with Gusar. The majority of them very likely won't, but that doesn't really bother me much. I'd be content with the option of having even a small fraction of the game selection under Linux that I do under Windows.

I saw this interesting piece today. It's more of a jab at Windows, but it seems Mr. Newell is certainly interested in continuing his push toward Linux...

He who has no .plan has small finger.
~Confucius on UNIX.

#90 2012-07-26 07:53:36

kalle97

Well I guess that will be the case..

I just hope I don't have to give up my freedom when I wanna play one of their games.. just hoping..

#91 2012-07-26 07:59:55

blackout23

I guess Linux Users have to say "Thank you Microsoft!".

#92 2012-07-26 11:02:05

kalle97

What is Microsoft?

#93 2012-07-26 12:22:53

Awebb

kalle97 wrote:

I just hope I don't have to give up my freedom when I wanna play one of their games.. just hoping..

What is this freedom you are talking about? Are you not a citicen of an industrialized country?

#94 2012-07-26 12:31:47

kalle97

* The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
  * The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
  * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
  * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

#95 2012-07-26 12:42:59

jakobcreutzfeldt

kalle97 wrote:

* The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
  * The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

What difference would it make if you had those freedoms with Steam, when you won't get  them with any of the games downloaded from it?

#96 2012-07-26 12:46:37

derhamster

I'm all in for Steam on Linux. Even if it is just a big binary blob (which it will be, if you ask me).
This has the potential to bring so much attention to Linux, that other companies have to follow Valve in the long run. Maybe even companies like AMD and Nvidia will get enough pressure to better support Linux.
I don't see any downside to that.

blackout23 wrote:

I guess Linux Users have to say "Thank you Microsoft!".

Why is that?

#97 2012-07-26 12:52:18

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I assume because Microsoft's next OS has made Mr. Newell consider Linux as a viable platform for Steam.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#98 2012-07-26 13:08:01

kalle97

jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:

What difference would it make if you had those freedoms with Steam, when you won't get  them with any of the games downloaded from it?

I meant they would do that to their games too ofc, I'm only interested in L4D2 and TF2, I already got games who respect my freedom so I don't really need this anyway. tongue

#99 2012-07-26 13:25:49

karol
Archivist

WorMzy wrote:

I assume because Microsoft's next OS has made Mr. Newell consider Linux as a viable platform for Steam.

Link to the story.

#100 2012-07-26 14:13:19

ibrunton

kalle97 wrote:

Why would Valve give Linux users these freedoms when they don't give them to Windows and Mac users?

Freedom 2 is kind of pointless anyway, because the Steam client is already free for anybody to download; there's no need for me to give it to my friends when they can download it much more easily for themselves.

Board footer