You are not logged in.

#26 2012-04-11 23:58:39

pogeymanz

Re: Compiz 0.9(-dev/-bzr) development/testing/general talk thread

So, I was just playing with the latest -dev version and some of the configurations don't stick.

It seems that anything in CCSM where I have to type text into the setting doesn't get saved. In particular, I can't set the window decorator or any commands in the Commands plugin because it never remembers what I type. All other settings stick. Anybody else have this?

#27 2012-04-12 00:11:01

hobarrera
Website

pogeymanz wrote:

So, I was just playing with the latest -dev version and some of the configurations don't stick.

It seems that anything in CCSM where I have to type text into the setting doesn't get saved. In particular, I can't set the window decorator or any commands in the Commands plugin because it never remembers what I type. All other settings stick. Anybody else have this?

Yes; and I've already reported this upstream.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-core/+bug/973978
A "this affects me too" might help,  so as to tell the dev "it's not just one person".

You can edit the config file manually (in many cases, compiz 0.8's config file helps as a reference).
I had used compiz 0.9.4, and still had my old config file, so I kinda wasn't very affected by this. Seems pretty serious.

#28 2012-04-12 00:23:36

pogeymanz

hobarrera wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

Yes; and I've already reported this upstream.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-core/+bug/973978
A "this affects me too" might help,  so as to tell the dev "it's not just one person".

You can edit the config file manually (in many cases, compiz 0.8's config file helps as a reference).
I had used compiz 0.9.4, and still had my old config file, so I kinda wasn't very affected by this. Seems pretty serious.

Great. Thank you. I'll edit it by hand then.

And I'll chime in on the bug report.

#29 2012-04-12 01:31:48

triplesquarednine

pogeymanz wrote:

I am NOT affected by this bug.

I read your post and switched over to the flat-file backend. It saves my settings properly. I can add commands + hotkeys and they work, even after reboot.

Something funny is going on here, or it just isn't broken in my latest build (as of 2 hours ago, compiz 0.9.7.7)

I had other issues with flat-file, like my whole desktop being somewhat broken, because things weren't setup properly. But after five minutes of adjusting settings, it works fine. I've switched back and fourth several times, now. No big issues. (but AFAIK, i do actually use Gconf - being as i use Gnome 3)

Try starting a new profile, in compiz' preferences... maybe starting fresh might help.

cheerz

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2012-04-12 01:32:57)

#30 2012-04-12 02:35:10

hobarrera
Website

triplesquarednine wrote:
pogeymanz wrote:

I am NOT affected by this bug.

I read your post and switched over to the flat-file backend. It saves my settings properly. I can add commands + hotkeys and they work, even after reboot.

Something funny is going on here, or it just isn't broken in my latest build (as of 2 hours ago, compiz 0.9.7.7)

I had other issues with flat-file, like my whole desktop being somewhat broken, because things weren't setup properly. But after five minutes of adjusting settings, it works fine. I've switched back and fourth several times, now. No big issues. (but AFAIK, i do actually use Gconf - being as i use Gnome 3)

Try starting a new profile, in compiz' preferences... maybe starting fresh might help.

cheerz

In particular, did "wallpaper" work? How about changing animation times?
You haven't pushed your latest build (0.9.7.7) to the AUR yet. wink

I just tried a new profile, and have the exact same issues as I had before.
A very clear example, is Expo>Behaviour>Expo Animation.
It's initially zoom.  You can set it to any of the two other options, but if you select "zoom" again, it will never save that setting (you can check against the ini file).

Could the mere fact that you have another backend <i>installed</i> be making a difference?

#31 2012-04-12 02:43:31

pogeymanz

I can't set a wallpaper either...

#32 2012-04-12 04:01:52

triplesquarednine

hobarrera wrote:

In particular, did "wallpaper" work? How about changing animation times?
You haven't pushed your latest build (0.9.7.7) to the AUR yet. wink

Wallpaper is somewhat broken for me (glitches when i use easystroke or gnome-pie), and i like using nautilus ~ so that i can work with the file-system & mounts on my desktop. There is definitely issues with wallpaper, right now. (file a report, but 1st search for 'wallpaper' related bugs).  As far as pushing a build to AUR - I don't maintain those packages --> Archer 'Rufflove' does...  But this bring up an interesting thought....

why aren't the -dev packages grabbing directly from the master branch using bzr? (Rufflove?) they are -dev packages after all, not 'stable releases'. 0.9.6 isn't anymore stable than bzr master branch, in fact it's probably less stable... For bug reporting it is better to be up-to-date, as your bug reports won't be duplicates, and probably will get more attention. For example;

https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-core/+bug/979252

I filed this bug report this afternoon, it's already been assigned to Sam.

It would seem to me that building from master might be better, especially for those interested in helping file and/or squash bugs... Right now master is at 0.9.7.7 and 0.9.8 will happen shortly. 0.9.8 will be a milestone - this first bug will probably be fixed in there, and so will the GCC-4.7 compile failure due to linking, that currently has been added by rufflove to compiz-dev AUR packages (link to my report, scroll down to bottom);

https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-core/+bug/972519

Instead of using AUR ~ I manage compiz using quick and dirty build-scripts, that are slightly more manual, than the old-compiz (scott soreau) git scripts (that build 0.8.8 and/or 0.9x), of course those scripts are now effectively dead. I don't like getting random updates to Compiz, through system updates. I prefer to deal with it myself ~ 2 dirty scripts and a little manual intervention wink

hobarrera wrote:

I just tried a new profile, and have the exact same issues as I had before.
A very clear example, is Expo>Behaviour>Expo Animation.
It's initially zoom.  You can set it to any of the two other options, but if you select "zoom" again, it will never save that setting (you can check against the ini file).

Could the mere fact that you have another backend <i>installed</i> be making a difference?

This i don't know. To be honest i am not even sure off-hand where that (backend) file is even stored. I don't have time tonight but tomorrow, i'll have a stab at this stuff and dig into it. See if i can make heads or tails of what might be going on with the ini stuff. If and when i confirm, i'll add myself to the bug report.

cheerz

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2012-04-12 04:05:13)

#33 2012-04-12 13:59:54

rufflove

triplesquarednine wrote:

why aren't the -dev packages grabbing directly from the master branch using bzr? (Rufflove?) they are -dev packages after all, not 'stable releases'. 0.9.6 isn't anymore stable than bzr master branch, in fact it's probably less stable... For bug reporting it is better to be up-to-date, as your bug reports won't be duplicates, and probably will get more attention.

Before Compiz switched to Launchpad, I maintained -dev for the releases, whilst Xiao-Long Chen maintained the -git packages. The mess that was 0.9.6 was the reason I didn't update the -dev packages between 0.9.5 and 0.9.7. The -dev packages in theory provide a more reliable fallback, following the development release schedule, whilst also being distinct from the actual stable releases, as provided by Arch. I'm not interested in running the bleeding edge, myself - I ran 0.9.4 and then 0.9.5 as the primary window manager on my laptop - but yeah, I agree that with the slew of fixes continually being applied to 0.9.7, one may as well just pull straight from master. Then again, the team are pushing out multiple official releases per month atm...

Dropping the -git packages from the from the aur and replacing them with -bzr would be the better approach, methinks. I could add some when I get some time in the next couple of days.

-------

Regarding ccsm issues, the thing with changes not being saved goes back to 0.9.6, iirc. When in doubt, start working with a fresh configuration after an update. I've had both ini and gconf backends cause problems in the past. The official 0.9.5.92 gconf backend won't even build atm...

"Its too big and too slow"

#34 2012-04-12 16:00:45

triplesquarednine

rufflove wrote:

Before Compiz switched to Launchpad, I maintained -dev for the releases, whilst Xiao-Long Chen maintained the -git packages. The mess that was 0.9.6 was the reason I didn't update the -dev packages between 0.9.5 and 0.9.7. The -dev packages in theory provide a more reliable fallback, following the development release schedule, whilst also being distinct from the actual stable releases, as provided by Arch. I'm not interested in running the bleeding edge, myself - I ran 0.9.4 and then 0.9.5 as the primary window manager on my laptop - but yeah, I agree that with the slew of fixes continually being applied to 0.9.7, one may as well just pull straight from master. Then again, the team are pushing out multiple official releases per month atm...

I see, that makes sense (about packaging). Yeah, i also used 0.9.4-5 primarily for a long while, then made the transition to bzr just before they stopped using GIT, because i had noticed many fixes weren't making it over to git (quick enough, or not at all). well, as far as bleeding edge - it's pretty rare that compiz totally breaks from master (although it did happen a couple of times with GIT). But as a fail safe, what i like to do ~ Keep a separate 'working' version of compiz in /opt, that gets updated manually, every once in a while. Then i keep my primary compiz install in /usr ... Then it is just a matter of switching to /opt if something breaks badly.

rufflove wrote:

Dropping the -git packages from the from the aur and replacing them with -bzr would be the better approach, methinks. I could add some when I get some time in the next couple of days.

I totally agree. Replacing the GIT packages would be smart. I myself would maintain them, but i don't always have the time to maintain packages, so it would be bad idea for me to take that on, unfortunately.

rufflove wrote:

Regarding ccsm issues, the thing with changes not being saved goes back to 0.9.6, iirc. When in doubt, start working with a fresh configuration after an update. I've had both ini and gconf backends cause problems in the past. The official 0.9.5.92 gconf backend won't even build atm...

That's sort of what i suggested (at least starting with new backend config). I've also had issues at one point or another with both backends (hell, i just started a new one a few days ago that fixed the animation issues i was having).

cheerz

oh and FYI - soon you'll be able to remove that flag you had to had to your -dev packages, it's been fixed in master smile

#35 2012-04-12 17:12:02

rufflove

triplesquarenine wrote:

oh and FYI - soon you'll be able to remove that flag you had to had to your -dev packages, it's been fixed in master

Aye, I actually bothered to signed up for notifications for that bug as it affects the PKGBUILD... lol I also added a comment as requested...

I quickly made a PKGBUILD for compiz-core-bzr this afternoon, but gtk-window-decorator is causing problems:

Linking C executable gtk-window-decorator
CMakeFiles/gtk-window-decorator.dir/frames.c.o: In function `decor_frame_refresh':
/home/nat/compiz-core-bzr/src/compiz-core-build/gtk/window-decorator/frames.c:47: undefined reference to `set_frame_scale'
CMakeFiles/gtk-window-decorator.dir/wnck.c.o: In function `decorations_changed':
/home/nat/compiz-core-bzr/src/compiz-core-build/gtk/window-decorator/wnck.c:174: undefined reference to `set_frames_scales'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

When USE_GCONF is turned on, it builds OK.

@Fritz I'm guessing you either had didn't have gconf installed, or disabled it in the -dev pkgbuild when you were having problems.

Last edited by rufflove (2012-04-12 17:17:45)

#36 2012-04-12 17:43:42

triplesquarednine

rufflove wrote:

Aye, I actually bothered to signed up for notifications for that bug as it affects the PKGBUILD... lol I also added a comment as requested...

lol. nice. I just removed that flag from my build script. smile

rufflove wrote:

I quickly made a PKGBUILD for compiz-core-bzr this afternoon, but gtk-window-decorator is causing problems:

Linking C executable gtk-window-decorator
CMakeFiles/gtk-window-decorator.dir/frames.c.o: In function `decor_frame_refresh':
/home/nat/compiz-core-bzr/src/compiz-core-build/gtk/window-decorator/frames.c:47: undefined reference to `set_frame_scale'
CMakeFiles/gtk-window-decorator.dir/wnck.c.o: In function `decorations_changed':
/home/nat/compiz-core-bzr/src/compiz-core-build/gtk/window-decorator/wnck.c:174: undefined reference to `set_frames_scales'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

When USE_GCONF is turned on, it builds OK.

hmmm... not sure what that's all about. It might be worth reporting, if it is persistent. Since you are a packager, I'm sure you could get a response (if they know you maintain compiz for Arch). I haven't bumped into that. is it possible that you just pulled from git when a changes were going on (as that can happen). Once, compiz wouldn't build, so i tried 20minutes later and it worked....anyways, if it is persistent - I'll hop onto your bug report (if you file one).

cheerz

#37 2012-04-12 17:52:33

triplesquarednine

the flat-file backend is screwed up.

I've added myself to the bug report. I've also added Archlinux as 'other distributions affected'. In the future guys, when filing bug reports - add Archlinux, and if you know it affects other distributions, you could add them too. The -devs will see that it affects non-ubuntu users, and will make the report more concise and stand out more.

cheerz

#38 2012-04-12 19:30:30

hobarrera
Website

Actually, "wallpaper" works flawlessly for me.  I meant configuring wallpaper from CCSM didn't work: I need to manually edit the config file. Other than that, wallpaper doesn't have any issues in my case.

If someone uploads a -bzr package, we can request the -git packages be merged into these one (ie: get them deleted and merge the votes).

I too think it's a good idea to keep -dev and -bzr around, just in case -bzr breaks.

#39 2012-04-13 04:54:45

rufflove

triplesquarednine wrote:

hmmm... not sure what that's all about. It might be worth reporting, if it is persistent. Since you are a packager, I'm sure you could get a response (if they know you maintain compiz for Arch). I haven't bumped into that. is it possible that you just pulled from git when a changes were going on (as that can happen). Once, compiz wouldn't build, so i tried 20minutes later and it worked....anyways, if it is persistent - I'll hop onto your bug report (if you file one).

I've seen it before a while back, I just forgot about it in the meantime, so yeah, this time I will file a bug report before I forget. wink

-bzr packages are now available. I've included a few checks for build dependency issues. All optional components are enabled by default, including gsettings schema files. For those of you who have been using the -dev packages, its worth noting that the gconf backend in master builds ok, so use it instead of the ini backend for now at least. I tried the gsettings backend, but was rudely kicked out to the display manager for my efforts! :lol  ... Your mileage may vary, needless to say. The kconfig backend is not under active development atm, so I have not provided a package. I've not tested these or the -dev packages with KDE since 0.9.5, so reports are welcome.

A fully configurable install location that will work alongside other compiz installations is on the TODO list.

#40 2012-04-13 09:03:02

hobarrera
Website

rufflove wrote:

-bzr packages are now available. I've included a few checks for build dependency issues. All optional components are enabled by default, including gsettings schema files. For those of you who have been using the -dev packages, its worth noting that the gconf backend in master builds ok, so use it instead of the ini backend for now at least. I tried the gsettings backend, but was rudely kicked out to the display manager for my efforts! :lol  ... Your mileage may vary, needless to say. The kconfig backend is not under active development atm, so I have not provided a package. I've not tested these or the -dev packages with KDE since 0.9.5, so reports are welcome.

I've requested the -git packages be merged into the new -bzr packages.  Both for the votes, and to get rid of the old ones. smile

I'll give these a try when I have plenty of time to fiddle around with this. smile

#41 2012-04-13 23:57:05

rufflove

I've updated the packages to follow the GNOME packaging guidelines more closely where appropriate/possible. Schema installation is now dealt with, rather than avoided as it is in the -dev and -git packages. The GConf schemas could not be parsed from a file produced by gconf-merge-schema, necessitating another workaround... Its not hard to see why people are reluctant to maintain Compiz packages... roll

Anyhow, if you've already used the previous -bzr packages with gconf enabled, the existing schema files in /usr/share/gconf/schemas can be removed before upgrading, if you like to keep things tidy. wink

The GSettings backend does work, but it seems Sam hasn't kept it up to speed; some of the keys are outdated, resulting in flakiness.

Oh, the flatfile backend is fine here. I was having problems with 0.9.5.92 not writing changes to the file, but the problem disappeared with libcompizconfig and ccsm from master.

Last edited by rufflove (2012-04-14 00:00:10)

#42 2012-04-14 10:52:03

triplesquarednine

rufflove wrote:

I've updated the packages to follow the GNOME packaging guidelines more closely where appropriate/possible. Schema installation is now dealt with, rather than avoided as it is in the -dev and -git packages. The GConf schemas could not be parsed from a file produced by gconf-merge-schema, necessitating another workaround... Its not hard to see why people are reluctant to maintain Compiz packages... roll

Anyhow, if you've already used the previous -bzr packages with gconf enabled, the existing schema files in /usr/share/gconf/schemas can be removed before upgrading, if you like to keep things tidy. wink

The GSettings backend does work, but it seems Sam hasn't kept it up to speed; some of the keys are outdated, resulting in flakiness.

Oh, the flatfile backend is fine here. I was having problems with 0.9.5.92 not writing changes to the file, but the problem disappeared with libcompizconfig and ccsm from master.

After reading your post, i also went and test the ini backend, again. It works for me too wink

the gsettings backend also works for me, and i didn't get rudely kicked out to GDM. but I stull use the gconf backend, over the others.

cheerz

#43 2012-04-19 10:11:21

beta990

After reading this topic and other forums, I don't know what status compiz has at the moment:
What I understand so far:
- Compiz 0.9.x works best with Ubuntu, because it doesn't include (any) patches for other distro's.
So it is not recommended as standalone. Is the compiz 0.8.x still up-to-date? With other words, does it run well on new hardware? Or can the new compiz 0.9 still run fine?
- Emerald is/was the best window-decoration available. Is it still included in the 0.9 branch? Will it be included in 1.0 branch? Or is it the end for Emerald?
- I know it is a matter of taste, but does anyone use emerald+compiz today? Compare to the new mutter and gnome-shell stuff, is compiz 'getting old'?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm thinking to switch back to XFCE and use compiz+emerald to get a more beautiful desktop-environment.

I know it is a little bit off-topic, but most of the questions are related to the topic title. wink

#44 2012-04-19 15:48:19

rufflove

beta990 wrote:

After reading this topic and other forums, I don't know what status compiz has at the moment:
What I understand so far:
- Compiz 0.9.x works best with Ubuntu, because it doesn't include (any) patches for other distro's.

Its just not being tested outside of Ubuntu atm, what with it being dropped from other distros during the rocky transition to Canonical patronage. Whilst it may run increasingly reliablly in Ubuntu Precise under the default configuration, I suspect mileage with 0.9.x and a custom configuration still varies on Ubuntu, pretty much as it does on Arch.

beta990 wrote:

So it is not recommended as standalone. Is the compiz 0.8.x still up-to-date? With other words, does it run well on new hardware? Or can the new compiz 0.9 still run fine?

I've not run 0.8 in ages myself, so I can't really comment. But even back last year, I noticed Compiz 0.9 was faster than 0.8 with my GMA 945.

- Emerald is/was the best window-decoration available. Is it still included in the 0.9 branch? Will it be included in 1.0 branch? Or is it the end for Emerald?

The Emerald project has been dead for years. It was patched for earlier versions of 0.9, but is definitely history now. Whether it was the best is also a matter of taste; I'm not interested in the fancy reflections and transparency effects, so I've always just used gtk-window-decorator with 0.9.x. Having support for the pretty much de facto Metacity theme format is good too.

Compare to the new mutter and gnome-shell stuff, is compiz 'getting old'?

The idle rumours about Compiz dying were just that; the project is certainly under active development. If you look at the major recent changes to Cinnamon Desktop, they're really just simpler versions of features that have been available in Compiz for years... Compiz isn't old, it is still growing up, hence the fixes and refinements in recent months.

I'm thinking to switch back to XFCE and use compiz+emerald to get a more beautiful desktop-environment.

I find a partial GNOME 3 install and Compiz to be no more demanding of system resources than XFCE 4 and Compiz, so its an option also worth considering. The dependency tree is tidier in GNOME 3 than it was in GNOME 2. Why not try Compiz 0.9.7.7 from the master branch first?

Last edited by rufflove (2012-04-19 15:52:26)

#45 2012-04-19 22:08:30

hobarrera
Website

beta990 wrote:

Compiz 0.8.x is up to date in the arch repos, yes.
The fixes I've noticed are generally related to plugin functionalities (enhancements in most cases really), not so much hardware support.

beta990 wrote:

- I know it is a matter of taste, but does anyone use emerald+compiz today? Compare to the new mutter and gnome-shell stuff, is compiz 'getting old'?

It's dead, mostly.  For some time, some patches were available for 0.9.2 and 0.9.4 IIRC, but the project is dead, and the compiz devs said so.  Of course, they did say they were going to write a brand new window decorator, but that never happened, and I don't expect them to write on now either.

Indeed, it was the best WD.  I currently use gtk-window-decorator, but configure "decorated windows : !any", and "shadows: any"; so my windows have no borders (vs the really thin borders they had before), and just a simple shadow - but that's just my liking.

beta990 wrote:

Sorry for all the questions. I'm thinking to switch back to XFCE and use compiz+emerald to get a more beautiful desktop-environment.

I know it is a little bit off-topic, but most of the questions are related to the topic title. wink

I tested mutter very little, and found it horrible and unflexible.  I don't see compiz lagging behind at all, and it's still the best choice if you want a  standalone WM.

#46 2012-04-20 12:22:28

beta990

Thanks for the answers and good info. smile

I think I will stick with Gnome-shell, or maybe switch to Cinnamon. (I haven't got the time to checkout)

I will give compiz a try in a wm, hope to get the 'old feeling' of compiz/gnome2 again. wink

Thanks and a good weekend.

#47 2012-04-20 12:47:09

triplesquarednine

Hey guys,

I was thinking, this thread has become more about compiz development, than replacing 0.8 with 0.9+. Maybe the OP could change the thread title to something like 'compiz-bzr' or 'compiz development thread'.

We seem to be discussing things more along those lines, such as the current status, discussing bugs/sharing bug reports, experiences with compiz under arch... etc. I had thought about starting a new thread, but to me, it almost makes more sense to rename this one, and we could just continue this thread, instead. Any thoughts on this idea??

Also, in case you guys haven't noticed master is now set at 0.9.8 ~ i believe we should see some slightly more invasive changes in this branch (or that's what the blueprint on LP indicates). I've had 4 or 5 (of my) bug reports (with fixes) included in this branch, and will probably have some more to report, shortly. (as i am compiling the latest code, right now). Hopefully, a few of the well-known bugs (such as the expo bug) will be fixed in this branch, as well.

Concerning bug reporting; As of late, i have been noticing that since i've been active in bug reporting ~ i'm starting to gain a little momentum on lp: ... My bug reports seem to be getting a little more attention, since they have been useful / accurate. I mention this, as when i first started reporting i felt like my bugs were being ignored and it was a bit discouraging, at first. But this seems to have changed now, probably through my own persistence. So if you have had a similar experience (of bug reports seemingly being ignored) - just keep at it ... but also keep in mind the worse / more critical the bug, the faster it will be dealt with.

cheerz

#48 2012-04-26 09:04:27

beta990

@triplesquarednine: Sounds like a good idea. big_smile

Hope the 0.9.x branch will be stable as standalone soon. smile

#49 2012-04-26 17:42:13

hobarrera
Website

I've changed the thread title as suggested, and added a note on the first post just in case.

On the matter of bug reporting; has anyone else encountered issue 973989?  Does the application switched (or static application switcher) work properly for anyone?

#50 2012-04-26 18:25:34

triplesquarednine

hobarrera wrote:

I've changed the thread title as suggested, and added a note on the first post just in case.

On the matter of bug reporting; has anyone else encountered issue 973989?  Does the application switched (or static application switcher) work properly for anyone?

I don't know if it is the exact same issue (similar for sure), but all of the windows preview fine (including transparent windows) - but the previewer itself appears as a white-box. I did not experience any sort of freeze though (even after several repeated attempts). The GFX just seem corrupted (but not the app window previews).

I need to find some new screen-capture software (as gnome 3.4 implementation sucks). but once i do that - i will do a few captures and add myself to your report, for sure.

cheerz

Board footer