You are not logged in.

#26 2012-04-27 17:51:09

ANOKNUSA

Re: Arch in Lifehacker High Five

nomilieu wrote:

The problem with vague recommendations is that they are made to people who really don't know what kind of software they will eventually want to use.
If you're going to install Arch, then spend hours and hours making it work (except package management) like <popular distro>, then what's the point?

That's kinda my whole point, for folks who responded to my earlier post.  People are attracted to Arch either because a) someone told them it was cool; or b) because they're already predisposed to the "Arch Way" of doing things.  I know that's an oversimplification, but really, how many people read about Arch on some blog or another, try it, and then clog up the Newbie forum with inane "problems" for which there are already answers?  Hell, if you need another party to tell you what you'll like, there's a good chance you won't like Arch.  Awebb's point is great and well-taken, but still: most of the time, you're not likely to get a good response from people who don't even know what they want to do before they try to do it.  I got lucky when I first started on Linux and found the article linked in my signature, which set me straight right away.  But then again, I only found that article because I was doing my own research to begin with, instead of reading a blog post and then spending an entire weekend in a forum asking to have a spoon stuck in my mouth.

Yurulungu wrote:

it doesn't lean on the "hardcore card" much.

Perhaps not, but the article they link to kinda does, and that article in turn recommends yet another unnecessary, third-party, defeats-the-whole-damn-purpose-of-Arch-while-contradicting-their-own-advice-about-learning-what's-going-on-behind-the-scenes-with-their-damn-hand-holding guide.  And I think with that I've hit my limit on Arch forums rants for 2012; sorry, everyone. tongue

#27 2012-04-27 21:15:48

Yurlungur

ANOKNUSA wrote:

I got lucky when I first started on Linux and found the article linked in my signature, which set me straight right away.  But then again, I only found that article because I was doing my own research to begin with, instead of reading a blog post and then spending an entire weekend in a forum asking to have a spoon stuck in my mouth.

Reading up on other people's opinions is also part of doing the research/your homework, but of course if you only read an opinion and then don't do any other research, then that's a problem. So point taken. tongue

Yurulungu wrote:

it doesn't lean on the "hardcore card" much.

Perhaps not, but the article they link to kinda does, and that article in turn recommends yet another unnecessary, third-party, defeats-the-whole-damn-purpose-of-Arch-while-contradicting-their-own-advice-about-learning-what's-going-on-behind-the-scenes-with-their-damn-hand-holding guide.

Ah yeah. Didn't follow the links all the way through. Whoopsie.

Lenovo Thinkpad T420; Intel sandy bridge i7 2.7GHz; integrated graphics card; 4GB RAM; wifi; Arch; Xmonad WM

#28 2012-04-28 01:55:26

ANOKNUSA

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to be a jerk or anything--I'm just a crank, doing my part to keep the internet unpleasant, I guess. roll

#29 2012-04-28 06:35:07

Yurlungur

ANOKNUSA wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to be a jerk or anything--I'm just a crank, doing my part to keep the internet unpleasant, I guess. roll

You weren't being a jerk. You have an opinion, that's a good thing. tongue

Lenovo Thinkpad T420; Intel sandy bridge i7 2.7GHz; integrated graphics card; 4GB RAM; wifi; Arch; Xmonad WM

#30 2012-04-29 00:21:13

kyla
Website

I dunno, I had honestly never heard of arch until lifehacker's original guide (the one linked to in the high five) was posted. I had been using been using Mint for about six months, thought Arch sounded fun, installed it, and here I am a year and a half later.   Whether or not it draws in morons, it also spreads the word to people who would be interested but aren't aware of its existence.

#31 2012-04-30 05:58:30

corvolino
Website

yes! (:

archlinux i686

#32 2012-04-30 17:17:35

Awebb

kyla wrote:

Whether or not it draws in morons, it also spreads the word to people who would be interested but aren't aware of its existence.

Weeeeell… which of the two are you then? :-P

#33 2012-05-01 18:45:28

kyla
Website

Do I have to choose just one? tongue

#34 2012-05-03 14:53:10

ezzetabi

This is especially good considering Arch's community doesn't have the reputation of being super helpful to newbies (though I've found them to be more than adequate).

(Original page)

Uh? WHAT? It happened something I do not know in the few last years? Beside... it is site called lifehacker that does not work with javascript disabled... it says this stuff... does it has any credibility?

Last edited by ezzetabi (2012-05-03 14:54:53)

#35 2012-05-05 01:37:20

rfischer1984

ngoonee wrote:
Brcher wrote:
rfischer1984 wrote:

I keep trying other dustros but always come back to arch. Idk. I really don't like the setting up and the do nothing else aproach.  If there was really good recording software for Linux. I would use nothing but Linux.

I always thought Audacity was on of the big linux success stories?

You MUST be referring to Ardour, not Audacity..... Not that Audacity isn't good software, but it can't be mentioned in the same breath as Ardour.

well at this point nothing on linux compares to the logic pros, studioone, pro tools and so on. Not that i dis-like ardour, it is good for what it is, but nothing compares to those types of software. sad  I am waiting for lightworks for linux though..:)

#36 2012-05-05 05:13:24

mynis01

It took nearly two years of occasionally having to refer to the arch wiki to fix my Debian problems before I was like "hey maybe I should just use this distro that has a wiki that tells me how to fix all these other distros." I think two years prior I had tried using arch and got stuck trying to get X running and gave up. Now I'm always sitting around trying to figure out how get things to run on my GPU instead of my CPU. Oh how times have changed.... And about DAWs. I shelved my music production aspirations temporarily and stopped wasting time learning Windows programs once bitwig was announced. Why sit around messing with pro tools when I can wait around for a proper commercial DAW that connects straight into my JACK server with no middle man? Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be vaporware.

#37 2012-05-05 15:58:27

adamrehard

Honestly, for most things, I like lifehacker. Those articles are what drew me to Arch in the first place. I (probably) won't be leaving Arch any time soon, and if I do, I'll be headed off to the land of dragons. (Slack or Gentoo smile) I can at least hope I'm learning enough to not be a noob any longer, though I will probably stay a moron. smile

"The box said requires Vista or better, so I installed Arch"
Windows != Linux

#38 2012-05-21 21:15:13

ggarron
Website

illusionist wrote:
sbfreak wrote:

Well pretty much everyone that tries Arch stays with Arch.

thats true , I never tried any other distribution after Arch..
BTW i voted there too. big_smile

Me neither, well Slackware and liked it too, but then I came back to Arch. I do not even want to try new ones.

Arch Linux is fantastic.

#39 2012-06-29 10:31:11

Pajaro

crouse wrote:

New linux users using Arch is, to quote Thomas Paine, '...  like administering medicine to the dead.'   

Most just don't appreciate it wink

Hey! Arch was my first distro! After trying many distros, Arch was the only distro that was properly documented and, moreover, it had actual "open" support: no RTFMs or ignored questions in the forums unless nobody knew the response.

I don't know which is your concept of easy distro, but, from my point of view, a distro like ubuntu that came with gnome so you had to recompile it in order to change the window drag shortcut (alt key) and with no easy way to recompile a package (like makepkg/abs) is far more difficult than Arch. What is easier? Writing a bash line to resize a whole directory tree of images or opening them one by one with photoshop? I believe that if you are lazy you won't want to spend a few hours of scripting research, but, if you are REALLY lazy, you would rather be dead than having to spend a week resizing images with photoshop, so you will do any research that is necessary as if your life depended on it. "Finish work quickly and without mistakes in order to be back doing nothing ASAP". In my case, it wasn't a directory tree of images, it was a directory tree of videos, and, lucky me, Arch had given me knowledge enough to feel comfortable installing Linux in my work computer since the day I arrived there (no ubuntu to make things easy existed yet).

Board footer