You are not logged in.

#26 2012-06-27 10:41:07

libtom

Re: Random keyboard / mouse freezes

Problem is probably in usb or somewhere in bus. I did update and new test:

- connected external mouse + dvd, kernel 3.4.4-1, blacklist: wl, snd_hda_intel, btusb, brcmsmac
- run for 3 hours without work, no freeze

- restart
- copy dvd to hdd, soft freeze when 3 GB were copied
- modprobe -r psmouse; modprobe psmouse - didn't work
- copy finished (4 GB)
- modprobe -r psmouse; modprobe psmouse - solved the problem, keyboard + touchpad worked again

- restart
- play openttd for 2 hours without sound (because of blacklisted snd_hda_intel) - no freeze

- remove snd_hda_intel from blacklist
- restart
- play openttd with sound and soft freeze after 1 hour

- restart
- connected external mouse + dvd
- boot live Ubuntu 12.04 from flash disc
- copy dvd to /tmp (memory disc), soft freeze when 500 MB were copied

I'll install windows 7 and test if I get soft freeze also in windows.

#27 2012-06-28 09:16:36

libtom

new tests:
- connected external mouse + dvd, kernel 3.4.4-1, blacklist: sp5100_tco, snd_hda_intel, btusb, brcmsmac
- soft freeze after upload 5 GB (backup of my hdd) via wifi (wl driver)

- boot from HP recovery dvd
- start windows 7 recovery
- soft freeze during copy of dvd number 3

- boot fresh installation of 64 bit windows 7
- copy 5 hp recovery dvds (20 GB) on hdd and no freeze

It seems that I get soft freeze always when some amount of data is sent thru usb/bus. But everything works in windows.

Last edited by libtom (2012-06-28 13:46:14)

#28 2012-07-06 20:41:24

andrea86

Finally I found quite an informative thread about this issue. I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (just tried another fresh install today), on my HP Pavilion dm1-4125ea. Just like reported above, I experience random keyboard/trackpad lockups. The laptop is still running, and I can connect an external USB mouse/keyboard and continue working. Of course this is not a desirable solution. The HP forum has some other users with other DM1 models having the same problem.

You people seem to have correlated the issue with a possible conflict with either the Linux kernel or the Broadcom WL driver (or both). I've just now uninstalled the proprietary Broadcom wireless driver, and I'm using the open source driver. I'll see if I keep getting the lockups. Though usually, even when not doing anything data-heavy, I still get the lockups. It's quite frustrating, and sometimes happens regularly. I hope my brand new lapop (only 1.5 months old) doesn't need a motherboard repair already!

EDIT: I am still getting the lockups. Noticing another pattern - the first lockup takes quite a while to occur, whereas the following lockups are much more frequent, sometimes soon after a laptop restart. I think there is an issue with heat as well. In fact I don't think the fans are being controlled well - they should be working more then they are, but even when the left side of the DM1 is quite hot when I touch it, the cooling fan is barely audible (I have to lower my ear to the vent to hear something), which is unusual for a laptop that has been criticised for having quite a loud cooling fan! I think the Linux kernel is just not handling this laptop well....

Last edited by andrea86 (2012-07-06 21:37:00)

#29 2012-07-09 10:15:24

libtom

Though usually, even when not doing anything data-heavy, I still get the lockups. It's quite frustrating, and sometimes happens regularly.

Try to blacklist btusb module (bluetooth). It could reduce number of freezes - workaround but better than nothing.

I hope my brand new lapop (only 1.5 months old) doesn't need a motherboard repair already!

Probably it isn't hardware problem because everything works in windows 7 - see my comment above. I suppose that HP hw is strange but windows drivers somehow work with it. I'll write to kernel mailing list and I hope that they will be able to solve our problem.

I think there is an issue with heat as well.

I don't think so. I have temperature still around 60 C (hdd has 40 C) and IMHO it is ok. I didn't notice higher fan activity in windows. I think that problem is really in strange HP usb (or bus).

#30 2012-07-15 21:23:48

guibou

Recently I did a lot of work with this laptop and noticed new stuff:

- it also happen on Window 7, but I was only able to get this issue two times since I have the laptop (even if I'm playing diablo III three hours a day on it + testing and compiling all my work on it). So perhaps the twos freezes I got are another issue (except that they behaved the same way)
- it may happen without loading any wireless or network module
- if I have brcmsmac/wl driver loaded and doing an heavy work, it freezes in ten seconds when it can takes minutes without the driver loaded
- unpluging the battery and pressing the power button for a few seconds (which may remove the residual power) helps a bit (ie, the issue takes more time to appears)

Something off topic, but did you get working wireless with the brcmsmac driver ? The wl one does not detect all networks and suffer from connection lost, but the brcmsmac see all the network with only 10% of signal strength)

#31 2012-07-16 14:00:59

czlowiekwidmo

Hello,

I experience the same problem on both Linux and Windows7.

I noticed the freeze occurs more frequently when I move the laptop or when I put it on surface that is not very stable (bed, sofa etc) so maybe the built-in accelerometer (HP CoolSense) has something to do with it?

BTW When it happens on Windows7, all I need to get it working again is to log out. No need to restart/suspend. Just log out using USB mouse and just before the windows login screen appears the touchpad and keyboard are working again.

#32 2012-07-16 14:26:35

ewaller
Administrator

czlowiekwidmo wrote:

I noticed the freeze occurs more frequently when I move the laptop or when I put it on surface that is not very stable (bed, sofa etc) so maybe....

Or perhaps a blocked cooling air vent or intake?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#33 2012-07-16 19:24:22

cnelsonak

I'm having the same problem with my HP dm1-4010us.  Keyboard and touchpad freezes seemingly under load caused by high network and/or USB/hard drive activity.  May also coincide with a thermal event? 

I can usually suspend the machine and restore will re-activate the keyboard/touchpad for a period time.

From the HP forum it appears that one of the thermal registers may be triggering a freeze -- which may may explain the randomness.  The suggestion is to disable thermal events in kernel (pass boot parameter: thermal.off=1).  Has anyone here tried this yet to see if these problems are all related?  Example provided for updating GRUB:

example /etc/default/grub:
Edit:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
To:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash thermal.off=1"

Then
update-grub

This appears to "fix" the problem and the BIOS has a setting (on by default) to run the fan always.

I have not seen the freeze in Windows yet.  I guess the real question here is whether this is a defect in the hardware or just a bug to be fixed in kernel and/or drivers for Linux and Windows.

#34 2012-07-16 23:19:22

cnelsonak

Just to follow up on the previous post.  I can reproduce this fairly easily.  Monitoring the temperature with acpi -V, as soon as the it hits the first temp trip point (ok -> passive)  -- then the keyboard and touchpad freeze.  You can still use an external keyboard and mouse.  In fact, everything else seems to keep running perfectly.

The command acpi -V returns the following before the freeze:

Thermal 0: ok, 59.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode hot at temperature 100.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 64.0 degrees C

Until here, now keyboard and touchpad are frozen:

Thermal 0: passive, 64.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode hot at temperature 100.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 1 switches to mode passive at temperature 64.0 degrees C

At which point I can suspend the machine, let it cool down a little (just a couple seconds really) wake it back up and everything is fine until it hits 64 degrees again.

I haven't tested turning off thermal in the kernel yet -- I wanted to first play with the BIOS setting that forces the fan to run.  While I get the error in both cases, the system seems to run much cooler if the BIOS setting is *disabled* that is if the fan is not set to run all the time the system stays cooler.

Would be nice if we could keep the Linux thermal settings enabled and turn-off the BIOS fan setting -- that seems like it would produce the best results.

[update 12-7-17]

Unfortunately, the temperature was a red herring.  I get the freezes at different points and the trip point is not part of the equation. In fact, now when I run acpi -V the first trip point is at 97 degrees and not 64 like I posted above.

I tried multiple combinations of changing the fan BIOS setting and the thermal.off=1 setting with little to no effect.  Once the machine has frozen, it seems like it will do so again almost immediately after a reboot and login.  Just typing into the terminal will eventually cause a freeze of the keyboard.

I can reboot into Windows and everything seems to run fine.  I'm starting to think this isn't heat related.  And it doesn't seem dependent on cpu, disk, or network traffic.

Last edited by cnelsonak (2012-07-17 17:08:00)

#35 2012-08-16 22:06:55

cnelsonak

To follow-up, I returned the Dm1-1040us to HP and they replaced it with another (identical) machine.  I no longer have any issues with the keyboard/touchpad freezing.  I've been using the machine pretty heavily for two weeks and have had only one crash (under heavy load) but it looked to be completely unrealted.

Last edited by cnelsonak (2012-08-16 22:07:19)

#36 2012-08-20 17:37:55

MegaManfred

I have the same phenomenon on a HP DM1-4000SB. After a lot of looking around, I arrived at this link. I suspect this is the phenomenon.
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux … 00477.html. Same phenomenon on openSUSE, but I think this might help you guys. Sorry but for now I don't have a solution.

#37 2012-09-14 15:17:38

guibou

cnelsonak wrote:

To follow-up, I returned the Dm1-1040us to HP and they replaced it with another (identical) machine.  I no longer have any issues with the keyboard/touchpad freezing.  I've been using the machine pretty heavily for two weeks and have had only one crash (under heavy load) but it looked to be completely unrealted.

Same thing. They replaced only the keyboard and since (twos weeks, heavy work) no keyboard freeze. Some hardlock when I'm plugin or unplugin the computer, but this is a totally different issue.

Send your computer back to HP, they do the job.

Board footer