You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-18 03:46:56

Kitkin15

"Not authorized to perform operation" when mounting a drive. [SOLVED]

When i try to mount a drive while im in my defult profile (Called kitkin15) i get a pop up "Error: Not authorized to perform operation".

I am in the group wheel
I have edited sudoers like i should.
When i log in as "root" i do not get this error.

Ive tried to google, and i cant find anything that has to do with FluxBox, and i believe it has to do with FluxBox itself.

Thanks for any and all help smile

~Kitkin15

Last edited by Kitkin15 (2012-05-23 02:15:16)

~Kitkin15
I hate systemd. <3 initscripts <3

#2 2012-05-18 03:53:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: "Not authorized to perform operation" when mounting a drive. [SOLVED]

Are you using the mount command in a terminal, or how are you trying to mount?

Why do you think it is fluxbox related?  Can you mount the drive from your account in a console?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-05-18 15:40:50

MadTux

Do you start Fluxbox through .xinitrc? If yes, did you read the Wiki article about mounting?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc

#4 2012-05-18 18:03:23

anonymous_user

Also if you use Slim to login, search the forums for the recent update and consolekit.

#5 2012-05-18 18:05:19

Kitkin15

MadTux wrote:

Do you start Fluxbox through .xinitrc? If yes, did you read the Wiki article about mounting?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinitrc

Yes i did just try putting in:

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
    # Do not launch dbus before ConsoleKit (FS#25031)
    #[ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
    [ "$f" -ne "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/30-dbus" ] && [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi

Just as it said there, but that still didnt fix it. (Yes i restarted my computer for the changes to take effect)

Also, when you start FluxBox with "exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startfluxbox" It is supposed to auto mount, and it does auto mount, but its saying that when im logged in as "kitkin15" I cant get in. It says that i dont have the right to be in there. I dont understand why, my permissions are correct, i edited sudoers like i was supposed to, and i added myself to the group "wheel". But its telling me that i cant access any drives.

~Kitkin15

#6 2012-05-18 19:16:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Please post actual error messages and the commands they are in reply to.  I can't make heads or tails of the several "It says ..." parts.

What is "it" and how are you attempting to mount the drives?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2012-05-18 20:33:33

berbae

This line is bad:

-ne is for integers comparison.

for strings it is: !=

So the line should be:
[ "$f" != "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/30-dbus" ] && [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"

#8 2012-05-19 01:30:32

Kitkin15

Trilby wrote:

Please post actual error messages and the commands they are in reply to.  I can't make heads or tails of the several "It says ..." parts.

What is "it" and how are you attempting to mount the drives?

As i said in the original post "Error: Not authorized to perform operation"

The above quoted line is the error i get.

As i said in my reply to you and the other member, FluxBox is set to "auto mount" Which means when you plug the device in, it is then mounted.

By "it" i was refering to the computer or to the issue in general.

~Kitkin15

#9 2012-05-19 01:34:38

Kitkin15

berbae wrote:

This line is bad:

-ne is for integers comparison.

for strings it is: !=

So the line should be:
[ "$f" != "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/30-dbus" ] && [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"

Yes the link that was in the quote above said that i should edit the file to have the code above, and if not that it would have issues mounting, and it did not fix the issue, so i think im going to copy the file from skel.

Sorry as of right now i dont have access to me computer and i dont have the ability to copy and paste on the computer i am currently on, so i cant be too specific, but i will be on my computer in about 3 hours smile

~Kitkin15

#10 2012-05-19 01:35:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Good luck.

#11 2012-05-19 05:29:15

Kitkin15

Also, when i log in as root and i click on a mounted drive, i see the location as being:

/run/media/root/New Volume
(New Volume is the name of the mounted volume
Is this incorrect? I thought it should be just "media/New Volume"

~Kitkin15

#12 2012-05-19 05:31:46

anonymous_user

I believe that's the (default) directory used by udisks2:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=140134

#13 2012-05-19 05:33:43

Kitkin15

Trilby wrote:

Good luck.

I hope your not upset by what i said, i was not trying to be rude. I was only trying to answer the questions you asked me to answer.

I do want to let you know that im not some skid or noob like you assume i am, though i completely understand why you would think this. Having your first post being about having an issue, and not being about resolving an issue does start you off as looking bad, but ive never had a reason to post before, i just started with Arch (Though ive used many OS's over the years) And i dont think i should attempt to help anyone if i dont know the OS enough to be comfterble for it.

Sorry for any spelling errors, i still dont have spell check activated yet. Ill be working on that now smile

~Kitkin15

#14 2012-05-19 11:17:22

Kitkin15

anonymous_user wrote:

I believe that's the (default) directory used by udisks2:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=140134

Ok so that does make sense

But i still dont understand why im getting this error..... It keeps saying "Not authorized to perform operation"

I dont understand why it only does this while in my profile. I honestly have no problem with it not being in /media (Though it did look more clean that way) All i want is to be able to mount my media lol.

As in that link, my devices are in:
/run/media/kitkin15/DEVICE

But i cant access "DEVICE"

And if i try to acces by going folder to folder, it shows that there is nothing in media except for a file named "utab"

~Kitkin15

~Kitkin15

#15 2012-05-19 13:31:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I didn't think you were being rude.  But I did feel you were being uninformative.  Technically, unless I missed it after a couple readings, you still have not said how you are attempting to mount the devices.  There are probably a dozen different ways to mount media, and at least half a dozen ways to automount.

Anonymous_user assumed you are using udisks2.  If this is correct it narrows it down a bit; if it is incorrect, everyone is now thinking in the wrong direction.

I also asked several questions in the first response to this thread.  I wasn't making smalltalk, the answers to those questions would provide some of the information needed to solve the problem.  They have not been answered.

Sometimes problems are solved by everyone throwing random suggestions at the OP who just responds "nope, didn't work", until one of the suggestions finally does work.  Other times the OP can provide the needed information so the problem can be narrowed down precisely and addressed directly.  Both may solve the problem, but only in the second case does anyone learn anything.  And being one of the contributors in the first type is frustrating.

You may take this thread in any direction you wish, you're the one with the issue.  I'll just opt out of contributing if this is to go into the random-guess and check direction.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-05-19 13:32:53)

#16 2012-05-19 21:03:25

Kitkin15

"exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startfluxbox"

That is the code in my .xinitrc, that is what allows for "auto mount"
That is what i know. udisks2 is most likely what im using, that i do not know.

You also wernt completely specific, i thought you meant what command allows me to auto mount, so i posted the above command. How would i be able to double check and make sure it is udisks2 that i am using?

Sorry for the confusion.

~Kitkin15

~Kitkin15

#17 2012-05-19 21:30:27

anonymous_user

Well based on the initial error, I am guessing you use either Thunar or PCManFM and are clicking the drives to mount them. Am I correct or at least close?

#18 2012-05-19 22:41:29

Kitkin15

anonymous_user wrote:

Well based on the initial error, I am guessing you use either Thunar or PCManFM and are clicking the drives to mount them. Am I correct or at least close?

More like dead on lol.

I originally used pcmanfm to try and access it, but then i found out i also have "FileManager" and i have the same error.

Last edited by Kitkin15 (2012-05-19 23:31:38)

~Kitkin15

#19 2012-05-20 23:26:01

Kitkin15

"File Manager" Turned out to be nautilus

~Kitkin15

#20 2012-05-21 16:59:33

Kitkin15

Also now thinking about this, it seems more like a permissions error, but because i am in all the groups you would think i would need to be in (wheel, optical, and i believe storage. Optical and Storage are both for external media)
And i have no problem with my root profile, so that also says that it would be permissions messing it up (Im in all of the same groups as my root profile is, except for the group "root" which i have added myself to, and that didnt seem to resolve the issue either)

So this just leads me back to believing that it would be an issue with FluxBox

~Kitkin15

#21 2012-05-21 17:37:56

anonymous_user

If you truly think the issue is Fluxbox, then try another wm like Openbox however I doubt that's the problem. Mounting is handled by udev/udisks/mount.

#22 2012-05-21 17:52:10

bgc1954

Just reading through this post made me remember a few days ago when I was having mounting/unmounting problems with my netbook. I hadn't tried accessing my camera with this netbook but we went on a little vacation and I was trying to look at the pictures through my netbook.  It was throwing up permission errors and when looking for a solution I stumbled on alot of people having various issues due to consolekit and when I did a

$ ck-list-session

I saw two sessions for my user.  When I checked my .xintrc I still had "exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch i3" so I edited it to only read "exec i3" and my permissions problems disappeared.  I use xdm as a display manager and apparently that already takes care of consolekit so if you're using xdm, slim or the like as a display manager you don't need the "ck-launch-session" part in your .xinitrc.  anonymous_user previously mentioned looking into slim but I didn't see any response to that question.  I'm just stabbing in the dark here.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#23 2012-05-21 17:52:12

ewaller
Administrator

A few things.

I would never, ever,  log in as root into a graphical environment.  It is your machine, so do as you will -- but I would really consider the wisdom of that.

Sudo and the 'wheel' group make it so you should not need to log in as root.  Sudo is used to enable root privileges from the command line.  In general, it does not allow GUI tools to run with root permissions (there are some tools like gtsudo that do)  Just because you are in wheel, file managers don't run with root permissions.

The auto mounting from user space GUI tools is dependent on console kit.  CK is dependent on Dbus.  Dbus must be in your DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#24 2012-05-21 17:57:35

bgc1954

@ewaller - I guess that's why I was able to drop the dbus-launch stuff as well in my .xinitrc.  I already had dbus in my DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#25 2012-05-21 18:39:57

bout10bucks

for fun; remove ck-launch-session from .xinitrc

Board footer