You are not logged in.

#26 2012-05-21 19:03:00

Kitkin15

Re: "Not authorized to perform operation" when mounting a drive. [SOLVED]

bgc1954 wrote:

Just reading through this post made me remember a few days ago when I was having mounting/unmounting problems with my netbook. I hadn't tried accessing my camera with this netbook but we went on a little vacation and I was trying to look at the pictures through my netbook.  It was throwing up permission errors and when looking for a solution I stumbled on alot of people having various issues due to consolekit and when I did a

$ ck-list-session

I saw two sessions for my user.  When I checked my .xintrc I still had "exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch i3" so I edited it to only read "exec i3" and my permissions problems disappeared.  I use xdm as a display manager and apparently that already takes care of consolekit so if you're using xdm, slim or the like as a display manager you don't need the "ck-launch-session" part in your .xinitrc.  anonymous_user previously mentioned looking into slim but I didn't see any response to that question.  I'm just stabbing in the dark here.

I will try and take ck-list-session out of my .xintrc, i do see how that could be the issue, i will post on here if this fixes it or not smile

~Kitkin15
I hate systemd. <3 initscripts <3

#27 2012-05-21 19:05:11

Kitkin15

ewaller wrote:

A few things.

I would never, ever,  log in as root into a graphical environment.  It is your machine, so do as you will -- but I would really consider the wisdom of that.

Sudo and the 'wheel' group make it so you should not need to log in as root.  Sudo is used to enable root privileges from the command line.  In general, it does not allow GUI tools to run with root permissions (there are some tools like gtsudo that do)  Just because you are in wheel, file managers don't run with root permissions.

The auto mounting from user space GUI tools is dependent on console kit.  CK is dependent on Dbus.  Dbus must be in your DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf.

Dbus is first in the DAEMONS array smile I need that for more then one reason lol.

Also, i do many things thats not reccomended, i normally dont run a WM in root, but i was doing it to test a few things out smile

I will double check that Dbus is first, theres a possibility that something is in front of it, and if im correct they all work in order.

~Kitkin15

#28 2012-05-21 21:29:57

Kitkin15

So when i try having .xinitric say "startfluxbox" only i get this:
Screenshotfrom2012-05-21161028.png
Look on the top left and youll see nothing was mounted automatically.

When i have the full line "exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch startfluxbox"
2.png
The drive is mounted (Top left of pic "New Volume"), but when i attempt to access it (By clicking on it) I get:
error.png

I will try getting rid of dbus-launch just for fun (Because it does start up as is) But i doubt it will make a difference. Better trying and failing then not trying at all smile
EDIT: I got rid of "launch-dbus" but it didnt automatically boot the device as it should, it looked just the same as the first picture.
  ~Kitkin15

Last edited by Kitkin15 (2012-05-21 21:43:05)

~Kitkin15

#29 2012-05-21 21:51:07

Kitkin15

Groups i am in: bin daemon sys adm disk wheel log games network video audio optical storage power

groups kitkin15 also shows that i am in the group "root" which i only went to after i was having this problem, just to see if that would fix it. I am no longer in that group, i dont know why it still shows up. When i try to take myself out it gives an error saying i do not belong to that group, so i think its just an error. I will take a look at the groups file in just one minute to make sure im not still in it.

~Kitkin15

#30 2012-05-21 21:59:53

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please learn to use the edit button (bottom right of all of your posts) rather than continually bumping your thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#31 2012-05-21 23:40:56

Kitkin15

jasonwryan wrote:

Please learn to use the edit button (bottom right of all of your posts) rather than continually bumping your thread...

I do apologize, after a certain time or if something different was done i do normally just post once again, this way it doesnt look like im talking about the same troubleshooting step. I will start using the "edit" button a bit more though.

~Kitkin15

~Kitkin15

#32 2012-05-22 01:51:46

stryder

Is that new volume ntfs?

#33 2012-05-22 02:58:33

Kitkin15

Yes infact i believe it is. If not then i know my EXT HDD is

EDIT: Also, if i log in as "root" and i copy pictures from a external device to /home/kitkin15/Pictures those items stay owned by "root" and i have to change the permissions of them before i can do anything with them.

This just seems more like i dont have the right to mount drives, but as stated above permissions should not be the case here

Last edited by Kitkin15 (2012-05-22 11:29:58)

~Kitkin15

#34 2012-05-22 11:51:03

stryder

I have a similar problem though my ntfs disk is internal. I had not bothered to deal with it as mounting as root works. Anyway I decided to make it work today. I found out that with the recent update, clicking on the icon to automount (in thunar) gives me a dialog box and I am asked for my password. That works. But of course I don't want to have to key in my password. The suggestions in this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=140185 did it for me. HTH.

#35 2012-05-22 22:34:44

Kitkin15

stryder wrote:

I have a similar problem though my ntfs disk is internal. I had not bothered to deal with it as mounting as root works. Anyway I decided to make it work today. I found out that with the recent update, clicking on the icon to automount (in thunar) gives me a dialog box and I am asked for my password. That works. But of course I don't want to have to key in my password. The suggestions in this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=140185 did it for me. HTH.

Which part helped you? Theres many things in there lol.

I did take a look at a few things, theres some i wouldnt want to risk on my own, then i did try "ck-list-sessions" I saw that i had two sessions running as the guy posted in that URL, and then i got rid of the ck-blahblach from my .xinitrc. After rebooting i noticed that i no longer have 2 sessions running, so thats good, but it did not fix the problem sad

~Kitkin15

~Kitkin15

#36 2012-05-22 23:03:29

stryder

Rookie's. Thought it was obvious. Looking doesn't help. You have to do. And revert if they don't work. Otherwise you are just standing still and gain no further insight. And you should be testing with other file managers like Thunar. And you should check if you have udisks(2) present and gvfs installed. You should update to the latest. It is your system.Only you can troubleshoot it.

Last edited by stryder (2012-05-22 23:18:07)

#37 2012-05-23 00:48:29

Kitkin15

stryder wrote:

Rookie's. Thought it was obvious. Looking doesn't help. You have to do. And revert if they don't work. Otherwise you are just standing still and gain no further insight. And you should be testing with other file managers like Thunar. And you should check if you have udisks(2) present and gvfs installed. You should update to the latest. It is your system.Only you can troubleshoot it.

This is on both file managers i have, im not sure if i even have Thunar, but i will check that one out as well and see if i get the same error.

I am using udisks (one) I did check just now to confirm. I do have gvfs as well.

Should i try and get udisks2? I personally think no, but if you resolved your issue with udisk2 then maybe its a good idea. Im new to Arch so im not sure if i have much experence with either lmao.

Last edited by Kitkin15 (2012-05-23 00:50:36)

~Kitkin15

#38 2012-05-23 00:53:03

anonymous_user

If you have gvfs and are up-to-date, it should have udisks2 as a dependency.

#39 2012-05-23 01:05:10

Kitkin15

anonymous_user wrote:

If you have gvfs and are up-to-date, it should have udisks2 as a dependency.

When i go into the terminal and i type "udisks" and press "tab" a few times it suggests three programs:

udisks             udisksctl          udisks-tcp-bridge

If im correct this should mean that i dont have udisks2.

When i do the same with "gvfs" it reccomends:

gvfs-cat            gvfs-mkdir          gvfs-rename
gvfs-copy           gvfs-monitor-dir    gvfs-rm
gvfs-info           gvfs-monitor-file   gvfs-save
gvfs-less           gvfs-mount          gvfs-set-attribute
gvfs-ls             gvfs-move           gvfs-trash
gvfs-mime           gvfs-open           gvfs-tree

So if im correct i have that installed as well.

I might have checked for udisks2 wrong, if so then please let me know.

Also i tried what Rockie said. I put:

[Override udisks2 filesystem-mount-system rule]
Identity=unix-user:myusername
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system
ResultAny=auth_admin
ResultInactive=auth_admin
ResultActive=yes

I put that in:

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/50-filesystem-mount-system-internal.pkla

But because i didnt have the file "50-filesystem-mount-system-internal.pkla" i created one myself, and just posted the above code in it. Im not sure if there is supposed to be anything else in the file or not.

~Kitkin15

#40 2012-05-23 01:19:29

stryder

You know to put in your user name, right?
pacman -Qi udisks2 but you likely have it.

#41 2012-05-23 01:20:44

anonymous_user

Try this:

pacman -Q udisks2

#42 2012-05-23 01:30:10

Kitkin15

stryder wrote:

You know to put in your user name, right?
pacman -Qi udisks2 but you likely have it.

Ok yes i do have it

udisks2 1.94.0-1

And god ****it.... I didnt take a look at the code that great sad Im going to put in my user-name and reboot lmfao.

That ***** embarrassing lmao.

EDIT: Ok so its working now big_smile I still cant believe that i didnt put my username........

Last edited by Kitkin15 (2012-05-23 01:34:29)

~Kitkin15

#43 2012-05-23 01:43:06

anonymous_user

Great news! Now edit your first post and marked this as SOLVED.

#44 2012-05-23 02:15:57

Kitkin15

Thank you everyone very much smile

~Kitkin15

~Kitkin15

#45 2012-05-24 18:12:33

donniezazen
Website

/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/50-filesystem-mount-system-internal.pkla

[Override udisks2 filesystem-mount-system rule]
Identity=unix-user:myusername
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks2.filesystem-mount-system
ResultAny=auth_admin
ResultInactive=auth_admin
ResultActive=yes

I was having same problem in Awesome and probably all other WM/DE.  I do not use xinitrc but LightDM. The above hackery fixed. Now I need to work on proper safe-removal and file permissions of removable drives.

Last edited by donniezazen (2012-05-24 18:12:55)

Board footer