You are not logged in.

#26 2012-05-27 02:17:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Specialized applications [SOLVED]

While I would agree with the previous two posts I worry that there is a miscommunication that is polarizing the topic.

Certainly you should go for PKGBUILDs that work, not for fewest lines.  In the learning processes, however, I can see the utility of knowing what the most basic core functionality is that you can then build on.  I remember first learning to make packages and it seemed a bit overwhelming - I didn't know where to start.  In that spirit, you minimal PKGBUILD is a good start.  It is lacking a couple important parts though.

First, there should be a license indicated.  Next, a checksum should be added - `makepkg -g >> PKGBUILD` will do this for you very easily.  Also, as this is not yet in the AUR, I'm not sure how the pkgrel is 8; that should just be 1.

If this does go to the aur, the maintainer's (your) contact information should be at the top.

It would also be good to ensure the "install" directive of the Makefile properly copies over any man pages or other needed resources.  Some Makefiles will do this, others will not.  If one doesn't, this should be handled in the package function.

But overall you do have the core functionality in that PKGBUILD.  There are lots of fine details that can be learned about - but at the core they are just a script that runs the build process.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-05-27 02:19:05)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#27 2012-05-27 02:19:47

rnarch

Thanks. I am marking this as solved.

#28 2012-05-27 15:45:27

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

You need to include the description in the PKGBUILD too.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer