You are not logged in.

#26 2012-05-31 21:47:23

Kitkin15

Re: Trouble mounting Arch with LUKS encrypted partitions

Ok so as of right now my /etc/mkinitcpio.conf looks like:

HOOKS="fsck base udev autodetect pata scsi sata encrypt filesystems usbinput"

The above line is uncommented, so it should be readable (And the hook "encrypt" works, if not then there would be no way for me to enter my encryption password, and it does prompt me to enter it)

I originally had fsck placed right before automount, which is shown to be the best thing to do HERE
And it didnt work, then i moved it to the beginning, saved, rebooted, then i ran:

# mount -o remount,rw /
# mount /dev/sda1
# mount -o remount,rw /boot
# mkinitcpio -p linux

I get:

ERROR: Hook 'fsck' can not be found

~Kitkin15
I hate systemd. <3 initscripts <3

#27 2012-05-31 21:54:47

matse

Add the fsck hook at the end of your list... you know that we have a pretty nice wiki?

#28 2012-05-31 22:00:39

Kitkin15

matse wrote:

Add the fsck hook at the end of your list... you know that we have a pretty nice wiki?

I saw that if you used encryption you would add it before "automount"

And i have looked in the Wiki, i never ask a question unless i cant find the answer myself, i spent almost 24 hours trying to fix this before i made the post.
I do apologize for taking up your time, and i do appreciate your help.

~Kitkin15

#29 2012-05-31 22:02:06

matse

nevermind... does that mean it finally working?

#30 2012-05-31 22:13:53

Kitkin15

I did all the steps above after putting fsck at the end, and it started to work.... Until i got to the end. I had the same error

ERROR: Hook 'fsck' can not be found

BUT it did seem to be working until i hit that area, the only error i got was with fsck.

~Kitkin15

#31 2012-05-31 22:19:38

matse

Is your system up to date and do you have "/usr/lib/initcpio/install/fsck" ? Otherwise do a -Syu...

#32 2012-05-31 23:02:57

Kitkin15

matse wrote:

Is your system up to date and do you have "/usr/lib/initcpio/install/fsck" ? Otherwise do a -Syu...

I did pacman -Syu, came up with a few errors, after getting passed the errors it actually ended up doing everything for me, and after i ran

# mkinitcpio -p linux

it actually went through successfully.

But after restarting i got the error that my home folder could not be found (/dev/mapper/sda4 which is in fstab but still wont load) And that my root folder is still read-only EXCEPT this time it tells me to run:

mount -o remount,rw /

which is almost the same as before, except the last one had a

-n

in front of the "-o"

I also tried running

sudo pacman -Sy

which worked (Said that everything was up to date) And before it was telling me that i couldnt use sudo because / was read-write. So i believe that its lying to me about this, not 100% sure, but since i can do many things without getting that error... I think its ok.

I think the real problem is that it cant mount my home folder..... Im going to take one more look and see how things work right now.

~Kitkin15

#33 2012-05-31 23:09:55

matse

You need your home also in your crypttab, since it is encrypted... don't you have it there?
And btw. -Sy alone is useless and not really recommended to do, always use -Syu or just -S. And especially in your case check -Syu out.

#34 2012-05-31 23:30:52

Kitkin15

matse wrote:

You need your home also in your crypttab, since it is encrypted... don't you have it there?
And btw. -Sy alone is useless and not really recommended to do, always use -Syu or just -S. And especially in your case check -Syu out.

Yes i do have it there, its set as "/dev/sda4" which is correct, i tried /dev/mapper/sda4 and that said it was incorrect.

Its able to unlock my home folder, but right after it successfully unlocks i get:

fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mapper/sda4
    Possibly non-existent device?

Also, i did find out that when i go into maintenance mode root IS read-only until i enter "mount -o remount,rw /"

I think that if its not read-write by default that it will end up not being able to finish mounting home.

RIght now what im going to do is enter the maintenance mode, then im going to try and see if i can:

cd /home/
ls

And see if i can go inside home or not.

Last time i did:
mount /dev/mapper/sda4

And it told me that it did not exist.

~Kitkin15

#35 2012-05-31 23:45:03

Kitkin15

What im going to do is im going to download the newest arch linux install, then install that over the drives i have now. I think that will help out with most of this. I can configure everything back to how it is now.

~Kitkin15

#36 2012-06-01 12:14:29

Kitkin15

Ive got to have my computer working for this weekend, im going through 2 weeks of Military training and ill need my laptop. So i formatted and put all my backed up info on the computer, im going to try the encrypted partitions on my 2nd hdd in my spare time. Thank you very much for your help.

~Kitkin15

Board footer