You are not logged in.

#26 2012-07-23 14:25:24

tomegun
Developer

Re: Has rc.conf become unnecessary?

Onyros wrote:

Just moved to systemd (with initscripts-systemd, suppose it'll keep on being supported) and I have a very, very important complaint right now: the green! Aaaaarrrggghhh, it hurts my eyes. Can't we change it to good old Arch blue? tongue

Hm, is something green? The OK's you mean?

#27 2012-07-23 14:27:29

Onyros

Yeah, but don't worry, I was just kidding wink (well, if there *is* a way to change those to blue, even better).

The initscripts were so much more elegant in display tongue

#28 2012-07-23 14:30:33

krum

Onyros wrote:

Yeah, but don't worry, I was just kidding wink (well, if there *is* a way to change those to blue, even better).

The initscripts were so much more elegant in display tongue

Just edit the scripts of systemd... oh shit big_smile

#29 2012-07-23 17:14:53

thoho180192

I like the arch style of booting too ! wink

#30 2012-07-23 23:56:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

swordfish wrote:

Over the last days I read a lot - here in the forum an I read and re-read several postings on arch-dev-public. As a conclusion it became clear, that the changes to rc.conf happen because of the ongoing switch to systemd (at least I hope that I got that right smile ).

This part isn't correct, really. systemd switch may happen (or not) in the future, the dev in charge of initscripts would prefer it that way, but these particular changes were made for upstream reasons, not 'in preparation for a switch to systemd'.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#31 2012-07-24 22:32:26

Roken

OK, I finally got around to setting up everything to use the new rc.conf, and one thing gave me trouble until I'd read enough, and that was setting the hostname.

Can I ask why everything else is whatever.conf (locale.conf, vconsole.conf, somemodule.conf) but setting the hostname isn't done with hostname.conf, just simply /etc/hostname (which isn't clear from the notes at the head of the new rc.conf - I spent 10 minutes trying things with the hostname command to get a persistent hostname). Surely it would be more logical to maintain convention with /etc/hostname being /etc/hostname.conf?

EDIT: Whilst I'm at it, a heads up that vconsole.conf is required separately from locale.conf if you want your keyboard configured everywhere would have been nice, too, or have the system default to locale.conf is vconsole.conf is missing.

Last edited by Roken (2012-07-24 22:37:14)

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#32 2012-07-24 22:39:05

tomegun
Developer

Roken wrote:

Can I ask why everything else is whatever.conf (locale.conf, vconsole.conf, somemodule.conf) but setting the hostname isn't done with hostname.conf, just simply /etc/hostname (which isn't clear from the notes at the head of the new rc.conf - I spent 10 minutes trying things with the hostname command to get a persistent hostname). Surely it would be more logical to maintain convention with /etc/hostname being /etc/hostname.conf?

It's a Debian-ism. For some background on the different config files, see: http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-ne … files.html

#33 2012-07-24 22:52:42

Roken

OK, got it. Perhaps one of the poorer choices since hostname already exists (as a completely different entity) in /bin, which is what lead to my own confusion, and I've been around the block a few years on Linux.

I suppose since it's a "fire and forget" config option it's not the end of the world. Just struck me as wrong for a couple of reasons.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#34 2012-07-26 05:15:25

farvardin
Website

Pierre wrote:

the old rc.conf entries are still supported.

ok, but for how long?

#35 2012-07-26 05:16:35

Allan
Pacman
Website

farvardin wrote:
Pierre wrote:

ok, but for how long?

Until you are told otherwise in a news post.

#36 2012-07-26 06:34:13

Awebb

farvardin wrote:
Pierre wrote:

ok, but for how long?

If you anxious people didn't produce so much white noise, you'd actually witness all the important facts. I remember one dev saying, that the rc.conf will be supported "forever", but between all that nagging and disinformation, it is impossible to find that post again.

#37 2012-07-26 07:05:26

PhotonX

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen2, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

#38 2012-07-29 15:27:42

jamesbond007

tomegun wrote:

Once initscripts goes to [core] I'll post a news item.

@tomegun: initscripts appeared in [core] two days ago. Where is the news item? ;-)

#39 2012-07-29 15:53:48

tomegun
Developer

jamesbond007 wrote:
tomegun wrote:

Once initscripts goes to [core] I'll post a news item.

@tomegun: initscripts appeared in [core] two days ago. Where is the news item? ;-)

Got delayed, in the works.

-t

#40 2012-07-30 10:49:43

kaipee

OK so I just updated my system today and seen that rc.conf got a rc.conf.pacnew

I tried to have a look on News or elsewhere about information relating to this - but nothing.
I'm a very new Arch user (still setting up and configuring) and I now see that everything I previously configured needs to be re-done in different (separate) config files??

I'm not an old-hat Linux user so don't know much about where all these configs are kept - is there anywhere I can read up on what needs changed / created / removed ?? I'm afraid to reboot my system now in case something borks, it's taken me almost a week to get where I am now (all sorts of problems installing and setting up).

This is really just slowly becoming a headache. I have other work to get on with, without having to deal with spending so much time on just getting a PC to work.

#41 2012-07-30 11:13:09

tomegun
Developer

kaipee wrote:

OK so I just updated my system today and seen that rc.conf got a rc.conf.pacnew

I tried to have a look on News or elsewhere about information relating to this - but nothing.
I'm a very new Arch user (still setting up and configuring) and I now see that everything I previously configured needs to be re-done in different (separate) config files??

I'm not an old-hat Linux user so don't know much about where all these configs are kept - is there anywhere I can read up on what needs changed / created / removed ?? I'm afraid to reboot my system now in case something borks, it's taken me almost a week to get where I am now (all sorts of problems installing and setting up).

This is really just slowly becoming a headache. I have other work to get on with, without having to deal with spending so much time on just getting a PC to work.

See "man archlinux" for an overview. Or "man rc.conf" for more details about rc.conf. Everything should still work if you just keep your old file.

#42 2012-07-30 11:16:40

kaipee

tomegun wrote:

See "man archlinux" for an overview. Or "man rc.conf" for more details about rc.conf. Everything should still work if you just keep your old file.

Cheers tomegun I'll have a look at those later. I'm actually having to move house today so I can't spend time on chasing all these details up.
It's nice to know I can actually have a working machine after I turn it off today and back on tomorrow in my new place.

#43 2012-07-30 12:25:05

skanky

ngoonee wrote:
krum wrote:

The real issue is, I think, only a lack of communication.
As a simple user, if I don't follow the arch-dev-public mailinglist, where could I find a central point of information (maybe a wiki page) regarding the whole systemd/rc.conf transition/futur/draft?

Not only the technical information but also the differents arguments from devellopers about this situation (to understand and not flame the forum after).

As a horse, if I don't walk up to the feedlot, where can I find another place with hay? The point of arch-dev-public is for such information. You don't even need to be subscribed to it to read it (and unless you want to put your input in, you can just read the parts you're interested in after having been notified via archlinux.org). You DO need to be subscribed to it if you want to know what's coming up. That's the central point of information.

Just as an extra, you don't need to be subscribed to it by email, I use the rss feed to keep up with it - that way I only get a post per thread, and can follow up on ones that interest me.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#44 2012-07-30 12:49:00

TheCuban

Once I got the update pulled down and saw the .pacnew, I just compared the .pacnew to the original rc.conf, read the news, and then went on my merrily self on separating the information. I think this change is great because now my rc.conf not only looks cleaner, the info that I change the most (DAEMONs when installing new, awesome stuff) is there at the forefront of the file.

Now, onto reading up on systemd and seeing if it'll benefit me. smile

On the sake of saving me Googling time, is there a file in /etc/ that I can use for networking? So as to separate that from rc.conf?

#45 2012-07-30 12:50:35

tomegun
Developer

TheCuban wrote:

On the sake of saving me Googling time, is there a file in /etc/ that I can use for networking? So as to separate that from rc.conf?

If you use the 'network' daemon that comes with initscripts, then that's still configured in rc.conf. If you use networkmanager, netcfg, or something else that's configured separately.

#46 2012-07-30 12:52:43

TheCuban

tomegun wrote:
TheCuban wrote:

If you use the 'network' daemon that comes with initscripts, then that's still configured in rc.conf. If you use networkmanager, netcfg, or something else that's configured separately.

Yup, that's what I use, the 'network' daemon that comes with initscripts. smile Thanks for clarifying that, though I should of known that already.

#47 2012-07-30 12:56:27

clovenhoof

Hi,

Where are those rc.conf changes you are talking about?
I just did pacman -Syu on my system and rebooted after that.

Now, I cannot see any difference between my current rc.conf and rc.conf.pacnew

#48 2012-07-30 12:57:32

kaipee

So do I keep things like sshd, xinted, gdm in the DAEMONS section of rc.conf or do they get added/configured somewhere separately ?

#49 2012-07-30 13:03:43

tomegun
Developer

kaipee wrote:

So do I keep things like sshd, xinted, gdm in the DAEMONS section of rc.conf or do they get added/configured somewhere separately ?

DAEMONS is unchanged. Just keep things there as you did before.

#50 2012-07-30 13:25:51

kaipee

Thanks again tomegun smile

Board footer