You are not logged in.

#51 2012-08-23 06:21:33

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: A bash archlinux install script

Found a problem with the device being loaded and dd'ed it.

Then was able to utilize the script and it worked nicely.

Many thanks for the /dev_install.sh which allows the static ip to be entered.

Sorry for my oops!

Good script to this point.....

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#52 2012-08-23 15:08:35

aichingm

hey just a short post i'm very bissi at the moment...

Mr Green wrote:

Think you need this

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … assignment

For setting up static ip address

Think ifconfig is not used by Arch any more

it (ifconfig) is still used on the install medium

lilsirecho wrote:

Then was able to utilize the script and it worked nicely.

what do you changed to use it? is there any thing  the script could do better?

lilsirecho wrote:

It seems static IP means different things to different people!!!!

what does it mean for you? please explain

Mario

PS: so if dev_install.sh works i will switch it to install.sh! is it ready?^^

#53 2012-09-07 16:57:04

lilsirecho
Veteran

Is mario down?  No ping response from his IP.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#54 2012-09-10 21:33:54

aichingm

BIG sorry!!! I was moving... so i got a new internet connection and an new ip-address and so on. BUT I'm back!!!

#55 2012-09-10 22:01:41

lilsirecho
Veteran

Woot!

#56 2012-09-17 05:07:22

alexjax

Hay!,

Thanks very much for making this and sharing. x

couple of thoughts:

1) How about adding an "Is this correct" question after the local choice since if your in a rush it's easy to make a mistake (i picked GB stupidly instead of Europe-London)
2) Perhaps I'm missing something here but i haven't seen any option to pick a launcher? i run the script, no noticeable errors, exits out after installing 130+ packages then i reboot as instructed, press enter at grub, login then...nothing, as a newbie i question my next move.
3) How bout adding an option to install archey?...cause it's cute.
4) shouldn't the default drive ext be ext4 for everything but the swap with it being ext2?
5) In your instructions you might wanna update it to say "./install.sh" instead of just .install.sh as noober noobs than this noob will get stuck.
6) I didn't have wget so might wanna add in the instructions to run the installer for it "pacman -S wget"
7) oh! and before i forget...why no option to add a new user? after a reboot i had to root-root in and do it manually.
8) no xorg install?

once again thanks muchly! x

Last edited by alexjax (2012-09-17 05:53:36)

CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-8 8120 3.1Ghz | MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | Ram: Corsair 12GB 1866Mhz Red Vengence | GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670 2GB | PSU: Corsair Hx1050 | Cooling: Corsair H100 | Case: Corsair 800D | HDD: Boot HDD OCZ 120GB SSD etc

#57 2012-09-17 06:20:39

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Not sure I like the idea of having to be asked for every setting so simplified script... edit setting/variables then run

Work in progress!

http://pastebin.com/H5WiHGLQ

Mr Green

#58 2012-09-17 12:30:59

aichingm

alexjax wrote:

Hay!,

Thanks very much for making this and sharing. x

couple of thoughts:

1) How about adding an "Is this correct" question after the local choice since if your in a rush it's easy to make a mistake (i picked GB stupidly instead of Europe-London)
2) Perhaps I'm missing something here but i haven't seen any option to pick a launcher? i run the script, no noticeable errors, exits out after installing 130+ packages then i reboot as instructed, press enter at grub, login then...nothing, as a newbie i question my next move.
3) How bout adding an option to install archey?...cause it's cute.
4) shouldn't the default drive ext be ext4 for everything but the swap with it being ext2?
5) In your instructions you might wanna update it to say "./install.sh" instead of just .install.sh as noober noobs than this noob will get stuck.
6) I didn't have wget so might wanna add in the instructions to run the installer for it "pacman -S wget"
7) oh! and before i forget...why no option to add a new user? after a reboot i had to root-root in and do it manually.
8) no xorg install?

once again thanks muchly! x

1: i will add a question at the end of the configuration part if the complete config is ok!

2,3,7,8: this is a global question the script is designed to get this(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_Guide) part of the installation simplified. The big question is to every one out there should the script do more then the installation? here You can set a direction to go on!!! (maybe it is also an option to write a script which handles this part https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … stallation and https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … uide#Extra !!!).

4: I will set the default of / and /home to ext4 but you do not need ext4 on /boot

2ManyDogs wrote:
satanselbow wrote:

Isn't a separate /boot partition considered unnecessary these days? And why ext2 partitioning?

1. Possibly unnecessary but that doesn't make it a bad idea. A separate /home is also unnecessary, yet many people recommend it.

2. ext2 because /boot has few read/write cycles and needs no journal (and a journal takes up space and time).

5: I have not tested it on the new install medium (2012.09.07) but under zsh which was used on the last installmedium the command to start the script was ./install.sh.

6: I have not tested it on the new install medium (2012.09.07) but wget was part of the last install medium (may i have to change this).

Last edited by aichingm (2012-09-17 12:46:17)

#59 2012-09-18 19:23:17

alexjax

Thanks for replying. ;D

I love arch and i've been an intermediate/advanced user of windows now for about 9 years but linix is new to me, never really took an interest in it until now so if i had a script that simply asked me what i wanted and did it then i could use that to get up and running (obviously) and i'd be able to study it for future reference.

I've tried all the usual distros and launchers but i'm just not 100% happy with any of them, i think with arch i can start making some magic happen.

I don't have a very "linuxy" way of thinking, in my opinion if system setup commands are universal then why do people have to type them in all the time? surely it would make more sense to do something that's easy and fast than to spend hours typing out commands to the same end? would it not make more sense to simply have a setup command or install* whatever command that starts up a partition manager, installer, configuration controller etc?

i like the "ultimate installer script" that's on this forum but it doesn't work for me and yours us much easier to use.

A nice clean, basic desktop system base with advanced configuration controls is all i need...i spent 12 hours at the weekend to that end and still don't have the results i need. lol

Last edited by alexjax (2012-09-18 19:24:04)

CPU: AMD Bulldozer FX-8 8120 3.1Ghz | MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | Ram: Corsair 12GB 1866Mhz Red Vengence | GPU: Palit Jetstream GTX 670 2GB | PSU: Corsair Hx1050 | Cooling: Corsair H100 | Case: Corsair 800D | HDD: Boot HDD OCZ 120GB SSD etc

#60 2012-09-19 13:26:24

KairiTech

All this hoopla about an Arch install script is kinda funny. Installing Arch is dead easy. What is not so easy is setting up your install target. MBR, UEFI, GPT, RAID, LVM2, LUKS? The combinations are almost endless. So the "install" script has very little to do to install Arch itself.

Anyway, here's my "install" script that assumes the LVM2 volumes has been configured to run on top of a GPT RAID0 array encrypted with LUKS to boot into a UEFI STUB configured krenel and includes a systemd service to relocate the kernel when it's updated.

"Installing" the LVM2 GPT RAID0 array encrypted with LUKS is beyond the scope of my script but take a look at it anyway.

And if any of you out there are so inclined, it would be great to have a universal install script to get the target drives ready for Arch because that's where the real challenge is. I'm quite sure it's not an Arch specific issue. And a utility that uses dialog instead of Zenity, Qt or a web interface so the install media wouldn't be burdened with the need for X would also be great. I know Archboot provides something like this but it's such a complicated issue that perhaps it should be forked into a seperate branch of its own independant of the actual Arch install.

Last edited by KairiTech (2012-09-20 14:49:04)

#61 2012-09-20 07:49:05

ajaykumar
Website

Very nice script dude, thanks a lot. Script is working fine. I wanted to make a similar script and here it is:)

with regards,
Ajay Kumar G

With regards,
Ajay Kumar G
Nanos Gigantum Humeris Insidentis

#62 2012-12-20 03:17:50

terabytes

great script, great job...

i see some error:

1 - don't have the "swapon" command, with this, does not create swap in fstab file.
2 - if I write the keyboard layout wrong, generates one error and continue, it is weird. (too to other menus)
3 - In the installation, by default, must be installed the packages "dialog" and "wpa_supplicante" for wifi connection, because "wifi-menu" not work without this. (it is my idea).

Sorry my english...

#63 2012-12-21 18:22:25

terabytes

one error in function chroot_into_new_system()

change this:
ln -s $zone_parh /etc/localtime

for it:
ln -s $zone_path /etc/localtime

Board footer