You are not logged in.

#426 2012-11-01 02:20:59

ZekeSulastin

Re: Archlinux is moving to systemd

Well, there's still the move of all binaries to /usr/bin that was planned in the original whyusr email ...

#427 2012-11-01 02:21:07

stryder

@Brain0, thanks. In that case I'll set aside a weekend to do a new installation.

*edit* Oops, just saw Zeke's post...

Last edited by stryder (2012-11-01 02:22:32)

#428 2012-11-01 02:42:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

stryder wrote:

@Brain0, thanks. In that case I'll set aside a weekend to do a new installation.

*edit* Oops, just saw Zeke's post...

I'm not sure exactly what the issue is that you're seeing. Typically on a 'big change' update, you'd have to intervene manually to fix some stuff or other that's not automatically handled (mostly, for example the ck update was pretty seamless). But after you've done the proper intervention, your system should not be any different from a freshly installed system, so I'm not sure why you'd want to go through all the hassle of a new installation (especially if, like some here, the last time you installed was more than half a year ago and everything regarding installation has changed a bit).

Just keep updated, fix things as they come up. As long as you avoid manual hacks or at least keep note of them to revert them later, no big problems should be expected.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#429 2012-11-01 04:19:09

stryder

@ngoonee, yes I understand that. I have several systems and some have been updated over several years. I have no problems with them. Over the years I have made so many changes I cannot keep track of what I have done. And with the recent changes it feels that a lot of configs have also changed. After a while when I look at a new pacnew config I no longer know what I have changed, or what Arch has changed. I add programs, I delete programs but not everything gets deleted. So once in a while I like to start a fresh slate. It is not an issue. But it makes sense to start a fresh slate when the transitions have slowed down back to "normal". If in the next month Arch is going to implement the /usr/bin move, I'd rather wait. But if that is in an unforseeable future then I'll just choose a time when I'm free.

#430 2012-11-01 04:31:42

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

As Archlinux has now moved to systemd, there is no longer any point keeping this thread open.

Closing.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer