You are not logged in.

#351 2015-02-25 03:46:59

motaito

Re: bomi - A powerful and easy-to-use multimedia player!

I think that would be neat. But then you have to filter the possible actions that can be assigned to single click. So that the user can not accidentally assign something that gets messed up when intending a double click. For actions like pause/unpause that would work great. A user generally doesn't mind if the video gets pause/unpaused when entering full screen it happens too fast anyway. I think it would give bomi an extra nice touch if you can add it.

Btw. I really don't mind if the smb password is saved in plain text. As far as I'm concerned it's already ideal. I was thinking that other users maybe are bothered by it. Would it be hard to have it optional and prompt the user for a password in case the field is left empty?

If someone does not want to have a password stored in plain text he could just provide the username. If you don't have to navigate through the preferences or manually enter the entire URL it would still be a very convenient way to handle it. Chances are the user does not know the URL by hart. So people who don't want to safe the password now need to navigate in the file browser to find the file then extract the URL and then enter it in "load URL". It seams more convenient for a user if you just go to the file and start it form there. Then entering a password is a minor addition for loading a video.

I was thinking a case that would cover all bases would be when bomi gets an error loading from a samba share. Pop up a dialog for entering username and password. If the username is in the preferences you can pre-fill the field for username. It would also be a convenient way to open a file on a different pc which requires another username. You could then just enter the username and password for that pc and temporarily override the settings. The only problem would be to distinguish if opening the file fails for another reason than wrong credentials.

#352 2015-02-25 03:57:19

xylosper

I think that would be neat. But then you have to filter the possible actions that can be assigned to single click. So that the user can not accidentally assign something that gets messed up when intending a double click. For actions like pause/unpause that would work great. A user generally doesn't mind if the video gets pause/unpaused when entering full screen it happens too fast anyway. I think it would give bomi an extra nice touch if you can add it.

First of all, I'll try to tell single click from double click. And if I don't think it's feasible in good response time, I can add single click with some caution text.

Would it be hard to have it optional and prompt the user for a password in case the field is left empty?

This is not difficult, I think.

You could then just enter the username and password for that pc and temporarily override the settings. The only problem would be to distinguish if opening the file fails for another reason than wrong credentials.

Exactly. For now, I cannot distinguish failure of authentication from other errors. And I cannot tell anything yet before giving a look for libsmbclient.

Edit: Another issue for single click. If you bind some action to single click, it will mess up DVD/Blu-ray menu navigation because whenever you click an menu on screen, it will trigger bound action.

Last edited by xylosper (2015-02-25 03:59:30)

#353 2015-02-25 04:17:17

motaito

I am very happy with bomi as it is now. The problem is when it's that good one tends to become picky and looks for perfection smile If you think you would like these features as well of course try to add them. I just don't want you to think my requests don't stop. It was more a thought that other users might also like it. It would certainly distinguish bomi from other players. I'll just wait and see what you come up with. I have faith in your skills. I'll check later again. It's 5 o'clock in the morning here and I need to refresh my brain with some sleep smile

#354 2015-02-25 12:25:13

xylosper

Okay, I've implemented an dialog to ask username/password on permission denied. Also since I changed the internal name for username and password options, I think your previus settings for SMB are cleared.

#355 2015-02-25 13:31:33

motaito

The dialog works great but it now always asks for username and password even if they are stored in the settings.

I did:
- sudo pacman -Rsn bomi-git
- packer -S bomi-git

Can it be a conflict with previous settings?

Another issue for single click. If you bind some action to single click, it will mess up DVD/Blu-ray menu navigation because whenever you click an menu on screen, it will trigger bound action.

That's a tricky problem. You would have to suspend single click actions when menu navigation is overlaid on the screen. It might confuse some users or render the feature moot. Depending on the chosen skin the player navigation is always overlaid when the mouse is over the screen. You would have to separate the position where the mouse click happens and only apply single click actions when it's not over any other menu.

#356 2015-02-25 13:50:09

xylosper

Can it be a conflict with previous settings?

No. I made a fix. Please try again.

You would have to suspend single click actions when menu navigation is overlaid on the screen.

I'd like to but again, I have to go deeper to support it because there's no way to figure out the position of on screen menu for now.
Again, I cannot tell whether I can do so or not till looking into the code.

#357 2015-02-25 14:14:57

motaito

No. I made a fix. Please try again.

Works great now! I think that's a nice addition for the users convenience.

I'd like to but again, I have to go deeper to support it because there's no way to figure out the position of on screen menu for now.
Again, I cannot tell whether I can do so or not till looking into the code.

Sure that's no problem at all. Using the middle mouse button for pause/unpause action works just as well. Especially since the issue I had with not reacting properly is on my side with the setup of my mouse. I'd say bomi is pretty perfect now.

#358 2015-02-25 17:55:14

xylosper

Thank you.
FYI, I've just added right click as well as left click. I've taken making left click work with severe delay because I don't want to mess up current generalized mouse behavior options.
Also, left click will be ignored while mouse cursor is in on-screen-menu.

#359 2015-02-25 19:24:20

motaito

It works great. The delay for left click is no problem too. I use it for pause/unpause and it behaves really nice. I think bomi is now the best player out there. Practical, compact and has all the features I was looking for in a player. Awesome!

Thanks again for adding all the features!

#360 2015-03-02 23:16:10

ixi

I noticed clearing the history in the popup-thingy also clears the saved playback positions. That sucks! sad

Feature request: don't save history, and/or keep playback positions seperate from played files.

#361 2015-03-03 17:11:20

xylosper

Well, history is histroy literally. All you did is stored in history.
Why do you need to clear history except resume position?

#362 2015-04-08 11:34:28

edward.81

Question, how i can load subtitle file from command line?

#363 2015-06-08 20:15:49

z0id

Hi! Bomi + MPV = best Linux video player.

I'm having a few issues though:
1. No option for Romanian encoding (ISO-8859-16, or Latin 10) for subtitles.
2. VDPAU decoding doesn't seem to work. It's enabled in settings, console output says "vdpau initialised" but if I play a video and bring up info overlay, it says "hardware acc: unavailable". Works if I open the same file with mpv directly. (What info should I provide?)
3. Some skins are too small on higher DPI displays, e.g. Breeze

/usr/bin/drinking

#364 2016-05-14 14:36:18

Forum_Liker

The project is closed?

#365 2016-08-16 17:06:46

DoTheEvolution

Author is back up, merging few pull requests and putting in new commits, though slowly
bomi-git and bomi AUR packages wont compile for me
and bomi-fresh is rpm package that gets installed, it works in arch in virtual machine, and on my machine when I do quick arch install on a spare drive, but it crashes on playback on my current arch install

annyway, what I am saying is that development moved a bit
also anyone got it to compile?

Last edited by DoTheEvolution (2016-08-16 21:51:04)

Board footer