You are not logged in.

#26 2012-08-31 08:13:50

progandy

Re: Slider: PDF presentations

Trilby wrote:

or do you also want to be able to save the filled in forms with the new data added to the pdf?  The later would not happen (sorry), the former might have chance.

Why not? Since you are using poppler, it wouldn't be too difficult to add a shortcut which saves the pdf as filename.modified.pdf with poppler_document_save. Filling forms is more difficult.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#27 2012-08-31 10:19:51

Army

In what presentation do you need to fill forms in your pdf?!

#28 2012-08-31 10:31:45

progandy

Army wrote:

In what presentation do you need to fill forms in your pdf?!

If you don't want static slides and prefer a flexible way to interact with the audience. There are 2 ways to implement interactive presentations.
1. Prepare formfields and fill them
2. Overlay the presentation with a canvas to draw and write (e.g. with a touchscreen)
( 3. Use other presentation tools like overhead or flipcharts - cant save and distribute results easily )

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#29 2012-08-31 14:19:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

@Army (RE aur), Works for me.  I figured I'd wait a bit to make sure its working smoothly before putting it up, but hey, if unhappy users gripe to you... smile

@Progandy, you're absolutely right.  I had said saving would probably be out before I was familiar with that part of the API.  I wrongly assumed it would take a whole new set of data structures, but its all already built in.  So once form filling is set up, saving the changes will be trivial.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-08-31 14:22:30)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#30 2012-08-31 15:57:52

cfr

Trilby wrote:

I'll experiment a bit with this, but my top priority will remain getting the core functions stable.  I should know better with a week or so whether fillable forms will be feasible, if so I'll probably start that as a separate branch of Slider to keep the "minimalism" of the main project.

That's wonderful news - thank you again. And I obviously appreciate that this is not your top priority.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#31 2012-08-31 15:59:41

cfr

Trilby wrote:

So once form filling is set up, saving the changes will be trivial.

This is even more wonderful news smile.

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#32 2012-08-31 17:52:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

New feature: Slider now has a toggleable fullscreen mode.

It will start in fullscreen mode by default, or if launched with the "-f" parameter it will not start in fullscreen mode.  In either case the default keybinding of 'f' will toggle in and out of fullscreen mode.

The scale of the rendering will not change to fit the window, but this will make it easier to move a slider slideshow to different desktops or workspaces or generally play nicer with your window manager settings.  For example, if you toggle out of fullscreen, you can then use your WM to move the slider window to some other workspace then toggle back into fullscreen.

It will also make it much easier to pull up another application window without having to exit from a presentation.

Aside from these possibilities, I don't imagine slider will be very useful in windowed mode, because the content is still scaled to the screen size.  But this should provide more options and flexibility.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#33 2012-08-31 22:44:32

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Another new feature: VERY basic form filling.  Try it out and see if it works.  I've only tried it on one pdf, so it may fail miserably.  A current limitation is that the rendering thread must be complete before this will work.  You can check by hitting TAB to see the overview.  If you hit the "e" key before rendering is complete it will be quitely ignored (ie, no error message, nothing, just ignored).  Once your document is fully loaded, you can hit "e" then left-click on any editable text area.  Then type in your entry and hit enter to leave edit mode.

In order to test this you must compile slider with

make slider_forms

rather than a regular make.  All the form filling code is in a conditional compile block that is ignored under a normal "make".

I've had some trouble with saving the file, until I'm confident this is safe, Slider will only save output to a file called "/tmp/slider_crap", but it seems to work ... mostly.

Oh, in edit mode, slider does not recognize arrow keys for going back to make changes in the text.  You can type, and you can backspace, but there is no "insert".

Last edited by Trilby (2012-08-31 23:04:47)

#34 2012-08-31 23:08:59

cfr

This is looking very promising. Two issues:
- I couldn't get into full screen mode. It takes up the width of my screen but I've still got the top panel and it is a regular window with window controls. Hitting 'f' makes no difference. This means that the bottom of the screen is also cut off.
- The form-filling works nicely except that when I edit in a text box, what I type appears at the bottom of the box rather than the top and the font is much too small. As soon as I hit enter, the font becomes the usual size (for slides) and the text jumps to the top of the box. So once it is edited, it looks perfect but it is not so good while being edited. (And it jumps down again and becomes very small if I enter editing mode and click in the same box again.)

One thing I really like is the 'e' to switch to an editing mode. Sometimes in acroread, something slightly weird happens and it becomes hard to move forwards by clicking. I suspect it is when there's something on the slide which might (but isn't really) editable. I suspect that's much less likely with the sort of set up you've used. (Though I don't know for sure as I don't even know what causes the issue in acroread.)

EDIT: I cannot get full screen mode even if I start up with -f.

EDIT 2: Just reread the instructions and should have said: I do not get full screen mode by default - it behaves the same with or without -f - and 'f' makes no difference.

Last edited by cfr (2012-08-31 23:13:32)

#35 2012-08-31 23:23:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I do plan on allowing font customization, just haven't gone there yet.  This was more a first-run test of the principle.  If it can work, it can be fine tuned later.

The placement of the text at the bottom of the editable area will be fixed whenever I get around to allowing font customization.  To place the text properly I need to know the font height.

In other words, if the basic function is working, all that fine tuning will come in time without issue.

As for the fullscreen ... I don't know what could have happened.  I just tried it in one floating WM here, and it still worked.  I'll investigate that a bit more.

Edit: you use KDE right?  Do you have other WM's you could test the full screen functionality in to get more data on what the problem could be?

Last edited by Trilby (2012-08-31 23:27:17)

#36 2012-08-31 23:35:56

cfr

The only other one I've got installed is twm. I have been toying with the idea of trying openbox though I'm not sure now is a wise time for me to try that. Do you want me to try in twm? I only used it to test X according to the Beginners' Guide but I assume it still works...

Incidentally, I also compiled a version with the save function enabled. This worked perfectly with my PDF. I copied my own file to /tmp first and just that just in case. (Though if slider screwed my pdf it wouldn't exactly be terrible. I've got the source.) I opened Slider_crap.pdf in okular afterwards and it looked fine. This included the saved text.

When filling in the text box, too, I discovered that it also doesn't wrap - it just goes on beyond the field and eventually off the screen. But, like the font stuff, I assume this is tweaking.

I noticed that links in the pdf don't work for me. Is this by design or am I doing something wrong?

#37 2012-08-31 23:58:57

cfr

Works fine in twm - starts in default full screen mode and I can switch with 'f'.

So it is either KDE or it is something about my config which only gets triggered in KDE. I'm guessing the former. Strange that it worked in full screen mode before but doesn't now there's an option not to. Is there something different about the default-is-full-screen compared to the full-screen-only?

#38 2012-09-01 00:19:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I suspect it is an issue with reparenting window managers.  I'll test that in a moment now that I'm on my computer with some other WMs.

As for the links, they will not work yet.  These go hand in hand with embedded media and scripts.  These will be coming though.

Edit: I tried with openbox, and I did not have the problems you describe.  I did have a different issue though.  It started properly in full screen, and I could toggle in and out just fine, but if I switched to windowed mode, then shrink the window, and go back to fullscreen, Slider no longer draws the full window - only the part that was visible in windowed mode.  I can "fix" this by going back to windowed mode, increasing the window size, then toggling back to fullscreen.  It is very odd.  One more mystery for the list.

Edit2: yup, definitely a problem from reparenting WMs ... another reason I don't like them wink.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-09-01 00:37:59)

#39 2012-09-02 17:51:52

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

New Feature: Drawing Pens

Draw on your presentation with customizable colored "pens" (using the mouse).  The default config uses the number keys (0-9) to select 9 different pens.  Line width and color is fully customizable through the config file and you can have as many different color+width combinations as you can make key bindings for.

Also, I've made some small improvements on form editting.  However I've realized this is taking up almost as much code as the entire remainder of the program and there are still some massive problems to solve.  For single line entry this should be set.  Multiline entry works, but multiline editting does not (ie, once you enter multiple lines in a field, you won't be able to edit them).  And I know of no practical way to do line wrapping effectively.

So, I'm going to have to put aside form editting (sorry cfr).  I've made a separate source file for it, and it has an entry in the makefile.  If anyone wants to pick up on that were I left off, feel free - but beware, that code is hideously ugly and uncommented as I was just throwing things together trying to get it to work.  Currently (since enter can be used for a newline) Tab is used to exit from editting a text field.

#40 2012-09-02 18:25:44

cfr

If I build the forms version now, 'e' no longer allows me to edit form fields. Is that expected?

I still cannot get full screen but I realise you didn't claim to have solved that issue.

EDIT: I can tell kwin to "initially apply" full screen to all windows of title "Slider" and then I get full screen (but cannot switch back). kwin says that it cannot recognise the class or application or type of window which is why I used title even though it recommends not using that.

I quite like the pens although I can't imagine actually using them smile.

Last edited by cfr (2012-09-02 18:34:59)

#41 2012-09-02 19:19:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Ah ... sorry, I removed the "e" keybinding from the config.h when I "cleaned out" the form filling code.

I just implemented an EWMH fullscreen toggle for EWHM window managers and pushed that to github.  I've never done this before, so it is not tested.  I'll test it on Openbox when I get home.  Also, this is not in the form editing version.

The pens were just some easy fun.  I don't know if I'd use them either.

Update I don't want to ditch form filling all together, but it was becoming a burden to the "lightweight" intent of this app.  When I get around to it, I'll clean up the source file with the starts of the form filling code and I'll turn it into an optional patch.  I think it would be cool to have that available, but given the amount of code needed, I don't think it should be in the default build.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-09-02 21:59:32)

#42 2012-09-02 20:02:10

debdj

I tried it a few minutes ago.

Here are the problems I found:

1. Alt + q isn't working. I had to quit manually. (I dont have it set to anything else.)
2. I used it in tabbed mode in i3. When switching tabs, it goes all black/blank. That was being black muted.
3. 'f' isn't working for me.
4. I dont know if am missing something, but none of 'w', 'b' and 'r' seemed to work. Only Space isn't working. And overview isn't updated after the first time until clicked.
I also got this error while trying on a pdf:

Syntax Warning: Could not parse ligature component "inverted" of "breve_inverted" in parseCharName

Here's the pdfinfo output:

Creator:        Scribus 1.3.3.13svn
Producer:       Scribus PDF Library 1.3.3.13svn
CreationDate:   Fri Dec 31 16:37:29 2010
ModDate:        Fri Dec 31 16:37:29 2010
Tagged:         no
Form:           AcroForm
Pages:          34
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      841.89 x 595.28 pts (A4)
Page rot:       0
File size:      4760023 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.5

These pdfs are mags from this site: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/

Other than these, page rendering is very fast.
Creating thumbnails in overview mode takes some time though.

Last edited by debdj (2012-09-02 20:21:46)

#43 2012-09-02 21:10:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

1) I suspect you have numlock on, right?  I just tested, and it seems my numlock mask test isn't working.  I'll patch that up tomorrow.
2) hit "r" to redraw.  Slider does not automatically redraw when the window is moved or resized by the window manager.
3) Fullscreen hasn't worked for any reparenting window managers (like i3).  And the EWMH fullscreen option was just uploaded and untested.  I just tested it, and it failed.  I've now "fixed" it and it works under openbox.  I'll test under i3 in a bit.  If your window manager is reparenting but not EWMH, then you are S.O.L.
4) This probably goes hand in hand with #1.  Either turn off your numlock, or wait for the mask to improve.
4b) The overview is constantly being rendered (updated) until the whole pdf is completely rendered.  But these updates only show on the screen when the screen is refreshed.  It would be a ridiculous resource drain to have the screen constantly being redrawn - and I can't imagine any scenario where one would need the screen to refresh if they aren't interacting with it.  Any interaction will cause a refresh, not just a mouse click.  Any bound keypress, switching in and out of overview mode, etc.

I went to that website.  I couldn't find any PDFs.  I'll definitely try any you can provide links to or email to me, but I'm not going to hunt nor subscribe.

Edit: just tested on i3, Fullscreen "works as advertised" here with the latest update.

Edit: I think the numlock issue shoud be fixed - please test.  Crap!  It seems I "overfixed" it.  Now numlock doesn't get in the way, but all modifiers are ignored.
Edit-more: Oops ... numlock does not use "LockMask" ... that would make too much sense.  That's for caps lock.  Numlock uses Mod2Mask.  Fixed now? *crosses fingers*

Last edited by Trilby (2012-09-02 22:39:15)

#44 2012-09-03 01:21:15

cfr

Trilby wrote:

Update I don't want to ditch form filling all together, but it was becoming a burden to the "lightweight" intent of this app.  When I get around to it, I'll clean up the source file with the starts of the form filling code and I'll turn it into an optional patch.  I think it would be cool to have that available, but given the amount of code needed, I don't think it should be in the default build.

That's great. And I understand it isn't a priority right now. There isn't much point in having it fill forms if the basics aren't reliable, anyway. If there's anything I can do, I'm more than happy to do it. That's probably a fairly limited offer, though. Apart from testing, I'm not sure I would have much to offer... My knowledge of C is essentially non-existent. Entirely non-existent, really. I couldn't make "Hello, world".

#45 2012-09-03 01:23:31

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks, when I have some more worth testing, I'll let you know.

#46 2012-09-03 12:07:39

debdj

Good job!
'f' is working now in both i3 and openbox.
Alt-q is working as well, numlock isn't a problem anymore.
Only space isn't working. I tried both with num on and num off.

The overview is constantly being rendered (updated) until the whole pdf is completely rendered.  But these updates only show on the screen when the screen is refreshed.

Okay, that makes sense.

And here's a link to a pdf from that site: http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/issue64_en.pdf

Last edited by debdj (2012-09-03 12:21:48)

#47 2012-09-03 12:40:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

There is no default binding for space.  What do you want it to do, and what key binding have you added? edit: oops I guess I did list that in the default controls in the README, but I never put it in the config.h.  I've added it now so it should work.  You can also feel free to modify the key bindings to you liking.

I checked out that pdf, thanks.  I did get a series of warnings from poppler like the one you showed, but it loaded and seemed to render just fine.

I get all those same warnings with that pdf with any poppler based tool (e.g. pdftoppm).  Just redirect stderr if they're bothersome.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-09-03 12:59:43)

#48 2012-09-17 22:37:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Slipper is ready.

Slipper is a companion tool to slider.  Slipper takes a simple text file which sets a few options and provides notes for each slide in a pdf presentation*.  Slipper can then activate an external monitor (eg projector) and show the presentation fullscreen on the external monitor by launching Slider and positioning it appropriately while showing a presenter mode display on the local screen.

This presenter display shows the current slide, the next slide, notes associated with the current slide, and progress bars for progress in the presentation and for current/intended duration of the presentation.

The default options are designed to make slipper easy to use so it "just works" without any fancy work on your part.  However, if you have a window manager that handles the external monitor or extended desktop, slipper can be set to keep it's hands off of those settings.  This would require using your window manager actions to position the presentation window properly on the external display and maximize the presenter-mode window.  This option exists to give you more control, however I suspect in most cases allowing slipper to manage the screens for the duration of the presentation will be much easier.  I recommend this for your first trials with slipper to see how it is intended to work.

For those who want *just* the presentation without presenter mode, simply use slider directly.

Slider: pdf presentation tool.
Slipper: wrapper for slider that adds presenter mode and (optionally) manages monitors.

*Note: an example of such a data file is available on github.  This is not installed with an AUR build of slider though.  My next task is to make proper documentation and man pages for slider and slipper.  For now just take a look at the sample file on github.

EDIT Slipper *has not* been tested with any reparenting window managers yet.  I tend to take this for granted as I don't use any reparenting managers.  If you use a reparenter and this fails miserably, please be patient.  I'll test it on openbox and i3 over the next few days.

Last edited by Trilby (2012-09-17 22:40:51)

#49 2012-09-18 09:01:38

juna

Hi,

I gave slipper a try and it looks very nice already.
I noticed two minor issues:
-  if i use the overview mode in slider to jump to a slide, this is not reflected in slipper. If I then use the arrow keys to change slides, slipper picks up the correct slide again.
- if slipper is started without any arguments it just segfaults

anyway, thanks for these handy tools

#50 2012-09-18 09:51:58

skanky

This is exaclty what I needed, many thanks for this.
Haven't had a chance to try on multiple monitors yet, but I'll get round to it soon.

Testing on one monitor I got the same behaviour as juna, BTW.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

Board footer