You are not logged in.

#151 2014-10-01 12:10:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Slider: PDF presentations

The changes were all pushed yesterday so they can be tested any time.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#152 2014-10-01 12:19:25

OdinEidolon

Three things:
1) Seems to work fine for me.
2) I would swap j and k in the default config. k should be forward and j backwards, not as per your previous post
3) Upon updating Slider via AUR, all previous system-wide config is overwritten of course. I have honestly no idea how that is managed, but a .pacnew (or keep the old config in a .pacsave) would be better.

Hardware: 2016 Dell XPS15 - matte FullHD - i5-6300HQ - 32GB DDR4 - Nvidia GTX960M - Samsung 840EVO 250GB SSD - 56Wh
Software: Plasma 5 - rEFInd - linux-ck - preload - prelink - verynice - psd - bumblebee

#153 2014-10-01 14:14:54

progandy

OdinEidolon wrote:

2) I would swap j and k in the default config. k should be forward and j backwards, not as per your previous post

j and k come from the vi keybindings where j is down and k is up. The thought process is like this: next = down = j, and prev = up = k
An alternative would be prev = left = h and next = right = l

Last edited by progandy (2014-10-01 14:15:36)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#154 2014-10-01 14:21:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks prograndy, that is where I got those bindings.  In general I'm open to almost any input, but keybindings are set in a plain-text configuration file - so I really don't revise them to suit anyone's preferences.  I did once upon a time - the default quit key was Ctrl-Q, and I got a rather blunt comment on github complaining how horrible it was an how "every program" uses alt-Q, so I changed it ... only to get another backlash from another user saying it should just be "q" then another insisting that Ctrl-Q was the "one and only standard".

I do very much try to make things easy to customize - so if there are any default settings that any users do not like, I'd happily consider a feature request to make them configurable.  But for those that are already configurable, it's not worth pondering which defaults would be best.

For the pacnew file I'll have to think about that.  It would be trivial to do, but it seems to give the wrong idea.  The /usr/share/slider/config really shouldn't be edited.  It should be copied to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME.  This will be clarified in the much-needed and upcoming man page.  I am considering moving it from /usr/share to /etc/xdg/slider/config which would seem to fit this intended use better.  I do need to check up on which path is the current best practice as I've seen different standards and I'm not sure which ones are older/newer and/or more or less adhered to.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer