You are not logged in.

#26 2012-09-06 19:57:56

bohoomil
Website

Re: Fontconfig confusion.

ppsalama wrote:

if I have 33 xxx.conf files inside /conf.avail/ Do I need to do this 33 times?:

You don't want to both enable and disable a certain feature (or to enable two or more mutually exclusive), do you? /etc/fonts/conf.avail means that you have n config presets available, ready to use. Which of them you are actually going to use is up to you -- that's what /etc/fonts/conf.d is for (or, in special cases, any variants of this naming convention existing in Infinality patches for instance).

Last edited by bohoomil (2012-09-06 20:00:45)

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#27 2012-09-06 20:46:11

asymmetros

Thanks for the helpful comments. I checked again the symlinks i created inside /etc/fonts/conf.d and removed most of the "10's" and "11's".

#28 2012-09-06 23:22:35

ppsalama

bohoomil wrote:
ppsalama wrote:

if I have 33 xxx.conf files inside /conf.avail/ Do I need to do this 33 times?:

You don't want to both enable and disable a certain feature (or to enable two or more mutually exclusive), do you? /etc/fonts/conf.avail means that you have n config presets available, ready to use. Which of them you are actually going to use is up to you -- that's what /etc/fonts/conf.d is for (or, in special cases, any variants of this naming convention existing in Infinality patches for instance).

Thankssss.... I think that now I understand something.
Then I think I have to do what arch news say (about removing .conf files in /conf.d/) and creating the symlinks to .conf files of /conf.avail/ only if I am using someone now or I want to use anyone from now on. I am right?
But, one more question (please thanks) How do I know if I am using any .conf preset from /conf.avail/ ?

thankssss....
and sorry for my english

Last edited by ppsalama (2012-09-06 23:23:50)

#29 2012-09-06 23:44:22

cfr

You're using a config from /etc/fonts/conf.avail/ if there's a symlink pointing to it in /etc/fonts/conf.d. Is that what you mean?

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#30 2012-09-06 23:53:59

cfr

oboedad55 wrote:

I just rebuilt Infinality and all is well now.

Do you mean you no longer get errors from fontconfig? I rebuilt infinality just to test this but I still get errors (which is what I'd expect given the comments above about it needing to be updated):

# fc-cache -f
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/60-group-non-tt-fonts.conf", line 483: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/60-group-tt-fonts.conf", line 262: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/62-tt-monospace-rendering.conf", line 27: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/62-tt-traced-bitmap-rendering.conf", line 21: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/62-tt-traced-bitmap-rendering.conf", line 50: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 16: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 31: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 102: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 119: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 138: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 158: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected

Last edited by cfr (2012-09-06 23:54:18)

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#31 2012-09-07 00:24:41

ppsalama

cfr wrote:

You're using a config from /etc/fonts/conf.avail/ if there's a symlink pointing to it in /etc/fonts/conf.d. Is that what you mean?

Yes. If as arch news say I remove that symlinks before update, some symlinks remain yet in my /conf.d (because now I have more symlinks than related in arch news)
Then I think that the only thing that I have to do is removing what arch news say, then update, and then nothing more (because my "custom" symlinks remain in /conf.d/)
Isn't it?

thankssss

EDIT: I have noticed that in my /etc/fonts/conf.d/ there are 2 .conf files that aren't symlinks. What do I do whith them?

Last edited by ppsalama (2012-09-07 00:34:04)

#32 2012-09-07 00:28:08

luvfree

after updating fontconfig I'm getting this.

[wet@linux ~]$ xscreensaver-demo
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

(xscreensaver-demo:908): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'

I haven't noticed any problems yet just a heads up for those in the know.

Linux only since 2002! Arch Linux only since 2010!
UEFI booting an intel based system trouble free since 2016!

#33 2012-09-07 01:09:22

cfr

ppsalama wrote:

EDIT: I have noticed that in my /etc/fonts/conf.d/ there are 2 .conf files that aren't symlinks. What do I do whith them?

Depends what they are. Do you want them?

#34 2012-09-07 01:53:03

oboedad55

cfr wrote:
oboedad55 wrote:

Do you mean you no longer get errors from fontconfig? I rebuilt infinality just to test this but I still get errors (which is what I'd expect given the comments above about it needing to be updated):

# fc-cache -f
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/60-group-non-tt-fonts.conf", line 483: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/60-group-tt-fonts.conf", line 262: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/62-tt-monospace-rendering.conf", line 27: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/62-tt-traced-bitmap-rendering.conf", line 21: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/62-tt-traced-bitmap-rendering.conf", line 50: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 16: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 31: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 102: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 119: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 138: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/infinality/conf.d/80-selective-rendering-inf-win-lin.conf", line 158: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not works as expected

Yes, that is correct; I get no more errors from Infinality. I have two Arch installs, one with Gnome and one with KDE and they both produce no more errors.

Registered Linux user #436067

#35 2012-09-07 02:23:44

MrCode

I've had to revert to plain old freetype2 due to this issue; I can't seem to make autohinting work no matter what I do.  All my fonts look wide and blurry whenever I install the infinality package, no matter whether I manually add the 10-autohint.conf symlink in /etc/fonts/conf.d, graphically tweak with the hinting settings in xfce4-appearance-settings, or use the infctl tool.

EDIT: now I can't even do that without having ugly fonts; adding an /etc/fonts/local.conf, deleting it after deciding it wasn't worth it, and installing/uninstalling freetype2-infinality and fontconfig-infinality have rendered the default freetype2 config permanently ugly, it would seem.

…so now I have the aforementioned packages installed, and I'm stuck with fonts that look like this.

Last edited by MrCode (2012-09-07 04:00:35)

#36 2012-09-07 03:00:23

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

luvfree wrote:

Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.

(xscreensaver-demo:908): Pango-WARNING **: failed to choose a font, expect ugly output. engine-type='PangoRenderFc', script='common'

Create a $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig directory (if not existing already) and move your ~/.fonts.conf there as fonts.conf.
Usually $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is ~/.config

The warning should then not appear any more.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#37 2012-09-07 07:01:36

ppsalama

cfr wrote:
ppsalama wrote:

Depends what they are. Do you want them?

00kde.conf and 99pdftoopdp.conf ¿? I suppose that if they are there I need them ¿? then?
(thanks cfr)

EDIT: as I read here (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.a … eral/45610) maybe I have to move these 2 files to /conf.avail/ and then create symlinks in /conf.d/ , then all files inside are symlinks as arch news suggests.
What do you think?
thanks again

Last edited by ppsalama (2012-09-07 10:06:05)

#38 2012-09-07 11:20:12

bohoomil
Website

ppsalama wrote:

00kde.conf and 99pdftoopdp.conf ¿? I suppose that if they are there I need them ¿? then?

[...]

maybe I have to move these 2 files to /conf.avail/ and then create symlinks in /conf.d/ , then all files inside are symlinks as arch news suggests.
What do you think?

You can safely leave them where they are. 00kde.conf was created by KDE (I'm not sure about the other one, though) so you don't have to worry about them as they will work correctly. The point of using symlinks instead of copies of the source files is to retain consistency throughout the system and avoid duplicated (or accidentally altered) default settings. If you want to further customize certain parts of your font configuration, you should use special files to serve this purpose; this will come in handy in case you want to introduce further modifications or revert to the defaults. By the way, that's how the things used to work even before fontconfig 2.10.1.

#39 2012-09-07 12:25:32

ppsalama

bohoomil wrote:
ppsalama wrote:

[...]

maybe I have to move these 2 files to /conf.avail/ and then create symlinks in /conf.d/ , then all files inside are symlinks as arch news suggests.
What do you think?

You can safely leave them where they are. 00kde.conf was created by KDE (I'm not sure about the other one, though) so you don't have to worry about them as they will work correctly. The point of using symlinks instead of copies of the source files is to retain consistency throughout the system and avoid duplicated (or accidentally altered) default settings. If you want to further customize certain parts of your font configuration, you should use special files to serve this purpose; this will come in handy in case you want to introduce further modifications or revert to the defaults. By the way, that's how the things used to work even before fontconfig 2.10.1.

thanks bohoomil
now I think I am ready to update fontconfig: the only thing that I have to do is removing what arch news say, then update and nothing more
thanks again

Last edited by ppsalama (2012-09-07 15:58:14)

#40 2012-09-07 13:18:25

luvfree

bernarcher wrote:
luvfree wrote:

Create a $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig directory (if not existing already) and move your ~/.fonts.conf there as fonts.conf.

you mean like this?
mkdir ~./.config/XDG_CONFIG_HOME/
mv ~/.fonts.conf >> ~./.config/XDG_CONFIG_HOME/

#41 2012-09-07 13:40:53

bohoomil
Website

luvfree wrote:

you mean like this?
mkdir ~./.config/XDG_CONFIG_HOME/
mv ~/.fonts.conf >> ~./.config/XDG_CONFIG_HOME/

XDG_CONFIG_HOME = ~/.config, so you eventually want

$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/conf.d
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/fonts.conf

which is

~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d
~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf

See the official manual for details.

Last edited by bohoomil (2012-09-07 13:41:53)

#42 2012-09-07 13:57:23

hepha

cfr wrote:
oboedad55 wrote:

# fc-cache -f

Relevant test of the error so I resolved
http://i.imgur.com/GGCKy.png

Do not post full size images. Read the forum rules. -- Inxsible

Last edited by Inxsible (2012-09-07 14:53:43)

#43 2012-09-07 14:33:21

luvfree

bernarcher wrote:
luvfree wrote:

ok I created ~/.config/fontconfig and moved ~/.fonts.conf there renamed fonts.conf but I still get the warning.
thanks for your help. ^__^
EDIT: after installation of MATE the problem has been rectified.
that's not WHY I installed MATE but I'm guessing it evoked some reconfiguration that rectified the problem.

Last edited by luvfree (2012-09-07 19:02:09)

#44 2012-09-07 15:59:23

ppsalama

removing, updating, rebooting... everything works fine....

NOT SO FINE: I get the same warning than luvfree : Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
And sincerely...  my english and my knowledges of arch are not so good.

from arch wiki:
Note: Configuration files and directories: ~/.fonts.conf, ~/.fonts.conf.d and ~/.fontconfig/*.cache-* are now deprecated and will not be read by default in the future versions of package. Use instead $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/fonts.conf, $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/fontconfig/conf.d and $XDG_CACHE_HOME/fontconfig/*.cache-* respectively.

I only have ~/.fontconfig/ directory with several *.cache-* files inside
I haven't any $XDG_CONFIG_HOME directory

I would like a "step by step" in order to remove this and future warnings (what create, what move...). Trying to learn but I need some help
Graciassss
Thank you very much

#45 2012-09-07 17:38:22

Lennie

ppsalama wrote:

I only have ~/.fontconfig/ directory with several *.cache-* files inside
I haven't any $XDG_CONFIG_HOME directory

I would like a "step by step" in order to remove this and future warnings (what create, what move...). Trying to learn but I need some help
Graciassss
Thank you very much

To se what's your $XDG_CONFIG_HOME directory:

$ echo $XDG_CONFIG_HOME
/home/lennie/.config

Just move ~/.fontconfig to ~/.config/fontconfig

#46 2012-09-07 18:10:48

thisoldman

@ppsalama,

XDG_CONFIG_HOME and XDG_CACHE_HOME are environmental variables.  The values for these variables are usually set automatically, when starting X, from the scripts '/etc/profile.d/xorg.sh' or '/etc/profile.d/xorg.csh'.  There are several ways to find the values that have been set for your user.  These are the simplest, I believe:

$ echo $XDG_CONFIG_HOME  ## See above post by Lennie
/home/casey/.config
$ echo $XDG_CACHE_HOME
/home/casey/.cache

There are other XDG variables.  To see their values, try

$ set | grep XDG

A technical explanation for some of these variables is given at http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedi … atest.html.  The XDG Base Directory system is used to tell the X-Window system where to find different configuration and data files.

#47 2012-09-07 18:26:03

ppsalama

solved for me
the warning
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated
happened when I query in console systemd-analyze plot > plot.svg

I made as you suggest
mkdir ~/.config/fontconfig/
mv  ~/.fonts.conf  ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
and no warning

thank you very much

#48 2012-09-07 19:31:50

ratcheer

AndyRTR wrote:

Why would you want to link several different configs for one setting that conflict/overwrite each other? There's 5 options for subpixel rendering, 2 for hinting and 3 for lcdfilter.

All links from 20-xxx.conf and above are shipped (=enabled) in the package for good reason. The admin should choose the 10-, 11-xxx.conf setting. That can be done by additional linking or in custom systemwide or per user xml config files. See man fonts-conf or our wiki page. With modern TFT screens you probably want to enable (auto-/bytecode)hinting, subpixel-rendering(rgb) and lcd(default). That should give you good fonts in common desktops.

I really appreciate this post. It clears up quite a bit, but not all, of my confusion. Here is my current set of symlinked fonts. I am on a 24" 1920x1080 LED monitor and running the ATI Catalyst driver. Does this set make decent sense? If not, what should be changed?

10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf		  45-latin.conf        65-nonlatin.conf
11-lcdfilter-default.conf	  49-sansserif.conf    69-unifont.conf
20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans.conf  50-user.conf	       70-yes-bitmaps.conf
25-unhint-nonlatin.conf		  51-local.conf        80-delicious.conf
29-replace-bitmap-fonts.conf	  52-infinality.conf   90-synthetic.conf
30-urw-aliases.conf		  57-dejavu-sans.conf  99pdftoopvp.conf
40-nonlatin.conf		  60-latin.conf

Tim

#49 2012-09-08 01:05:09

cfr

bohoomil wrote:

You can safely leave them where they are. 00kde.conf was created by KDE (I'm not sure about the other one, though) so you don't have to worry about them as they will work correctly.

Strange. I don't have 00kde.conf (but I use KDE). Is it possible this is an old configuration file no longer shipped?

The other one is apparently part of cups-filters.

#50 2012-09-08 01:15:51

cfr

ratcheer wrote:

Here is my current set of symlinked fonts. I am on a 24" 1920x1080 LED monitor and running the ATI Catalyst driver. Does this set make decent sense? If not, what should be changed?

10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf		  45-latin.conf        65-nonlatin.conf
11-lcdfilter-default.conf	  49-sansserif.conf    69-unifont.conf
20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans.conf  50-user.conf	       70-yes-bitmaps.conf
25-unhint-nonlatin.conf		  51-local.conf        80-delicious.conf
29-replace-bitmap-fonts.conf	  52-infinality.conf   90-synthetic.conf
30-urw-aliases.conf		  57-dejavu-sans.conf  99pdftoopvp.conf
40-nonlatin.conf		  60-latin.conf

Tim

For whatever it is worth (possibly not much), I have this:

09-texlive-fonts.conf@                  29-replace-bitmap-fonts.conf@  52-infinality.conf@        70-no-bitmaps.conf@
10-autohint.conf@                       30-metric-aliases.conf@        57-dejavu-sans-mono.conf@  80-delicious.conf@
10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf@                  30-urw-aliases.conf@           57-dejavu-sans.conf@       90-synthetic.conf@
11-lcdfilter-default.conf@              40-nonlatin.conf@              57-dejavu-serif.conf@      99pdftoopvp.conf
20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans-mono.conf@  45-latin.conf@                 60-latin.conf@             
20-unhint-small-dejavu-sans.conf@       49-sansserif.conf@             65-fonts-persian.conf@
20-unhint-small-dejavu-serif.conf@      50-user.conf@                  65-nonlatin.conf@
20-unhint-small-vera.conf@              51-local.conf@                 69-unifont.conf@

Note: I am not claiming mine makes better sense. I have no idea. I just thought you might wish to compare. I don't know whether it provides any kind of reassurance.

90-synthetic is arguably evil. I should probably not be using it but I'm not sure how the system will fall back in that case. (I'd like it to substitute a font for which I *do* have real oblique or italics, for example, for all instances of the family but I somehow doubt it will do this.)

Board footer