You are not logged in.

#76 2012-09-16 20:45:40

cfr

Re: Fontconfig confusion.

thisoldman wrote:

@cfr, 
I do not have infinality installed.
If infinality settings are being processed after 30-urw-aliases, infinality's settings will override.  The last file processed is the file that counts.

And the higher number file is processed first, right? So 52-infinality.conf should be processed before 30-urw-aliases.conf and the latter should override the former but somehow does not?

What the file actually does is include infinality/infinality.conf and, hence, a bunch of files in infinality/conf.d which have a range of different numbers. I've been assuming these are all read before fontconfig proceeds to lower numbered fines in /etc/fonts/conf.d but maybe I shouldn't be making that assumption...

XML is hard for humans to parse and no one has ever made a noob-friendly guide for font configuration.  I could sure use that guide.  We all pick up pieces of understanding here and there, solve our immediate problem, and then pray we never have to deal with fontconfig again.

There's something about fonts... or is it the combination of fonts and Linux? Fonts in TeX are at least as weird though in different ways (of course). Mac fonts are difficult to even copy correctly from one place to another. And...

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#77 2012-09-16 22:02:35

cfr

Something about my config (which is basically infinality's on top of defaults) seems really odd:

fc-match "Times New Roman"
<lots of infinality errors>
times.ttf: "DejaVu Serif" "Normal"

fc-match "Times"
<errors>
DejaVuSerif.ttf: "DejaVu Serif" "Book"

What?!

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#78 2012-09-16 23:34:55

bohoomil
Website

What do you get when you issue

fc-list "DejaVu Serif"

?

The first thing I'd do: clean your generic fontconfig directory, i.e. /etc/fonts/conf.d, leaving there only what's really necessary (depending on the complexity of your desktop, this means as little as 49-sansserif.conf, 50-user.conf, 51-local.conf and 52-infinality.conf). When you have installed freetype2 with Infinality patches and Infinality fontconfig files, than most of the standard fontconfig settings will be either duplicated by Infinality, or mutually exclusive. When you're done with it, go through the Infinality fontconfig files and check if they reflect the state of your font stock. I believe there must be some sort of inconsistency in your font configuration, hence the confusion above. Restart your X and see if what you see is a bit closer to what you'd like to get.

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

#79 2012-09-16 23:49:26

cfr

Mmm... maybe that's part of the problem:

fc-list "DejaVu Serif"

/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVuSerifCondensed.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed,Book
/usr/local/texlive/current/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/dejavu/DejaVuSerif.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Book
/usr/local/texlive/current/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/dejavu/DejaVuSerif-Italic.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Italic
/usr/local/texlive/current/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/dejavu/DejaVuSerif-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVuSerifCondensed-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold,Bold
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVuSerif-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVuSerif.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Book
/usr/local/texlive/current/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/dejavu/DejaVuSerifCondensed.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed,Book
/usr/local/texlive/current/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/dejavu/DejaVuSerif-BoldItalic.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Bold Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVuSerifCondensed-Italic.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Italic,Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVuSerif-BoldItalic.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Bold Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVuSerifCondensed-BoldItalic.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold Italic,Bold Italic
/usr/local/texlive/current/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/dejavu/DejaVuSerifCondensed-Bold.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold,Bold
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVuSerif-Italic.ttf: DejaVu Serif:style=Italic
/usr/local/texlive/current/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/dejavu/DejaVuSerifCondensed-BoldItalic.ttf: DejaVu Serif,DejaVu Serif Condensed:style=Condensed Bold Italic,Bold Italic

I'm guessing it is not a good thing to have multiple instances of fonts on the system.

Anyway, I'll have a go at clearing things up, as you suggested, and report back. Thanks!

EDIT: I will report back but I'm still working on it... (Mostly because ugly fonts keep getting pushed down my priority list...)

Last edited by cfr (2012-09-23 22:38:45)

#80 2012-09-17 06:09:53

32reg

@android_808, thanks! With conky-colors all working perfectly

Board footer