You are not logged in.

#26 2005-09-01 17:14:55

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: I don't know whether to blame pacman or a package

laddiebuck wrote:

If the concept of system-critical packages doesn't exist in pacman, then maybe it should be added. There are certain packages for which there is no inconceivable benefit in allowing them to be removed. Sure, an advanced user might want to, but you could just give the advanced user a chance to do it in pacman.conf. The concept of system-critical packages that by default can't be removed is definitely a good one, and exists in some other package managers.

We currently have default HoldPkg designations for glibc and pacman.  If you like, you can add initscripts and others to the HoldPkg list, and pacman will do a double-take if you try to --remove one of them.

#27 2005-09-01 18:31:00

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

That's a scary avatar, sir

#28 2005-09-01 22:31:01

laddiebuck

Righto. Thanks for your explanation, phrakture. I'm not offended.
Anyways, I'll distil the idea into a feature request and file it. Thank you all!

#29 2005-09-01 22:45:38

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

laddiebuck wrote:

Righto. Thanks for your explanation, phrakture. I'm not offended.
Anyways, I'll distil the idea into a feature request and file it. Thank you all!

I think the HoldPkg feature should do exactly what you need, assuming you throw the proper packages in there.... different packages are system critical to different machines - for instance, apache is critical to a web server, but not to a desktop.  I think the HoldPkg thing (which I've never used, beyond the default) should suffice.

#30 2005-09-02 00:35:18

sepht

dibblethewrecker wrote:
sepht wrote:

My only issue is that it touchs the config file, the package seems to be including an rc.conf.. yet I don't see why it should, there's no evident difference between the one in the CVS and the default one(unless I missed something)

Hmmmm, so I guess you think there is some magical way that pacman can only uninstall half a pkg before installing a new pkg over the top?

There is supposed to be a warning when you remove initscripts-gensplash to remind you to install another initscripts pkg, but it seems it was broken - it was fixed yesterday.

Just as a side note: maybe you should change your thread title to "I don't know whether to blame pacman, a package or myself"

What I'm saying is it shouldn't even TOUCH rc.conf from what I can see.

#31 2005-09-02 08:07:51

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Well, that's nothing to do with me is it, which is what you initimated. That's a pacman issue, plain and simple.

Board footer