You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-20 09:23:06

swapnil360

[SOLVED] Offline Installation Help

I'm new to Arch. It's just 2 days since I've downloaded the iso. I installed it and it worked really nice. However, I messed up the system trying out some experiments.

Now I want to reinstall it. I have my /var/cache/pacman/pkg folder backed up. Is there a way I can skip the humongous download and install these? My ISP gives me really low bandwidth speeds. Thanks in advance. big_smile

Last edited by swapnil360 (2012-09-23 11:11:34)

#2 2012-09-20 10:41:22

ajaykumar
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Offline Installation Help

Hi swapnil360,

I always do offline installation. Use repoadd to create your custom repo on your dvd and install it when required. Check Pacman Tips for more details.

Also How to create a Custom Repo

With regards,
Ajay Kumar G

With regards,
Ajay Kumar G
Nanos Gigantum Humeris Insidentis

#3 2012-09-20 10:49:47

DSpider

Or the one above that (since you already downloaded them): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … _USB_stick

But "base" and "base-devel" is only about 150 MiB.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-09-20 10:56:57)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-09-21 05:32:56

swapnil360

ajaykumar wrote:

Hi swapnil360,

I always do offline installation. Use repoadd to create your custom repo on your dvd and install it when required. Check Pacman Tips for more details.

Also How to create a Custom Repo

With regards,
Ajay Kumar G

Thanks a lot! I bookmarked this thread for future reference as well!

DSpider wrote:

Or the one above that (since you already downloaded them): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … _USB_stick

But "base" and "base-devel" is only about 150 MiB.

I know. But my ISP is really bad. It took pactrap 1.5-2 hours to do it's job tongue

#5 2012-09-21 06:04:16

ajaykumar
Website

Hi swapnil360,

Whatever Dspider has told is fine. Just ignore the downloading thing (as you have already downloaded) and follow the other steps mentioned in the wiki.

Let us know if you encounter any problems in doing it.

With regards,
Ajay Kumar G

#6 2012-09-21 13:24:26

ANOKNUSA

It may be far more worthwhile to determine what the problem you created is and solve it, rather than start over from scratch.  If every time you make a mistake you simply erase it Dick Jones-style, you'll lose the opportunity to learn from it.

#7 2012-09-21 14:44:32

ajaykumar
Website

Hi ANOKNUSA,

Very nice suggestion indeed. I mean its worth while mentioning that when we do mistakes, we do learn things only if we try to rectify it.:-) Thanks dude:)

With regards,
Ajay Kumar G

#8 2012-09-22 15:51:47

swapnil360

ajaykumar wrote:

Hi swapnil360,

Whatever Dspider has told is fine. Just ignore the downloading thing (as you have already downloaded) and follow the other steps mentioned in the wiki.

Let us know if you encounter any problems in doing it.

Thanks a lot for your concern. I don't think I'm going back to Ubuntu or Fedora after using Arch big_smile

ANOKNUSA wrote:

It may be far more worthwhile to determine what the problem you created is and solve it, rather than start over from scratch.  If every time you make a mistake you simply erase it Dick Jones-style, you'll lose the opportunity to learn from it.

I know how to solve it. I had the backups of the original files I've changed as well but I was short of time. The changes were so much that reinstallation (without download) was a quicker option smile

Board footer