You are not logged in.

#976 2013-12-24 09:50:32

chip2n
Member
Registered: 2013-12-24
Posts: 4

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

id0827502 wrote:
3xOSC wrote:

I had the same problem when installing bspwm yesterday. After you startx, quit BSPWM and you might see an error written after the Xorg stuff. For me, the problem was that the panel script had relative references to other scripts, which depended on the location you executed it from.

If there's no error, post your panel script(s) and bspwmrc.

Nothing when I quit bspwm. Just to be sure, I did a

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

but nothing stood out.

Panel scripts and bspwmrc are stock standard from the examples folder except my bspwmrc file has

panel &

at the end of it.

Are you sure the PATH is set up correctly before launching BSPWM? Try 'which panel >> /home/USER/testpanel' before 'exec bspwm' in .xinitrc and check if the location of the panel script is known.

Offline

#977 2013-12-24 10:09:19

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

id0827502 wrote:

my bspwmrc file has

panel &

at the end of it

Could you replace that line by:

panel > ~/.panel.log 2>&1 &

and post the content of ~/.panel.log?


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#978 2013-12-24 10:23:05

id0827502
Member
Registered: 2013-08-15
Posts: 12

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

chip2n wrote:
id0827502 wrote:
3xOSC wrote:

I had the same problem when installing bspwm yesterday. After you startx, quit BSPWM and you might see an error written after the Xorg stuff. For me, the problem was that the panel script had relative references to other scripts, which depended on the location you executed it from.

If there's no error, post your panel script(s) and bspwmrc.

Nothing when I quit bspwm. Just to be sure, I did a

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE

but nothing stood out.

Panel scripts and bspwmrc are stock standard from the examples folder except my bspwmrc file has

panel &

at the end of it.

Are you sure the PATH is set up correctly before launching BSPWM? Try 'which panel >> /home/USER/testpanel' before 'exec bspwm' in .xinitrc and check if the location of the panel script is known.

It is indeed known.

echo $PANEL_FIFO

gives me /tmp/panel-fifo

bloom wrote:
id0827502 wrote:

my bspwmrc file has

panel &

at the end of it

Could you replace that line by:

panel > ~/.panel.log 2>&1 &

and post the content of ~/.panel.log?

All it says is "The panel is already running."

I thought that somehow, somewhere, another unconfigured panel was running so I commented out the panel line in bspwmrc, killall panel then super + esc but pstree showed no panel process tied to init. Tried logging out of my tty session and logging back in but still the same results. I'm pretty lost at this point.

Last edited by id0827502 (2013-12-24 10:26:35)

Offline

#979 2013-12-24 10:44:52

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

id0827502 wrote:

All it says is "The panel is already running."

I thought that somehow, somewhere, another unconfigured panel was running so I commented out the panel line in bspwmrc, killall panel then super + esc but pstree showed no panel process tied to init. Tried logging out of my tty session and logging back in but still the same results. I'm pretty lost at this point.

I think it would be better if you just restart your operating system.

And post the content of ~/.panel.log afterwards.

Last edited by bloom (2013-12-24 10:45:19)


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#980 2013-12-24 10:53:56

id0827502
Member
Registered: 2013-08-15
Posts: 12

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bloom wrote:
id0827502 wrote:

All it says is "The panel is already running."

I thought that somehow, somewhere, another unconfigured panel was running so I commented out the panel line in bspwmrc, killall panel then super + esc but pstree showed no panel process tied to init. Tried logging out of my tty session and logging back in but still the same results. I'm pretty lost at this point.

I think it would be better if you just restart your operating system.

And post the content of ~/.panel.log afterwards.

Ha, weird. Restarted and it appears as expected.

Thanks!

Offline

#981 2013-12-24 11:45:23

Ploppz
Member
Registered: 2013-09-14
Posts: 167

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

I have recently installed Arch (Fresh install) on my desktop, and I have been running Arch on my laptop for quite a while. There are some issues that I have on my desktop that I don't have on my laptop.
My gpu (according to lspci): Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Pitcairn PRO [Radeon HD 7850].
I have xf86-video-ati and mesa installed.

1. Can't open windows in floating mode. Here is from sxhkdrc:

super + shift + t
    bspc rule -a termite --floating --one-shot; \
    termite -x 0.7

It just opens termite as a tiled window.

2. Preselection does not work when tiling a floating window. When I do a preselection and by keybinding execute bspc windows -t floating, the window that is being tiles is added to the binary tree using automatic mode. I am sure I am preselecting correctly as it shows on the colour of the border.

3. Resizing windows is really slow. Especially if one of the windows is a graphical program. Wondering if it has with hardware acceleration to do. I notice that the X process uses a lot of cpu when resizing.

4. Steam is really really bugged. Menus and pop-up windows flicker a lot and sometimes completely disappear if I'm not moving my mouse above it. Another issue with it that I'm also experiencing on my laptop: Sometimes, additional windows like chat windows hang and their user interface stops working, while closing the window (using keybindings) it also shuts down Steam. Not sure if you can help me with this in particular though.

Last edited by Ploppz (2013-12-24 11:45:38)

Offline

#982 2013-12-24 11:46:53

th3voic3
Member
Registered: 2012-03-20
Posts: 90

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

id0827502 wrote:

Ha, weird. Restarted and it appears as expected.

Thanks!

I had this, too when quitting with super + esc. So I changed the command for super + esc to:

pkill -x panel; bspc quit

Works for me.

Offline

#983 2013-12-24 13:15:06

id0827502
Member
Registered: 2013-08-15
Posts: 12

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

th3voic3 wrote:
id0827502 wrote:

Ha, weird. Restarted and it appears as expected.

Thanks!

I had this, too when quitting with super + esc. So I changed the command for super + esc to:

pkill -x panel; bspc quit

Works for me.

I will keep this in mind. I've found that when you exit bspwm with super + alt + esc, then startx again, the panel doesn't re-appear. It's not until you kill the old process and then startx again from tty that it re-appears.

Processes hanging off panel process on initial startx:

bar
bspc
cat
clock
panel_bar
xtitle

Processes hanging off panel after super + alt + esc, then a startx again:

bar
cat
clock
panel_bar

Not sure if it's a bug or not.

Also, on another note, my windows overlap the panel. Any way to overcome this?

Offline

#984 2013-12-25 04:17:30

robstwd
Member
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2010-10-31
Posts: 32

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Ploppz wrote:

3. Resizing windows is really slow. Especially if one of the windows is a graphical program. Wondering if it has with hardware acceleration to do. I notice that the X process uses a lot of cpu when resizing.

Have a look at this post re mouse polling and the linked pages - this fixed it for me. Unfortunately, this setting needed to be reverted when playing games in steam etc (a 'toggle' type script for mouse polling did the trick).

Ploppz wrote:

4. Steam is really really bugged. Menus and pop-up windows flicker a lot...

I had some similar issues with Steam that resolved as soon as I made a rule for it to be fullscreen. Worth a try maybe...

bspc rule -a Steam follow=on fullscreen=on

Last edited by robstwd (2013-12-25 04:25:30)

Offline

#985 2013-12-25 04:33:05

robstwd
Member
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2010-10-31
Posts: 32

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

id0827502 wrote:

Also, on another note, my windows overlap the panel. Any way to overcome this?

In bspwmrc try adjusting the top_padding setting:

bspc config top_padding 10

Offline

#986 2013-12-25 04:49:46

id0827502
Member
Registered: 2013-08-15
Posts: 12

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

robstwd wrote:
id0827502 wrote:

Also, on another note, my windows overlap the panel. Any way to overcome this?

In bspwmrc try adjusting the top_padding setting:

bspc config top_padding 10

That worked a treat. Thanks heaps!

Offline

#987 2013-12-25 09:15:35

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

As of 471fd2c, the {top,right,bottom,left}_padding settings are desktop settings.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#988 2013-12-27 19:39:54

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Ploppz wrote:

1. Can't open windows in floating mode. Here is from sxhkdrc:

super + shift + t
    bspc rule -a termite --floating --one-shot; \
    termite -x 0.7

As mentioned earlier, the syntax changed.

This:

bspc rule -a termite --floating --one-shot

is now written:

bspc rule -a termite -o floating=on

gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#989 2013-12-27 19:44:52

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

robstwd wrote:

Unfortunately, this setting needed to be reverted when playing games in steam etc (a 'toggle' type script for mouse polling did the trick).

There's now an option in sxhkd to specify the maximum frequency of motion events.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#990 2013-12-28 09:51:02

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

The pull and push arguments to window -e DIR were removed: use the pixels delta instead:

super + alt + {h,j,k,l}
    bspc window -e {left -10,down +10,up -10,right +10}

super + alt + shift + {h,j,k,l}
    bspc window -e {right -10,up +10,down -10,left +10}

Frames are gone: just use the padding settings.

You can now move and resize floating windows via xdo:

super + {Left,Right,Up,Down}
    xdo move {-x -20,-x +20,-y -20,-y +20}

super + alt + {Left,Right,Up,Down}
    xdo resize {-w -20,-w +20,-h -20,-h +20}

There's now separate padding settings for monitors and desktops (the values add up).


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#991 2013-12-28 09:55:20

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

The pseudo_tiled window state is available as of 48e0043


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#992 2013-12-28 16:46:57

earsplit
Member
Registered: 2012-03-31
Posts: 187
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bloom wrote:

The pseudo_tiled window state is available as of 48e0043

Thanks a bunch! This is exactly what i've been looking for.

Last edited by earsplit (2013-12-28 16:59:25)


((( configs :: website )))

Offline

#993 2013-12-28 18:00:06

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

earsplit wrote:
bloom wrote:

The pseudo_tiled window state is available as of 48e0043

This is exactly what i've been looking for.

I'm glad I could hit the right note.

And thanks for the generous donation!


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#994 2013-12-28 21:12:53

robstwd
Member
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2010-10-31
Posts: 32

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bloom wrote:

There's now an option in sxhkd to specify the maximum frequency of motion events.

Thank you very much bloom for your prodigious care and attention to detail smile

Offline

#995 2013-12-28 21:23:30

3xOSC
Member
Registered: 2013-03-18
Posts: 107

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Is it possible to have a rule for desktop 2, and only desktop 2 whereby everytime i open a terminal, it is floating and is a certain size that i want it to be?

I guess what i'm looking for here is a per-desktop-rule

Offline

#996 2013-12-28 23:27:16

earsplit
Member
Registered: 2012-03-31
Posts: 187
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bloom wrote:
earsplit wrote:
bloom wrote:

The pseudo_tiled window state is available as of 48e0043

This is exactly what i've been looking for.

I'm glad I could hit the right note.

And thanks for the generous donation!

You've been very helpful and this tool has saved me many hours of pain at work. A few ideas / "is this possibles or sane"

1) Resizing pseudo-tiled windows as if they were floating. Right now, in order to resize a pseudo-tiled window, you have to toggle float, size it how you want, and then toggle pseudo tile.
2) Create a new container called a "subtree" (like HLWM's frames) that you could move between desktops.  Every desktop is a subtree "container".  Lets say I have a subtree on desktop 4 containing eight terminals with SSH clients running, and a subtree on desktop 8 containing Weechat and Mutt.  I would want to move the first subtree holding the ssh clients next to the subtree with Weechat and Mutt. To emulate the current behaviour, every desktop defaults to one subtree and you wouldn't have to even worry about it.  All settings that applied to a desktop could be changed to a subtree setting, like window gaps, desktop padding, flip, rotate, balance, circulate, etc.

Thanks again and happy holidays!

Last edited by earsplit (2013-12-28 23:27:43)


((( configs :: website )))

Offline

#997 2013-12-29 10:02:05

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

earsplit wrote:

1) Resizing pseudo-tiled windows as if they were floating.

Agreed: f2ece80.

earsplit wrote:

2) Create a new container called a "subtree" (like HLWM's frames) that you could move between desktops.  Every desktop is a subtree "container".  [...] To emulate the current behaviour, every desktop defaults to one subtree and you wouldn't have to even worry about it.  All settings that applied to a desktop could be changed to a subtree setting, like window gaps, desktop padding, flip, rotate, balance, circulate, etc.

I like the idea.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#998 2013-12-29 19:20:08

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

tonk wrote:

Whereas this doesn't work as (I) expected. Only one value from the last {} is recognized

super + alt + {j,k}
    bspc window -e down {+,-}20 || \ 
    bspc window -e up   {+,-}20

Here's a working version:

super + alt + {j,k}
    S={+,-}; \
    bspc window -e down $\{S\}20 || \
    bspc window -e up   $\{S\}20

gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#999 2013-12-30 10:12:25

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

3xOSC wrote:

I guess what i'm looking for here is a per-desktop-rule

At the moment, the only related functionality is desktop DESKTOP_SEL -t floating.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#1000 2013-12-30 16:29:09

Stebalien
Member
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 1,218
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bloom wrote:
3xOSC wrote:

I guess what i'm looking for here is a per-desktop-rule

At the moment, the only related functionality is desktop DESKTOP_SEL -t floating.

He can also use a custom rules script.

[[ "$2" == "Termite" ]] && [[ "$(bspc query -D -d)" == "Two" ]] && echo "floating=on"

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB