You are not logged in.

#1201 2014-03-31 10:02:01

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

cju wrote:
~/button{4,5}
   bspc desktop -f {prev,next}

Anyone out there who could confirm that this actually works with the latest sxhkd version (123)?

Confirmed, it works copy-pasted from your code, sxhkd (123).

Offline

#1202 2014-03-31 10:38:49

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

cju wrote:

If I write the following to my sxhkdrc, I cannot switch workspaces by scrolling over the root window (desktop)

The problem originates from focus_follows_pointer.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#1203 2014-03-31 16:33:28

angelic_sedition
Member
Registered: 2014-01-20
Posts: 124
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Stebalien wrote:

You can subscribe to events:

bspc control --subscribe | awk -F ':' '$<n> ~ /^[FO]/ { exit(system("<cmd>")); }'

Where <n> is the desktop number + 1 and <cmd> is the command. If you have multiple monitors, <n> will be the desktop number + the monitor number. (You can also just awk by desktop name.)

Thanks; this works perfectly.

lamurian wrote:
cju wrote:
lamurian wrote:

sorry for being a total noobs, but i don't quite understand on how to update it hmm would you mind sharing your configuration file?

Just pull in the new script files (https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm/co … 92263ae4ec) or merge the changes manually by yourself...

yay! you rock guys!!

http://s7.postimg.org/xyz7igfkq/new_bar.jpg

thanks a bunch :cheers

Can someone explain to me the colouring syntax from the old configuration so I can get my old colours back? i.e. in "  sys_infos="\\br\\f7${line#?}"  " from the old panel_bar?

Offline

#1204 2014-03-31 18:04:35

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

angelic_sedition wrote:

Can someone explain to me the colouring syntax from the old configuration so I can get my old colours back? i.e. in "  sys_infos="\\br\\f7${line#?}"  " from the old panel_bar?

Take a look at the old documentation here.
The default colors in bar are those defined in the config.def.h file.

Offline

#1205 2014-03-31 19:20:10

cju
Member
Registered: 2013-06-23
Posts: 194

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bloom wrote:
cju wrote:

If I write the following to my sxhkdrc, I cannot switch workspaces by scrolling over the root window (desktop)

The problem originates from focus_follows_pointer.

Thanks for your answer. So… you mean it is just technically impossible to use both features at the same time? hmm If so, could you please provide a quick technical explanation for this?

@o_caino: Thanks for confirming though. wink

Offline

#1206 2014-03-31 20:33:21

bhamhawker
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 4

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Ok, I have been fighting with bpswm for a few hours now, trying to get panel to run.

Here's where I'm at:

I have followed the "dummies" guide.
When I start bpswm, I get a blank screen. The default sxhkd bindings work, so I can load terminals, firefox, et. al.
Panel, however, does not run automatically, wheter I append "panel &" to bspwmrc, .xinitrc, bspwm-session, etc.
I can run panel from a terminal, though, so I know that my PATH setup is correct and that panel is installed correctly.

I do use Slim as my login manager, and I have attempted both the explicit "exec bspwm" route and the xsessions route for starting bpswm. Neither way manages to load panel correctly.

I've seen a few other posts about similar issues, but haven't been able to replicate their success in fixing the problem.

Anyone have any advice\suggestions on what to do?

Offline

#1207 2014-03-31 21:32:25

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Have you checked the optional dependencies for the example panel scripts?

Offline

#1208 2014-03-31 21:41:25

bhamhawker
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 4

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

o_caino wrote:

Have you checked the optional dependencies for the example panel scripts?

Actually did that already because originally I didn't have conky installed. Fixed that, and now panel runs fine when I start it from terminal. I just can't get it to run after logging in.

Offline

#1209 2014-03-31 21:46:58

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bhamhawker wrote:

Actually did that already because originally I didn't have conky installed.

Conky? Conky is not a dependency.

Optional Deps  : sxhkd-git: to define keyboard and pointer bindings
                 xtitle-git: for the example panels
                 sutils-git: for the example panels
                 bar-aint-recursive: for the example bar panel
                 dzen2: for the example dzen2 panel
                 txtw-git: for the example dzen2 panel
                 sres-git: for the example dzen2 panel
                 ttf-dejavu: for the example dzen2 panel
                 xwinfo-git: for the example rules
                 lua: for the example rules
                 lua-posix: for the example rules

Offline

#1210 2014-03-31 21:58:56

bhamhawker
Member
Registered: 2014-03-21
Posts: 4

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

o_caino wrote:
bhamhawker wrote:

Actually did that already because originally I didn't have conky installed.

Conky? Conky is not a dependency.

Optional Deps  : sxhkd-git: to define keyboard and pointer bindings
                 xtitle-git: for the example panels
                 sutils-git: for the example panels
                 bar-aint-recursive: for the example bar panel
                 dzen2: for the example dzen2 panel
                 txtw-git: for the example dzen2 panel
                 sres-git: for the example dzen2 panel
                 ttf-dejavu: for the example dzen2 panel
                 xwinfo-git: for the example rules
                 lua: for the example rules
                 lua-posix: for the example rules

Ah, I thought it was since I kept getting an error about conky not being installed.

I do have all of the above installed and up to date.

Offline

#1211 2014-04-01 18:34:58

angelic_sedition
Member
Registered: 2014-01-20
Posts: 124
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

bhamhawker wrote:
o_caino wrote:

Have you checked the optional dependencies for the example panel scripts?

Actually did that already because originally I didn't have conky installed. Fixed that, and now panel runs fine when I start it from terminal. I just can't get it to run after logging in.

I'm having the same problem after updating to the most recent bar. It won't start with panel & at the end of my bspwmrc, but it will start from the terminal.

Offline

#1212 2014-04-01 21:48:02

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Grabbed the last version of the example scripts from bloom's github? Do you get any output, errors, logs...? Post as much information as possible, please.

Forum etiquette wrote:

When asking questions, provide as much information as possible, including error messages, terminal output, logs, what you have previously tried, what documentation and searches you have attempted, and related configuration files.

Last edited by o_caino (2014-04-01 22:34:53)

Offline

#1213 2014-04-01 23:01:09

angelic_sedition
Member
Registered: 2014-01-20
Posts: 124
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

o_caino wrote:

Grabbed the last version of the example scripts from bloom's github? Do you get any output, errors, logs...? Post as much information as possible, please.

Forum etiquette wrote:

When asking questions, provide as much information as possible, including error messages, terminal output, logs, what you have previously tried, what documentation and searches you have attempted, and related configuration files.

Sorry; I've got it working fine. The problem was that I had accidentally remove an & from a previous line and panel & was never executed. (which I think may be a possible problem for the other person if it's working fine from the terminal)

I do have a question about the loop examples though. What exactly is supposed to happen after hitting super + alt + escape (the default binding)? I have everything set up exactly as in the example, but all it does is causes the current window to freeze. Windows opened after that will stack on top of the frozen window. It won't allow me to switch to monocle or to another desktop without killing that frozen window first (after that everything goes back to normal behaviour). If I do super + alt + escape followed by super + shift + alt + escape and starting bspwm again, nothing happens. I've checked that BSPWM_HISTORY (and tree and stack) all echo the right paths. The one thing I'm doing differently is exporting them in my .zshrc (zsh is my login/default shell). Is that a problem?

Last edited by angelic_sedition (2014-04-01 23:03:08)

Offline

#1214 2014-04-01 23:12:53

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Try this

super + alt + {shift + ,_}Escape
	{bspc quit 1,\
	 bspc query -T > "$BSPWM_TREE"; \
	    bspc query -H > "$BSPWM_HISTORY"; \
	    bspc query -S > "$BSPWM_STACK"; \
	    bspc quit}

Offline

#1215 2014-04-02 02:10:47

angelic_sedition
Member
Registered: 2014-01-20
Posts: 124
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

o_caino wrote:

Try this

super + alt + {shift + ,_}Escape
	{bspc quit 1,\
	 bspc query -T > "$BSPWM_TREE"; \
	    bspc query -H > "$BSPWM_HISTORY"; \
	    bspc query -S > "$BSPWM_STACK"; \
	    bspc quit}

Even with the stack part included and that format, I get the same strange behaviour (selection stops working; I had windows open on two desktops at the time and could switch between only those two and the desktops on my bar disappear). My bspwmrc is, in fact, reloaded (I tested by turning off floating and changing the window gap), but everything only works on newly spawned windows. The old windows stay in the same location but stop working with selection and such, and the new windows open above/over the old ones. After killing them, all new windows work as expected. I've tried restarting and doing this several times.

Last edited by angelic_sedition (2014-04-02 02:11:41)

Offline

#1216 2014-04-02 09:12:43

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

angelic_sedition wrote:

The old windows stay in the same location but stop working with selection and such, and the new windows open above/over the old ones.

This happens to me only if I comment out this in my bspwmrc

if [ -e "$BSPWM_TREE" ] ; then
	bspc restore -T "$BSPWM_TREE" -H "$BSPWM_HISTORY" -S "$BSPWM_STACK"
	rm "$BSPWM_TREE" "$BSPWM_HISTORY" "$BSPWM_STACK"
fi

Offline

#1217 2014-04-03 00:30:29

angelic_sedition
Member
Registered: 2014-01-20
Posts: 124
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

o_caino wrote:
angelic_sedition wrote:

The old windows stay in the same location but stop working with selection and such, and the new windows open above/over the old ones.

This happens to me only if I comment out this in my bspwmrc

if [ -e "$BSPWM_TREE" ] ; then
	bspc restore -T "$BSPWM_TREE" -H "$BSPWM_HISTORY" -S "$BSPWM_STACK"
	rm "$BSPWM_TREE" "$BSPWM_HISTORY" "$BSPWM_STACK"
fi

I have this exactly at the beginning of my bspwmrc. I have also tried with it at the end. Does the location matter? When I put it at the end, everything froze up, so I had to control+alt+f3 then login and kill x, and after that, it gave me a bunch of "can't locate window 0x2C00046"s and said "can't parse history entry 'LVD" though I don't know if any of that is relevant. Even when I use the default config files, I can't get it working.

Offline

#1218 2014-04-03 10:05:29

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

angelic_sedition wrote:

Does the location matter?

I guess it's better to have it near the end, or at last after bspc monitor [...] creates the desktops, so the tree is properly loaded.
Could you post your config files?

Offline

#1219 2014-04-05 00:19:11

Jeremy
Member
Registered: 2013-10-25
Posts: 1

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

I'm having a problem where floating windows are appearing behind tiling windows, and if I bring them to the foreground then left clicking on them sends them behind tiling windows again.

Left click is bound to this:

bspc pointer -g focus

(and running the above from a terminal has the same effect, so it's not caused by something else bound to the mouse)

It doesn't happen when I first start bspwm, something triggers it (idk what though).
It's started before after unlocking (slock) after restoring from hibernation, and also just now when I set a youtube video to fullscreen.
It seems to have fixed itself without me restarting bspwm this time (I was on a desktop with floating windows but no tiling windows, not sure if that's what fixed it, I'll try to reproduce it next time it happens).

Has anyone else encountered this?

Offline

#1220 2014-04-05 10:33:12

easysid
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-01-01
Posts: 242

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Is there a way to set the workspace layout as floating, so that all the existing and new windows on it are floating (basically a non tiling mode)? One may loop through the window list and set each to floating, but it won't work for a new window that is opened or sent to that workspace.

Offline

#1221 2014-04-05 20:07:32

ict
Member
Registered: 2007-05-01
Posts: 44

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

You can define a "catch-all" rule with "*" and activate it when you switch to the desktop.

Offline

#1222 2014-04-06 13:33:25

Ploppz
Member
Registered: 2013-09-14
Posts: 172

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

When tiling a floating window, can I preselect where it will be tiled? That would be awesome. Currently not a feature. Same with starting programs: I would love to be able to preselect where to put them.

Offline

#1223 2014-04-06 19:20:44

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Ploppz wrote:

When tiling a floating window, can I preselect where it will be tiled?

First preselect the area you want to put the window, and then you can use something like this in your sxhkdrc

bspc window -t floating; bspc window -w last.manual
Ploppz wrote:

Same with starting programs: I would love to be able to preselect where to put them.

This is possible. Just preselect the splitting area of the selected window and launch your program.

Offline

#1224 2014-04-08 20:12:53

Stebalien
Member
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 1,227
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

o_caino wrote:
Ploppz wrote:

When tiling a floating window, can I preselect where it will be tiled?

First preselect the area you want to put the window, and then you can use something like this in your sxhkdrc

bspc window -t floating; bspc window -w last.manual

Even better (no flicker):

bspc window -t floating -w last.manual

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Offline

#1225 2014-04-08 20:32:48

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Wow, I didn't know it was possible to combine options like this.
Thanks Stebalien!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB