You are not logged in.

#1226 2014-04-08 23:31:21

agahnim
Member
Registered: 2013-07-03
Posts: 151

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

I have an issue. I am running a laptop with an optimus setup (which works perfectly by the way)
it is all stock, but in BSPWM I am no longer able to play any games. There is some type of glitch where the video playback is stuck on the first frame and will not update past that. The game will be running properly and the sound will work and I can navigate menus ( I know this from the audio) but the screen is black unless it is one of the few games where I can still use my key bindings, in which the game will update to the current frame at the time of the switch from full screen to windowed or any change in focus, but will be frozen on that screen. There seem to be no errors logged, and I can run games fine on the integrated card and emulators seem to be unaffected , but non-steam games that I have binaries for like Xonotic are also fail to output video properly under bspwm only when used with the Nvidia card. The thing is, everything runs perfectly fine under gnome and cinnamon because I installed them both to test it and for some playing around and it all worked flawlessly. This has worked under bspwm before, and it is within the last month that something went wrong. Again no errors or anything seem to be reported, but if you guys have any ideas of something I should check please let me know. Its not a dire issue as I haven't the time to play games much which is why I cannot pin point the time when it stopped working, but it is inconvienent and I just want to let everyone know incase someone has a similar problem or some knowledge of what may be the matter.

Offline

#1227 2014-04-09 18:58:39

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

agahnim wrote:

This has worked under bspwm before, and it is within the last month that something went wrong.

If it's an issue caused by bspwm and you don't know the exact version I would suggest the following:
Check pacman.log and try to find the last installed commit that worked. With this information, you can run a git bisect to find out the offending commit that introduced the bug. bspwm compiles in a couple of seconds, so It will be a matter of minutes.

Offline

#1228 2014-04-09 22:38:52

agahnim
Member
Registered: 2013-07-03
Posts: 151

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

^ @o_caino Thank you very much, I will be attempting this as soon as possible, however I am going to be very busy for at least a couple of days. As soon as I am able to isolate the problem or I find out anything, I will let everyone know. smile

Offline

#1229 2014-04-12 15:53:09

Ploppz
Member
Registered: 2013-09-14
Posts: 172

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Stebalien wrote:
o_caino wrote:
Ploppz wrote:

When tiling a floating window, can I preselect where it will be tiled?

First preselect the area you want to put the window, and then you can use something like this in your sxhkdrc

bspc window -t floating; bspc window -w last.manual

Even better (no flicker):

bspc window -t floating -w last.manual

This only works if I preselect before opening the floating window. If I open the window, then preselect, it has no effect.

Offline

#1230 2014-04-12 16:41:23

Stebalien
Member
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 1,218
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Which window are you preselecting (/how are you preselecting it)? It works here.


Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Offline

#1231 2014-04-13 17:46:28

Ploppz
Member
Registered: 2013-09-14
Posts: 172

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Oh, after I updated system it works!

However, a problem with bspwm has occured: When I untile a tiled window, It looks as if nothing happened at all, but at once when I try to resize the untiled window, it instantly gets resized to its floating size, while the eventual other tiled windows stay in place until they are also resized by mouse; then they also swap into place and fill the space that the floating window left.

Edit: Seems that also, when I try to tile a window the same happens: No windows are updated until they are each one of them resized using mouse. Here is my sxhkdrc: http://bpaste.net/show/ZU255f6Mn7eEUN9IHZK1/

Edit 2.. of course this has with what I was trying to achieve (preselecting floating windows) to do. My problem happens when I haven't preselected. Any way to check if there's an active preselection, or do you know a better way?

Edit 3: It all resolved when I made super + s two lines instead of one:

super + s
    bspc window -t floating;\
    bspc window -w last.manual

Maybe you want to look into it (the shorthand version being bugged).

Last edited by Ploppz (2014-04-13 18:52:38)

Offline

#1232 2014-04-15 20:45:39

aoba
Member
Registered: 2013-08-30
Posts: 63

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

I have a new issue, courtesy of the Gnome 3.12 update.  If certain Gnome programs (nautilus and file-roller are the ones I have noticed) detect a running composite manager on startup, appear to use their window's area to paint their own shadow:

http://i.imgur.com/XoW5Do2.jpg

The window's size (from xwininfo) is the area inside the white border.  The outer transparent area does not register mouse clicks, but the area closer in - where you can see the shadow - is used a handle for resizing.

In any case, I have two low-priority feature requests...:

- A rule to hide borders on a per-window basis (e.g. bspc rule --add Nautilus border=false)
- A rule to pretend that a window is X px bigger than it is (e.g. bspc rule --add Nautilus inset=-20)

...or a request for ideas from the thread as to how I can make nautilus look less dumb.  I would prefer to keep window borders if possible - they help me see which program has focus -  but hey maybe there are alternative ways to accomplish that as well.

Offline

#1233 2014-04-15 20:58:37

Stebalien
Member
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 1,218
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

aoba wrote:

I have a new issue, courtesy of the Gnome 3.12 update.  If certain Gnome programs (nautilus and file-roller are the ones I have noticed) detect a running composite manager on startup, appear to use their window's area to paint their own shadow:

http://i.imgur.com/XoW5Do2.jpg

The window's size (from xwininfo) is the area inside the white border.  The outer transparent area does not register mouse clicks, but the area closer in - where you can see the shadow - is used a handle for resizing.

In any case, I have two low-priority feature requests...:

- A rule to hide borders on a per-window basis (e.g. bspc rule --add Nautilus border=false)
- A rule to pretend that a window is X px bigger than it is (e.g. bspc rule --add Nautilus inset=-20)

...or a request for ideas from the thread as to how I can make nautilus look less dumb.  I would prefer to keep window borders if possible - they help me see which program has focus -  but hey maybe there are alternative ways to accomplish that as well.

https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm/issues/133
Also, for now, you could write a custom rules script that queries the _MOTIF_WM_HINTS property using xprop and disables border-drawing based on it's value.

-- edit:
Actually, you can just add this to your gtk3 theme:

.window-frame, .window-frame:backdrop {
  box-shadow: 0 0 0 black;
  border-style: none;
  margin: 0;
  border-radius: 0;
}

.titlebar {
  border-radius: 0;
}

Last edited by Stebalien (2014-04-16 14:56:42)


Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Offline

#1234 2014-04-16 16:38:42

aoba
Member
Registered: 2013-08-30
Posts: 63

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Those gtk3 edits got me partway there.  The shadow is gone and the margin (?) is a little smaller.  I will have to mess around with it more.

Thanks for the tip!

Offline

#1235 2014-04-16 18:57:22

Stebalien
Member
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 1,218
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

aoba wrote:

Those gtk3 edits got me partway there.  The shadow is gone and the margin (?) is a little smaller.  I will have to mess around with it more.

Thanks for the tip!

That might be due to your GTK3 theme. You can use gtkparasite-gtk3-git from the AUR to inspect the window borders.


Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Offline

#1236 2014-04-16 21:06:17

aoba
Member
Registered: 2013-08-30
Posts: 63

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Nope, it is due to me being a doofus.  I commented out the original .window-frame stuff, but failed to notice that there was a comment inside one of those blocks.  I am a little surprised that my first edit appeared to work at all.  Nautilus looks nice again.

Still, it is weird to have to edit the theme like this.  Gnome 3, as far as I remember, allowed one to tile windows to the left and right half of the screen without any gaps.  Is there maybe a way to communicate to a window that it is tiled?

This small block in the theme's css that got my hopes up for this:

.window-frame.tiled {
    border-radius: 0;
}

but I could just be projecting.

Offline

#1237 2014-04-16 23:32:32

Stebalien
Member
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 1,218
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

aoba wrote:

Nope, it is due to me being a doofus.  I commented out the original .window-frame stuff, but failed to notice that there was a comment inside one of those blocks.  I am a little surprised that my first edit appeared to work at all.  Nautilus looks nice again.

Still, it is weird to have to edit the theme like this.  Gnome 3, as far as I remember, allowed one to tile windows to the left and right half of the screen without any gaps.  Is there maybe a way to communicate to a window that it is tiled?

This small block in the theme's css that got my hopes up for this:

.window-frame.tiled {
    border-radius: 0;
}

but I could just be projecting.

Bspwm would have to somehow tell GTK that it was tiling the window (probably doable but I have no idea how to do it). Regardless, while GTK (the window) can tell bspwm (the window manager) that it wants to draw its own decorations, it would be nice if there were a way for the window manager to tell the window "no really, I'm drawing the decorations, fsck off."


Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Offline

#1238 2014-04-17 23:17:49

Dragon707
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 61
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Hi,

I'm pretty net to the BSPWM, and like the automatic and manual tiling (also the uselassgaps what i missed in i3). But i have a few questions about the BSPWM:

- Is it possible to let the focus follows the mouse (Like i3wm does) instead of clicking on the windows for focussing ?
- Is there any feature or application like the i3-nagbar (i tried running i3-nagbar in bspwm, but it looks horrible) ?


ArchLinux is Awesome

GitHub   •   Dotfiles   •   Contact me   •   DELETE...!

Offline

#1239 2014-04-17 23:23:25

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Dragon707 wrote:

- Is it possible to let the focus follows the mouse (Like i3wm does) instead of clicking on the windows for focussing ?

bspc config focus_follows_pointer true

Offline

#1240 2014-04-17 23:41:58

Dragon707
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 61
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

o_caino wrote:
Dragon707 wrote:

- Is it possible to let the focus follows the mouse (Like i3wm does) instead of clicking on the windows for focussing ?

bspc config focus_follows_pointer true

Cool! Thanks for your answer :-)

EDIT:

Just an other question about the BAR, i've seen an awesome dotfiles condig here: https://github.com/esn89/dotfiles

But when i try to add the arrow thingys and icons it renders this: \f4\b7⮂, so how can i get those font icons ?

Last edited by Dragon707 (2014-04-18 18:54:00)


ArchLinux is Awesome

GitHub   •   Dotfiles   •   Contact me   •   DELETE...!

Offline

#1241 2014-04-19 10:26:45

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Dragon707 wrote:

But when i try to add the arrow thingys and icons it renders this: \f4\b7⮂, so how can i get those font icons ?

\f4\b7 is bar's old syntax. To get the icons you must use the same font this guy uses.

Offline

#1242 2014-04-19 10:47:54

Dragon707
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 61
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

o_caino wrote:
Dragon707 wrote:

But when i try to add the arrow thingys and icons it renders this: \f4\b7⮂, so how can i get those font icons ?

\f4\b7 is bar's old syntax. To get the icons you must use the same font this guy uses.

Great, thanks!

A question about these fonts: is there any place where i can find that kind of fonts with the icons in it ?


ArchLinux is Awesome

GitHub   •   Dotfiles   •   Contact me   •   DELETE...!

Offline

#1243 2014-04-19 16:21:17

angelic_sedition
Member
Registered: 2014-01-20
Posts: 124
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Dragon707 wrote:
o_caino wrote:
Dragon707 wrote:

But when i try to add the arrow thingys and icons it renders this: \f4\b7⮂, so how can i get those font icons ?

\f4\b7 is bar's old syntax. To get the icons you must use the same font this guy uses.

Great, thanks!

A question about these fonts: is there any place where i can find that kind of fonts with the icons in it ?

Uushi has an installation script, and there is a list of the icons in it so you can copy and paste them. Stlarch also has some nice icons and is in the aur. If you download it from source forge, it comes with instructions for viewing and generating the symbols.

Last edited by angelic_sedition (2014-04-19 18:44:32)

Offline

#1244 2014-04-20 18:11:49

PieterGen
Member
From: Groningen, NL, EU
Registered: 2012-01-18
Posts: 59

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Hi guys, is bspwm able to do this? My ideal scenario for watching Youtubes small and "full screen":

1. Watch the youtube small, inside it's own window
2. Watch the youtube full screen inside it's own window (so actually 'full window', LOL)
3. Watch the youtube full screen inside the 'real estate that's available for windows' (meaning, allmost classic 'full screen' except for status bar(s), if any)
4. Classic full screen: the video uses all pixels

All wms have 1. and 4.  I am looking for the other two possibilities.

This is important to me, sometimes I give presentations and  especially 2. ('full window') would be great, to show the audience a Youtube without losing the big picture of my presentation (which stays visible in different, smaller windows)

I'm using OpenBox and i3 at the moment (and played with many others, of which I liked Musca a lot). I have no experience with bspwm but I am intrigued and this feature alone would be enough to switch over :-)   ... so please give me the excuse to sink hours in yet another wm  peope :-)

Offline

#1245 2014-04-20 18:21:22

Dragon707
Member
From: The Netherlands
Registered: 2013-06-04
Posts: 61
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

I guess yes is the answer for all questions, see screenies:

!!WARNING!! Screenshots are +-6mb, sorry for that :-)

PieterGen wrote:

1. Watch the youtube small, inside it's own window

Here: http://kutwinter.nl/kevin/screenshots/b … _scrot.png

PieterGen wrote:

2. Watch the youtube full screen inside it's own window (so actually 'full window', LOL)

Here: http://kutwinter.nl/kevin/screenshots/b … _scrot.png

PieterGen wrote:

3. Watch the youtube full screen inside the 'real estate that's available for windows' (meaning, allmost classic 'full screen' except for status bar(s), if any)

Not sure how to do that yet (still expirimenting with BSPWM).

PieterGen wrote:

4. Classic full screen: the video uses all pixels

Here: http://kutwinter.nl/kevin/screenshots/b … _scrot.png


ArchLinux is Awesome

GitHub   •   Dotfiles   •   Contact me   •   DELETE...!

Offline

#1246 2014-04-20 19:35:51

Stebalien
Member
Registered: 2010-04-27
Posts: 1,218
Website

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

PieterGen wrote:

3. Watch the youtube full screen inside the 'real estate that's available for windows' (meaning, allmost classic 'full screen' except for status bar(s), if any)

You can use the monocle layout.


Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

Offline

#1247 2014-04-20 20:19:21

PieterGen
Member
From: Groningen, NL, EU
Registered: 2012-01-18
Posts: 59

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Thanks Dragon707 and Stebalien. The screenshots look great and will surely work for what I want - and yet it's not completely what i want. Maybe my question was not clear enough. What I mean by nr. 2 (full window) is what you see here (this screenie)http://i3wm.org/screenshots/i3-9.png

Full "screen" Youtube - so without all chrome - inside a window  Edit: yes I know it's an i3 pic. Is this possible in bspwm?

moderator edit [ewaller] Converted img tags to url tags for over sized picture
edit2 [ewaller] I am told I broke the link, thanks for the heads up.  Fixed. Sorry about that

Last edited by ewaller (2014-04-20 21:52:32)

Offline

#1248 2014-04-20 20:39:44

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Please, post only thumbnails.
Your screenshot shows mplayer, not Youtube.

Offline

#1249 2014-04-20 22:07:56

PieterGen
Member
From: Groningen, NL, EU
Registered: 2012-01-18
Posts: 59

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

@ewaller Sorry for the link, thanks for fixing.
@ o_caino Yes, it shows mplayer, this was the closest pic I could find  I'd like to see the same with youtube (or ANY app), that is: have the app "full screen", so no chrome such as titles, bars, tabs, etc - but inside its own window/container.

Thanks.  Hints ?

Offline

#1250 2014-04-20 22:23:06

o_caino
Member
Registered: 2013-06-06
Posts: 159

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

You can use mpv or vlc (maybe also mplayer, I don't know) to stream a Youtube URL. The result would be the same.

Edit: combine your video player of choice with youtube-dl

Last edited by o_caino (2014-04-20 22:35:37)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB