You are not logged in.

#1401 2014-09-19 22:32:52

J.

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

Do you have a 'bspc monitor -d' command or something similar running after that one?

#1402 2014-09-19 22:33:33

o_caino

netfun81 wrote:

I added "bspc desktop ^1 -l monocle"  to bspwmrc and then logged off and back on.

Are you opening the windows on your first desktop?

netfun81 wrote:

The first window opens full width but when opening a second window it tiles the first.

Are you sure it's "full width" (i.e. without borders)? Because that sounds like tiling mode...
Then I guess the command is not executed. Check your bspwmrc, search typos, invalid commands, etc. If it seems correct to you post it here.

#1403 2014-09-19 22:48:10

netfun81

Do you have a 'bspc monitor -d' command or something similar running after that one?

yes that was it.  Makes sense now.  Thanks o_caino and J.

#1404 2014-09-20 13:11:16

attheicearcade

I'm getting terrible performance when resizing windows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDJeua06kHg

I read earlier in this thread that it could be something to do with mouse polling rate, mine is stuck at 1000 Hz (Deathadder, the drivers do not change the frequency properly). My sxhkd runs with -f 30, so that shouldn't be the cause, right? Setting -f to something like 5 makes it a slideshow (of course) but it still has huge delay as in the video.
I do not have a compositor running: with compton for example, the performance is much worse.

#1405 2014-09-20 13:32:12

J.

I never noticed before, but I get this too - only when a resize operation resizes 10 or so windows at once, though.  The Xorg.bin process is at 100% CPU (with bspwm at around 25-30%).

#1406 2014-09-22 03:17:44

ttz

Was anyone able to successfully use bar-aint-recursive to display workspaces dependent on which monitor was active?

For example, I would like the portion of bar on Screen 0 to display only the workspaces of Screen 0, while the portion of bar on Screen 1 displays only the workspaces of Screen 1, and highlights them according to their focused/unfocused state.

I recall reading an idea from bloom on the mailing list about duplicating the fifo stream, but I thought I'd shoot in the dark and wonder if anyone has an already existing example to work from.

Thanks for any tips!

Character shines in the great moments, but is polished in the little ones.

#1407 2014-09-22 18:20:54

bloom
Website

ttz wrote:

Was anyone able to successfully use bar-aint-recursive to display workspaces dependent on which monitor was active?

You could try the following:

[Mm]*)
	[ -n "$wm_infos" ] && wm_infos="${wm_infos}%{S+}"

gh · da · ds

#1408 2014-09-23 01:28:29

instantepiphany

attheicearcade wrote:

I read earlier in this thread that it could be something to do with mouse polling rate, mine is stuck at 1000 Hz (Deathadder, the drivers do not change the frequency properly). My sxhkd runs with -f 30, so that shouldn't be the cause, right? Setting -f to something like 5 makes it a slideshow (of course) but it still has huge delay as in the video.
I do not have a compositor running: with compton for example, the performance is much worse.

By "... drivers do not change the frequency properly" do you mean you tried the fix that mah0 found, and I confirmed; https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 9#p1349709

And that didn't work, or do you mean you haven't tried that?

#1409 2014-09-23 02:58:13

ttz

bloom wrote:
ttz wrote:

You could try the following:

[Mm]*)
	[ -n "$wm_infos" ] && wm_infos="${wm_infos}%{S+}"

Thanks for the elegant idea smile Never even thought of doing it this way, ended up just line breaking the fifostream at the monitor name and parsing each line into different variables.

Character shines in the great moments, but is polished in the little ones.

#1410 2014-09-23 18:09:29

attheicearcade

instantepiphany wrote:
attheicearcade wrote:

By "... drivers do not change the frequency properly" do you mean you tried the fix that mah0 found, and I confirmed; https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 9#p1349709

And that didn't work, or do you mean you haven't tried that?

I mean that neither modprobe.conf or razercfg have an effect on polling rate. I can change everything in razercfg: it displays polling rate: 125Hz, but the polling rate is always detected as 1000Hz in evhz. I'm sure that this is the cause, but my question really was why is it still lagging when sxhkd has a 30 Hz maximum frequency for motion events?

#1411 2014-09-23 19:48:50

Kolibry

Hi,

I'm trying to get into bspwm but didn't really get bar to work  properly hmm

Here is what I got : https://mediacru.sh/8VpJ3gogP_Z_

panel :

#! /bin/sh
if [ $(pgrep -cx panel) -gt 1 ] ; then
printf "%s\n" "The panel is already running." >&2
exit 1
fi
trap 'trap - TERM; kill 0' INT TERM QUIT EXIT
[ -e "$PANEL_FIFO" ] && rm "$PANEL_FIFO"
mkfifo "$PANEL_FIFO"
bspc config top_padding $PANEL_HEIGHT
bspc control --subscribe > "$PANEL_FIFO" &
#xtitle -sf 'T%s' > "$PANEL_FIFO" &
#clock -sf 'S%a %H:%M' > "$PANEL_FIFO" &
. panel_colors
cat "$PANEL_FIFO" | panel_bar | bar -g x$PANEL_HEIGHT -f "$PANEL_FONT_FAMILY" -F "$COLOR_FOREGROUND" -B "$COLOR_BACKGROUND" &
wait

panel_bar :

#! /bin/sh
#
# Example panel for LemonBoy's bar
. panel_colors
num_mon=$(bspc query -M | wc -l)
while read -r line ; do
case $line in
S*)
# clock output
sys_infos="%{F$COLOR_STATUS_FG}%{B$COLOR_STATUS_BG} ${line#?} %{B-}%{F-}"
;;
T*)
# xtitle output
title="%{F$COLOR_TITLE_FG}%{B$COLOR_TITLE_BG} ${line#?} %{B-}%{F-}"
;;
W*)
# bspwm internal state
wm_infos=""
IFS=':'
set -- ${line#?}
while [ $# -gt 0 ] ; do
item=$1
name=${item#?}
case $item in
M*)
# active monitor
if [ $num_mon -gt 1 ] ; then
wm_infos="$wm_infos %{F$COLOR_ACTIVE_MONITOR_FG}%{B$COLOR_ACTIVE_MONITOR_BG} ${name} %{B-}%{F-} "
fi
;;
m*)
# inactive monitor
if [ $num_mon -gt 1 ] ; then
wm_infos="$wm_infos %{F$COLOR_INACTIVE_MONITOR_FG}%{B$COLOR_INACTIVE_MONITOR_BG} ${name} %{B-}%{F-} "
fi
;;
O*)
# focused occupied desktop
wm_infos="${wm_infos}%{F$COLOR_FOCUSED_OCCUPIED_FG}%{B$COLOR_FOCUSED_OCCUPIED_BG}%{U$COLOR_FOREGROUND}%{+u} ${name} %{-u}%{B-}%{F-}"
;;
F*)
# focused free desktop
wm_infos="${wm_infos}%{F$COLOR_FOCUSED_FREE_FG}%{B$COLOR_FOCUSED_FREE_BG}%{U$COLOR_FOREGROUND}%{+u} ${name} %{-u}%{B-}%{F-}"
;;
U*)
# focused urgent desktop
wm_infos="${wm_infos}%{F$COLOR_FOCUSED_URGENT_FG}%{B$COLOR_FOCUSED_URGENT_BG}%{U$COLOR_FOREGROUND}%{+u} ${name} %{-u}%{B-}%{F-}"
;;
o*)
# occupied desktop
wm_infos="${wm_infos}%{F$COLOR_OCCUPIED_FG}%{B$COLOR_OCCUPIED_BG} ${name} %{B-}%{F-}"
;;
f*)
# free desktop
wm_infos="${wm_infos}%{F$COLOR_FREE_FG}%{B$COLOR_FREE_BG} ${name} %{B-}%{F-}"
;;
u*)
# urgent desktop
wm_infos="${wm_infos}%{F$COLOR_URGENT_FG}%{B$COLOR_URGENT_BG} ${name} %{B-}%{F-}"
;;
L*)
# layout
wm_infos="$wm_infos %{F$COLOR_LAYOUT_FG}%{B$COLOR_LAYOUT_BG} ${name} %{B-}%{F-}"
;;
esac
shift
done
;;
esac
printf "%s\n" "%{l}${wm_infos}%{c}${title}%{r}${sys_infos}"
done

I did everything said in "bspwm for dummies", export variables, even in different places (/etc/profile, /etc/zsh/zprofile)

When i echo $PANEL_FIFO, I get /tmp/panel-fifo.

I don't see what's wrong with bar displaying that stuff.

And yeah I know it seems to have a problem with my external screen (i'm on a laptop), but I guess there's another problem smile

Any help is appreciated, thanks smile

Asus 1225B - 11,6" -  AMD E-60 Dual Core 1,3Ghz - 4 Go RAM - Disque dur SSD 128 Go -  Radeon HD6290
ArchLinux Openbox - My Github

#1412 2014-09-23 21:55:15

o_caino

Kolibry wrote:

I don't see what's wrong with bar displaying that stuff.

Is bar up to date?

#1413 2014-09-24 05:23:01

Kolibry

Yes it is.

Asus 1225B - 11,6" -  AMD E-60 Dual Core 1,3Ghz - 4 Go RAM - Disque dur SSD 128 Go -  Radeon HD6290

#1414 2014-09-24 09:12:07

o_caino

Sorry for my insistence... try this

echo "%{F#FF00FF00}up to date%{F-}    \\b5 outdated" | bar -p

which one is colored?

#1415 2014-09-24 14:37:37

Kolibry

There is no color at all, very strange hmm

Edit : OK, there was something with bar, I removed then re-installed it and now it works. Thanks big_smile

Last edited by Kolibry (2014-09-24 14:50:32)

#1416 2014-09-24 17:31:52

earsplit
Website

I just recently switched over to OSX and immediately got BSPWM up and running under XQuartz. Things are working pretty well but there are a couple weird things I've seen so far / would like some guidance on. Thanks for supplying the brew packages. They made this installation super simple

1) Mouse is only registered if i hold down CTRL and click
2) Toggling urxvt back and forth between monocle and tiled leaves these white artifacts all over the terminal. The terminal also flashes this white color when I resize / move any item in the grid. Is this an .Xresources setting I'm missing? Here's a screenshot of before toggled monocle and after: http://imgur.com/a/LSgcW

((( configs :: website )))

#1417 2014-09-24 21:10:36

bloom
Website

earsplit wrote:

I just recently switched over to OSX and immediately got BSPWM up and running under XQuartz.
1) Mouse is only registered if I hold down CTRL and click
2) Toggling urxvt back and forth between monocle and tiled leaves these white artifacts all over the terminal. The terminal also flashes this white color when I resize / move any item in the grid.

I'm afraid it might have something to do with XQuartz.

At the moment, I wouldn't recommend using bspwm within XQuartz.

gh · da · ds

#1418 2014-09-24 21:47:01

earsplit
Website

bloom wrote:
earsplit wrote:

I just recently switched over to OSX and immediately got BSPWM up and running under XQuartz.
1) Mouse is only registered if I hold down CTRL and click
2) Toggling urxvt back and forth between monocle and tiled leaves these white artifacts all over the terminal. The terminal also flashes this white color when I resize / move any item in the grid.

I'm afraid it might have something to do with XQuartz.

At the moment, I wouldn't recommend using bspwm within XQuartz.

It's mostly usable besides these two issues. I also haven't been able to get mouse resizing working. Are there any plans to look into these issues, or should I abandon all hope and install DWM?

Last edited by earsplit (2014-09-24 21:49:58)

#1419 2014-09-25 09:37:31

bloom
Website

earsplit wrote:

It's mostly usable besides these two issues. I also haven't been able to get mouse resizing working.

I can't reproduce 1) or 2) and I can resize windows.

But I get a sluggish resizing experience.

I tried dwm: the same remark applies.

XQuartz has a user mailing list.

Last edited by bloom (2014-09-25 11:34:40)

gh · da · ds

#1420 2014-09-25 17:03:10

Kolibry

It's me again smile

I'm on a external monitor, not using my netbook's screen, and I just can't get it working properly.

Here is what I get :

https://mediacru.sh/PNTlSzoTeR36

Monitor is set up via xinitrc : xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1920x1080 --output LVDS --off

I have no errors, but if I click in the empty area that is not filled by my windows, the next app I will start will be resized correctly hmm

Thanks for any help !

#1421 2014-09-26 00:21:44

earsplit
Website

bloom wrote:
earsplit wrote:

It's mostly usable besides these two issues. I also haven't been able to get mouse resizing working.

I can't reproduce 1) or 2) and I can resize windows.

But I get a sluggish resizing experience.

I tried dwm: the same remark applies.

XQuartz has a user mailing list.

I fixed both of them. The mouse was broken because I had copied over an old sxhkd configuration (duh!) The flashing terminals was caused by

bspc config borderless_monocle true

There is still a sluggish resizing experience. Do you think this is due to XQuartz somewhere? Is there anyway to benchmark / debug to find the bottleneck? This is still more functional then TMUX for me.

Last edited by earsplit (2014-09-26 00:22:21)

#1422 2014-09-26 09:16:22

bloom
Website

earsplit wrote:

Do you think this is due to XQuartz somewhere?

I do, because the default WM is slow.

You might want to get in touch with the authors of Save OS X: they seem to have a thorough knowledge of the matter at hand.

gh · da · ds

#1423 2014-09-26 19:12:13

rchipman

Kolibry wrote:

It's me again smile

I have no errors, but if I click in the empty area that is not filled by my windows, the next app I will start will be resized correctly hmm

I have been working on trying to solve a similar issue for a while, but the quote above just gave me a bit of a breakthrough (but not yet a solution). I had never tried clicking in the unfilled space before and opening a window after doing so!

The output of bspc query -M -m focused will tell you which monitor you are on at any given time. Running this while focused in the small area will show that it thinks you are on your laptop screen still. (For me this is LVDS1). Clicking in the unfilled space and then running the same command will show the proper external monitor. This can be seen if you read the terminal commands that have been run in the screenshot linked below.

What seems to be happening is that the desktop from which I ran the xrandr command ("I", in this case) has been moved "on top of" the desktop that was created for this monitor ("Desktop2"). Desktop "I" seems to still think it is on LVDS1.

http://postimg.org/image/enktls5u1/

This isn't supposed to happen, is it? Does anyone know of a fix/things to try? Or, alternatively, is there a way to manually remove monitors as a stopgap? I know about the remove_disabled_monitors option, but currently X is crashing whenever I try to change monitors with that enabled...

Last edited by rchipman (2014-09-26 19:30:26)

#1424 2014-09-27 13:31:29

Kolibry

Yes you're right, although even with

bspc config remove_disabled_monitors true
bspc config remove_unplugged_monitors true

it didn't change anything for me hmm

I found this similar issue : https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm/issues/148

#1425 2014-10-02 10:49:04

Ploppz

After I updated bspwm to 0.8.9, it's acting weird and is not usable. Starting a terminal, it is placed as floating, in the top left corner, I cannot move it with mouse or use any key bindings to move or resize it or tile it, and I cannot close it with key bindings. I cannot switch workspaces, but my sxhkd binding for running programs works fine. So all bspwm specific bindings don't work.

sxhkd: http://sprunge.us/hNLI

When I run bspc <something> in terminal, it says "Failed to connect to the socket."

Board footer