You are not logged in.

#1426 2014-10-02 18:15:28

cjfonta

Re: bspwm — A tiling window manager based on binary space partitioning

hello, I used archlinux with openbox, for a month I switched to bspwm and live very well smile
But I can not make go cinelerra, when I start the program opens an empty box and the panel there is an x in the terminal does not give error,
have you installed cinelerra in bspwm?

#1427 2014-10-03 14:20:56

angelic_sedition
Website

cjfonta wrote:

hello, I used archlinux with openbox, for a month I switched to bspwm and live very well smile
But I can not make go cinelerra, when I start the program opens an empty box and the panel there is an x in the terminal does not give error,
have you installed cinelerra in bspwm?

For about 10 seconds it just mirrors whatever other windows were viewed, but then it starts/works fine for me.

Last edited by angelic_sedition (2014-10-03 14:21:27)

#1428 2014-10-03 18:13:26

cjfonta

thanks angelic_sediction, biding time, then I put the whole screen and cinelerra has started smile
I think the problem is that cinelerra uses 4 windows.
however, now is fine, thanks

#1429 2014-10-08 01:52:04

3xOSC

I have recently updated my bspwm from 0.8.6 to 0.8.9 and same with sxhkd, which is now the newer version.  I have noticed two things that are bothering me: 

and that is, in my bspwmrc, everything seems to be go smoothly except the 'bspc config window_gap       23' isn't being honored at all.

secondly, i am no longer to adjust the size of my tiled windows.

Can someone lend me a hand with this?

#1430 2014-10-08 08:57:21

o_caino

3xOSC wrote:

bspc config window_gap       23' isn't being honored at all.

The window_gap topic has been addressed many times on this thread.

3xOSC wrote:

secondly, i am no longer to adjust the size of my tiled windows.

The syntax changed, check the manpage.

#1431 2014-10-08 20:25:52

3xOSC

I have an issue when I forward X11 using ssh -Y (for MATLAB),

I am able to get it to load and see this:
http://i.imgur.com/PFp5MSp.png

but when I let it load further, I am stuck on two blank windows:

http://i.imgur.com/PGYq0rp.png

I have let it load for nearly 20 minutes thinking it was just the computer being slow, but it has just stuck in that shape for the longest time.

Could the settings be somewhat related to this issue:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ja … ow_manager

-- solved --

turns out i should use "matlab -nodesktop" when starting it.

Last edited by 3xOSC (2014-10-09 00:03:02)

#1432 2014-10-13 00:17:54

3xOSC

Is it possible to make desktop specific rules?  Saying I am launching my terminal, but I would like it to always show up tiled on desktop=^1, but when it is launched on desktop=^2, it starts as floating?

#1433 2014-10-13 15:38:28

mrkernelpanic

Hi, I am having some troubles with BSPWM.

1) Youtube/Flash Videos won't stay in Fullscren mode. I have added the following to bspwmrc:

bspc rule -a plugin-container focus=on

2) I installed IntelliJ Ultimate from the AUR. Once I start it, it only shows me a grey window (the first windows like configuration, licencing, create new project worked or the "U sure u wanna close?" window using Super-W to close it, but the main window where I should work in stays grey).

Any ideas how to fix these issues? Thanks!

Last edited by mrkernelpanic (2014-10-13 15:40:30)

#1434 2014-10-13 20:22:41

J.

3xOSC wrote:

Is it possible to make desktop specific rules?  Saying I am launching my terminal, but I would like it to always show up tiled on desktop=^1, but when it is launched on desktop=^2, it starts as floating?

You should be able to do this with external_rules_command.

#1435 2014-10-13 20:26:44

J.

mrkernelpanic wrote:

2) I installed IntelliJ Ultimate from the AUR. Once I start it, it only shows me a grey window (the first windows like configuration, licencing, create new project worked or the "U sure u wanna close?" window using Super-W to close it, but the main window where I should work in stays grey).

This may help:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Aw … ay_only.29

#1436 2014-10-14 08:28:29

3xOSC

J. wrote:
3xOSC wrote:

where can i find the syntax for external_rules_command?

#1437 2014-10-14 10:28:52

mrkernelpanic

Does wname also fix the flash plugin issue?

#1438 2014-10-14 17:47:13

J.

3xOSC wrote:
J. wrote:
3xOSC wrote:

where can i find the syntax for external_rules_command?

In the man page or the readme in the source (which is also rendered on the main GitHub page).

#1439 2014-10-15 22:52:53

3xOSC

i have just looked at the examples of it over here:
https://github.com/baskerville/bspwm/bl … rnal_rules
and i'm having some troubles making sense of it.  can i get an explanation?

#1440 2014-10-15 23:00:01

o_caino

3xOSC wrote:

can i get an explanation?

The example is pretty clear. Have you read the man page as user J. suggested?

#1441 2014-10-15 23:20:08

3xOSC

i have.  but i don't get where the whole key value pair things kick in

#1442 2014-10-15 23:29:44

o_caino

The key/value pairs are the rule consequences. In the given example the rule matches windows with instance name "fontforge" and "Layers", "Tools" or "Warning" in the title, setting the consequence "focus = off".
You can find other examples of external rules in this thread.

#1443 2014-10-16 10:28:32

3xOSC

o_caino wrote:

The key/value pairs are the rule consequences. In the given example the rule matches windows with instance name "fontforge" and "Layers", "Tools" or "Warning" in the title, setting the consequence "focus = off".
You can find other examples of external rules in this thread.

okay, so finding instance names can be easily accomplished with xprop, or xwininfo right?

What is the $1, $2 and $3, are they the arguments you pass into it?  If it is, how come there are three, if we are only using key/value pairs?

also, how do you call this?  do you simply put an external_rules_command executable in your bar scripts folder, and add this line: 

bspc config external_rules_command "$(which external_rules)"

to your bspwmrc?

Last edited by 3xOSC (2014-10-16 10:28:57)

#1444 2014-10-19 05:10:45

mrkernelpanic

J. wrote:
mrkernelpanic wrote:

This may help:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Aw … ay_only.29

Did fix the Java issue.
Flashplayer seems to be a general problem with dual monitor set up, so no bspqm-specific fix.

Question:
Are "advanced" rules possible? e.G. I would like to use gimp tilled like this:

| |       | |
|1|   2   |3|
| |       | |

(1 and 3 being the two toolboxes and 2 the main frame) and it would be cool if you could start it split and resized like this.
Also it would be cool to have layout specific macros so that you can open multiple terminals arranged (split/resized) with a predefined pattern.

Edit: Additional suggestion
When tiled like this:

|   |   |__3___|
|   |   |__4___|
|   |   |      |
| 1 | 2 |      |
|   |   |  5   |
|   |   |______|

you should be able to balance verticaly to something like this:

|   |   |  3   |
|   |   |______|
|   |   |  4   |
| 1 | 2 |______|
|   |   |  5   |
|   |   |______|

or horizontaly like this:

|    |    |__3_|
|    |    |__4_|
|    |    |    |
| 1  | 2  |    |
|    |    |  5 |
|    |    |____|

by preselecting a window of the desired colum/row in the desired x/y direction and then balancing. Might not fit the concept/philosophy or even technically possible to implement, but would be a nice tool.

Last edited by mrkernelpanic (2014-10-19 06:22:46)

#1445 2014-10-19 09:33:27

J.

I've never tried using 'bspc restore -T', but maybe you could use it do some of that.  I'm not sure how feasible it would be to get it to operate on just the current desktop.

#1446 2014-10-24 23:35:49

mrkernelpanic

Ok, I am having some troubles with bar. I know this is the bswpm-thread, but I am using the baskerville examples and have a little trouble understanding/using them...

So first: top padding. I do not want bar to be shown on both monitors. So what I did was

bspc monitor [i]monitorname[/i] --pad $PANEL_HEIGHT 0 0 0

in ~/.config/bspem/panel but it did not work as expected... What would be the correct command to have a top padding on one monitor, but not on the other?

I also have some trouble understanding the underlaying logic of the bar calling... What I understand:
Everything in .xinitrc executed at startx -> call panel -> generate and fill $PANEL_FIFO -> pipe $PANEL_FIFO in panel_bar -> format output -> pipe output into bar.

What I do not quite understand:
How often is the panel updated? Is there a timer or is it situation-triggered? Or is the -sf argument for clock the trigger in this example?

panel: I define my functions (e.g. battery, cpu output etc.) here, say how that output is formated (like 'T%s') and direct it into $PANEL_FIFO. What is the guidline how that formatting part has to be written?

panel_bar: I somehow do not understand this file at all. What does this while do exactly? what is $line? What are these S*) or m*) symbls?

Could somebody give me a simple example how I could change this? For e.g., if I don't want xtitle printed in the middle of the bar, but the current mpd track instead, how would this work?
panel:

#xtitle -sf 'T%s' > "$PANEL_FIFO" &
mpc current 'T%s' > "$PANEL_FIFO" &

panel_bar: leave as is? However, when I do it like this, there is nothing shown in the middle of the panel.

Plus: Is it normal, that the bar stretches over 2 monitors, but only shows elements on one?

And a bspwm question: How do I find the correct name of software I want to rule? e.g. pidgin is not floating, altough there is a rule. Also, Java applications thend to throw out smaller windows and they are all floating. How can i tile them?

Thank you!

Last edited by mrkernelpanic (2014-10-24 23:45:43)

#1447 2014-10-27 16:59:47

ttz

Ok, I am having some troubles with bar. I know this is the bswpm-thread, but I am using the baskerville examples and have a little trouble understanding/using them...

So first: top padding. I do not want bar to be shown on both monitors. So what I did was

bspc monitor [i]monitorname[/i] --pad $PANEL_HEIGHT 0 0 0

in ~/.config/bspem/panel but it did not work as expected... What would be the correct command to have a top padding on one monitor, but not on the other?

There is no

--pad 

option for bspc. You may want to try

## put this in some shell profile file
export PANEL_HEIGHT = <n>
## put this in bspwmrc
bspc config -m <monitor1> top_padding $PANEL_HEIGHT
bspc config -m <monitor2> top_padding 0

You may also have to define top_padding for each desktop for each monitor, which could be done with a for loop that iterates over the desktops, in your bspwmrc.

I also have some trouble understanding the underlaying logic of the bar calling... What I understand:
Everything in .xinitrc executed at startx -> call panel -> generate and fill $PANEL_FIFO -> pipe $PANEL_FIFO in panel_bar -> format output -> pipe output into bar.

What I do not quite understand:
How often is the panel updated? Is there a timer or is it situation-triggered? Or is the -sf argument for clock the trigger in this example?

panel: I define my functions (e.g. battery, cpu output etc.) here, say how that output is formated (like 'T%s') and direct it into $PANEL_FIFO. What is the guidline how that formatting part has to be written?
panel_bar: I somehow do not understand this file at all. What does this while do exactly? what is $line? What are these S*) or m*) symbls?

bspc sends out messages through a socket/fifo ("infinitely" until terminated), read by bar through the $PANEL_FIFO. In your panel_bar script provided, it has a "readline" loop, which reads line from the fifo, which then parses it and does stuff, which is then piped into bar, which makes it look pretty.

There is no guideline for this (other than writing good, sane code). It is up to you to use the panel_bar script to interpret the formatting  you send in.

Could somebody give me a simple example how I could change this? For e.g., if I don't want xtitle printed in the middle of the bar, but the current mpd track instead, how would this work?
panel:

#xtitle -sf 'T%s' > "$PANEL_FIFO" &
mpc current 'T%s' > "$PANEL_FIFO" &

panel_bar: leave as is? However, when I do it like this, there is nothing shown in the middle of the panel.

Check out github/dotfiles of some of the members in this thread for examples. As it stands your

mpc current

command is incorrect.

xtitle 

is able to use the -sf flag to output that text; mpc current cannot. You will have to use some scripting to get the output of "mpc current" and then pipe that into bar.

Plus: Is it normal, that the bar stretches over 2 monitors, but only shows elements on one?

bar is xinerama aware. Read the man pages to see how to take advantage of this.

And a bspwm question: How do I find the correct name of software I want to rule? e.g. pidgin is not floating, altough there is a rule. Also, Java applications thend to throw out smaller windows and they are all floating. How can i tile them?

Read through the thread. Builds character, and it will also answer your question smile

Last edited by ttz (2014-10-27 17:00:24)

Character shines in the great moments, but is polished in the little ones.

#1448 2014-10-30 06:18:32

mrkernelpanic

Hello ttz,

Thank you, that cleared some things up.

However, I have to disagree in one point: mpc current definetly gives me the information I want. I guess it is just some formatting issue...

#1449 2014-10-30 15:01:07

ttz

mrkernelpanic wrote:

Hello ttz,

Thank you, that cleared some things up.

However, I have to disagree in one point: mpc current definetly gives me the information I want. I guess it is just some formatting issue...

mpc current 

is fine on its own. Your issue is that you did

mpc current 'T%s' 

. AFAIK, mpc does not support that sort of formatting string.

Character shines in the great moments, but is polished in the little ones.

#1450 2014-10-31 15:58:53

_glitchware

I hope this is the correct place to post (This is regarding LemonBoy's b-a-r)

When I run my panel from the term, I get the error `Could not alloc color ""`

Here is the config:

#! /bin/sh

. /home/rlee/scripts/panel_colors-bar

DARK=#FF1F1F1F
LIGHT=#FFC0B18B

workspace() {
    SPACE_NUM=$(bspc query -D -d);
        case "$SPACE_NUM" in
            "1")
                WORKSPACE="_--";;
            "2")
                WORKSPACE="-_-";;
            "3")
                WORKSPACE="--_";;
        esac
    echo -n $WORKSPACE
}

ram(){
	echo -n  $(free -m | awk '/-/ {print $3}')
}

dat(){
	echo -n  $(date "+%H:%M")
}

mus(){
	echo -n  $(test -z "$(mpc current)" || mpc current -f %title%)
	#echo -n $(ps aux | grep -v "grep" | if grep -q "cmus"; then echo $(cmus-remote -Q | sed -n 's/tag title //p'); else echo "n/a"; fi)
}

while :; do
    printf "%s\n" "%{B$DARK}%{F$WHITE} $(mus) %{c}$(workspace)%{c} %{r} $(dat) %{r}%{B-}%{F-}"
sleep 1
done

I put the errors through /dev/null (2> /dev/null) and it's using 100% CPU.

What is causing the error and how can I fix it?

Board footer