You are not logged in.

#26 2012-10-08 00:30:55

whoop

Re: [SOLVED - sort of]Linux updated with errors

#27 2012-10-10 07:28:47

Thor@Flanders

@ whoop - just the thing I encountered. One drawback on this forum: I cannot add points or thank you otherwise for this saving post, I can only thank you here, like this: thanks!
Okay, so I read the (new) install guide, looks possible, though (and that was my earlier point) not crunchtime, allas, when one has to re-install something quick (read: just click and let the install happen unattended)
The situation is as follows now: got me a new drive (needed one anyway) and I've put "something" on it in waiting of Arch.
But, please understand my panic: no install script or anything...and users all over the place wetting themselves...
On the other side, a re-install was waiting to happen, my install was failing anyway, so, it could be a good thing the crash happened smile
@ WonderWoofy - hehe, that was NOT what I meant at the time, I meant diverse AND helpful (at the same time) where some posts in this thread are (to put is politely) no more than white noise big_smile - don't feel bitten, okay?

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2012-10-10 07:33:23)

#28 2012-10-10 08:14:03

Thor@Flanders

As a question of curiosity, is this scheme:

Root:
    Choose New (or press N) – Enter for Primary – type in "15360" – Enter for Beginning – Enter for Bootable. 
Swap:
    Press the down arrow to move to the free space area.
    Choose New (or press N) – Enter for Primary – type in "1024" – Enter for Beginning.
    Choose Type (or press T) – press any key to scroll down the list – Enter for 82. 
Home:
    Press the down arrow to move to the free space area.
    Choose New (or press N) – Enter for Primary – Enter to use the rest of the drive (or you could type in the desired size). 

good enough? Would a separate partition for booting not be safer?
(just trying to learn here, this post was put HERE in the newbie corner for a reason)

By the way, glad SOMEONE saw the light: the suggested 7500Mb rootsopace (as suggested by the partitioner in the install script) was NEVER enough to last a lifetime big_smile

Thor

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2012-10-10 08:17:50)

#29 2012-10-10 11:26:14

Lone_Wolf

if you intend to use hibernate / suspend , then swap size should be bigger than 1024 . usually the size of your ram + some extra is advised.

A separate boot partition makes things easier if you have multiple OSes installed.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#30 2012-10-10 12:39:56

nomorewindows

You can always install another Arch from within an already working Arch just with pacman, but hence, it sounds like you had no Arch.

Last edited by nomorewindows (2012-10-10 12:51:39)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#31 2012-10-10 21:33:31

Thor@Flanders

@ Lone_Wolf - it will be the only OS, and suspending is not really my main goal... smile
@ nomorewindows - yup, it was Arch allright...on a sidenote, can I install Arch (the new one) without having to partition? Just pac the stuff in sda3? Or is that a wannebee dream...

I will need to reinstall, my system keeps shutting down, since the new harddrive was installed., but, I'm looking at a new PC anyway, so...

Thor

Board footer