You are not logged in.

#26 2022-08-09 12:38:10

lem79

Re: Gigabyte Osmium keyboard - Need help unlocking extra functionality

Hi hwti, yep: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Khd1Eq … 4SR7Iiu4ma

And just for kicks, I'm still using that same Deck Hassium keyboard right now to type this that I mentioned in this thread 8 years ago smile

Last edited by lem79 (2022-08-09 12:38:32)

#27 2022-08-10 00:01:35

hwti

Re: Gigabyte Osmium keyboard - Need help unlocking extra functionality

Thank you, my keyboard seems now at least partially fixed.

My firmware version was only 0.94 (so Gigabyte telling me there is no updated firmware...).

The updater doesn't work under Windows 10/11.
After what seems to be a vendor command, the keyboard disconnects and reconnects, exposing a simpler HID device (with bcdDevice = 0x0200, no manufacturer or product string).
But after 8s, it disconnects again and returns to normal mode.
The updater then displays "Change Firmware Work mode Fail!".
I don't know if it's a driver issue (the I1KBFLTR.inf doesn't match the simpler device), or if Windows makes the simpler device fail (it doesn't seem to like the USBHID SET_IDLE commands).

I managed to flash with Windows 7 PE.
Then it seemed to work correctly, for at least a few minutes.
When trying on Linux, I got weird backlight blink with the Fn key, and keys randomly ignored, but then it worked again.
But after switching back to Windows, I got the original issue again (on all computers) !

I disabled USB autosuspend just in case, and flashed again.
It seems to work, at least for now...
But there is a regression : the backlight doesn't turn off any more when the PC is suspended (even with autosuspend enabled).

Perhaps newer firmwares, if they exist, would work better.
lonestarr_333 wrote about 1.05 here, but there is no trace, and I don't see it mentioned anywhere else.
From https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=1ffa4 … sb-devices, I see a 0.92 exists, and I see 0.94 on other configurations.
There is a Freescale/NXP HCS08 BDM header pinout on the PCB, so with an USBDM adapter it should be possible to program and maybe read directly.
Another possibility would be reversing the firmware update code, maybe there are read commands too.

On the Osmium, the USB VID/PID seem exchanged :
- The Freescale MC9S08JM16 (A1  Gaming Keyboard) uses VID=0x0665 (Cypress) PID=0x6000 (which is also used for "EST Gaming Keyboard", which is different).
- The Cypress  CY764215 (Osmium Interface, handling the macro keys, wheels and logo button/leds) uses VID=0x1044 (wrong, Gigabyte owns 1044=0x0414) PID=0x7A03.

Last edited by hwti (2022-08-10 01:37:36)

Board footer