You are not logged in.

#401 2014-07-23 13:26:35

x33a
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 3,398
Website

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

fsckd wrote:
Meister wrote:

I just wanted to pop in and express my thanks to the work that has been done to give OpenRC as an alternative in Arch. I'm finally happy being on my favorite Linux Distro, set up the way I want it. That's the beauty of Linux and open source, choice. So a big thumbs up to apg and artoo, keep up the great work! It's much appreciated.

Seconded. You two have done an awesome job. smile

@ fsckd, since when did you join the dark side wink?

Last edited by x33a (2014-07-24 05:28:28)

Offline

#402 2014-07-27 18:20:58

F34R
Member
From: /dev/loliland
Registered: 2012-02-05
Posts: 238

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

any users of openrc, could set mdev as alternative dev-manager ?

Offline

#403 2014-07-28 10:07:29

aaditya
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 173

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

F34R wrote:

any users of openrc, could set mdev as alternative dev-manager ?

Hello, I have not tried it, but here is a link from the Gentoo wiki:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC#Rep … _with_mdev

Offline

#404 2014-07-28 15:54:51

F34R
Member
From: /dev/loliland
Registered: 2012-02-05
Posts: 238

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

aaditya wrote:
F34R wrote:

any users of openrc, could set mdev as alternative dev-manager ?

Hello, I have not tried it, but here is a link from the Gentoo wiki:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC#Rep … _with_mdev


I know, also Gentoo user. But there is the package on gentoo one, on Archlinux two different packages. busybox contain the mdev on G, in aur the old mdev packages and not working as well my arch install. mdev hook set in mkinitcpio but failed to run it.

Offline

#405 2014-07-29 13:43:03

Lone_Wolf
Member
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 4,317

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

The recent upgrade to Xorg 1.16.0 will break X for those of us using openrc with OSS videodrivers.

The reason for this is the new Xorg.wrap command, it checks if the videodriver supports KMS.
If it does, then Xorg.wrap tries to start X without root rights using logind .

As logind only functions if the system is booted with systemd as PID 1, Xorg.wrap can't start X without root rights and fails.

The solution is to CREATE an /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config file with contents like this :

# Xorg.wrap configuation file
needs_root_rights = yes

see man xorg.wrap for details about the Xwrapper.config file.


Booting with apg Openrc, NOT systemd.
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

Offline

#406 2014-07-29 22:03:54

Alad
Wiki Admin
Registered: 2014-05-04
Posts: 1,102

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

As logind only functions if the system is booted with systemd as PID 1, Xorg.wrap can't start X without root rights and fails.

Actually, the guys at debian found a way to make work logind work without systemd as PID 1:

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/systemd-shim

I've packaged it in AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/systemd-shim/), but it obviously needs more work as in Arch, logind is in the systemd package.

systemd-shim: /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.systemd1.conf exists in filesystem
systemd-shim: /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service exists in filesystem

Last edited by Alad (2014-07-29 22:04:29)


Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby
User:Alad

Offline

#407 2014-07-30 15:19:55

aaditya
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 173

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

Alad wrote:

As logind only functions if the system is booted with systemd as PID 1, Xorg.wrap can't start X without root rights and fails.

Actually, the guys at debian found a way to make work logind work without systemd as PID 1:

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/systemd-shim

I've packaged it in AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/systemd-shim/), but it obviously needs more work as in Arch, logind is in the systemd package.

systemd-shim: /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.freedesktop.systemd1.conf exists in filesystem
systemd-shim: /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.systemd1.service exists in filesystem

By removing the conflicting bits, ie:

package() {
        cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"
        make DESTDIR="$pkgdir/" install
        # Remove conflicting files
        rm -rf "$pkgdir/etc"
        rm -rf "$pkgdir/usr/share"
}

This installs correctly, but I dont know whether this works..
Nope, I dont think this will work, as the service file requiring for starting systemd-shim gets removed.

Last edited by aaditya (2014-07-30 15:25:06)

Offline

#408 2014-07-30 21:33:32

Alad
Wiki Admin
Registered: 2014-05-04
Posts: 1,102

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

I've tried it by renaming the respective files to .bak, so systemd-shim installs properly. However I couldn't get it working myself -  adapted upstart jobs from Ubuntu 14.04 (which has a separate logind by default), but the shim service failed.

systemd-logind: http://pastie.org/9432663
cgmanager: https://gist.github.com/caglar10ur/8461614

So either I'm missing something, or systemd in Arch is too new to work with shim (though latter was updated a few days ago).

Last edited by Alad (2014-07-30 21:34:16)


Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby
User:Alad

Offline

#409 2014-07-31 06:13:54

x33a
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 3,398
Website

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

@ Alad, it might very well be due to the Arch systemd package being too new. The Debian package is at 208, that too in sid.

You might want to try the latest systemd-shim package from here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sy … im/6-4bzr1, though I doubt even it will work.

Offline

#410 2014-07-31 08:13:12

aaditya
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 173

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

I am updating my Arch VM with the xorg-1.16 stack, and will follow Lone_wolf's advice given a few posts above.

A note about my setup:
Using Arch (in a VM with Xfce/fluxbox),
with OpenRC (artoo's way),
along with eudev (again by artoo).

For the functionality provided by logind, ie, shutting down or restarting system as normal user, mounting drives, etc, I am using consolekit with its related packages (consolekit is independent of systemd, ie, it can be used with or without systemd as per my observations).

Edit-
I did upgrade, and X is working, but it has become very slow (mouse pointer lags a lot, menus and windows sometime take little long to open), and I am not getting full screen like earlier with guest-utils installed..

Last edited by aaditya (2014-07-31 09:43:45)

Offline

#411 2014-07-31 10:32:48

Lone_Wolf
Member
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 4,317

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

aaditya wrote:

Edit-
I did upgrade, and X is working, but it has become very slow (mouse pointer lags a lot, menus and windows sometime take little long to open), and I am not getting full screen like earlier with guest-utils installed..

you're using Virtualbox ?
They may not have support for xorg 1.16 in their drivers yet, Check their forums.


Booting with apg Openrc, NOT systemd.
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

Offline

#412 2014-07-31 11:24:56

aaditya
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 173

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

Lone_Wolf wrote:
aaditya wrote:

Edit-
I did upgrade, and X is working, but it has become very slow (mouse pointer lags a lot, menus and windows sometime take little long to open), and I am not getting full screen like earlier with guest-utils installed..

you're using Virtualbox ?
They may not have support for xorg 1.16 in their drivers yet, Check their forums.

Yeah, using Virtualbox. I tried searching for it, and looks like perhaps its not supported yet.
Will wait a bit and see if any updates are released..

Last edited by aaditya (2014-07-31 11:28:48)

Offline

#413 2014-08-01 02:34:25

fuplaya
Member
Registered: 2014-05-08
Posts: 1

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

Lone_Wolf wrote:

The recent upgrade to Xorg 1.16.0 will break X for those of us using openrc with OSS videodrivers.

The reason for this is the new Xorg.wrap command, it checks if the videodriver supports KMS.
If it does, then Xorg.wrap tries to start X without root rights using logind .

As logind only functions if the system is booted with systemd as PID 1, Xorg.wrap can't start X without root rights and fails.

The solution is to CREATE an /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config file with contents like this :

# Xorg.wrap configuation file
needs_root_rights = yes

see man xorg.wrap for details about the Xwrapper.config file.


This does not work for me. Seems to need libsystemd.so.0
I get the following if I try to start Xorg.bin or Xorg.wrap:
error while loading shared libraries: libsystemd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ldd /usr/bin/Xorg.bin
ldd /usr/bin/Xorg.bin
    linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff573fe000)
    libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x00007f653f338000)
    libudev.so.1 => /usr/lib/libudev.so.1 (0x00007f653f117000)
    libgcrypt.so.20 => /usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.20 (0x00007f653ee39000)
    libdl.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f653ec35000)
    libpciaccess.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpciaccess.so.0 (0x00007f653ea2c000)
    libdrm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdrm.so.2 (0x00007f653e81f000)
    libpixman-1.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpixman-1.so.0 (0x00007f653e572000)
    libXfont.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXfont.so.1 (0x00007f653e335000)
    libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0x00007f653e131000)
    libsystemd.so.0 => not found
    libxshmfence.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxshmfence.so.1 (0x00007f653df2e000)
    libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00007f653dd28000)
    libm.so.6 => /usr/lib/libm.so.6 (0x00007f653da24000)
    libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007f653d676000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f653d458000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f653f580000)
    libgpg-error.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.0 (0x00007f653d253000)
    libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x00007f653cfaa000)
    libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x00007f653cd94000)
    libfontenc.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontenc.so.1 (0x00007f653cb8c000)
    libbz2.so.1.0 => /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0 (0x00007f653c97c000)
    libpng16.so.16 => /usr/lib/libpng16.so.16 (0x00007f653c746000)
    libharfbuzz.so.0 => /usr/lib/libharfbuzz.so.0 (0x00007f653c4ef000)
    libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f653c1e7000)
    libgraphite2.so.3 => /usr/lib/libgraphite2.so.3 (0x00007f653bfc9000)
    libpcre.so.1 => /usr/lib/libpcre.so.1 (0x00007f653bd5f000)

I have to revert back to the older version of xorg-server and xf86-input-evdev

Offline

#414 2014-08-01 03:23:06

aaditya
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 173

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

fuplaya wrote:
Lone_Wolf wrote:

The recent upgrade to Xorg 1.16.0 will break X for those of us using openrc with OSS videodrivers.

The reason for this is the new Xorg.wrap command, it checks if the videodriver supports KMS.
If it does, then Xorg.wrap tries to start X without root rights using logind .

As logind only functions if the system is booted with systemd as PID 1, Xorg.wrap can't start X without root rights and fails.

The solution is to CREATE an /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config file with contents like this :

# Xorg.wrap configuation file
needs_root_rights = yes

see man xorg.wrap for details about the Xwrapper.config file.


This does not work for me. Seems to need libsystemd.so.0
I get the following if I try to start Xorg.bin or Xorg.wrap:
error while loading shared libraries: libsystemd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ldd /usr/bin/Xorg.bin
ldd /usr/bin/Xorg.bin
    linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fff573fe000)
    libdbus-1.so.3 => /usr/lib/libdbus-1.so.3 (0x00007f653f338000)
    libudev.so.1 => /usr/lib/libudev.so.1 (0x00007f653f117000)
    libgcrypt.so.20 => /usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.20 (0x00007f653ee39000)
    libdl.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f653ec35000)
    libpciaccess.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpciaccess.so.0 (0x00007f653ea2c000)
    libdrm.so.2 => /usr/lib/libdrm.so.2 (0x00007f653e81f000)
    libpixman-1.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpixman-1.so.0 (0x00007f653e572000)
    libXfont.so.1 => /usr/lib/libXfont.so.1 (0x00007f653e335000)
    libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXau.so.6 (0x00007f653e131000)
    libsystemd.so.0 => not found
    libxshmfence.so.1 => /usr/lib/libxshmfence.so.1 (0x00007f653df2e000)
    libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00007f653dd28000)
    libm.so.6 => /usr/lib/libm.so.6 (0x00007f653da24000)
    libc.so.6 => /usr/lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007f653d676000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f653d458000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f653f580000)
    libgpg-error.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.0 (0x00007f653d253000)
    libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x00007f653cfaa000)
    libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x00007f653cd94000)
    libfontenc.so.1 => /usr/lib/libfontenc.so.1 (0x00007f653cb8c000)
    libbz2.so.1.0 => /usr/lib/libbz2.so.1.0 (0x00007f653c97c000)
    libpng16.so.16 => /usr/lib/libpng16.so.16 (0x00007f653c746000)
    libharfbuzz.so.0 => /usr/lib/libharfbuzz.so.0 (0x00007f653c4ef000)
    libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007f653c1e7000)
    libgraphite2.so.3 => /usr/lib/libgraphite2.so.3 (0x00007f653bfc9000)
    libpcre.so.1 => /usr/lib/libpcre.so.1 (0x00007f653bd5f000)

I have to revert back to the older version of xorg-server and xf86-input-evdev

Hi fuplaya,
guess you are using eudev (or another udev implementation)..
If so, you could try out the eudev-systemdcompat package from the AUR..

$ pacman -Ql eudev-systemdcompat
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-daemon.so
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-daemon.so.0
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-daemon.so.0.0.12
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-id128.so
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-id128.so.0
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-id128.so.0.0.28
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-journal.so
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-journal.so.0
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-journal.so.0.11.5
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-login.so
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-login.so.0
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd-login.so.0.9.3
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd.so
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd.so.0
eudev-systemdcompat /usr/lib/libsystemd.so.0.3.1

If you have trouble building it, you can look to the wiki.

Offline

#415 2014-08-07 15:11:15

aaditya
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 173

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

My virtualbox / xorg problems have been fixed after updating today.
The pacman log looks like the following:

[2014-08-07 19:45] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -Syu'
[2014-08-07 19:45] [PACMAN] synchronizing package lists
[2014-08-07 19:45] [PACMAN] starting full system upgrade
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] removed lzo2 (2.08-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] removed glamor-egl (0.6.0-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] installed lzo (2.08-3)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded squashfs-tools (4.3-2 -> 4.3-3)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded archiso (16-1 -> 17-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded mesa (10.2.4-1 -> 10.2.5-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded mesa-libgl (10.2.4-1 -> 10.2.5-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded cairo (1.12.16-2 -> 1.12.16-3)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded device-mapper (2.02.106-2 -> 2.02.108-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded dhcpcd (6.4.2-1 -> 6.4.3-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded libutil-linux (2.24.2-1 -> 2.25-3)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded e2fsprogs (1.42.10-1 -> 1.42.11-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded git (2.0.3-1 -> 2.0.4-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded xorg-server-common (1.15.1-1 -> 1.16.0-6)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded xf86-input-evdev (2.9.0-1 -> 2.9.0-2)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] >>> xorg-server has now the ability to run without root rights with
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]     the help of systemd-logind. xserver will fail to run if not launched
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]     from the same virtual terminal as was used to log in.
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]     Without root rights, log files will be in ~/.local/share/xorg/ directory.
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] 
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]     Old behavior can be restored through Xorg.wrap config file.
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]     See Xorg.wrap man page (man xorg.wrap).
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded xorg-server (1.15.1-1 -> 1.16.0-6)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded intel-dri (10.2.4-1 -> 10.2.5-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded libarchive (3.1.2-6 -> 3.1.2-8)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded libcups (1.7.4-1 -> 1.7.5-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded libx264 (1:142.20140311-4 -> 1:142.20140311-6)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded util-linux (2.24.2-1 -> 2.25-3)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [PACMAN] upgraded mkinitcpio (17-1 -> 18-1)
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] >>> Updating module dependencies. Please wait ...
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] >>> Generating initial ramdisk, using mkinitcpio.  Please wait...
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-lts.preset: 'default'
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux-lts -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-lts.img
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Starting build: 3.14.15-1-lts
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [base]
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [udev]
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [modconf]
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [block]
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [fsck]
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Generating module dependencies
[2014-08-07 19:48] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux-lts.img
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Image generation successful
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux-lts.preset: 'fallback'
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux-lts -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-lts-fallback.img -S autodetect
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Starting build: 3.14.15-1-lts
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [base]
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [udev]
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [modconf]
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [block]
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: aic94xx
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> WARNING: Possibly missing firmware for module: smsmdtv
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]   -> Running build hook: [fsck]
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Generating module dependencies
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux-lts-fallback.img
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> Image generation successful
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded linux-lts (3.14.14-1 -> 3.14.15-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded lvm2 (2.02.106-2 -> 2.02.108-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded parted (3.1-4 -> 3.2-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded pkgbuild-introspection (3-1 -> 4-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded s-nail (14.7.4-1 -> 14.7.5-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] Syslinux BIOS update successful
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] 
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> For setting up Syslinux BIOS using the syslinux-install_update script follow 
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]     https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syslinux#Automatic_Install
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] 
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> For setting up Syslinux EFI follow
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET]     https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syslinux#UEFI_Systems
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] 
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] ==> The syslinux-install_update script does not currently support EFI install
[2014-08-07 19:49] [ALPM-SCRIPTLET] 
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded syslinux (6.03pre18-1 -> 6.03pre19-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded xorg-xrandr (1.4.2-1 -> 1.4.3-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded virtualbox-guest-utils (4.3.12-1 -> 4.3.14-3)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed gsm (1.0.13-7)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed recode (3.6-8)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed enca (1.15-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed libass (0.11.2-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed libbluray (0.5.0-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed libmodplug (0.8.8.5-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed libasyncns (0.8-5)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed json-c (0.12-2)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed libpulse (5.0-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed libva (1.3.1-2)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed libvpx (1.3.0-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed opus (1.1-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed rtmpdump (20131205-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed schroedinger (1.0.11-2)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed sdl (1.2.15-6)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed speex (1.2rc1-4)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed v4l-utils (1.2.1-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed xvidcore (1.3.3-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed x265 (1.2-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] installed ffmpeg (1:2.3.1-1)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded x264 (1:142.20140311-4 -> 1:142.20140311-6)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded xf86-video-intel (2.99.911-2 -> 2.99.914-4)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded xf86-video-vesa (2.3.2-4 -> 2.3.2-5)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded xorg-server-utils (7.6-3 -> 7.6-4)
[2014-08-07 19:49] [PACMAN] upgraded xorg-twm (1.0.8-2 -> 1.0.8-3)

(I had downgraded xorg earlier since it was not working properly.)

Offline

#416 2014-08-10 11:09:26

Alad
Wiki Admin
Registered: 2014-05-04
Posts: 1,102

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

x33a wrote:

@ Alad, it might very well be due to the Arch systemd package being too new. The Debian package is at 208, that too in sid.

You might want to try the latest systemd-shim package from here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sy … im/6-4bzr1, though I doubt even it will work.

Turns out I forgot to apply any of the Ubuntu patches (derp). Fixed in the current PKGBUILD, but I haven't tested further (and it would be useful to add the upstart jobs to /usr/share/examples)


Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby
User:Alad

Offline

#417 2014-10-02 14:02:32

aaditya
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 173

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

Hi guys,

I have setup a pacman repo , which contains openrc and eudev packages from artoo's git repo. It can be added to /etc/pacman.conf

Can be found here.

Last edited by aaditya (2015-01-27 16:24:54)

Offline

#418 2014-10-13 15:31:40

F34R
Member
From: /dev/loliland
Registered: 2012-02-05
Posts: 238

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

Long time ago again use Archlinux and Openrc. I get the eudev and openrc packages, rebuild the mkinitcpio reboot and after the logged into X not working the mouse or keyboard. Udev loaded properly, next step i copy the xorg.conf.d from mdev like a boss packages and loaded after the next boot , mouse work as well, but keyboard nothing. What is the right method and trick how work together eudev and openrc? Also i get nosystemd packges, and manualy extract libsystemd.tar to /usr/lib.

Offline

#419 2014-10-13 15:47:06

aaditya
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 173

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

Hi F34R,

The simplest method I can think of is to add the repo given above, and follow the steps from the Manjaro wiki (which is what the package repo is based upon), and do the required configuration, ie:

1. Add the Xwrapper.config (as illustrated by Lone_Wolf a few posts above)
2. Configure your display manager in /etc/conf.d/xdm (if you use one)

Most of the nosystemd packages have been deprecated because of using eudev-systemdcompat with eudev, which installs the systemd libraries along with eudev to minimize breakage.

Last edited by aaditya (2015-01-27 16:25:38)

Offline

#420 2014-10-14 12:13:50

bstaletic
Member
Registered: 2014-02-02
Posts: 601

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

I tried openrc and everything seems to be working, but I have some questions.

How can I automatically startx upon login (prefeably only the first time I login)? - Solved
How can I setup network not using dhcpcd?
Are there openrc equivalents of systemd-analyze (want to compare boot times) and systemd list-unit-files?
How do I install teamviewer*?

*I tried all packages from AUR,and all failed because they are packagedto install on a systemd running distro (systemctl start teamviewerd). For this reason every package failed to run. I then looked on the developers site and it turned out thy have a portable version of teamviewer which (when you install all the dependancies) run perfectly. I just have no idea how to make a PKGBUILD for the portable version. If you think I should post the teamviewer issue in "AUR issues and package requests" subforum I will do so, I just thought since it's a problem with openrc compatibility I should ask here.

Last edited by bstaletic (2014-10-14 12:35:53)

Offline

#421 2014-10-14 12:38:58

aaditya
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 173

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

bstaletic wrote:

I tried openrc and everything seems to be working, but I have some questions.

Hi, I will try to answer as well as I can, since I have experience with none of the questions asked.


How can I automatically startx upon login (prefeably only the first time I login)?

Using .xinitrc?

How can I setup network not using dhcpcd?

Maybe look at the Gentoo docs (for more details: link2).

Are there openrc equivalents of systemd-analyze (want to compare boot times) and systemd list-unit-files?

Dont know about systemd-analyze, but for the other might want to have a look at the wiki and x33a's blog post (An Overview of the Important Commands).

How do I install teamviewer*?

*I tried all packages from AUR,and all failed because they are packagedto install on a systemd running distro (systemctl start teamviewerd). For this reason every package failed to run. I then looked on the developers site and it turned out thy have a portable version of teamviewer which (when you install all the dependancies) run perfectly. I just have no idea how to make a PKGBUILD for the portable version. If you think I should post the teamviewer issue in "AUR issues and package requests" subforum I will do so, I just thought since it's a problem with openrc compatibility I should ask here.

You can find an Openrc service for teamviewer here (would need to copy the service from init.d to /etc/init.d in your system, and to run it sudo rc-service teamviewerd start).

Last edited by aaditya (2014-10-14 12:40:52)

Offline

#422 2014-10-14 12:59:53

Lone_Wolf
Member
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 4,317

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

bstaletic,

you'll have to convert the teamviewer service file to an openrc initscript.

teamviewerd.service (version 9.0.32150-2 )

[Unit]
Description = TeamViewer remote control daemon
Wants = display-manager.service
After = NetworkManager-wait-online.service network.target

[Service]
Type = forking
PIDFile = /var/run/teamviewerd.pid
ExecStart = /opt/teamviewer9/tv_bin/teamviewerd -d
Restart = on-abort
StartLimitInterval = 60
StartLimitBurst = 10

[Install]
WantedBy = graphical.target

as you can see, the teamviewerd.service-file basically does 2 things :
it sets a PID-file, then starts the teamviewerd daemon.

You can find details about openrc init scripts here :
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h … #doc_chap4
Also in your /etc/openrc/init.d folder (or /etc/init.d folder if you use artoo packages) you'll find plenty of examples.


Booting with apg Openrc, NOT systemd.
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

Offline

#423 2014-10-14 13:02:14

bstaletic
Member
Registered: 2014-02-02
Posts: 601

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

@aaditya

I ment automatically startx like demonstrated in archwiki page name "Start X at login". I'm using zsh so I need to edit .zprofile.
Here's how it looks now:

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $(tty) = "/dev/tty1" ]] && exec startx

This way it forces X on TTY1. That is not a big deal, and a bit of further scripting will get me what I want.


thanks for the links to gentoo documentation and archwiki init comparison. Just what I needed.

I am stunned that the git repo isn't packaged and uploaded to AUR. Yes, I know we don't like "bloatware" but having all services in one place is great.

EDIT: Lone_Wolf thanks for the info.

Last edited by bstaletic (2014-10-14 13:06:38)

Offline

#424 2014-10-14 13:19:43

aaditya
Member
From: India
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 173

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

bstaletic wrote:

@aaditya

I ment automatically startx like demonstrated in archwiki page name "Start X at login". I'm using zsh so I need to edit .zprofile.
Here's how it looks now:

[[ -z $DISPLAY && $(tty) = "/dev/tty1" ]] && exec startx

This way it forces X on TTY1. That is not a big deal, and a bit of further scripting will get me what I want.


thanks for the links to gentoo documentation and archwiki init comparison. Just what I needed.

I am stunned that the git repo isn't packaged and uploaded to AUR. Yes, I know we don't like "bloatware" but having all services in one place is great.

EDIT: Lone_Wolf thanks for the info.

Ah, maybe look at the /etc/local.d folder for starting things at startup.
I think tty1 is used by Openrc to display its messages, so I use tty7 to start a display manager (dont know if it matters when manually using startx).

The repo is packaged in the AUR, see openrc-arch-services-git, but they are only compatible with apg's method, for artoo's method each service is usually a separate package.

Most of the apg scripts are in artoo's packages and vice-versa, so duplication is usually not required.

@Lone_Wolf, this is what is done in the link posted earlier:

#!/usr/bin/runscript
name="teamviewerd"
description="Daemon for TeamViewer remote control program"
command="/opt/teamviewer9/tv_bin/${name}"
command_args="-d"
pidfile="/run/${name}.pid"
depend() {
need net
}

Offline

#425 2014-10-15 05:15:19

F34R
Member
From: /dev/loliland
Registered: 2012-02-05
Posts: 238

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

aaditya wrote:

Hi F34R,

The simplest method I can think of is to add the repo given above, and follow the steps from the Manjaro wiki (which is what the package repo is based upon), and do the required configuration, ie:

1. Add the Xwrapper.config (as illustrated by Lone_Wolf a few posts above)
2. Configure your display manager in /etc/conf.d/xdm (if you use one)

Most of the nosystemd packages have been deprecated because of using eudev-systemdcompat with eudev, which installs the systemd libraries along with eudev to minimize breakage.


Thanks and gonna check it today wink

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB