You are not logged in.

#451 2014-12-30 17:29:33

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

Hi,

I'm new in OpenRC. Recently I installed OpenRC following this guide. I just reached step 1.

After reboot, I get the error:

sysctl: cannot open "/etc/sysctl.conf": No such file or directory
sysctl failed to start

I thought that sysctl.conf was deprecated.

What can I do for leaving the error?

Many thanks
@@aaditya: very good job


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#452 2014-12-30 17:38:42

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

On the other hand, can someone points me an equivalent of netctl with openrc?  thanks,


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#453 2014-12-30 17:42:57

aaditya
Member
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 174

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

xanb wrote:

Hi,

I'm new in OpenRC. Recently I installed OpenRC following this guide. I just reached step 1.

After reboot, I get the error:

sysctl: cannot open "/etc/sysctl.conf": No such file or directory
sysctl failed to start

I thought that sysctl.conf was deprecated.

What can I do for leaving the error?

Many thanks
@@aaditya: very good job

Hi xanb,

TBH most of the work was artoo's, mine was documentation smile

sysctl.conf is deprecated wrt systemd, but not OpenRC I think.

You could create a sysctl.conf file with

sudo touch /etc/sysctl.conf

and that error would probably go away (I will add a note about it in the guide).

For something like netctl, maybe you could look at wicd which has wicd-curses.

Offline

#454 2014-12-30 18:58:57

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

aaditya wrote:
xanb wrote:

Hi,

I'm new in OpenRC. Recently I installed OpenRC following this guide. I just reached step 1.

After reboot, I get the error:

sysctl: cannot open "/etc/sysctl.conf": No such file or directory
sysctl failed to start

I thought that sysctl.conf was deprecated.

What can I do for leaving the error?

Many thanks
@@aaditya: very good job

Hi xanb,

TBH most of the work was artoo's, mine was documentation smile

sysctl.conf is deprecated wrt systemd, but not OpenRC I think.

You could create a sysctl.conf file with

sudo touch /etc/sysctl.conf

and that error would probably go away (I will add a note about it in the guide).

For something like netctl, maybe you could look at wicd which has wicd-curses.

Thank you very much.  For the netctl substitution I re-discovered netcfg. Perhaps it's better if you install before the reboot of the step 1 of this guide.

Thanks,


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#455 2014-12-30 19:04:08

aaditya
Member
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 174

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

xanb wrote:

Thank you very much.  For the netctl substitution I re-discovered netcfg. Perhaps it's better if you install before the reboot of the step 1 of this guide.

Thanks,

Indeed, there seems to be a netcfg package in the AUR which I didnt know about, thx smile

sysctl error is not much serious in my opinion, more like a warning.

Offline

#456 2014-12-30 19:14:33

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

Changing topic: I see that systemd has a lot (lot) of dependencies:

pacman -Sii systemd

for example gives me procps-ng, lighttpd, lvm2, xorg-xdm, chromium, docker, ...

I this really true?

Thanks,


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#457 2014-12-30 19:19:05

aaditya
Member
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 174

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

xanb wrote:

Changing topic: I see that systemd has a lot (lot) of dependencies:

pacman -Sii systemd

for example gives me procps-ng, lighttpd, lvm2, xorg-xdm, chromium, docker, ...

I this really true?

Thanks,

A lot of packages are dependent on udev rather than systemd, but as it is the same package, yup..

Offline

#458 2014-12-31 12:26:11

bstaletic
Member
Registered: 2014-02-02
Posts: 658

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

@xanb
There's also openrc-systemdcompat package which you will install and won't have any problem with packages depending on systemd.

Offline

#459 2014-12-31 14:58:28

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

bstaletic wrote:

@xanb
There's also openrc-systemdcompat package which you will install and won't have any problem with packages depending on systemd.

OK. Thanks a lot.


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#460 2014-12-31 15:01:37

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

Just a very radical point: I have a remote server in which I want to install OpenRC (and remove systemd). But if I follow the guide of aaditya [https://abchk1234.wordpress.com/2014/06 … aro-linux/], then after step 1 (reboot), I would loose my ssh connection.

Is there any way of putting ssh as a service of openrc *before* rebooting (end of step 1)? How?

Apart of that, my server is ARM, so I have to trick the packages, but I think I will survive.... ;-)


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#461 2014-12-31 15:15:37

aaditya
Member
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 174

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

xanb wrote:

Just a very radical point: I have a remote server in which I want to install OpenRC (and remove systemd). But if I follow the guide of aaditya [https://abchk1234.wordpress.com/2014/06 … aro-linux/], then after step 1 (reboot), I would loose my ssh connection.

Is there any way of putting ssh as a service of openrc *before* rebooting (end of step 1)? How?

Apart of that, my server is ARM, so I have to trick the packages, but I think I will survive.... ;-)

Before rebooting you could do:

sudo pacman -S openssh-openrc
sudo rc-service sshd start
sudo rc-update add sshd

smile

Offline

#462 2014-12-31 15:31:46

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

aaditya wrote:
xanb wrote:

Thank you very much.  For the netctl substitution I re-discovered netcfg. Perhaps it's better if you install before the reboot of the step 1 of this guide.

Thanks,

Indeed, there seems to be a netcfg package in the AUR which I didnt know about, thx smile

sysctl error is not much serious in my opinion, more like a warning.

Here you have the git tree  and here its official page. You can look to old documentation here (be aware that the wiki version has to be later than 2012-05-13). I think we could contact software developer for maintain this tool. I think it's a great tool for who use the OpenRC. What do you think?

Last edited by xanb (2014-12-31 15:36:34)


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#463 2014-12-31 15:33:59

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

aaditya wrote:
xanb wrote:

Just a very radical point: I have a remote server in which I want to install OpenRC (and remove systemd). But if I follow the guide of aaditya [https://abchk1234.wordpress.com/2014/06 … aro-linux/], then after step 1 (reboot), I would loose my ssh connection.

Is there any way of putting ssh as a service of openrc *before* rebooting (end of step 1)? How?

Apart of that, my server is ARM, so I have to trick the packages, but I think I will survive.... ;-)

Before rebooting you could do:

sudo pacman -S openssh-openrc
sudo rc-service sshd start
sudo rc-update add sshd

smile

Thanks. I will try.


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#464 2014-12-31 15:52:41

aaditya
Member
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 174

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

xanb wrote:
aaditya wrote:
xanb wrote:

Thank you very much.  For the netctl substitution I re-discovered netcfg. Perhaps it's better if you install before the reboot of the step 1 of this guide.

Thanks,

Indeed, there seems to be a netcfg package in the AUR which I didnt know about, thx smile

sysctl error is not much serious in my opinion, more like a warning.

Here you have the git tree  and here its official page. You can look to old documentation here (be aware that the wiki version has to be later than 2012-05-13). I think we could contact software developer for maintain this tool. I think it's a great tool for who use the OpenRC. What do you think?

If it works, I would say just use it.
If it does not, maybe contact the authors (who may have moved on to systemd and may not be interested anymore).

Maybe you can find something in the Gentoo networking docs:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X … figuration

Offline

#465 2014-12-31 15:55:15

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

aaditya wrote:
xanb wrote:
aaditya wrote:

Indeed, there seems to be a netcfg package in the AUR which I didnt know about, thx smile

sysctl error is not much serious in my opinion, more like a warning.

Here you have the git tree  and here its official page. You can look to old documentation here (be aware that the wiki version has to be later than 2012-05-13). I think we could contact software developer for maintain this tool. I think it's a great tool for who use the OpenRC. What do you think?

If it works, I would say just use it.
If it does not, maybe contact the authors (who may have moved on to systemd and may not be interested anymore).

Maybe you can find something in the Gentoo networking docs:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X … figuration


I try to start automatically my wifi using netcfg. I use this page: https://www.archlinux.org/netcfg/features.html, but net-profiles is missing service. Can anyone could help me to write it?

Thanks,


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#466 2014-12-31 15:57:36

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

xanb wrote:

I try to start automatically my wifi using netcfg. I use this page: https://www.archlinux.org/netcfg/features.html, but net-profiles is missing service. Can anyone could help me to write it?

Thanks,

I find this: https://github.com/kylef/netcfg/blob/0d … t-profiles but I don't know how to adapt to OpenRC.. No, I think, this is better: https://projects.archlinux.org/netcfg.git/tree/scripts

Last edited by xanb (2014-12-31 16:00:03)


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#467 2014-12-31 16:13:03

Lone_Wolf
Member
From: Netherlands, Europe
Registered: 2005-10-04
Posts: 7,146

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

Check this post on page 5 of this thread :
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 8#p1211408

That's the service i've been using with openrc apg packages for a long time now.
You just have to adapt it artoo way of configuring openrc.


Multi-init booting with apg Openrc and systemd coexisting
Automounting : not needed, i prefer pmount
Aur helpers : makepkg + my own local repo === rarely need them

Offline

#468 2014-12-31 16:26:51

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Check this post on page 5 of this thread :
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 8#p1211408

That's the service i've been using with openrc apg packages for a long time now.
You just have to adapt it artoo way of configuring openrc.


Thanks a lot, Lone_Wolf. But I need multiple profiles. I have my profiles in

NETWORKS =(@myprof @anotherprof)

in /etc/conf.d/netcfg

And surely I have no idea of adapting such thing. I'm newbee here :-) Can anyone help me? thanks in advance and happy new year!


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#469 2014-12-31 16:47:25

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

When I update to new openrc 0.13.6-1 I get:

error: openrc-core: signature from "Aaditya Bagga <...>" is unknown trust
....
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#470 2014-12-31 16:53:36

aaditya
Member
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 174

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

xanb wrote:

When I update to new openrc 0.13.6-1 I get:

error: openrc-core: signature from "Aaditya Bagga <...>" is unknown trust
....
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

Hi Xanb,

I had tried the update on my Arch VM, it had worked there.

Maybe you downloaded a corrupt package, or the key is missing, in which case you could try the following:

sudo rm /var/cache/pacman/pkg/openrc-core-0.13.6-1-*
sudo pacman-key -r 518B147D
sudo pacman-key --lsign 518B147D
sudo pacman -Syu

Offline

#471 2014-12-31 17:01:19

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

aaditya wrote:
xanb wrote:

When I update to new openrc 0.13.6-1 I get:

error: openrc-core: signature from "Aaditya Bagga <...>" is unknown trust
....
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

Hi Xanb,

I had tried the update on my Arch VM, it had worked there.

Maybe you downloaded a corrupt package, or the key is missing, in which case you could try the following:

sudo rm /var/cache/pacman/pkg/openrc-core-0.13.6-1-*
sudo pacman-key -r 518B147D
sudo pacman-key --lsign 518B147D
sudo pacman -Syu

No. It does not work. The problem is not with old files is with new ones (even if I run pacman-key with no problems):

error: openrc-core: signature from "Aaditya Bagga <...>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/openrc-core-0.13.6-1-x86_64.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n]
... (in every single package the same message appears)
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#472 2014-12-31 17:03:27

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

I know the reason: date is not properly set. Sorry for the inconvenience. My fault. I have to install ntp


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#473 2014-12-31 17:15:40

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

I have to  rebuild the entire pacman-key for this minimal issue. Now, no problem. Thanks.


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

#474 2014-12-31 17:18:12

aaditya
Member
Registered: 2013-09-01
Posts: 174

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

xanb wrote:

I have to  rebuild the entire pacman-key for this minimal issue. Now, no problem. Thanks.

Ah, and there is haveged-openrc package for the haveged service if you need it in the future smile

Offline

#475 2014-12-31 17:24:09

xanb
Member
Registered: 2012-07-24
Posts: 409

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

aaditya wrote:
xanb wrote:

I have to  rebuild the entire pacman-key for this minimal issue. Now, no problem. Thanks.

Ah, and there is haveged-openrc package for the haveged service if you need it in the future smile

Thank you very much.


Owning one OpenRC (artoo way) and other three systemd machines

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB