You are not logged in.

#576 2015-04-09 19:23:30

Anticitizen

Re: OpenRC & eudev on Arch

OK, reading them solved my first problem, but it didn't helped my dbus and xfce problems.

#577 2015-04-09 20:16:22

aaditya

Anticitizen wrote:

OK, reading them solved my first problem, but it didn't helped my dbus and xfce problems.

Hmm, are you using the openrc/consolekit packages for networkmanager and xfce4-session...

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/netw … er-openrc/
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xfce … onsolekit/

Both of the above will require a running ck-session to work properly, for which you could use:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lxdm-consolekit/

Last edited by aaditya (2015-04-10 04:45:42)

#578 2015-04-10 13:03:48

Anticitizen

@aaditya
Yes, I have them and I was using lxdm with ck session, but even when I start ck session manually the problems still occur.

#579 2015-04-10 14:49:58

aaditya

Anticitizen wrote:

@aaditya
Yes, I have them and I was using lxdm with ck session, but even when I start ck session manually the problems still occur.

Just for verification, could you post the output of the following commands:

xfce4-session-logout
ck-list-sessions
rc-status
pgrep -l polkit

#580 2015-04-10 18:19:16

Anticitizen

aaditya wrote:
Anticitizen wrote:

@aaditya

Just for verification, could you post the output of the following commands:

xfce4-session-logout
ck-list-sessions
rc-status
pgrep -l polkit

Xfce4-session-logout cause my XFCE to freeze.
ck-list-sessions:

Session1:
	unix-user = '1000'
	realname = 'lich'
	seat = 'Seat2'
	session-type = ''
	active = FALSE
	x11-display = ''
	x11-display-device = ''
	display-device = '/dev/tty1'
	remote-host-name = ''
	is-local = FALSE
	on-since = '2015-04-10T12:50:19.021379Z'
	login-session-id = ''
	idle-since-hint = '2015-04-10T18:16:17.698949Z'

rc-status:

Runlevel: default
 hdparm                                                            [  started  ]
 dbus                                                              [  started  ]
 consolekit                                                        [  started  ]
 alsasound                                                         [  started  ]
 fuse                                                              [  started  ]
 NetworkManager                                                    [  started  ]
 acpid                                                             [  started  ]
 autofs                                                            [  started  ]
 cronie                                                            [  started  ]
 cupsd                                                             [  started  ]
 haveged                                                           [  started  ]
 netmount                                                          [  started  ]
 udev-postmount                                                    [  started  ]
 local                                                             [  started  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: hotplugged
Dynamic Runlevel: needed
 avahi-daemon                                                      [  started  ]
Dynamic Runlevel: manual

pgrep -l polkit

5485 polkitd

#581 2015-04-10 18:28:01

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

active = FALSE
display-device = '/dev/tty1'

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … n_same_TTY

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#582 2015-04-10 19:14:41

Anticitizen

Oh, it solved all my problems. You guys are based.

#583 2015-04-10 19:28:12

aaditya

Anticitizen wrote:

pgrep -l polkit

5485 polkitd

A small note, you seem to be missing a graphical polkit agent (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … ion_agents)

#584 2015-04-10 19:43:07

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

That might explain why failed permissions cause an XFCE freeze... without graphical agent, it launches pkttyagent, which then blocks waiting for an interaction. Or so I saw anyway on my system.

Last edited by Alad (2015-04-10 19:47:39)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#585 2015-04-10 20:00:03

aaditya

Alad wrote:

That might explain why failed permissions cause an XFCE freeze... without graphical agent, it launches pkttyagent, which then blocks waiting for an interaction. Or so I saw anyway on my system.

I just tried killing lxpolkit and then using xfce4-session-logout; it seemed to work correctly, so it was probably the consolekit tty issue.

Last edited by aaditya (2015-04-10 20:00:15)

#586 2015-04-10 20:01:57

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Sure, because if consolekit works then you don't need to ask for the password. wink

#587 2015-04-27 06:24:05

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Am having problems with consolekit too, ck-list-sessions show FALSE. Not sure where to add the openvt line? /etc/rc.local or .xinitrc?

Mr Green

#588 2015-04-27 06:53:59

nous
Website

Mr Green wrote:

Am having problems with consolekit too, ck-list-sessions show FALSE. Not sure where to add the openvt line? /etc/rc.local or .xinitrc?

As Alad has posted above you need startx -- -keeptty. The openvt solution relates to a different problem and that can be fixed in /etc/init.d/consolekit.

#589 2015-04-27 17:14:28

pepib

I have just switched to openRC but I have a question related to net. My actual scenario is the following I have two interfaces wlp2s0 (my primary interface) and enp1s0 (used rarely) and I use networkmanager. I have installed networkmanager and dhcpcd and after I added the services with "rc-update add..." but I have the following errors: http://pastebin.com/DG7nH2Q5. Where I wrong, I don't understand.

#590 2015-04-27 17:20:01

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

@nous thank you I will give it try, noticed that with lxdm-consolekit it seems to work ok

Mr Green

#591 2015-04-27 17:23:18

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

pepib wrote:

I have just switched to openRC but I have a question related to net. My actual scenario is the following I have two interfaces wlp2s0 (my primary interface) and enp1s0 (used rarely) and I use networkmanager. I have installed networkmanager and dhcpcd and after I added the services with "rc-update add..." but I have the following errors: http://pastebin.com/DG7nH2Q5. Where I wrong, I don't understand.

Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf'.
 *     start-stop-daemon: failed to start `/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant'

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/40661

#592 2015-04-27 17:58:14

aaditya

@pepib, could you post the output of rc-status

As per my understanding, if you are using networkmanager, you do not need to enable any other network related services like dhcpcd or net.wlp2s0

#593 2015-04-27 18:51:36

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

@aaditya how does openrc handle mkinitcpio and its need for systemd?

Mr Green

#594 2015-04-27 19:00:08

aaditya

Mr Green wrote:

I did not know that mkinitcpio explicitly required systemd...

I have the following hooks in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and it seems to work here:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard keymap fsck usr shutdown"

#595 2015-04-27 19:40:27

pepib

as required the output command of rc-status

dhcpcd                                                            [  started  ]
 netmount                                                          [  stopped  ]
 xdm                                                               [ starting  ]
 alsasound                                                         [  stopped  ]
 cronie                                                            [  stopped  ]
 cupsd                                                             [  stopped  ]
 fuse                                                              [  stopped  ]
 sshd                                                              [  stopped  ]
 udev-postmount                                                    [  stopped  ]
 local                                                             [  stopped  ]
 xdm-setup                                                         [  started  ]

#596 2015-04-27 20:00:46

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

aaditya wrote:
Mr Green wrote:

I did not know that mkinitcpio explicitly required systemd...

I have the following hooks in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and it seems to work here:

HOOKS="base udev autodetect modconf block filesystems keyboard keymap fsck usr shutdown"

Mkinitcpio requires systemd, my concern is on kernel updates. Back of my mind is will an update/package break my system. So far I am more than happy with the results. It might possible to rebuild mkinitcpio and remove its need for systemd. Not really looked at it yet.

Mr Green

#597 2015-04-27 21:54:48

nous
Website

pepib wrote:

Additionally to the previous answers, your installation seems to be missing the '/run' directory (or its /var/run symlink).

#598 2015-04-27 22:15:23

nous
Website

Mr Green wrote:

Mkinitcpio requires systemd, my concern is on kernel updates. Back of my mind is will an update/package break my system. So far I am more than happy with the results. It might possible to rebuild mkinitcpio and remove its need for systemd. Not really looked at it yet.

mkinitcpio itself is just a bash script; the systemd dependency is there (probably; I can't verify this anymore) because some of the package's files are systemd-related, namely the rebuild-at-shutdown service, which is no longer deemed necessary anyways:

mkinitcpio /usr/lib/systemd/
mkinitcpio /usr/lib/systemd/system/
mkinitcpio /usr/lib/systemd/system/mkinitcpio-generate-shutdown-ramfs.service
mkinitcpio /usr/lib/systemd/system/shutdown.target.wants/
mkinitcpio /usr/lib/systemd/system/shutdown.target.wants/mkinitcpio-generate-shutdown-ramfs.service

There are also some very systemd-specific mkinitcpio hooks (systemd and sd-*), which aren't used in other init systems. Ergo, for the time being, your initramfs is safe.

#599 2015-04-27 22:29:13

jjacky
Website

Don't forget systemd provides udev...

#600 2015-04-28 02:48:07

aaditya

pepib wrote:

as required the output command of rc-status

dhcpcd                                                            [  started  ]
 netmount                                                          [  stopped  ]
 xdm                                                               [ starting  ]
 alsasound                                                         [  stopped  ]
 cronie                                                            [  stopped  ]
 cupsd                                                             [  stopped  ]
 fuse                                                              [  stopped  ]
 sshd                                                              [  stopped  ]
 udev-postmount                                                    [  stopped  ]
 local                                                             [  stopped  ]
 xdm-setup                                                         [  started  ]

You could disable dhcpcd (rc-update del dhcpcd) as its redundant (or even conflicting) with NetworkManager.

Mr Green wrote:

Mkinitcpio requires systemd, my concern is on kernel updates. Back of my mind is will an update/package break my system.

Did not face this issue yet, but yes it could be a possibility in the future.

jjacky wrote:

Don't forget systemd provides udev...

Currently using eudev along with eudev-systemdcompat..

Board footer