You are not logged in.

#701 2019-06-19 23:25:45

quequotion
Website

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

Vipah wrote:

What you mean by that? Do I need a graphical login?

No, it just means verifying the wiki won't help you in the immediate. (Though the wiki could always use some help).

First, have you configured your system to boot directly to X11, or do you expect to login at a terminal, enter a tty, and do something like startx?

Second, I have a theory about this:

I tried it but I ended up with a pointer on a blue background.

Sounds like your window manager (gala) didn't start, or got stuck.

cerbere is probably running with the default gsetting:

$ gsettings get io.elementary.desktop.cerbere monitored-processes
['wingpanel', 'plank']

You might try appending gala to that list (old solution to a similar problem with older versions of pantheon-session):

$ gsettings set io.elementary.desktop.cerbere monitored-processes "['wingpanel', 'plank', 'gala']"

Then, with exec cerbere in your .xinitrc, you should get a whole desktop environment when you startx. (No need for gnome-session).

Gala is usually started by gnome-session, among other things via: /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/pantheon.session. Not sure why it wouldn't have worked when you ran gnome-session from the tty; but then I haven't tried running gnome-session from a tty.

Last edited by quequotion (2019-06-19 23:35:10)

#702 2019-06-21 08:26:09

Use**ame

Vipah, add this to your xinintrc

export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
exec gnome-session --session=pantheon

Now everything should be fine. I had to add wingpanel and plank to the autoload.

#703 2019-07-24 05:32:43

adsoncicilioti

Hi guys,

I particularly love Arch and I love Pantheon, and I've been trying to use it satisfactorily, and in pain learning how to install it. I tried to follow the Wiki but I can't get past the gala compilation (-git - as wiki). I left an Issue at Alucryd Repo.

So I found a really nice guy who published this tutorial and has kept it updated. Following it I installed using pantheon-stable. Everything goes well. Except the Pantheon-Greeter. But I use another greeter that satisfies me in LightDM.

I am in a clean install where I only installed vala and an AUR Helper (yay)

So let's go to what doesn't work and it's pissing me off:

- Night light - I got used to this Feature on Windows, Gnome, and Elementary OS itself. I would like to understand what is missing to work.
- Logout - too late to log out, and when I log back in I have to log in twice.
- Shortcut Keys - Mainly involving Screen Capture. I tried to recreate the combinations with the PRINT key but they don't work. META + T key for Terminal does not even exist in the list. In short no Custom combination works. And I use it a lot. Too bad to be without.
- Music - Application does not open. In the terminal it returns:

$ io.elementary.music
[1] 20872 segmentation fault (core dumped) io.elementary.music

- Sharing - This I can use with part tools like MiniDLNA. But it would be nice to use it the right way. What is missing for this to work?
- Appearance / Tweaker - I like the default Elementary theme, but let's be aware that there are also several compatible GTK's themes that allow us a bit of freedom in customizing Pantheon.  Another very bad thing is not being able to change the layout of the window buttons. It simply does not work.
The only thing that seems to work is the change of Cursors and Dark mode.

I would spend a lot on using this environment more satisfactorily.

If anyone can help fix some of these problems, I will be very happy.

#704 2019-08-01 09:57:16

Use**ame

adsoncicilioti, Hi!

The location of the window buttons can be changed by creating the file ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini:

gtk-decoration-layout=close:maximize

I was able to solve some problems (night mode, custom keyboard shortcuts, changing themes and icons) by simply launching the pantheon using xinitrc:

startx

#705 2019-11-04 07:21:30

quequotion
Website

Some bug reports I'd like to highlight, in case anyone else runs into the same problems:

port to libecal-2.0: wingpanel-indicator-datetime currently fails to build since Archlinux already ships evolution-data-server 3.34.1 in [extra] with libecal-2.0. This can be temporarily worked around by downgrading to evolution-data-server 3.32.2.

EDIT: fix committed; wingpanel-indicator-datetime-git now builds.

Tag a new GPG signed release: neither wingpanel, nor its dependency gala are available in [community] yet. This probably isn't the only reason why, but having an up-to-date official release of gala to build wingpanel against might help them get there some day. EDIT: Both gala and wingpanel's stable release packages fail to build against mutter 3.34, shipped in [extra]--however, their git masters have been updated. Also, mutter was the reason gala hadn't had an actual release since 2015, but that seems to have changed.

EDIT: Gala 3.2.0 released! Also, gala will start using a standard release method from this point forward.

libindicator ftbfs: G_ADD_PRIVATE: libindicator-ubuntu, a dependency of wingpanel-indicator-ayatana and wingpanel-indicator-namarupa fails to build because it's using an API deprecated from glib2. These plugins handle Ayatana indicators such as glippy.

Last edited by quequotion (2020-01-12 23:23:27)

#706 2019-11-26 18:03:18

dgsga

Hi
I'm new to ArchLinux. I've have a system with SDDM and Plasma installed and am trying to install the Pantheon DE. I have followed the wiki and installed all the AUR -git packages but cannot get past the "Oh No, something's wrong" error that occurs each time I try to login. I have tried using SDDM, LightDM and the .xinitrc approach with the following content but get the same error each time:

exec cerbere

What am I missing? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated...

Last edited by dgsga (2019-11-26 18:04:00)

#707 2019-11-27 10:42:42

quequotion
Website

dgsga wrote:

"Oh No, something's wrong"

What's in /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/pantheon.session?

This file specifies the components that gnome-session initiates and watches to determine if the session has crashed. One of those components may be failing to start.

I have had that problem in the past related to gnome-settings-daemon (dependency of pantheon-session-git).

You may need to install gnome-settings-daemon-elementary instead.

Last edited by quequotion (2019-11-27 10:43:24)

#708 2019-11-27 18:03:38

dgsga

quequotion wrote:
dgsga wrote:

"Oh No, something's wrong"

What's in /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/pantheon.session?

This file specifies the components that gnome-session initiates and watches to determine if the session has crashed. One of those components may be failing to start.

I have had that problem in the past related to gnome-settings-daemon (dependency of pantheon-session-git).

You may need to install gnome-settings-daemon-elementary instead.

Quequotion, thanks for helping out, here is what's in pantheon.session at the moment:

[GNOME Session]
Name=Pantheon
RequiredComponents=gala;gala-daemon;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.A11ySettings;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Clipboard;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Color;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Datetime;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Housekeeping;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Keyboard;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.MediaKeys;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Mouse;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.PrintNotifications;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Rfkill;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sharing;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Smartcard;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sound;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Wacom;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.XSettings;
FallbackSession=gnome
DesktopName=Pantheon

#709 2019-11-28 03:28:44

quequotion
Website

dgsga wrote:
RequiredComponents=gala;gala-daemon;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.A11ySettings;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Clipboard;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Color;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Datetime;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Housekeeping;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Keyboard;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.MediaKeys;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Mouse;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.PrintNotifications;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Rfkill;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sharing;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Smartcard;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Sound;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Wacom;org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.XSettings;

Try removing org.gnome.SettingsDaemon and everything after it on that line:

RequiredComponents=gala;gala-daemon;

Also, the forum supports bbcode:

[code]Try code tags![/code]

#710 2019-11-28 09:51:00

dgsga

quequotion wrote:
dgsga wrote:

Try removing org.gnome.SettingsDaemon and everything after it on that line:

RequiredComponents=gala;gala-daemon;

Also, the forum supports bbcode:

[code]Try code tags![/code]

Hi quequotion
I tried your suggestion with some progress. I now get a desktop with wallpaper and a mouse cursor, but unfortunately no wingpanel bar or mouse-click functions so I can't interact with it in any way...

#711 2019-11-28 17:36:12

quequotion
Website

dgsga wrote:

I now get a desktop with wallpaper and a mouse cursor, but unfortunately no wingpanel bar or mouse-click functions

No wingpanel, and no plank either? If both failed to start, maybe cerbere isn't getting started (it should have installed an xdg autostart, but that strategy has failed before).

In the case of pantheon-3d and pantheon-lite, I had to append cerbere to their RequiredComponents; perhaps the same thing would work for you:

RequiredComponents=gala;gala-daemon;io.elementary.cerbere;

EDIT: Changes are coming that may invalidate this advice (and hopefully also the problem).
Cerbere's days appear to be numbered.

Last edited by quequotion (2020-01-12 23:16:33)

#712 2019-11-29 08:31:42

dgsga

quequotion wrote:
dgsga wrote:

I now get a desktop with wallpaper and a mouse cursor, but unfortunately no wingpanel bar or mouse-click functions

No wingpanel, and no plank either? If both failed to start, maybe cerbere isn't getting started (it should have installed an xdg autostart, but that strategy has failed before).

In the case of pantheon-3d and pantheon-lite, I had to append cerbere to their RequiredComponents; perhaps the same thing would work for you:

RequiredComponents=gala;gala-daemon;io.elementary.cerbere;

Still no joy unfortunately. I'm not sure where to go from here. Do you go for the AUR packages as per the wiki or do you use Alucryd's repos to get a working desktop, or a mix of the two? I'm also unsure if I should have anything else in my ~/.xinitrc file. Thanks for helping with this...

#713 2019-11-29 11:41:03

quequotion
Website

dgsga wrote:

a mix of the two?

I would not recommend mixing the AUR and [extra-alucryd] repository packages, or using an AUR helper at all with this repository enabled.

The wiki needs work, and so do the packages (some of it upstream). Something I've been working on is reducing the AUR dependency chains for some of my packages.

Many of the "stable release" package set (those available in [community] and AUR packages without -git) are working together and seem to be up to their Juno releases. I am using a setup consisting of mostly these packages, but I am not sure it's something that should go on the wiki (yet, we need to get more pantheon packages into [community]  to make this really work).

dgsga wrote:

I'm also unsure if I should have anything else in my ~/.xinitrc

Check the wiki on this. There are several things login managers like lightdm take care of that have to be specified in xinitrc, such as unlocking your gnome keyring.

Last edited by quequotion (2019-12-01 02:12:13)

#714 2020-01-16 08:42:59

quequotion
Website

Some fresh issues I'd like to highlight:

Cerbere is on its way out; this should be the end of "a stop job is running for ... " 90 second shutdown delays.

Switchboard is getting look and feel improvements.

There is a new (actually several months old), standalone notifications daemon! It's hardcoded to work with elementary's GTK theme only, but I'm going to see if there's something I can do about that. In the meantime, you might specify the theme in it's xdg autostart .desktop file (if you aren't using gtk-theme-elementary for your system theme):

Exec=env GTK_THEME=elementary io.elementary.notifications

Last edited by quequotion (2020-01-16 16:19:28)

#715 2020-02-06 23:40:36

spyrou

Hi all,
I am new to Pantheon, as I just read some good stories about it.

quequotion: Thank you for your great support. I have been searching around, and obviously, he answers were in our BBS. big_smile

Following the Arch Wiki, I have installed:

1. pantheon-session-git

2. mutter

3. pantheon-default-settings-git

At that point, When I was trying to login, I was having the similar error:

dgsga wrote:

"Oh No, something's wrong" error

and you helped out with:

quequotion wrote:

In "/usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/pantheon.session" , Try removing org.gnome.SettingsDaemon and everything after it on that line.

I think you should spend some time in the wiki, your knowledge would be very much appreciated, and would help people having a right first time experience of Pantheon.

Keep doing good work.

#716 2020-02-07 16:27:03

quequotion
Website

spyrou wrote:

I am new to Pantheon, as I just read some good stories about it.

Welcome to the fold, spyrou!

spyrou wrote:

I think you should spend some time in the wiki, your knowledge would be very much appreciated, and would help people having a right first time experience of Pantheon.

Keep doing good work.

Thank you for the endorsement! I have been working on a rewrite, for if/when we have a full set of the basic pantheon packages available in [community] (we're getting there; since Gala had an official release Alucryd has been able to move forward with a number of packages; upstream have resolved many of the dependency issues that have kept a lot of packages in the AUR).

For now it seems like a reasonable thing to add the pantheon.session issue to the "Known Issues" section. I had hoped it would be resolved upstream, and I have not yet heard back why they decided to keep this. There are a number of related issues, most of them already closed, but it is worth noting this may be worked around in the next release of elementary OS by switching to systemd session management.

#717 2020-02-09 12:26:20

roi.dm

i got it working but you need to edit the "Exec" part of every org.gnome.Settings.Daemon.XXXX-patheon.desktop and change it to /usr/lib/gsd-xxxx ....   by default is /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-xxxx ,after that edit the pantheon.session,  add io.elementary.cerbere and remove org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Clipboard and org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Mouse and finally edit the exec line in pantheon.desktop and add --builtin , something like this "Exec=gnome-session --builtin --session=pantheon"

edit: to use the new pantheon-notifications use dconf-editor and got to /org/pantheon/desktop/gala/behavior/use-new-notifications "true"

https://imgur.com/0e4H8By

Last edited by roi.dm (2020-02-09 14:12:36)

#718 2020-02-28 03:23:25

Use**ame

I decided to return to the Pantheon again, but the gala-git package could not be compiled

yay -S pantheon-session-git
:: There are 2 providers available for wingpanel-git:
:: Repository AUR
    1) wingpanel-git 2) wingpanel-standalone-git 

Enter a number (default=1): 
:: There are 2 providers available for gala-git:
:: Repository AUR
    1) gala-git 2) pantheon-workarounds 

Enter a number (default=1): 
:: Checking for conflicts...
:: Checking for inner conflicts...

==> Inner conflicts found:
 -> switchboard-git: switchboard

==> Conflicting packages will have to be confirmed manually

[Repo: 22]  libgtop-2.40.0+2+g31db82ef-1  bamf-0.5.4-2  zenity-3.32.0+17+gfb0938f-1  geocode-glib-3.26.1-1  libgweather-3.34.0-1  geoclue-2.5.5+6+gea52170-1  gnome-settings-daemon-3.34.2-1  graphene-1.10.0-1  gst-plugins-base-1.16.2-1  sbc-1.4-1  pipewire-0.2.7-2  xorg-server-xwayland-1.20.7-1  mutter-3.34.4-1  plank-0.11.89-1  gnome-session-3.34.2-1  libstemmer-0+713-1  appstream-0.12.10-2  cogl-1.22.4-1  clutter-1.26.2-2  clutter-gtk-1.8.4-1  switchboard-2.3.8-1  xdg-user-dirs-gtk-0.10+9+g5b7efc6-2
[Repo Make: 2]  vala-0.46.6-1  gnome-common-3.18.0-3
[Aur: 7]  cerbere-git-0.2.4-1  gala-git-0.3.0.r238.0f0724c-1  switchboard-git-r1211.cd4124e-1  wingpanel-git-r543.fb81bcb-1  pantheon-applications-menu-git-2.4.2.r28.e239eb7-1  pantheon-dpms-helper-git-r6.6e0d292-1  pantheon-session-git-r133.98a7230-1

==> Remove make dependencies after install? [y/N] 
  7 cerbere-git                              (Build Files Exist)
  6 gala-git                                 (Build Files Exist)
  5 switchboard-git                          (Build Files Exist)
  4 wingpanel-git                            (Build Files Exist)
  3 pantheon-applications-menu-git           (Build Files Exist)
  2 pantheon-dpms-helper-git                 (Build Files Exist)
  1 pantheon-session-git                     (Build Files Exist)
==> Packages to cleanBuild?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> 
:: PKGBUILD up to date, Skipping (1/7): pantheon-session-git
:: PKGBUILD up to date, Skipping (2/7): switchboard-git
:: PKGBUILD up to date, Skipping (3/7): cerbere-git
:: PKGBUILD up to date, Skipping (4/7): gala-git
:: PKGBUILD up to date, Skipping (5/7): pantheon-applications-menu-git
:: PKGBUILD up to date, Skipping (6/7): wingpanel-git
:: PKGBUILD up to date, Skipping (7/7): pantheon-dpms-helper-git
  7 cerbere-git                              (Build Files Exist)
  6 gala-git                                 (Build Files Exist)
  5 switchboard-git                          (Build Files Exist)
  4 wingpanel-git                            (Build Files Exist)
  3 pantheon-applications-menu-git           (Build Files Exist)
  2 pantheon-dpms-helper-git                 (Build Files Exist)
  1 pantheon-session-git                     (Build Files Exist)
==> Diffs to show?
==> [N]one [A]ll [Ab]ort [I]nstalled [No]tInstalled or (1 2 3, 1-3, ^4)
==> 
:: Parsing SRCINFO (1/7): cerbere-git
:: Parsing SRCINFO (2/7): gala-git
:: Parsing SRCINFO (3/7): switchboard-git
:: Parsing SRCINFO (4/7): wingpanel-git
:: Parsing SRCINFO (5/7): pantheon-applications-menu-git
:: Parsing SRCINFO (6/7): pantheon-dpms-helper-git
:: Parsing SRCINFO (7/7): pantheon-session-git
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (24) appstream-0.12.10-2  bamf-0.5.4-2  clutter-1.26.2-2  clutter-gtk-1.8.4-1  cogl-1.22.4-1  geoclue-2.5.5+6+gea52170-1
              geocode-glib-3.26.1-1  gnome-common-3.18.0-3  gnome-session-3.34.2-1  gnome-settings-daemon-3.34.2-1  graphene-1.10.0-1
              gst-plugins-base-1.16.2-1  libgtop-2.40.0+2+g31db82ef-1  libgweather-3.34.0-1  libstemmer-0+713-1  mutter-3.34.4-1  pipewire-0.2.7-2
              plank-0.11.89-1  sbc-1.4-1  switchboard-2.3.8-1  vala-0.46.6-1  xdg-user-dirs-gtk-0.10+9+g5b7efc6-2  xorg-server-xwayland-1.20.7-1
              zenity-3.32.0+17+gfb0938f-1

Total Installed Size:  104.91 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(24/24) checking keys in keyring                                                           [#####################################################] 100%
(24/24) checking package integrity                                                         [#####################################################] 100%
(24/24) loading package files                                                              [#####################################################] 100%
(24/24) checking for file conflicts                                                        [#####################################################] 100%
(24/24) checking available disk space                                                      [#####################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
( 1/24) installing vala                                                                    [#####################################################] 100%
( 2/24) installing libgtop                                                                 [#####################################################] 100%
( 3/24) installing bamf                                                                    [#####################################################] 100%
( 4/24) installing zenity                                                                  [#####################################################] 100%
( 5/24) installing geocode-glib                                                            [#####################################################] 100%
( 6/24) installing libgweather                                                             [#####################################################] 100%
( 7/24) installing geoclue                                                                 [#####################################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for geoclue
    libnotify: Demo Agent [installed]
( 8/24) installing gnome-settings-daemon                                                   [#####################################################] 100%
( 9/24) installing graphene                                                                [#####################################################] 100%
(10/24) installing gst-plugins-base                                                        [#####################################################] 100%
(11/24) installing sbc                                                                     [#####################################################] 100%
(12/24) installing pipewire                                                                [#####################################################] 100%
Created symlink /etc/systemd/user/sockets.target.wants/pipewire.socket → /usr/lib/systemd/user/pipewire.socket.
(13/24) installing xorg-server-xwayland                                                    [#####################################################] 100%
(14/24) installing mutter                                                                  [#####################################################] 100%
(15/24) installing plank                                                                   [#####################################################] 100%
(16/24) installing gnome-common                                                            [#####################################################] 100%
(17/24) installing gnome-session                                                           [#####################################################] 100%
(18/24) installing libstemmer                                                              [#####################################################] 100%
(19/24) installing appstream                                                               [#####################################################] 100%
(20/24) installing cogl                                                                    [#####################################################] 100%
(21/24) installing clutter                                                                 [#####################################################] 100%
(22/24) installing clutter-gtk                                                             [#####################################################] 100%
(23/24) installing switchboard                                                             [#####################################################] 100%
Optional dependencies for switchboard
    switchboard-plug-about: About plug
    switchboard-plug-applications: Applications plug
    switchboard-plug-datetime: Date & Time plug
    switchboard-plug-desktop: Desktop plug
    switchboard-plug-display: Display plug
    switchboard-plug-elementary-tweaks: Elementary Tweaks plug
    switchboard-plug-keyboard: Keyboard plug
    switchboard-plug-locale: Locale plug
    switchboard-plug-network: Network plug
    switchboard-plug-notifications: Notifications plug
    switchboard-plug-power: Power plug
    switchboard-plug-security-privacy: Security & Privacy plug
(24/24) installing xdg-user-dirs-gtk                                                       [#####################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
( 1/11) Creating system user accounts...
( 2/11) Reloading system manager configuration...
( 3/11) Creating temporary files...
( 4/11) Reloading device manager configuration...
( 5/11) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
( 6/11) Reloading system bus configuration...
( 7/11) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
( 8/11) Updating icon theme caches...
( 9/11) Updating the info directory file...
(10/11) Updating the appstream cache...
AppStream cache update completed successfully.
(11/11) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
==> Making package: cerbere-git 0.2.4-1 (Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:08:41 AM +07)
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Updating cerbere git repo...
Fetching origin
==> Validating source files with sha256sums...
    cerbere ... Skipped
==> Making package: gala-git 0.3.0.r238.0f0724c-1 (Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:08:44 AM +07)
  -> Updating gala git repo...
Fetching origin
    gala ... Skipped
==> Making package: switchboard-git r1211.cd4124e-1 (Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:08:46 AM +07)
  -> Updating switchboard git repo...
Fetching origin
    switchboard ... Skipped
==> Making package: wingpanel-git r543.fb81bcb-1 (Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:08:49 AM +07)
  -> Updating wingpanel git repo...
Fetching origin
    wingpanel ... Skipped
==> Making package: pantheon-applications-menu-git 2.4.2.r28.e239eb7-1 (Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:08:54 AM +07)
  -> Updating pantheon-applications-menu git repo...
Fetching origin
    pantheon-applications-menu ... Skipped
==> Making package: pantheon-dpms-helper-git r6.6e0d292-1 (Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:08:58 AM +07)
  -> Updating dpms-helper git repo...
Fetching origin
    dpms-helper ... Skipped
==> Making package: pantheon-session-git r133.98a7230-1 (Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:09:06 AM +07)
  -> Updating pantheon-session git repo...
Fetching origin
    pantheon-session ... Skipped
vala not satisfied, flushing install queue
==> Making package: cerbere-git 0.2.4-1 (Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:09:09 AM +07)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
  -> Updating cerbere git repo...
Fetching origin
    cerbere ... Skipped
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory...
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Creating working copy of cerbere git repo...
Cloning into 'cerbere'...
done.
==> Starting pkgver()...
==> Updated version: cerbere-git 2.5.0.r5.5aeb981-1
==> Sources are ready.
==> Making package: cerbere-git 2.5.0.r5.5aeb981-1 (Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:09:14 AM +07)
==> WARNING: Using existing $srcdir/ tree
==> Starting pkgver()...
==> Sources are ready.
==> cerbere-git-2.5.0.r5.5aeb981-1 already made -- skipping build
==> Found git repo: github.com/elementary/cerbere.git
bamf not satisfied, flushing install queue
loading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) cerbere-git-2.5.0.r5.5aeb981-1

Total Installed Size:  0.05 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                             [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                           [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                          [#####################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                        [#####################################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) installing cerbere-git                                                               [#####################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Compiling GSettings XML schema files...
==> Making package: gala-git 0.3.0.r238.0f0724c-1 (Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:09:21 AM +07)
  -> Updating gala git repo...
Fetching origin
    gala ... Skipped
==> Removing existing $srcdir/ directory...
==> Extracting sources...
  -> Creating working copy of gala git repo...
Cloning into 'gala'...
done.
==> Starting pkgver()...
==> Updated version: gala-git 3.2.0.r41.488f9f5-1
==> Sources are ready.
==> Making package: gala-git 3.2.0.r41.488f9f5-1 (Fri 28 Feb 2020 10:09:28 AM +07)
==> WARNING: Using existing $srcdir/ tree
==> Starting pkgver()...
==> Removing existing $pkgdir/ directory...
==> Starting build()...
+ exec meson setup --prefix /usr --libexecdir lib --sbindir bin --buildtype plain --auto-features enabled --wrap-mode nodownload -D b_lto=true -D b_pie=true gala build
The Meson build system
Version: 0.53.1
Source dir: /home/Use**ame/.cache/yay/gala-git/src/gala
Build dir: /home/Use**ame/.cache/yay/gala-git/src/build
Build type: native build
Project name: gala
Project version: 3.2.0
Appending CFLAGS from environment: '-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt'
Appending LDFLAGS from environment: ['-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now']
Appending CPPFLAGS from environment: '-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2'
Appending CFLAGS from environment: '-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt'
Appending LDFLAGS from environment: ['-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now']
C compiler for the host machine: cc (gcc 9.2.1 "cc (Arch Linux 9.2.1+20200130-2) 9.2.1 20200130")
C linker for the host machine: cc GNU ld.bfd 2.34
Vala compiler for the host machine: valac (valac 0.46.6)
Host machine cpu family: x86_64
Host machine cpu: x86_64
Configuring config.h using configuration
Found pkg-config: /usr/bin/pkg-config (1.6.3)
Run-time dependency gio-2.0 found: YES 2.62.5
Run-time dependency gio-unix-2.0 found: YES 2.62.5
Run-time dependency gmodule-2.0 found: YES 2.62.5
Run-time dependency gtk+-3.0 found: YES 3.24.14
Run-time dependency gdk-x11-3.0 found: YES 3.24.14
Run-time dependency gee-0.8 found: YES 0.20.3
Run-time dependency libbamf3 found: YES 0.5.4
Run-time dependency plank found: YES 0.11.89
Run-time dependency granite found: YES 5.3.0
Run-time dependency gnome-desktop-3.0 found: YES 3.34.4
Run-time dependency gnome-settings-daemon found: YES 3.34.2
Library m found: YES
Found CMake: /usr/bin/cmake (3.16.4)
Appending CXXFLAGS from environment: '-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt'
Run-time dependency libmutter-2 found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)
Run-time dependency libmutter-3 found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)
Run-time dependency libmutter-4 found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)
Run-time dependency libmutter-5 found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)
Run-time dependency libmutter-6 found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)

meson.build:226:1: ERROR: Problem encountered: No supported mutter library found!

A full log can be found at /home/Use**ame/.cache/yay/gala-git/src/build/meson-logs/meson-log.txt
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
Error making: gala-git

Does anyone have a solution to build this package?

#719 2020-03-15 17:25:43

quequotion
Website

roi.dm wrote:

you need to edit the "Exec" part of every org.gnome.Settings.Daemon.XXXX-patheon.desktop and change it to /usr/lib/gsd-xxxx ....   by default is /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gsd-xxxx

This will be fixed in an upcoming elementary OS release.

after that edit the pantheon.session,  add io.elementary.cerbere

Good news and bad news, but mostly good: cerbere is being deprecated. The next release of elementary OS is using gnome-session managment with --builtin in the interim, but upstream has in mind to transition to systemd session management.

and remove org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Clipboard and org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Mouse

Thank you for isolating those. I've known for a while the long list of gsd plugins in RequiredComponents is a problem but never took the time to figure out which components were failing. Note: this is subject to the whims of GNOME, and other plugins may fail in the future (which is why the Wiki says to remove them all).

edit: to use the new pantheon-notifications use dconf-editor and got to /org/pantheon/desktop/gala/behavior/use-new-notifications "true"

Note: the new notifications daemon is probably still in beta (works well though).

LOL, All things considered I think this shows good progress for Pantheon on Archlinux: four and a half installation issues, two being kind of the same issue, one covered by the wiki, and--most importantly--you were able to resolve them all!

Welcome to the fold!

#720 2020-03-15 17:45:41

quequotion
Website

Use**ame wrote:

I decided to return to the Pantheon again, but the gala-git package could not be compiled

Does anyone have a solution to build this package?

I've just pushed an update that might help, but I don't think your problem was caused by the package itself. I was never able to reproduce it. I think the problem might be your AUR helper (yay). I strongly suggest you try building the required packages one at a time in a clean chroot. This is something that took time for me to get used to as well, but once I got the hang of it I had no further need for an AUR helper (well, I do use a little downloader though).

#721 2020-03-17 09:08:34

Use**ame

Now everything was assembled without errors. The truth does not work as before.
When I run the video in the picture-in-picture, it does not have buttons for closing and resizing. Keyboard shortcuts do not work, as does tiling.

#722 2020-03-17 13:40:49

quequotion
Website

Use**ame wrote:

Now everything was assembled without errors. The truth does not work as before.
When I run the video in the picture-in-picture, it does not have buttons for closing and resizing. Keyboard shortcuts do not work, as does tiling.

Progress. We're probably missing something to make those work. [tbd:check elementary github for related errors]; it wouldn't surprise me to find that some things were left behind by 3.36 based on recent experience; their toolchain and development cycle follow Ubuntu LTS releases. They're just getting rolling on "focal" [tbd:check elementary github focal gnome-settings-daemon fork] .

Last edited by quequotion (2020-05-07 15:24:12)

#723 2020-03-18 00:57:17

Use**ame

Thanks for your effort!

#724 2020-05-15 00:42:12

Thorned_Rose

Could someone please summarise whether Pantheon works well enough on Arch or not. What works, what doesn't, what's fixable, what is completely broken....?

Sorry I have a massive headache and I'm incredibly tired so I'm struggling to work this out myself. Really appreciate anyone summarising this for me! smile

#725 2020-05-15 05:52:34

Use**ame

Thorned_Rose, Does not work:

Some keyboard shortcuts. You cannot take screenshots, adjust the volume and brightness of the screen, or assign your own keyboard shortcuts to a program. Some systemic combinations work well.

Autostart does not work correctly. It can run the application, or maybe not.

So it goes:)

UDP. Windows also does not stick to the edges of the screen if you move them with the mouse. Event alerts do not work.

Last edited by Use**ame (2020-05-15 10:08:20)

Board footer