#51 2013-08-29 11:52:20

C6M6

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

roi.dm wrote:
Alucryd wrote:
C6M6 wrote:

egtk-4 isn't perfect, for example the menubar are weird, the osd too

http://s23.postimg.org/5kopdrrnr/sada.jpg

look at shotwel, about wingpanel theme don't know why it don't work for you, for me when launched from gdm it work without problems

alucryf, when using the mutter38 branch of gala, gala itself will handle the wallpaper (it will read org.gnome.desktop.background.picture-uri) without pantheon-wallpaper, but for now to change wallpaper you need to reload gala...

Thx for the tip, I've uploaded gala-mutter38-bzr in the AUR, I will update the wiki accordingly. BTW, I'm curious as to how you managed to launch pantheon via gnome-session.
I've also uploaded plank-theme-pantheon-bzr, edit ~/.config/plank/dock1/settings to apply it (name's Pantheon).

it works here too, i've updated cerbere-bzr and pantheon-session-bzr and it seems it did the trick btw if anyone is interested in elementary-tweaks http://pastebay.com/1286683

edit:
this is how the desktop looks right now

http://i.imgur.com/oNV8zNy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/z9dLxJm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WkhPHWi.png
http://i.imgur.com/mQvWVfT.jpg

tryed the bzr pacakges of cerbere,gala and pantheon-session (it hasn't changed), and still have black screen, are you using an ubuntu version of gnome-settings-daemon or gnome-session or lightdm?
because for what i understand the problem is that the environmet vabiable XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP isn't exported from the vanilla packages (but the ubuntu version does this), ad so cerbere isn't launched infact if you see the cerbere.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Cerbere
Comment=Pantheon WatchDog
Icon=view-refresh
Exec=cerbere
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=System
OnlyShowIn=Pantheon
NoDisplay=true
X-GNOME-Autostart-Notify=true
X-GNOME-AutoRestart=false
X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=Panel

there is the entry OnlyShowIn=Pantheon that makes the program autostart only if the XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP variable match Pantheon, my personal solution for the problem is pretty simple, i've created a simple script like:

#!/bin/sh

export XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=Pantheon
exec gnome-session --session pantheon "$@"

make it excutable, ed modified pantheon.dekstop to

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Pantheon
Comment=This session provides elementary experience
#Exec=gnome-session --session=pantheon
Exec=/usr/bin/pantheon-session
TryExec=wingpanel
Icon=
Type=Application

also add gala and pantheon-wallpaper to the cerbere monitoring list (not needed if using the bzr version)
ps:egtk has been update now it's much better, someone made empathy (teleparhy-indicator) work with indicator-messsages?

Last edited by C6M6 (2013-08-29 11:53:24)

#52 2013-08-29 12:46:15

roi.dm

using emapthy-ubuntu (https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-f … thy-ubuntu) works, and yes ur right i'm using gnome-settings-daemon-ubuntu and gsettings-desktop-schemas-ubuntu compiled from https://github.com/chenxiaolong/Unity-for-Arch

edit:

if you want a better album-view in Noise, use this branch lp:~victored/noise/new-album-view

http://i.imgur.com/CJMPE2X.png

Last edited by roi.dm (2013-08-29 13:28:50)

#53 2013-08-29 15:04:29

Kubino

Kubino wrote:

Wallpaper doesn't show although I set it using gsettings. And I can't successfully compile newer version of gala-bzr from AUR than I have, it stops in 6%  - http://pastebin.com/1a9JYFhu

Can you try building against granite-bzr? It works here.

I tried and it really works. Thanks.

#54 2013-09-01 23:53:41

doubleshot

I got my pantheon session running (via gdm), but also some unpleasend problems to deal with:

• clipping in the upper third of my desktop and directly under each window when using the virtual desktop overview (typical grayish gdm background lurks through my wallpaper); this doesn't happen if I use gala in xfce4...

• already reported: Files crashes if Ctrl is pressed; somewhat strange: doesn't happen in gnome 3.8 or xfce4

• can't get many indicators working...

• in most cases the search field within slingshot can't be selected

Btw: which Ubuntu related dependencies am I missing besides libunity? I have 5 plugs within system setting, but most of them don't even open because the 'ubuntu-overlay-scrollbars' key is missing.

#55 2013-09-03 06:45:49

C6M6

doubleshot wrote:
  • clipping in the upper third of my desktop and directly under each window when using the virtual desktop overview (typical grayish gdm background lurks through my wallpaper); this doesn't happen if I use gala in xfce4...

can't verify, since virtualbox crash to me when using the workspace swicher or the windows overview... but maybe a gala bug,, afterall there isn't a version of gala tagged as "stable"

doubleshot wrote:
  • already reported: Files crashes if Ctrl is pressed; somewhat strange: doesn't happen in gnome 3.8 or xfce4

don't happen here... don't know why

doubleshot wrote:
  • can't get many indicators working...

here i've the indicator-session, indicator-sound, indicator-application, indicator-search/synapse, and indicator-messages and they all work (well the latter work more or less...), what indicator did you try, and were have you taken them?

doubleshot wrote:
  • in most cases the search field within slingshot can't be selected

same here, i think it's related to how gala manages the focus of the windows, i've read something on lanchpad, but can't find it now...

for the dependencies apart from libunity and the indicator stuff, there should't be nothing else, apart from gtk2/3-ubuntu (needed by indicator-messages and maybe something else, but can be considered optional), for the ubuntu-overlay-scrollbar i think they are provided by liboverlay-scroolbar packages

about the plugs

Configuring Pantheon is done via switchboard-bzr and its plugs, some of which are available in the AUR, but close to none work as intended for the moment. Instead, most pantheon settings can be altered via dconf, they are located in the org.pantheon key. Use dconf-editor for easy editing.
Also, part of the configuration is handled by gnome-control-center via a dedicated plug, which unfortunately does not support GNOME 3.8. Use gnome-control-center itself and gnome-tweak-tool instead.

something that i find real annoying about gala is that when an application is launched from plank, if there's a windows already focused, the focus isn't given to the new application, but stays with the one alreay opened... (older version of gala don't do so)
ps: wingpanel started to move away from them indicator stuff...

Last edited by C6M6 (2013-09-03 06:46:24)

#56 2013-09-03 08:37:02

Alucryd
Developer
Website

C6M6: Thx for the tip about XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP. I modified pantheon-session-bzr to use your trick, confirmed working with gdm and lightdm. By the way, this shouldn't be needed with lightdm from 1.7.10, setting X-LightDM-DesktopName in the desktop file will export that varable https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1212408.

Good to know wingpanel is going for a plugin based interface (I assume you were referring to the plug-new branch), adding logind support to the current Pantheon session indicator would be a waste of time then.

I'm working on getting the Pantheon greeter to work with lightdm-devel from my unofficial repo. It works with lightdm from [community], but using 1.7.12 I can't interact with it, switching tty works so keyboard input work, but it is not registered by the greeter so I can't enter my password. Also, customizing is a hassle because we need to alter the dconf settings of the lightdm user. A partial solution would be to run the greeter as my user, but I don't like that. Don't know how the elementary guys are managing this, but changing your wallpaper also changes the greeter background.

Aprat from that, I don't have any problem with the workspace view (not running in a VM here), and gala is also not focusing newly opened applications here either.

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

#57 2013-09-03 08:42:14

roi.dm

Alucryd wrote:

C6M6: Thx for the tip about XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP. I modified pantheon-session-bzr to use your trick, confirmed working with gdm and lightdm. By the way, this shouldn't be needed with lightdm from 1.7.10, setting X-LightDM-DesktopName in the desktop file will export that varable https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm/+bug/1212408.

Good to know wingpanel is going for a plugin based interface (I assume you were referring to the plug-new branch), adding logind support to the current Pantheon session indicator would be a waste of time then.

I'm working on getting the Pantheon greeter to work with lightdm-devel from my unofficial repo. It works with lightdm from [community], but using 1.7.12 I can't interact with it, switching tty works so keyboard input work, but it is not registered by the greeter so I can't enter my password. Also, customizing is a hassle because we need to alter the dconf settings of the lightdm user. A partial solution would be to run the greeter as my user, but I don't like that. Don't know how the elementary guys are managing this, but changing your wallpaper also changes the greeter background.

Aprat from that, I don't have any problem with the workspace view (not running in a VM here), and gala is also not focusing newly opened applications here either.

Focus problem here too, i think pantheon-wallpaper is the problem

#58 2013-09-03 09:01:57

Alucryd
Developer
Website

roi.dm wrote:

Don't think so, I'm running gala-mutter38-bzr, so no pantheon-wallpaper here.

#59 2013-09-03 10:02:42

roi.dm

Alucryd wrote:
roi.dm wrote:

Don't think so, I'm running gala-mutter38-bzr, so no pantheon-wallpaper here.

i tried gala-mutter and ur right

if  i let nautilus handle the desktop fix the focus problem here

Last edited by roi.dm (2013-09-03 19:10:44)

#60 2013-09-03 18:41:50

doubleshot

C6M6 wrote:

here i've the indicator-session, indicator-sound, indicator-application, indicator-search/synapse, and indicator-messages and they all work (well the latter work more or less...), what indicator did you try, and were have you taken them?

well then... neither gtk2-ubuntu nor gtk3-ubuntu is installed on my system, I think that might be the answer for my little indicator problem (application, message and sysmonitor don't work btw). What a bummer, since I use this machine productively (no risk no fun =P) I'am not so keen on breaking my Gnome Session with some Canonical-"Enhanced" Toolkit.

Regarding the focus problem: with gala-mutter3.8 everything seems fine, except this ugly wallpaper clipping problem I mentioned before sad.

#61 2013-09-03 18:52:23

C6M6

doubleshot wrote:
C6M6 wrote:

well then... neither gtk2-ubuntu nor gtk3-ubuntu is installed on my system, I think that might be the answer for my little indicator problem (application, message and sysmonitor don't work btw). What a bummer, since I use this machine productively (no risk no fun =P) I'am not so keen on breaking my Gnome Session with some Canonical-"Enhanced" Toolkit.

Regarding the focus problem: with gala-mutter3.8 everything seems fine, except this ugly wallpaper clipping problem I mentioned before sad.

nope the gtk-ubuntu things aren't needed, i've the standard arch gtk and indicator-search/sound/session/application runs without problem, the only problematic one seem to be indicator-messages, e maybe some other indicator that i haven't used
trying arch+pantheon on a real machine and the wallpaper thing happen only with the mutter38 branch, if you use the trunk version it disappear, but other problem arise.... like the black wallpaper in the desktop-overview...
i thinks a workaround to the wallpaper clipping might be to use gala-mutter38 and pantheon-wallpaper together --> confirmed that works, but it's a suboptimal solution....

about the focus problem it's really a subtle one... with mutter38+pantheon-wallpaper the new windows will be opened in "background", while with gala alone works as it should (idem the trunk version, at least it seem)...

Last edited by C6M6 (2013-09-03 19:17:31)

#62 2013-09-06 02:04:05

step-2

how did you guys get it working ,

installed everything in the wiki ( even from the repo ) ,

and theme & window border is broken

http://i.imgur.com/CWzFLBV.jpg

any help ?

Last edited by step-2 (2013-09-06 02:13:30)

#63 2013-09-06 13:38:30

C6M6

if you are using the stable version of cerbere you nedd to add gala to the monitoring list

gsettings set org.pantheon.cerbere monitored-processes "['wingpanel','plank','slingshot-launcher --silent','pantheon-wallpaper','gala']"

for the theme you can use a gtk3.8 & pantheon theme (there aren't many available) or the elementary-gtk from alucryd github or aur, to set the theme use gnome-tweak-tool or dconf or

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme "gtk-theme-name"
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences theme "wm-border-name"
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface icon-theme "icon-theme-name"

about the focus problem, mutter has the same behaviour with/without pantheon-wallpaper

#64 2013-09-09 13:17:55

Depado

I installed pantheon-session-bzr but I could not compile wingpanel so I replaced it with wingpanel-bzr. It displays the Pantheon Shell in GDM but when I launch it, I get no WM and nothing except the plank bar. What am I doing wrong ? oO

-> Downloading wingpanel-0.2.3.tar.gz...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found

This is what I get when trying to download wingpanel and not wingpanel-bzr.
Is it broken just for me or... ?

Last edited by Depado (2013-09-09 13:20:25)

#65 2013-09-09 15:46:15

Alucryd
Developer
Website

Depado wrote:

I installed pantheon-session-bzr but I could not compile wingpanel so I replaced it with wingpanel-bzr. It displays the Pantheon Shell in GDM but when I launch it, I get no WM and nothing except the plank bar. What am I doing wrong ? oO

-> Downloading wingpanel-0.2.3.tar.gz...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found

This is what I get when trying to download wingpanel and not wingpanel-bzr.
Is it broken just for me or... ?

You probably did not add 'gala' to the monitored processes in cerbere. Use dconf-editor to do that.

As for wingpanel, I've fixed the PKGBUILD, they have (yet again) changed their URLs... All elementary projects seem to have a script which randomize this URL every once in a while, as well as try various extensions/compression with each release, it could be funny if it didn't mean I have to regularly update my source arrays.

#66 2013-09-11 15:36:17

Alucryd
Developer
Website

Quick update about switchboard, I have added stable versions of the about and pantheon-shell plugs in AUR, they will be build tonight on pkgbuild.com and will appear on the pantheon repo afterwards. Those two and the default-applications plug work flawlessly for me now.

I have patched the about plug to print relevant infos. I still need to update the help button, I think I'll make it open the wiki. Finally I'll probably remove the "Translate" and "Check for Upgrades" button. This is just me playing around and it's not very important, but tell me what you think.

#67 2013-09-12 13:05:58

orschiro
Website

Great to see the repository!

But can it be actually used to install Pantheon?

I do not see the pantheon-session package in the repo.

#68 2013-09-12 15:11:33

Alucryd
Developer
Website

orschiro wrote:

Great to see the repository!

But can it be actually used to install Pantheon?

I do not see the pantheon-session package in the repo.

Still no bzr support on pkgbuild.com, so no pantheon-session-bzr, and I forgot that the switchboard plugs depend on libpantheon-bzr, I can't build them yet. I'l try to negociate with someone who has root access there to have my patch applied locally since one patch for sth not widely used won't be enough to justify a new devtools release.

#69 2013-09-12 21:10:59

orschiro
Website

Well, I followed the Wiki and installed the core components but my Pantheon sessions looks a bit too minimal.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/30sq9n0.png

What am I missing then?

I was starting the session via the xinitrc example given below.

#70 2013-09-13 01:44:58

bwat47

orschiro wrote:

Well, I followed the Wiki and installed the core components but my Pantheon sessions looks a bit too minimal.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/30sq9n0.png

What am I missing then?

I was starting the session via the xinitrc example given below.

It looks like gala isn't running.

#71 2013-09-29 15:03:21

Gianfrix
Website

I'm trying to make a Pantheon-XFCE hybrid. I'm getting this weird border on wingpanel's indicators: http://i.imgur.com/XBQdyv8.png
How can I solve this? I'm actually using the greybird theme, but it happens with egtk too...

~ Gianfrix
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

#72 2013-10-08 15:14:16

sonartica

Hello there.

Using Alucryd's repository has any chances to make Pantheon Shell works? Already tried compiling from AUR and no good.

Greetings

#73 2013-10-10 14:44:33

Alucryd
Developer
Website

Gianfrix: Are you using the bzr version of egtk? I had no problems here, switched to numix now though.

sonartica: I can't have any bzr packages on that repo yet, so some things you still have to build yourself. What did you try to build already and what failed?

#74 2013-10-13 18:29:01

lemondreas

I didn't get pantheon-session to work.
Instead i managed to run gala-bzr & plank inside xfce which works quite nice.

But i miss the hot corners functionality.
I tried to select some options in switchboard and even did it in dconf-editor but nothing happens when the mouse moves into the corner.

Some days ago i used gala-mutter38-bzr/ which did the job as it should but now it won't compile anymore.

I would also like to use wingpanel but wether the official package nor the aur-packages work, alwas gets me this:

[_LOG_LEVEL_INFO 20:36:27.986475] Application.vala:77: Wingpanel version: 0.2.5
[_LOG_LEVEL_INFO 20:36:27.986581] Application.vala:79: Kernel version: 3.11.4-1-ARCH
[_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG 20:36:28.080579] [Gtk] Connecting to session manager
[_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG 20:36:28.082128] WingpanelApp.vala:41: Activating
[_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG 20:36:28.096297] Settings.vala:158: Loading settings from schema 'org.pantheon.desktop.wingpanel'
[_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG 20:36:28.097741] IndicatorFileModel.vala:41: Blacklisting libappmenu.so
[_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG 20:36:28.097822] IndicatorFileModel.vala:44: Blacklisted Indicators: ,libappmenu.so
[_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG 20:36:28.098022] IndicatorFileModel.vala:48: Indicator Directory: /usr/lib/indicators3/7
[_LOG_LEVEL_WARN 20:36:28.098104] IndicatorFileModel.vala:68: Unable to read indicators: File not found
[1]    8414 trace trap (core dumped)  wingpanel -d

Any help?

To those, who got pantheon-session to worK.
Do the hot corners work as well?
Or is it only ìn combination with xfce?

Last edited by lemondreas (2013-10-13 18:39:35)

#75 2013-10-18 20:44:50

nwxxeh

I'm using latest gala-bzr, and I have problem with no cursor after Pantheon loads. I can successfully use gala on XFCE, but not in Pantheon.

Board footer