You are not logged in.

#76 2013-10-25 17:25:45

svalmont
Website

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

I followed the Wiki but with one exception:  I added "exec dbus-launch gala &" before the line "exec cerbere" in .xinitrc.  Thought it would solve the problem issue those above have with gala not running.  My screen looks the same as the image above, just 4 blocks at the bottom with no cursor and a black background.  Is it possible  that line needs to be in .xinitrc but something else needs to be tweaked?

#77 2013-10-26 08:40:26

tydell
Website

svalmont wrote:

... and a black background...

need to install aur/pantheon-wallpaper-bzr and run it in .xinitrc as other.

#78 2013-10-26 20:02:41

svalmont
Website

Thanks, that got me a background now, but I've still have no mouse.  I'm guessing gala didn't start up.  Not sure what to do next.  When I try to run gala from the terminal it shows a Clutter error about being unable to find the OpenGL version.

Last edited by svalmont (2013-10-28 16:48:37)

#79 2013-11-09 17:49:47

Pylm

http://pastebin.com/mFvg7HTg
Can't compile indicator-pantheon-session-bzr.

#80 2013-11-10 16:47:44

Dyamon

Hi, I'm here looking for some help with the installation of Pantheon Shell (I'm relatively new of arch!). I tryied to install pantheon-session-bzr (with yaourt) but I got some issues with dependences stuff that I can't solve on my own...so I run into this topic but seems like all of you could at least start a session with this de.

What exactly am I supposed to install? I followed the Wiki and I downloaded the pantheon-session-bzr from the AUR, but it says that plank and plank-bzr and granite and granite-bzr fall in conflict. Can someone give me some advices?

I'm really sorry for the ultra newbie question!!!
Thanks in advance.

#81 2013-11-11 20:20:29

svalmont
Website

This used to work for me as well.  I've tried a fresh install and now I also get the conflicts.  I use Aura to install my AUR packages.

#82 2013-11-12 11:30:26

metak

Dyamon & svalmont

First, Dyamon, don't be sorry to ask... lol :-)

pantheon-session-bzr - needs plank
pantheon-session-bzr - also needs gala-bzr and gala-bzr needs plank-bzr. It creates a conflict between plank and plank-bzr. I think here lies the problem.

Try installing first plank-bzr and granite-bzr from aur and they will also provide plank and granite.
Or... modify gala-bzr PKGBUILD to depend on granite/plank instead of plank-bzr/granite-bzr.
Plank and granite are available in arch repositories.

Hope this helps.

#83 2013-11-12 14:42:46

Dyamon

Ok, thanks!!! I'll try as soon as possible...btw, (prepare yourself for another noobish question!....wait for it..........here it comes!!!)  what's the difference between * e *-bzr packages?

#84 2013-11-12 15:15:27

metak

Dyamon wrote:

Ok, thanks!!! I'll try as soon as possible...btw, (prepare yourself for another noobish question!....wait for it..........here it comes!!!)  what's the difference between * e *-bzr packages?

-bzr packages are latest revisions of something, similar to -git, -svn, etc. As always, you should be aware that this is unstable and changing rapidly so I would suggest you use stable packages if you're not sure what -bzr packages provide.
You can read more about it here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ca … rol_System

BTW, there is unofficial pantheon repository for arch provided by alucryd (he also maintains pantheon pkgbuilds in aur)?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pantheon

#85 2013-11-12 17:33:42

orschiro
Website

metak wrote:

BTW, there is unofficial pantheon repository for arch provided by alucryd (he also maintains pantheon pkgbuilds in aur)?

The last time I tried the packages from the repository, I was not able to successfully run a session.

@alucryd

Can you please provide more information on the status of the repo?

#86 2013-11-12 18:28:35

Dyamon

metak wrote:

bzr packages are latest revisions of something, similar to -git, -svn, etc. As always, you should be aware that this is unstable and changing rapidly so I would suggest you use stable packages if you're not sure what -bzr packages provide.

ok, thanks...is it ok to mix them? bzr and not-bzr packages, i mean...

metak wrote:

BTW, there is unofficial pantheon repository for arch provided by alucryd

Are you talking about this one?
http://pkgbuild.com/~alucryd/pantheon/
Should I use that one?

#87 2013-11-12 19:54:03

Pylm

screenshots please

#88 2013-11-12 22:42:49

metak

@ orschiro

I stopped using Pantheon, but I did tried adding that repo and installing it.
Then I followed the wiki and started session from .xinitrc and this is what I get:

2ueOU.png

@ Dyamon

Yes, that repo. If you don't want to build everything from aur you can use that repo. As for mixing the packages, I think it's better to either stick with one or the other but it depends on the packages and in most cases it should work.

#89 2013-11-13 07:34:39

orschiro
Website

@metak

Thanks for clarification!

#90 2013-11-13 11:32:05

Alucryd
Developer
Website

metak: Looking good smile

orschiro: As of not so long ago, my repo contains the whole pantheon experience (even all the things which don't work tongue). Those packages are automatically rebuilt every night starting 0 AM GMT+1. I'll update the wiki accordingly.

Dyamon: You can usually mix stable and bzr packages. The only troublesome package for now is noise-bzr, which specifically requires granite-bzr instead of granite, I wrote the PKGBUILD accordingly so pacman will tell you anyway.

BTW, I can't launch slingshot anymore, I'm getting a segmentation fault at launch. Does anyone else experience the same issue?

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

#91 2013-11-15 16:41:20

Dyamon

Ok, trying out some solutions, I at least got a blue screen with the application bar at the bottom of the screen. I usually start my de with startx, configuring .xinitrc, so I wrote exactly what is written in the wiki page, and added "exec dbus-launch gala &".

Some features are missing: for exemple there's no top bar and my mouse appears only in the beginning...then it disappears and I can't use it!

Is something missing? I don't understand the "add gala to the monitored processes for this to work" in the wiki...(tried to google it, but found nothing)

EDIT: i apparently fixed the mouse problem...still no top bar..lol

Last edited by Dyamon (2013-11-15 17:10:22)

#92 2013-11-15 17:01:12

Alucryd
Developer
Website

Dyamon wrote:

Ok, trying out some solutions, I at least got a blue screen with the application bar at the bottom of the screen. I usually start my de with startx, configuring .xinitrc, so I wrote exactly what is written in the wiki page, and added "exec dbus-launch gala &".

Some features are missing: for exemple there's no top bar and my mouse appears only in the beginning...then it disappears and I can't use it!

Is something missing? I don't understand the "add gala to the monitored processes for this to work" in the wiki...(tried to google it, but found nothing)

Both answers are on the wiki page. For wingpanel to launch you need at least an indicator installed. As for launching gala via cerbere, it is described in the "Autostart applications" section, either use dconf-editor (gtk) or gsettings (cli) to modify the relevant key.

#93 2013-11-15 17:26:52

metak

@ Dyamon

As Alucryd wrote, you have to launch dconf-editor and navigate to org.pantheon.cerbere and add 'gala' and you'll also want to install and use pantheon-wallpaper to draw background.

Here's a screenshot to show you how it should look like.

http://s0.uploads.im/AvOIT.png

@ Alucryd

Considering how ubuntu patches almost everything I've decided to try using gtk3-ubuntu and overlay-scrollbars, etc. from unity-for-arch repo. I know it replaces arch packages but I wanted to see if it would work. Switchboard and plug-ins are working! ;-) yay

http://s0.uploads.im/WmHaM.png
http://s0.uploads.im/rspM9.png

Last edited by metak (2013-11-15 17:27:46)

#94 2013-11-15 17:32:36

Dyamon

I think it's all ok with gala. And now let's talk about wingpanel. I thought indicator-pantheon-session-bzr should be enough...but I installed another indicator (to be sure!)...that's the output when I try to launch it from the terminal...

[federico@dyamon ~]$ wingpanel
[_LOG_LEVEL_INFO 18:22:50.487087] Application.vala:77: Wingpanel version: 0.2.5
[_LOG_LEVEL_INFO 18:22:50.487206] Application.vala:79: Kernel version: 3.11.6-1-ARCH
[_LOG_LEVEL_FATAL 18:22:50.554708] [GLib] g_error_free: assertion 'error != NULL' failed
[_LOG_LEVEL_FATAL 18:22:50.554754] Wingpanel will not function properly.
[_LOG_LEVEL_FATAL 18:22:50.555778] IndicatorFileModel.vala:91: Unable to load /usr/lib/indicators3/7/libsession.so
[_LOG_LEVEL_FATAL 18:22:50.555816] Wingpanel will not function properly.
[_LOG_LEVEL_FATAL 18:22:50.556890] IndicatorFileModel.vala:91: Unable to load /usr/lib/indicators3/7/libpower.so
[_LOG_LEVEL_FATAL 18:22:50.556932] Wingpanel will not function properly.
[_LOG_LEVEL_FATAL 18:22:50.557281] [GLib-GIO] g_settings_bind_with_mapping: assertion 'G_IS_SETTINGS (settings)' failed
[_LOG_LEVEL_FATAL 18:22:50.557317] Wingpanel will not function properly.
[_LOG_LEVEL_WARN 18:22:50.557610] [libindicator] IndicatorObject class does not have an accessible description.
[_LOG_LEVEL_WARN 18:22:50.566271] [LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB] Unable to get session bus: L'operazione è stata annullata
[_LOG_LEVEL_WARN 18:22:50.566334] [LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB] Unable to get session bus: L'operazione è stata annullata
Errore di segmentazione (core dumped)

Apparently, it can't load any indicator...do you have any suggest? Is it something with that cerbere monitor thing again?

EDIT: Owh...ok I'll try! Thanks a lot to both of you (...standing my neverending noob-ish questions!!!)

Last edited by Dyamon (2013-11-15 17:35:07)

#95 2013-11-15 17:34:17

C6M6

Alucryd wrote:

metak: Looking good smile

orschiro: As of not so long ago, my repo contains the whole pantheon experience (even all the things which don't work tongue). Those packages are automatically rebuilt every night starting 0 AM GMT+1. I'll update the wiki accordingly.

Dyamon: You can usually mix stable and bzr packages. The only troublesome package for now is noise-bzr, which specifically requires granite-bzr instead of granite, I wrote the PKGBUILD accordingly so pacman will tell you anyway.

BTW, I can't launch slingshot anymore, I'm getting a segmentation fault at launch. Does anyone else experience the same issue?

slingshot stable & bzr work here, but wingpanel stable still need to be built with vala0.16 to work with the indicator (otherwise segfault...), i think it's better to suggest to use wingpanel and cerbere bzr in the wiki.
ps: it's only me or indicator-session don't work anymore with gnome 3.10? (gnome-session-quit --logout/--power-off don't work too)... btw work with cinnamon-session... (and maybe with the ubuntu versione of those packages too)
alucryd will you add some other indicator to the repo? (eg. indicator-application and nm-applet-ubuntu) ...still hoping that the elementary guys will add the standard systray to wingpanel...

#96 2013-11-15 17:37:39

Alucryd
Developer
Website

@metak: I just hope Pantheon will not depend on Ubuntu patches in the future. For now it works pretty well with vanilla libs and no overlay scrollbars, fingers crossed. I don't plan on continuing working on Pantheon if it comes to that, not with the crazy additional work it would require, not to mention the conflicts with our vanilla libs. For instance, I tried packaging a newer libdbusmenu (13.10), which needs a "gtk/ubuntu.h" header so I gave up... I wonder how much more autistic Canonical will get.

As for switchboard, the power and elementary-tweaks plugs still fail here, they're stuck on loading, is that the same for you?

#97 2013-11-15 17:48:04

Alucryd
Developer
Website

C6M6: I don't mind adding some more indicators, providing I can get them to build (-Wno-deprecated-declaration did the trick for those I've taken over). As for systray, don't count on it, I read somewhere they considered systray a thing of the past (on that I kinda have to agree) and they will never support it.

#98 2013-11-15 18:27:44

metak

@ Alucryd: Honestly, I'm just playing with Pantheon and could never use it as a full-time desktop.
It's beyond frustrating to not be able to configure almost anything. With those Ubuntu packages installed the elementary-tweaks plug works (you can see it in screenshot I posted above). I also had the same problem as Dyamon with wingpanel segmentation and I solved it by installing bzr version. Your talent, energy and time are squandered on this one Alucryd, I'm afraid. wink

#99 2013-11-15 23:43:43

svalmont
Website

I just wanted to say, Alucryd; thank you for your work on Pantheon.  I hope to use this as a desktop and I'm sure others will too.  Pantheon is one of the best looking desktops out there.  Keep up the good work!

#100 2013-11-15 23:49:08

svalmont
Website

Dyamon how did you fix the mouse problem?

Board footer