You are not logged in.

#76 2012-12-07 05:27:15

farmerdave

Re: dbus-core removal [Solved]

I'm pretty sure this issue of dbus applies to me too. I have a relatively new install of Arch, and updated yesterday. I replaced dbus-core with dbus, plus updated filesystem, hwids, linux, linux-headers, and thunar.

I merged the .pacnew files, except for gshadow and shadow. The only differences in gshadow apart from root and user entries is the dbus entry
current has

dbus:!::

pacnew has

dbus:x::

In shadow, current has

dbus:!:15629:0:99999:7:::

pacnew has

dbus:x:14871::::::

Trouble I am having now is that after grub, Arch begins to boot, but I cannot get a graphical login screen. I tried to also boot just to a shell (commented out my exec command in .xinitrc), but same thing happens. All i see is the beginning of a boot and then the screen goes black.

#77 2012-12-07 12:13:50

czubek
Banned

cfr said:
I'm by no means certain but I don't think keeping the old dbus entries *and* adding the new ones would be a good idea since you will then have conflicting definitions for the dbus user/group's home/shell/etc.

Thank you cfr. You bring up a good point. I must assume a lot with Arch and will correct as you recommended.

Last edited by czubek (2012-12-07 12:14:30)

#78 2012-12-07 14:50:30

mcloaked

I updated three machines yesterday - what I did following advice from the mailing list was only to update the entries for dbus and uuidd by keeping the original passwd and group files except for the the lines with dbus and uuidd. For dbus I just changed the name tag and the command at the end (leaving it alone would have been fine also). For uuidd I put in the line from the pacnew file, so changing the uid (which had been 999 and is now 68). those were the only changes, and the shadow and gshadow files I left untouched. The systems work totally fine with only those two changes to /etc/passwd and /etc/group.

If you kept a copy of your original set of files it may be worth reverting and doing only these changes that I outlined above.

Mike C

#79 2012-12-07 17:29:45

karlzt

For me was the other way around: automounting now works with this update, and I removed the .pacnew (didn't even bother to see it).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education. - Einstein

Black holes are nothing but gigantic galactic segfaults

#80 2012-12-07 20:15:34

root

karlzt wrote:

For me was the other way around: automounting now works with this update, and I removed the .pacnew (didn't even bother to see it).

That is most likely because with the latest update the 'hack' that was removed has been restored as stated here.

As for simply deleting the .pacnew I am not sure if it was the wise way to handle the update. Check mcloaked's message for additional info.

\(o_X)/
                        'Cause I wanna be an Archy - An Archy in the UK // Sex Pistols

#81 2012-12-08 00:15:52

ppsalama

Please  finally... ..Could anybody indicate us (me, please) how to merge passwd, group, shadow, gshadow in safe steps? I am willing to kiss whomever it kindly. Attention, only kisses. smile
best regards

#82 2012-12-08 00:24:47

cfr

I just replaced the dbus lines which differed.

You don't need to change the uuid uid - I checked this with a developer when the change first arose and it is perfectly fine to leave whatever uid you were using before for uuid. So I ignore that difference.

I didn't make any other changes - just replaced old dbus lines with new dbus lines where old and new were different.

(Note: I'm not even sure that was necessary. But that's what I did.)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#83 2012-12-08 12:29:00

ppsalama

Thanks @cfr
Excuse my english but I need your help to interpret it

cfr wrote:

You don't need to change the uuid uid - I checked this with a developer when the change first arose and it is perfectly fine to leave whatever uid you were using before for uuid. So I ignore that difference.

Do you mean that any reference to uid in *.pacnew files (passwd, group, shadow, gshadow) I can ignore it? Then I must leave it as *pacnew say, Is it?

cfr wrote:

I just replaced old dbus lines with new dbus lines where old and new were different.

Oh... I am confused. There are a lot of lines in my passwd, group, shadow, gshadow files (old) with my config. Among these lines there are always a dbus line. Do you mean that I must copy everything related my config from my (old) files and paste in the right place in *pacnew.... but.... I must leave the dbus line as the *pacnew say (even if there is no dbus line? (and then renaming the pacnew files without ".pacnew)
Excuse me for so many questions, but is because the language.
Thank you very much again

Last edited by ppsalama (2012-12-08 12:40:17)

#84 2012-12-09 03:46:18

cfr

Well, you could. It is probably easier to copy the new dbus line to the old customised file, though.

If there is no entry for dbus in the new files, something is wrong.

Re. uid of uuid: I didn't mean you should generally ignore uid changes - just I know it is OK to stay with the old uid for uuid specifically.

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#85 2012-12-13 10:48:13

amadar
Banned

jasonwryan wrote:
amadar wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

I can confirm that, using udiskie, automounting has gone south with the new dbus.

My family's from down south, and that's not a bad thing, so I'm going to assume you meant automounting has not gone bad.

Not as far south as where I am from. Also, please do not attempt to troll me in a support thread...

Further south than Peru, South America?

#86 2012-12-13 13:46:12

ppsalama

cfr wrote:

Well, you could. It is probably easier to copy the new dbus line to the old customised file, though.

If there is no entry for dbus in the new files, something is wrong.

Re. uid of uuid: I didn't mean you should generally ignore uid changes - just I know it is OK to stay with the old uid for uuid specifically.

WellI updated, I did nothing, I rebooted, prayed (a lot) and all the same (well) without any error log. Review the differences between my files and pacnew and are virtually identical except as regards my own settings. So I left it as is (my old ones). Anyway I do not like leaving pacnew's "loose" out there. So for now I will not by "Solved" my case and will apply the saying that "if it goes well ... do not touch it!
In addition, I research by the forums (even in several languages) for a week, and if this were so critical should have dozens and dozens of posts from people who screwed up. So I assume that most have done this.

Thanks...
(sorry for my english)

#87 2012-12-13 23:37:13

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

amadar wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:
amadar wrote:

My family's from down south, and that's not a bad thing, so I'm going to assume you meant automounting has not gone bad.

Not as far south as where I am from. Also, please do not attempt to troll me in a support thread...

Further south than Peru, South America?

Do NOT troll this thread, you are totally off-topic and add no value at all here.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#88 2012-12-19 15:31:31

boomshalek

Hi all

I have read this thread two times now and still cannot find an overall answer what needs to be done if one (like me) has suppressed the changes (that means I have kept the old files and deleted the 4 new _.pacnew ones).

Can someone help me out what I might need to change in a quick summary?

Would be very nice. TIA

#89 2012-12-19 22:18:53

cfr

boomshalek wrote:

Hi all

I have read this thread two times now and still cannot find an overall answer what needs to be done if one (like me) has suppressed the changes (that means I have kept the old files and deleted the 4 new _.pacnew ones).

Can someone help me out what I might need to change in a quick summary?

Would be very nice. TIA

Get a copy of the new default files and compare with yours?

#90 2012-12-22 09:01:46

boomshalek

cfr wrote:

Get a copy of the new default files and compare with yours?

Right. Using the Packages-Section of Archlinux Homepage. Shame on me. Thank you

Board footer