You are not logged in.

#26 2013-04-06 01:31:25

AndrzejL

Re: VirtualBox Can't Find USB Devices

DSpider wrote:

Sorry, I skipped a step by mistake... I meant to right click the VM - Settings - USB - Enable USB Controller, but yours is already checked by the looks of this screenshot: http://postimg.org/image/5kjhc7uh9/

No problem. I thought that this is what happened so I attached a screenie of the settings that I had checked.

DSpider wrote:

This is odd... Which OS are you running as guest? Because you may need to install the Guest Additions (on the guest OS, obviously, it's why they're called guest additions). And, umm, "Test"? Test as in what? If it's a Windows guest then you probably shouldn't select "Other" as type.

Test is a general name for my "any linux from iso" machine. If I add Windows machine - it has the same problem.

DSpider wrote:

Anyway. USB devices should at least show up in the list (http://postimg.org/image/g9x64h6a5/). You're saying that they show up on the host, but VirtualBox doesn't see them.

Yup. Mouse. 3 USB hard drives. 1 pendrive. All present and accounted for in host OS - VirtualBox fails to see them.

DSpider wrote:

Ok... I would probably remove VirtualBox entirely, reboot, reinstall VirtualBox and the extension pack following the wiki, and reboot again - speaking of which, please don't use anything else but 'makepkg -s' to compile the extension pack. If you're going to use the AUR, use it properly.

I will. Thanks. I will remove the current version virtualbox-bin (which I compiled using the makepkg -s ./ - as I always do with all packages from AUR) and I will yet again follow the wiki and will try to install and reboot.

DSpider wrote:

You can install VirtualBox itself from the official repositories (using just pacman). The AUR version ("virtualbox-bin") is compiled by Oracle, kept mainly for comparison against the one in the official repositories.

Yes - that's the main reason I used it in the first place - to see if it will work.

Regards. Will reply soonish with the info if reinstalling and reboot helped.

Andrzej

The worst thing about censorship is ██████ ██ ████ ████████████ and ██████ ███████ ███ ███████████.

#27 2013-04-06 01:59:34

AndrzejL

Heh...

Superweird... Well... This is what I did. I have uninstalled the virtualbox-bin package. I ran:

updatedb

as root and then when that finished I ran:

locate vbox
locate virtualbox

and removed (using common sense) any leftovers like old udev-rules and some old conf files.

After that I followed the wiki (just as before) and installed virtualbox package plus deps and added myself to the vboxusers group.

Rebooted... It works fine now - had to install the Extension - but that's fine.

Thanks DSpider for Your time and patience - I am all sorted with this issue smile.

Regards.

Andrzej

The worst thing about censorship is ██████ ██ ████ ████████████ and ██████ ███████ ███ ███████████.

#28 2013-04-11 03:39:01

aefs

I have the same exact issue as AndrzejL except reinstalling the package did not solve the issue for me

user is part of vboxusers group and nothing funny in .bashrc

/dev/vboxusb does not exist and 'VBoxManage list usbhost' output is <None>

Fresh install of arch and regular usb devices work on the host

#29 2013-04-12 00:09:56

aefs

A conditional statement in /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh was causing the script to exit before creating the usb device tree (/dev/vboxusb)

if test -n "$class" -a "$class" -eq "$usb_class_hub"
  then
      exit 0
  fi

$usb_class_hub is a constant set = 09 and $class gets passed from cd /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/10-vboxdrv.rules where it is called $attr{bDeviceClass}. When I checked the value being passed for $class it was in fact = 09. I'm not sure what the reason is for exiting is when those are equal but it was breaking usb functionality for guests. I commented it out and the usb device tree gets created properly and guest usb works

#30 2013-04-12 00:49:53

AndrzejL

Now that's a great investigative work and 2 very useful posts.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards.

Andrzej

#31 2013-05-16 16:46:29

becatlibra

USB was working fine for me in VirtualBox until recently.  Admittedly it took me a lot of fiddling to get it to work previously.  I had the 'export VBOX_USB=usbfs' in place in my .bashrc, I had custom udev rules put into place by suggestion of someone, etc.  Everything was okay a few months ago and I went to use it today and it's broken.

Same ERROR message as before, when trying to access settings for ANY vm:

Failed to access the USB subsystem.
Could not load the Host USB Proxy service: VERR_NOT_FOUND.

Details:

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005)
Component: 
Host
Interface: 
IHost {30678943-32df-4830-b413-931b25ac86a0}
Callee: 
IMachine {22781af3-1c96-4126-9edf-67a020e0e858}

I uninstalled everything VirtualBox and tried starting over.  I removed the .bashrc entry, removed the udev rules, etc.  Previously I had the AUR 'virtualbox-bin' package.  I have switched to the official 'virtualbox' package with the addition of the 'virtualbox-ext-oracle' package for USB 2.0 support.

I am a member of storage and vboxusers groups.  I even tried the recent edit suggested for /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh and that did nothing as well (this has now been reverted).  At this point, I'm out of ideas and entirely open to suggestions.  I really don't understand why this is such an issue with Arch - I simply need this to work when I need it smile

Thanks

Benjamin

#32 2013-05-16 17:06:39

ijanos

Guys, usbfs is removed from newer kernels, if you remove
  export VBOX_USB=usbfs

and relogin, it will just work.

EDIT: oh, great, did I just replied to a necrobumped thread?

Last edited by ijanos (2013-05-16 17:15:59)

#33 2013-05-16 17:30:05

ewaller
Administrator

ijanos wrote:

oh, great, did I just replied to a necrobumped thread?

Yes, but .... It shows great insight and is completely appropriate big_smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#34 2013-05-16 23:00:10

aefs

becatlibra wrote:

I am a member of storage and vboxusers groups.  I even tried the recent edit suggested for /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxCreateUSBNode.sh and that did nothing as well (this has now been reverted).  At this point, I'm out of ideas and entirely open to suggestions.  I really don't understand why this is such an issue with Arch - I simply need this to work when I need it smile

Thanks

Benjamin

Ben, is the usb dev tree being created? ls /dev/vboxusb
Are you using MATE as a DE by chance?

#35 2013-05-17 20:29:04

DSpider

becatlibra wrote:

USB was working fine for me in VirtualBox until recently.  [...] Everything was okay a few months ago and I went to use it today and it's broken.

Do other USB devices work?

You probably updated the linux package (the Linux kernel), and you forgot to reboot. ALWAYS reboot after a kernel update.

Last edited by DSpider (2013-05-18 21:13:17)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#36 2013-06-24 11:45:58

alejandro.perez

Hi folks,

here is my (stupid) solution to this problem. I was always being buggied by this USB HOST NOT FOUND error every time I was trying to update virtual machine options. The problem was related with ad-hoc device creation. If you don't have a USB device connected to the host, /dev/vboxusb is not created since /proc/bus/usb does not exist. Once you connect one single device, even if you unplug it afterwards, the device persists.

Regards

#37 2013-07-17 06:16:39

bartonc

Hope this helps some other poor, lost soul:
3.9.9-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 3 22:45:16 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

local/virtualbox 4.2.16-1
local/virtualbox-extension-pack 4.2.16-2
local/virtualbox-host-modules 4.2.16-1

sudo systemctl start vboxservice
sudo systemctl enable vboxservice

#38 2013-11-20 22:41:55

bigblondewolf

Hi guys

I had the unexplainable usb error from virtualbox too.
Turned out my virtualbox and extension pack differ in version and were incompatible. I use the extension pack from virtualbox-ext-oracle from the AUR and it did not get updated at last system upgrade. Just you make sure you are running the same version and download and update virtualbox-ext-oracle.

Cheers
Oggy

Board footer