You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-01 21:11:16

andrekp

[solved] kworker processes

I've noticed recently that I have a number of variously numbered kworker processes going.  I don't think they've always been there.  Doing research I found that people have complained about a problem when these processes use up lots of CPU or memory.  Various explanations have been made, and various "fixes" with apparently varied success, have been tried.

In MY case, I've just got a bunch of the processes (15 at this moment), but they don't seem to be taking any significant CPU or memory and don't seem to have any appreciable effect.

My question is, whether having many kworker processes going, but doing apparently little is an issue by itself, or only if they start taking up CPU and memory? 

Thanks

[solved]: to keep it simple, APPARENTLY it only matters if they are actually causing discernible problems.

Last edited by andrekp (2013-02-02 15:31:20)

#2 2013-02-01 21:59:33

karol
Archivist

Re: [solved] kworker processes

#3 2013-02-01 22:35:36

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Moving to Newbie Corner.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#4 2013-02-02 15:29:49

andrekp

OK.

As an aside, MAYBE you shouldn't presume that someone is a newbie or that a question is perhaps a newbie question not worthy of placement in the Kernel section of this forum (which is to what it applies)  just because the person asking isn't a kernel dev.  Not everyone using Arch knows everything about every process - especially if there isn't even a wiki entry for it.  If one were looking for info about kworker process from what I knew at the time (which was that it was a kernel-related process), one would be first looking in the Kernel threads.  I think that questions about particular systems should probably BE in the forum for those systems because that's where one would first look, whether someone thinks it's a stupid question or not.

(I admittedly missed the thread above when it came up near the end of a multi-page page search result.  That's my mistake.)

#5 2013-02-03 03:26:31

karol
Archivist

andrekp wrote:

If one were looking for info about kworker process from what I knew at the time (which was that it was a kernel-related process), one would be first looking in the Kernel threads.

Why not search the whole forum e.g. via Google:

site:bbs.archlinux.org kworker

instead of browsing some forum sections? That's what I did.

Board footer