You are not logged in.

#26 2013-02-02 03:38:05

w201

Re: [SOLVED] Need Help Configuring My URXVT Terminal in Awesome

Hi anonymous_user- I think I read about 10 different wikis including the arch wiki dedicated to urxvt. The arch wiki was very helpful, but I either missed something or something was missing, becuase I could not get it to work.

All the guys commenting on this thread completely got me off on the right track. My .xinitrc config was not right.

Then I found this page:
http://wiki.afterstep.org/index.php?tit … n_Tutorial

I created my .Xresources based on that syntax...and I don't say this often, but OMFG! I got it to work.

BTW, case-sensitivity definitely matters. I think in my case there were too many different variables that were crap and needed to be fixed.

You guys rock!

#27 2013-02-03 10:39:54

skanky

Sorry I dropped off the thread, had to go to bed.
What I don't understand was why that Xresources file worked on my machine.

Still, good it's sorted.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#28 2013-02-03 12:03:45

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Some people (ie key bindings, window manager, etc) launch urxvt  with a classname.  If you set a classname on the commandline to "urxvt" then the lower case entries in Xresources will work.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#29 2013-02-03 22:12:00

skanky

Trilby wrote:

Some people (ie key bindings, window manager, etc) launch urxvt  with a classname.  If you set a classname on the commandline to "urxvt" then the lower case entries in Xresources will work.

Good point thanks. But I was testing by issuing the command:

$ urxvt

The WM is reporting the class to be URxvt and title urxvt.

I might look into it again when I get a chance. I thought I'd got a handle on how this all worked when I moved from Xdefaults to Xresources, but looks like there's a fairly large hole in my knowledge there.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

Board footer